Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,522 members, 7,816,279 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:41 AM

The Number 1 Thing That Disqualifies Candidates From First Round Interview - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / The Number 1 Thing That Disqualifies Candidates From First Round Interview (27705 Views)

I Just Dicovered D Worst Thing That Can Make A Man Commit Suicide / What's 1 Thing You're Really Proud Of? / 10 Habits That Disqualify Candidates From Getting Interview Invites/jobs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Number 1 Thing That Disqualifies Candidates From First Round Interview by JARUSHUB: 12:03pm On Mar 01, 2018
If you’re not a confident interviewer, you may feel as if navigating an interview is akin to walking through a minefield—eventually, you’re bound to make an explosive move. But after speaking with several recruiters and hiring managers, we found out that there aren’t many moves you can make that will automatically disqualify you from getting the job. But there is one thing you can do—the No. 1 thing, if you will—that will make any recruiter or hiring manager say sayonara to you. What is it? It’s trashing a previous employer, they say.

“The No. 1 mistake a candidate might make is to disparage his or her prior employer—either the company itself or people who worked there,” says Laura Handrick, who works as FitSmallBusiness’ HR analyst. “No one wants to hire someone who talks badly of others. Employers want team players, not people who carry negative baggage. Plus, negative talk about former coworkers, the company, or a prior supervisor simply serves to make an applicant look like a whiner. A recruiter will see this person as a future ‘problem.’ and in spite of any great qualifications, they’re not likely to get called back for a second interview .”

Jordan Rayboy, CEO of Rayboy Insider Search, agrees. “If a candidate is overly negative about a current or past employer, it plants seeds of doubt in a hiring manager’s mind,” he explains. “First, that the candidate has a negative attitude in general—and no one wants to hire a potential dark cloud onto their team. Next, that the candidate will likely bad-mouth their company in the future if they end up getting hired. And it also shows a lack of good decision-making skills—as in, what to share in certain situations and what not to. Lastly, and most importantly, it’s a sign the candidate tends to blame others when things don’t work out. They don’t take ownership of their share of responsibility for things. It’s always someone else’s fault—like their current or past employer’s fault—that they didn’t hit their numbers, or didn’t last more than a year there, or anything else that may have happened.”

Trashing a previous employer is something recruiters and hiring managers hateso much that they may ask leading questions in order to see if you’re willing to bad-mouth a boss.

“In an interview, I can identify a bad team player right away by asking questions that lead the candidate talk about his previous team experiences,” says Dave Lopes, director of recruiting for Badger Maps. “When the priorities of that individual supersede the priorities and growth of the team or group, you know you’ll have someone who will not fit well.”

What’s more, “interviewers are, typically, good at getting a candidate to open up,” points out Handrick. “And once a candidate feels comfortable, they might be tempted to say something too revealing or disparaging, such as ‘I left my last company because my boss was a jerk who made me work overtime,’ or ‘they didn’t realize how good I was, so I quit when they wouldn’t give me a raise.’” These types of sayings are red flags to recruiters.

You may very well have had a terrible former boss or are leaving a toxic work environment, but the fact is, recruiters and hiring manager don’t want to hear about it. So what should you say instead? “Instead of talking negatively about past or current employers, candidates should focus on what they learned in different scenarios, how they grew, and what they are looking to move towards as opposed to running away from,” Rayboy says. “Most managers prefer hiring candidates that are looking for a launch pad instead of a landing pad.”

Another thing you can try to do, advises Jordan Wu, CEO of CloserIQ, is to “stick to facts, not judgments. You may want to consider saying, ‘I struggled to find exciting career paths for my growth at the company,’ instead of, ‘the company doesn’t promote top performers.’”

source: http://www.jarushub.com/the-number-1-thing-that-disqualifies-candidates-from-first-round-interview/

cc: lalasticlala mynd44

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Number 1 Thing That Disqualifies Candidates From First Round Interview by dingbang(m): 12:07pm On Mar 01, 2018
cool
Re: The Number 1 Thing That Disqualifies Candidates From First Round Interview by simplex2: 12:48pm On Mar 01, 2018
grin

“Instead of talking negatively about past or current employers, candidates should focus on what they learned in different scenarios, how they grew, and what they are looking to move towards as opposed to running away from,”

I can imagine the scenario.

Interviewer: Why do you want to leave your present place of work to join us?

Me: (goes ballistic) Fvcked up ars'holes! They take me for a slave...mvtherfckers didn't even give me a car as a sales person yet they expect me to generate market leads everyday! Who does that?

Interviewer: Huh?

Me: Yes, i have to be jumping molue at every turn! Then when I don't meet target, they cut 25% of my money in a stupid scheme they call variable pay.

Interviewer: Really?

Me: (now fuming) I have never ever gotten 100% of my pay, its either they cut it because of target, or because I missed a meeting or because I came late...silly excuses just to make sure I remain frustrated. And my co sales person never gets the same treatment because I seriously suspect she is sleeping with the line manager!

Interviewer: For real?

Me: Yes, the bit'ch screws even the HR manager, never gets a query, always getting paid 100% of her salary. But I learnt a lot of things in that place shaa.

Interviewer: Like?

Me: Never trust your boss! That's why I need this job...I suspect he is planning to sack me. i need to surprise him by resigning before he does that. Its called 'being ahead of the game'.

Interviewer: (smiles)

Me: So, when do I start?

111 Likes 8 Shares

Re: The Number 1 Thing That Disqualifies Candidates From First Round Interview by corpershun: 2:21pm On Mar 01, 2018
simplex2:
grin

Me: (goes ballistic) Fvcked up ars'holes! They take me for a slave...mvtherfckers didn't even give me a car as a sales person yet they expect me to generate market leads everyday! Who does that?

Me: Yes, i have to be jumping molue at every turn! Then when I don't meet target, they cut 25% of my money in a stupid scheme they call variable pay.

Me: (now fuming) I have never ever gotten 100% of my pay, its either they cut it because of target, or because I missed a meeting or because I came late...silly excuses just to make sure I remain frustrated. And my co sales person never gets the same treatment because I seriously suspect she is sleeping with the line manager!

Me: Yes, the bit'ch screws even the HR manager, never gets a query, always getting paid 100% of her salary. But I learnt a lot of things in that place shaa.

Me: Never trust your boss! That's why I need this job...I suspect he is planning to sack me. i need to surprise him by resigning before he does that. Its called 'being ahead of the game'.

Interviewer: We will get back to you, (Smiles) and says Thank You

Haha

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Number 1 Thing That Disqualifies Candidates From First Round Interview by sulmeza(m): 5:18pm On Mar 01, 2018
simplex2:
grin

lol...sick

5 Likes

Re: The Number 1 Thing That Disqualifies Candidates From First Round Interview by eddyclassic: 7:17am On Mar 03, 2018
K
Re: The Number 1 Thing That Disqualifies Candidates From First Round Interview by habss: 7:26am On Mar 03, 2018
u can start next week

2 Likes

Re: The Number 1 Thing That Disqualifies Candidates From First Round Interview by Mologi(m): 7:27am On Mar 03, 2018
Is not having a good phone....

IPHONE 8 FOR SALE

Re: The Number 1 Thing That Disqualifies Candidates From First Round Interview by lonelydora: 7:29am On Mar 03, 2018
And what if i was invited without even applying because of the country manager's complimentary card he gave my dad in the village? Will they turn me down?

5 Likes

Re: The Number 1 Thing That Disqualifies Candidates From First Round Interview by lonelydora: 7:32am On Mar 03, 2018
simplex2:
grin

Hahahahahahahahahha....You are not serious.

1 Like

Re: The Number 1 Thing That Disqualifies Candidates From First Round Interview by lonelydora: 7:33am On Mar 03, 2018
Mologi:
Is not having a good phone....

IPHONE 8 FOR SALE

I won't buy it...we were just toldthat Tecno is better than IPhones in the other thread. Call me when you have Tecno

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Number 1 Thing That Disqualifies Candidates From First Round Interview by Yankee101: 7:34am On Mar 03, 2018
Just be yourself, research your industry the job description plus how you can add value.

Be confident. Dress appropriately, groom and give your best shot

4 Likes

Re: The Number 1 Thing That Disqualifies Candidates From First Round Interview by miarhpe: 7:44am On Mar 03, 2018
So true.

I see getting a new job as getting a new relationship. Don't advertise your ex to your prospective boo in a bad light. It's a red flag.

The more reason why you have to be civil in your breakup.

3 Likes

Re: The Number 1 Thing That Disqualifies Candidates From First Round Interview by Sweetcollins: 7:48am On Mar 03, 2018
Just cos say job no dey land...
Re: The Number 1 Thing That Disqualifies Candidates From First Round Interview by rawlineo2000(m): 7:49am On Mar 03, 2018
really
Re: The Number 1 Thing That Disqualifies Candidates From First Round Interview by bowintrillz(m): 7:50am On Mar 03, 2018
lonelydora:

I won't buy it...we were just toldthat Tecno is better than IPhones in the other thread. Call me when you have Tecno

Bro u aint got no chill grin

4 Likes

Re: The Number 1 Thing That Disqualifies Candidates From First Round Interview by lordsharks(m): 7:50am On Mar 03, 2018
for them journalist
Re: The Number 1 Thing That Disqualifies Candidates From First Round Interview by Jamaticulus(m): 7:51am On Mar 03, 2018
grin
Re: The Number 1 Thing That Disqualifies Candidates From First Round Interview by Talkingboy: 7:52am On Mar 03, 2018
Yoruba go say "Iya lo n je mo kudun Ponmo "
Re: The Number 1 Thing That Disqualifies Candidates From First Round Interview by OluwaTobiloba03(f): 7:54am On Mar 03, 2018
simplex2:
grin

Hilarious! cheesy ...Just perfect + you write really well too.

4 Likes

Re: The Number 1 Thing That Disqualifies Candidates From First Round Interview by Gkay1(m): 7:58am On Mar 03, 2018
ok
Re: The Number 1 Thing That Disqualifies Candidates From First Round Interview by Lovintus2(m): 8:05am On Mar 03, 2018
lonelydora:

Haha you don't get it. He wants to sell it and buy a Tecno phone

6 Likes

Re: The Number 1 Thing That Disqualifies Candidates From First Round Interview by miketayo(m): 8:10am On Mar 03, 2018
dont over think things. if u will get a job u will. undecided
Re: The Number 1 Thing That Disqualifies Candidates From First Round Interview by Pat081: 8:13am On Mar 03, 2018
Op hmmmmm to mi u hv to kno or hv godfather or mother without dat u re ntin in dis country

1 Like

Re: The Number 1 Thing That Disqualifies Candidates From First Round Interview by sirusX(m): 8:30am On Mar 03, 2018
Lovintus2:

Haha you don't get it. He wants to sell it and buy a Tecno phone
Chai...see wahala from another thread ooo

Anywayz, on a lighter note...what if the bad experiences were mentioned and you listed wats in which you countered it and made it a success....doesn’t that make you resourceful?

1 Like

Re: The Number 1 Thing That Disqualifies Candidates From First Round Interview by sunbbo(m): 8:37am On Mar 03, 2018
Good one..
Re: The Number 1 Thing That Disqualifies Candidates From First Round Interview by Nobody: 8:44am On Mar 03, 2018
lonelydora:

Bruh no vex grin
Re: The Number 1 Thing That Disqualifies Candidates From First Round Interview by wwwtortoise(m): 8:45am On Mar 03, 2018
simplex2:
grin

Hilarious grin
You must be a salesman

2 Likes

Re: The Number 1 Thing That Disqualifies Candidates From First Round Interview by Kylekent59: 8:52am On Mar 03, 2018
Sometimes[i][/i] I wonder if it is my sweet words of wisdom they wonna hear or my handwork they wonna see.

All this interview questions are shit. If were a boss and I wonna recruit, all I need is seriousness, punctuality, and hardwork and not all dis tell me about urself,why do u need dis job, undecided undecided

2 Likes

Re: The Number 1 Thing That Disqualifies Candidates From First Round Interview by dfrost: 8:54am On Mar 03, 2018
lonelydora:
And what if i was invited without even applying because of the country manager's complimentary card he gave my dad in the village? Will they turn me down?

Business card you mean? It used to be widely accepted as complimentary card but now, better off as business card.
Re: The Number 1 Thing That Disqualifies Candidates From First Round Interview by yusufabiola88(m): 9:49am On Mar 03, 2018
You may want to consider saying, ‘I struggled to find exciting
career paths for my growth at the company,’ instead of, ‘the company doesn’t promote
top performers.’”
.......on point.

1 Like

Re: The Number 1 Thing That Disqualifies Candidates From First Round Interview by DoreJoe(m): 9:56am On Mar 03, 2018
What's your salary expectation
grin
simplex2:
grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Federal Civil Service Commission Aptitude Test for Delta State / Updated Vacancies 3.0 '20 / INEC Begins Election Staff Recruitment, Opens Portal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.