Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,755 members, 7,817,090 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:32 AM

Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting (21559 Views)

Ohanaeze Sacks Eze Ndigbo Of FCT, Says Igbo Kingdom Can’t Be Established Outside / Chuogo Okoye Slumps And Dies (Eze Ndigbo Of Agege, Lagos) / Shadrach Erebulu, Adou: "I Don’t Allow Women To Wear Trousers In My Palace" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by Hunter22: 7:07am On Mar 05, 2018
Ohaneze ndi ara! That's the only sanction they can give.. And got no sanction toward actualization of Igbo leader.. Mtcheeeew

1 Like

Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by Mynd44: 7:08am On Mar 05, 2018
Dj84:
A woman shall not wear a man’s garment, nor shall a man put on a woman’s cloak, for whoever does these things is an abomination to the LORD your God

What if she isnt Christian?

Is christianity part of their culture?

2 Likes

Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by Nobody: 7:09am On Mar 05, 2018
Mynd44:

*face palm*

Your brain is wired to be biased but it’s not your fault. Turn a new leaf mister.

2 Likes

Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by Probz(m): 7:09am On Mar 05, 2018
Wearing trousers in Igbo culture for men and women isn’t cultural or traditional. It’s purely a white man’s adaptation.

They should’ve all been tying the wrapper if tradition meant that much to them.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by Probz(m): 7:10am On Mar 05, 2018
[quote author=Dj84 post=65569747][/quote]

And who says bifurcated trunks are gender specific?

When do you think men started wearing trousers themselves? You think that was always a thing?

1 Like

Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by Nobody: 7:10am On Mar 05, 2018
LastSurvivor11:

We are going to disappointed u son..
We are in support of them..
You can wear your trousers at home or anywhere you want but not to a traditional settings where u have igwes and ichies if you understand what that means..
We have culture..
We have tradition..
exactly nwanne..
Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by Mynd44: 7:10am On Mar 05, 2018
gbosaa:

In the north, do you think the only reaction from the men would be to just turn their back or walk off?

Their was a thread/news off a former FCT minister using the police and army to assault women who wear trousers and other clothing’s to offices. He did all that and got lots of praises.
So because there is a gross abuse of womens' rights in the North we should do same in the south?

1 Like

Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by Probz(m): 7:11am On Mar 05, 2018
Mynd44:

What if she isnt Christian?

Is christianity part of their culture?

Someone needs to define what culture is first. You know people like to cherry-pick what is and isn’t culture.

Someone can start off by defining unadulterated Igbo culture for a start.

2 Likes

Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by Mynd44: 7:12am On Mar 05, 2018
LastSurvivor11:

We are going to disappointed u son..
We are in support of them..
You can wear your trousers at home or anywhere you want but not to a traditional settings where u have igwes and ichies if you understand what that means..
We have culture..
We have tradition..
You have culture and tradition yet prayers were done to a western God.

Why didn't they pray to the traditional God?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by Mynd44: 7:13am On Mar 05, 2018
Probz:

Someone needs to define what culture is first. You know people like to cherry-pick what is and isn’t culture.

Someone can start off by defining unadulterated Igbo culture for a start.
Yup.

If that isn't done, it becomes a mad house.

Cherry-picking amounts to victimization

1 Like

Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by bukatyne(f): 7:13am On Mar 05, 2018
[quote author=Dj84 post=65569747][/quote]
The same verse tells you not to mix clothing e.g.suits, plant different crops on the same plot or build a balcony.

I hope you don't do any of the above.

2 Likes

Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by Nobody: 7:17am On Mar 05, 2018
Mynd44:

So because there is a gross abuse of womens' rights in the North we should do same in the south?

Who are ‘we’?

I am an Igbo man. I do go to meetings. There are rules, some are unwritten but mostly common sense.

Dress code during meetings are important in the meetings that I’m part of. Trousers and certain clothings by women are tolerated but not in certain gathering. Our young women dance in very short/mini skirts but that doesn’t mean they would attend meetings wearing those.
Some of these rules are not strict or enforced but people do abide by them.

2 Likes

Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by Gggg102(m): 7:20am On Mar 05, 2018
Mynd44:

maybe because they have separated the religious part of culture from the others.
Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by MissWrite(f): 7:21am On Mar 05, 2018
Mynd44:

Lmaoooo. True though

Lol.

Hmmm! A mod quoted me today; my day is going to be good.
Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by VERDA: 7:24am On Mar 05, 2018
Mynd44:

And who came up with such doctrines?

A person's dressing is part of her freedom of expression/speech and you have freedom of speech as part of your human right

Nobody is against anybodies freedom, it's tradition and culture for Christ's sake, she can dress however she wants at home or any other setting, but if your going to a traditional or cultural meeting, dress accordingly or stay in your house, nobody will beat you,it's that simple, we just like conflicts and complicating things .
Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by cococandy(f): 7:27am On Mar 05, 2018
ybalogs:
It will surely serve as deterrent to others if a punishment is meted on her and not just boycotting her prayers. Tradition over civilisation any day.
Does tradition over civilization make sense to you?

Read that phrase again. So you prefer to keep doing something even if it’s bad or harmful because it’s the tradition rather than accept civilization? You don’t want to be civil? Would You rather belong in a pack of monkeys?
Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by olasaad(f): 7:28am On Mar 05, 2018
madridguy:
Are you just knowing their high level of hypocrisy?

As in the thing is getting too much
Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by cococandy(f): 7:28am On Mar 05, 2018
Interestingly most of those dress codes only police women. Don’t cover up your misogyny with love of culture.

gbosaa:

Who are ‘we’?

I am an Igbo man. I do go to meetings. There are rules, some are unwritten but mostly common sense.

Dress code during meetings are important in the meetings that I’m part of. Trousers and certain clothings by women are tolerated but not in certain gathering. Our young women dance in very short/mini skirts but that doesn’t mean they would attend meetings wearing those.
Some of these rules are not strict or enforced but people do abide by them.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by cococandy(f): 7:30am On Mar 05, 2018
Jackson619:
Culture is culture. It is meant to be obeyed
no it’s not. Culture is dynamic

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by ybalogs(m): 7:31am On Mar 05, 2018
cococandy:

Does tradition over civilization make sense to you?

Read that phrase again. So you prefer to keep doing something even if it’s bad or harmful because it’s the tradition rather than accept civilization? You don’t want to be civil? You rather belong in a pack of monkeys?
so you just called only me 'a monkeys' abi. Oya pretty cococandy , please come out let's talk.
Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by Mynd44: 7:31am On Mar 05, 2018
VERDA:

Nobody is against anybodies freedom, it's tradition and culture for Christ's sake, she can dress however she wants at home or any other setting, but if your going to a traditional or cultural meeting, dress accordingly or stay in your house, nobody will beat you,it's that simple, we just like conflicts and complicating things .
Is wearing trousers part of the tradition for men or inherited from the white men?

1 Like

Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by kitaatita: 7:33am On Mar 05, 2018
arinze198:
Even the host, the traditional ruler of Ndigbo in Alimosho LGA, Eze Lawrence Eze did not participate in the prayer and had to turn his back on Mrs. Nweke in order not to be part of the prayer.

There is no such title as traditional ruler of Ndigbo anywhere. Eze ndigbo title does not exist

1 Like

Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by olubless90: 7:33am On Mar 05, 2018
culture must be encourage in our society.... copycopy, followfollow dey kill Nigerian culture
Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by cococandy(f): 7:34am On Mar 05, 2018
ybalogs:
so you just called only me 'a monkeys' abi. Oya pretty cococandy , please come out let's talk.
I meant to say would you rather belong in a pack of monkeys. It’s a question. Sorry
Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by cococandy(f): 7:35am On Mar 05, 2018
Mynd44:

Is wearing trousers part of the tradition for men or inherited from the white men?
they are hypocrites. Don’t waste your time

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by DrMuzungu(m): 7:38am On Mar 05, 2018
This is one of the reasons why Africa is backward. Focusing on irrelevant things, such is wearing trousers or skirt. Of course, that is way more important than poverty, healthcare, crime rate, politics. Rulers know better. Well, not really. Bloody 1diots. Yeah, sure, we can't fight corruption, we can't fight crime, we can't empower people, but at least that woman won't wear trousers, we are moving forward!!!

2 Likes

Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by madridguy(m): 7:42am On Mar 05, 2018
Reason no one take them serious again.

olasaad:

As in the thing is getting too much
Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by Gggg102(m): 7:42am On Mar 05, 2018
cococandy:
they are hypocrites. Don’t waste your time

both men and women are not supposed to wear trousers at that meeting.
Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by Honesty007(m): 7:43am On Mar 05, 2018
bukatyne:
I understand the 'abomination' committed by wearing trousers....

I don't understand the 'abomination' of praying.

Were they riled that

1. She Wore trousers?.... Against their customs

2. Prayed in a gathering of men? ..... She was nominated

3. Praying in trousers?

I will say the woman knew the customs and should have abided or moved on.

Deuteronomy 22:5 .i support the ohaneze on their walking out on her.if traditional rulers are obeying the biblical directive of not wearing trousers where pastors have failed,then christians must be careful.women must not allow their emotion to lead them to hell.God is no respecter of persons.
Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by jegz25(m): 7:47am On Mar 05, 2018
olasaad:
See them supporting the elders but if this happens in the north they start condemning the act as barbaric
I'm telling you. Too hypocrites and sentimental
Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by Nobody: 7:48am On Mar 05, 2018
Interesting from these politicians. I would have not moment ed if it's an igwe or obi etc that did this but ohanaze, these thieves who said they represent igboland, I laugh. What do they know about culture?

When it comes to lying and being very dubious so as to make money through politics,they forgot that elders expecially traditional elders are mandated not to lie.

Anyway,what's my own. Provided it's decent, whether skirts,gown or pants are welcomed. Hypocrites.
Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by Honesty007(m): 7:49am On Mar 05, 2018
Mynd44:

You speak as if Jesus died for the jews only? r u limiting God to the Americans? r u limiting christianity to a particular nation? Christianity is not a religion,it is a revelation.if athiests are getting born again by researching biblical truth and are obeying it. why is it the reverse case!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

That Akwa -ocha Must Leave On / Kokoro Inu Eje (blood Diesease) / 2016 Ofala: Obi Of Onitsha Kicks Off Festival - Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.