Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,669 members, 7,816,754 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:29 PM

Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting (21550 Views)

Ohanaeze Sacks Eze Ndigbo Of FCT, Says Igbo Kingdom Can’t Be Established Outside / Chuogo Okoye Slumps And Dies (Eze Ndigbo Of Agege, Lagos) / Shadrach Erebulu, Adou: "I Don’t Allow Women To Wear Trousers In My Palace" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by fearnoman(m): 9:41am On Mar 05, 2018
Winners72:
That is to tell you that doctrines like that of deeper life is the best and the world is beginning to know it now.

point of corrections Deepr life has no doctrine but Bible doctrine
Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by crackhaus: 9:42am On Mar 05, 2018
bukatyne:
I understand the 'abomination' committed by wearing trousers....

I don't understand the 'abomination' of praying.

Were they riled that

1. She Wore trousers?.... Against their customs

2. Prayed in a gathering of men? ..... She was nominated

3. Praying in trousers?

I will say the woman knew the customs and should have abided or moved on.
That is the point.

It's not by force to attend a meeting whose rules one does not like.
Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by 0monnak0da: 9:43am On Mar 05, 2018
But what tradition are they saying ? Did Eboes wear trousers in the past before colonization?
No history of Eboe men wearing trousers
How can they say trousers are for men?
Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by orumba(m): 10:06am On Mar 05, 2018
Very wrong to such an event. their still limit on how woman wear trousers.
Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by Augiiee(m): 10:18am On Mar 05, 2018
kabrud:
Hmmm. Coming from the apostles of civilisation. Watch how their shildren tear them into tiny pieces few minutes from now. cheesy grin
Where are all those red cap hypocrites, thatt would have been wailing and shouting marginalization if it was done to them by another ethnic group?

1 Like

Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by NavalObi37: 10:57am On Mar 05, 2018
Probz:
Trousers fit the anatomy of females more than men.

VERY WRONG
THE HOLY BIBLE CONDEMNED SUCH
DEUTERONOMY 22:5

1 Like

Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by Geesaintagape: 10:59am On Mar 05, 2018
The lady is very stupid for wearing such to gathering of elders.
The sanction will serve as deterant to others.
Ohaneze gathering is not club nor campus no playground
Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by NavalObi37: 11:00am On Mar 05, 2018
Sunexy:
I don't see what's wrong with the trouser but since it's tradition, let them observe the tradition everywhere no matter where you are
EVERYTHING IS WRONG WITH THAT COS THE HOLY BIBLE CONDEMNS SUCH
Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by NavalObi37: 11:02am On Mar 05, 2018
Mynd44:

And who came up with such doctrines?

A person's dressing is part of her freedom of expression/speech and you have freedom of speech as part of your human right

VERY WRONG...
THAT'S BIBLICAL DOCTRINE... THE HOLY BIBLE CONDEMNS SUCH ACT OF WOMEN PUTTING ON MEN'S GARMENT AND VICE VERSA
Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by Sunexy(m): 11:03am On Mar 05, 2018
NavalObi37:

EVERYTHING IS WRONG WITH THAT COS THE HOLY BIBLE CONDEMNS SUCH
Lol..is the meeting a Bible ground??

1 Like

Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by Geesaintagape: 11:03am On Mar 05, 2018
The lady is very stupid for wearing such to gathering of elders.
The sanction will serve as deterant to others.
Ohaneze is not club nor campus no playground
Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by Probz(m): 11:11am On Mar 05, 2018
NavalObi37:

VERY WRONG
THE HOLY BIBLE CONDEMNED SUCH

Why are Nigerians so bloody stupid?

Were men wearing trousers in bible times? Were they around before colonialism? Ask yourself Use questions or keep quoting the bible out of turn.

2 Likes

Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by augustine: 11:42am On Mar 05, 2018
Mynd44:

And who came up with such doctrines?

A person's dressing is part of her freedom of expression/speech and you have freedom of speech as part of your human right
Groups and associations also have bylaws and dress codes. if you belong to such cultural groups that prohibits a particular attire for a particular gender, you are expected to fall in line or withdraw membership.
Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by soliddust2020: 11:53am On Mar 05, 2018
She is supposed to know the dress code to such meetings. In my place men are not supposed to wear trousers to such meetings, you must tie wrapper as a man or woman. Its a cultural meeting not a corporate meeting.

1 Like

Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by Obi1kenobi(m): 12:14pm On Mar 05, 2018
NavalObi37:

VERY WRONG...
THAT'S BIBLICAL DOCTRINE... THE HOLY BIBLE CONDEMNS SUCH ACT OF WOMEN PUTTING ON MEN'S GARMENT AND VICE VERSA

Stop being stewpid. The Biblical Jews did not wear trousers - men or women. Nowhere has it ever been said that trousers are clothes for men, except among Nigerian cretins. Even Arab, Persian and Turkish women have won trousers for centuries and you're hear quoting nonsense from the Bible.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by Probz(m): 12:22pm On Mar 05, 2018
Obi1kenobi:

Stop being stewpid. The Biblical Jews did not wear trousers - men or women. Nowhere has it ever been said that trousers are clothes for men, except among Nigerian cretins. Even Arab, Persian and Turkish women have won trousers for centuries and you're hear quoting nonsense from the Bible.

Nigeria as a country’s brainwashed. I weep for this nation.

1 Like

Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by Obi1kenobi(m): 12:36pm On Mar 05, 2018
Probz:

Nigeria as a country’s brainwashed. I weep for this nation.

The annoying thing is even otherwise enlightened people are so incredibly obtuse about things like this. I remember when I was in a UNN fellowship and there was a discussion among students about dress code and this girl, feeling like Virgin Mary, stood up and was rambling about how no true virtuous woman could wear trousers and how sinful those that do are and blah....blah...blah. This profound ignorance was coming from the mouth of a girl I knew us a a bright, hardworking scholar who later had a first class degree in one of the Biological Sciences courses. Just can't use their damn brains. angry Keep daftly quoting Deuteronomy, yet, they cannot appreciate context and can't show you where in this Deuteronomy it was spelt out that trousers are men's clothes.

3 Likes

Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by bukatyne(f): 12:54pm On Mar 05, 2018
crackhaus:

That is the point.

It's not by force to attend a meeting whose rules one does not like.

I honestly don't understand how I will carry my two left legs from my house on a hot Sunday to a meeting I am not ready to abide to their rules. And the next day is Monday?

They even told her to pray when she knew that women don't pray in the gathering of men/ elderly men and she stood up to pray? It did not occur to her that they were sarcastic and telling her that her dressing was inappropriate?

When they saw she wasn't discerning and told her to stop the prayers, she actually waited till everyone walked out before she stopped?

The woman is not wise.
Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by bukatyne(f): 12:57pm On Mar 05, 2018
Mynd44:

What if the trousers are made of ankara, does that make it any less an abonination?

Lets ask these questions and see that a lot of this traditions are just used to target women and pull them down

How does not wearing trousers to a traditional gathering pull a woman down?

If she is so concerned and must wear trousers, why doesn't she come with a change of cloth or ignore the meetings altogether.

I am all for women's rights however, let's not add stupidity to it.

A woman who can't obey simple rules might not be fit to be allowed 'freedom' in the first place

1 Like

Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by Obi1kenobi(m): 1:18pm On Mar 05, 2018
bukatyne:

How does not wearing trousers to a traditional gathering pull a woman down?

If she is so concerned and must wear trousers, why doesn't she come with a change of cloth or ignore the meetings altogether.

I am all for women's rights however, let's not add stupidity to it.

A woman who can't obey simple rules might not be fit to be allowed 'freedom' in the first place

Because it is sexist stupidity, imposing standards on women that are not applicable to men in order to put women in their place.

If you're banning women from wearing trousers, there has to be a practical reason. No man should arrogate to himself the right to tell women what to wear. That you are a woman who happily submits herself to be dominated by insecure, male idiots doesn't mean other self-respecting women should concede to such.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by ewa26: 1:24pm On Mar 05, 2018
Obi1kenobi:

Because it is sexist stupidity, imposing standards on women that are not applicable to men in order to put women in their place.

If you're banning women from wearing trousers, there has to be a practical reason. No man should arrogate to himself the right to tell women what to wear. That you are a woman who happily submits herself to be dominated by insecure, male idiots doesn't mean other self-respecting women should concede to such.

Hi hon, is it ok for igbo men to wear shimi underneath their wrapper
Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by ewa26: 1:26pm On Mar 05, 2018
More to the point is it common
Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by shallysgirl: 1:29pm On Mar 05, 2018
0monnak0da:
But what tradition are they saying ? Did Eboes wear trousers in the past before colonization?
No history of Eboe men wearing trousers
How can they say trousers are for men?
See this yeriba man. SMH.

1 Like

Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by Obi1kenobi(m): 1:31pm On Mar 05, 2018
ewa26:

Hi hon, is it ok for igbo men to wear shimi underneath their wrapper

I don't know what Igbo men wear underneath their wrapper, and it's none of my business. Why would I care what my fellow man is wearing as his undies? grin So when we have meetings, people should start inspecting the underwear of attendees? Do you have any point at all?
Why not ban the Igbo men entirely from wearing wrappers. Afterall, na woman cloth be dat, abi?

2 Likes

Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by ewa26: 1:33pm On Mar 05, 2018
Obi1kenobi:

I don't know what Igbo men wear underneath their wrapper, and it's none of my business. Why would I care what my fellow man is wearing as his undies? grin So when we have meetings, people should start inspecting the underwear of attendees? Do you have any point at all?
Why not ban the Igbo men entirely from wearing wrappers. Afterall, na woman cloth be dat, abi?

Ok how common is it for ibo men to wear wrapper More so under the age of 40
Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by Obi1kenobi(m): 1:50pm On Mar 05, 2018
ewa26:

Ok how common is it for ibo men to wear wrapper More so under the age of 40

What does that have to do with anything? My father wore wrappers around the house when I was growing up, though he prefers shorts these days. My grandfather wore wrappers. Infact, the fact that people have started discarding wrappers doesn't favour your argument, because what it means is that you have adopted a more Westernized culture to be more "modern". Igbo men and many South-South and Middle Belt groups have been wearing wrappers for generations, but have incorporated more trousers to their modern attire. But it is women wearing trousers that is your business, abi?

3 Likes

Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by Nobody: 1:51pm On Mar 05, 2018
arinze198:
An Igbo woman, Mrs. Esther Nweke who went to Ohanaeze Ndigbo Social Cultural meeting wearing a trouser, got what she did not bargain after she was nominated to say prayer at the meeting in Lagos.

The traditional rulers, chiefs and other leaders present at the meeting sighted her with her trouser and immediately ordered her to stop the prayer and pronounced that she had committed an abomination.

P.M.EXPRESS reports that her offence was she came to the meeting on trousers and was said to have been erroneously nominated for the prayer.

Read http://pmexpressng.com/ohanaeze-ndigbo-sanction-woman-trousers/

However, Mrs. Nweke insisted that since she had been nominated to say the closing prayer she would go on. The leaders walked out of the venue of the meeting insisting that they will not partake in such prayer which will attract curses on them.

This caused serious amusement and embarrassment to other women who were present at the meeting.
Even the host, the traditional ruler of Ndigbo in Alimosho LGA, Eze Lawrence Eze did not participate in the prayer and had to turn his back on Mrs. Nweke in order not to be part of the prayer.

P.M.EXPRESS asked why the woman was treated in such a manner. Some of the leaders insisted that Mrs. Nweke had committed an abomination by wearing trousers to the Ohanaeze meeting, talk less of praying in the meeting which they claimed was against the culture and tradition in Igbo land.

It was gathered that her appearance may attract further sanctions to serve as deterrent to other women who might try such in the further.

Eze Lawrence Eze summoned the meeting of the Igbo leaders to proffer solutions to the lingering crises in Alimosho LGA CDAs over the years.
It was gathered that the Igbo people in the LG were divided as such every unit had to form their owner Ohanaeze group; to the extent that the monarch found it difficult knowing who to deal with among the factions.

At the meeting the leaders agreed to unite, pursue a common goal and resolved to set up a committee to look into the crises and resolve them finally.
It was at the meeting that Mrs. Nweke was nominated to say the closing prayer that another problem came up and the women at the meeting were not happy over the ugly incident.

However, it was gathered that in any Igbo social gathering that married women were not supposed to wear trousers to attend such meetings. The women were expected to tie their wrappers signifying that they were married and responsible, but it turned out that such rules were not complied with in the cities.

Where is the Womans Pinshure u dis idiot
Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by Nobody: 1:52pm On Mar 05, 2018
BabaRamota1980:

...the leaders are wrong. This meeting was not held in Igboland. The tradition of Igboland stops in Igboland.

Wen did it become a Yoruba problem
Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by ewa26: 2:07pm On Mar 05, 2018
Obi1kenobi:

What does that have to do with anything? My father wore wrappers around the house when I was growing up, though he prefers shorts these days. My grandfather wore wrappers. Infact, the fact that people have started discarding wrappers doesn't favour your argument, because what it means is that you have adopted a more Westernized culture to be more "modern". Igbo men and many South-South and Middle Belt groups have been wearing wrappers for generations, but have incorporated more trousers to their modern attire. But it is women wearing trousers that is your business, abi?

No hon I agree that men should wear wrappers and there should not be one rule for men one rule for women, am on you side hun

erm did your dad or grandpa ever wear shimi under d wrapper?
Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by crackhaus: 4:54pm On Mar 05, 2018
Obi1kenobi:

You're missing the point. Yes it is sexist to want to place standards on what women should wear.

So your next action to show anger at sexism is to go to a traditional meeting (which no one forced you to attend) wearing something that is against the sexist dress code for same meeting? cheesy
This is how enlightened people go about fighting sexism eh?

Clap for yourself.
Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by crackhaus: 5:02pm On Mar 05, 2018
bukatyne:

I honestly don't understand how I will carry my two left legs from my house on a hot Sunday to a meeting I am not ready to abide to their rules. And the next day is Monday?

They even told her to pray when she knew that women don't pray in the gathering of men/ elderly men and she stood up to pray? It did not occur to her that they were sarcastic and telling her that her dressing was inappropriate?

When they saw she wasn't discerning and told her to stop the prayers, she actually waited till everyone walked out before she stopped?

The woman is not wise.
She was just being troublesome, nothing more.

If sometime in the future, she calls for a referendum to look into dress codes and what should be allowed for women, no one is going to take her serious or even give her a listening ear...certainly not after this stunt.

So I don't see what she has succeeded in doing at the end of the day.
Re: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Sanction Woman For Wearing Trousers To Meeting by bukatyne(f): 5:20pm On Mar 05, 2018
Obi1kenobi:

First you nothing about me and people who do know that I will NOT show up wherever I find the rules obnoxious.

An association by whoever gave a rule that women shouldn't wear trousers and a woman decides to wear trousers there?

She is so unwise.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

That Akwa -ocha Must Leave On / Kokoro Inu Eje (blood Diesease) / 2016 Ofala: Obi Of Onitsha Kicks Off Festival - Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.