Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,884 members, 7,828,140 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 02:40 AM

When Does Your Grade No Longer Matter To Employers? - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / When Does Your Grade No Longer Matter To Employers? (13406 Views)

Warning To Employers / See The Smart Way A Man Delivers His Resume To Employers. (Photos) / Dear Employers This Is What Motivates Us, So Stop Asking - Topwritersden (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When Does Your Grade No Longer Matter To Employers? by Neurotika: 8:09am On Mar 06, 2018
I don't think I totally agree with this. Even politicians that have graduated before I was born sometimes flaunts their academic achievements when vying for a political post. Of course you will put your job experience and skills first, but you still have to state your academic achievements.

Besides when you are in a job function that doesn't align with your career interest, it's ok to indicate to employers you were a maestro in what you studied in which your interest lie.

When you have it you flaunt it. It's as simple as that. I cannot burn night candles to be the best in my class and keep mum about it cos its 10 years back.

1 Like

Re: When Does Your Grade No Longer Matter To Employers? by ariesbull: 8:12am On Mar 06, 2018
izzou:

Thanks sir. Passion is key

I have learnt something from your explanations

Do you know that many of the big businessmen today didn't even study what they are doing

Do you know that many rich men today didn't even study what they are doing

Passion and talents would feed you for ever.....

Let's say you enjoy talking to people and you can convince people to take a good decision....the best thing is go into sales and franchise business

If you are a person that enjoys writing...go into content development

If you have a knack for tweaking phones and gadget ..pls go into software and gadget business

Of you enjoy driving ..pls go into logistics and Uber business...who knows tomorrow you would have your own firm

If you enjoy fashion and have a good dress sense that people tell you to help them buy clothes...what are you waiting for ....go into fashion business

If you make yourself up and people like it...pls go into costumes and make up...who knows you can be consultant to celebrities

If you have good cooking style and people enjoy your food...then what the hell are you doing in other business the natural calling is in good business....who knows if you can be KFC tomorrow

So fĂșck that degree, look inward and know what you want and go for it

2 Likes

Re: When Does Your Grade No Longer Matter To Employers? by ariesbull: 8:16am On Mar 06, 2018
Neurotika:
I don't think I totally agree with this. Even politicians that have graduated before I was born sometimes flaunts their academic achievements when vying for a political post. Of course you will put your job experience and skills first, but you still have to state your academic achievements.

Besides when you are in a job function that doesn't align with your career interest, it's ok to indicate to employers you were a maestro in what you studied in which your interest lie.

When you have it you flaunt it. It's as simple as that. I cannot burn night candles to be the best in my class and keep mum about it cos its 10 years back.

I have a firm that I know that is into ICT at Admiralty lekki, most of the software developers thee don't even have a degree ,most or highest are OND, Bros these small boys are earning what those starch shirt wearing bank regional managers are earning

In overseas, when government sees that a person is Good on his field they would use him..beside that how many certificate Buhari, Dino Meleye , tinubu and many of them habe

Bros University is good but don't let it limit you

1 Like

Re: When Does Your Grade No Longer Matter To Employers? by Nobody: 8:17am On Mar 06, 2018
purem:
WHAT ABOUT PEOPLE THAT DOESN'T HAVE ANY

God dey, life is not all about certificates, and God does not ask for certificates when he wants to bless, but however try to get Western education if you can, no matter the level, it leans perspective and widens horizon.
Re: When Does Your Grade No Longer Matter To Employers? by fatymore(f): 8:18am On Mar 06, 2018
ariesbull:
To be honest, be it fresh graduate or old graduate ,I have come to realize one thing....there are tons of things that you don't learn from school but you get it from experience or passion....I don't even bother about degree when recruiting or advising for recruitment

What I ask is simple

What are you bringing to your table.....

With these wishy washy certificates ....I have realised that those that perform better in work are those with even low degrees and mind you

Your degree doesn't make you decree in work place

Experience and passion counts today
not all sir... is Just because Nigeria educational system is bad and some people who don't deserves the grade are awarded that's why we have the mediocre having the good grades and the let me call them intelligent getting lower grades..I have come across people with good grades that can defend it... One thing recruiters should do is, in respect of grades, all graduates should be given an open entry to display their skills...

1 Like

Re: When Does Your Grade No Longer Matter To Employers? by izzou(m): 8:26am On Mar 06, 2018
ariesbull:

Do you know that many of the big businessmen today didn't even study what they are doing

Do you know that many rich men today didn't even study what they are doing

Passion and talents would feed you for ever.....

Let's say you enjoy talking to people and you can convince people to take a good decision....the best thing is go into sales and franchise business

If you are a person that enjoys writing...go into content development

If you have a knack for tweaking phones and gadget ..pls go into software and gadget business

Of you enjoy driving ..pls go into logistics and Uber business...who knows tomorrow you would have your own firm

If you enjoy fashion and have a good dress sense that people tell you to help them buy clothes...what are you waiting for ....go into fashion business

If you make yourself up and people like it...pls go into costumes and make up...who knows you can be consultant to celebrities

If you have good cooking style and people enjoy your food...then what the hell are you doing in other business the natural calling is in good business....who knows if you can be KFC tomorrow

So fĂșck that degree, look inward and know what you want and go for it

Sometimes,i tend to think that I wasted my time getting a degree

I have started pursuing my dreams to. I hope to be a multi millionaire before 28

2 Likes

Re: When Does Your Grade No Longer Matter To Employers? by okonja(m): 8:28am On Mar 06, 2018
Caustics:
when i was working in the bank, my manager never went to university but he was earning more than us. The difference was that he had over 30 years experience in the bank as a head security man, he settled numerous disputes and even uncovered various high profile frauds. Unfortunately he was sacked when the bank changed name.

Sacked or Relieved of duty?

There is a difference between "Dismissed and terminated"
Re: When Does Your Grade No Longer Matter To Employers? by Nobody: 8:31am On Mar 06, 2018
ariesbull:

I have a firm that I know that is into ICT at Admiralty lekki, most of the software developers thee don't even have a degree ,most or highest are OND, Bros these small boys are earning what those starch shirt wearing bank regional managers are earning

In overseas, when government sees that a person is Good on his field they would use him..beside that how many certificate Buhari, Dino Meleye , tinubu and many of them habe

I often feel sad when people keep relating degrees and certificates as though it's some meal ticket that can only be qualified by the amount of money it fetches you, this is not the goal of true education, education is meant to enlighten people and change the way the see the world, the way they think, a certificate is just a basic proof they attended a school.

Lemme ask you a question, are you proud having the sort of illiterates we have as lawmakers making laws that would affect your company or business?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: When Does Your Grade No Longer Matter To Employers? by greatfoly(m): 8:35am On Mar 06, 2018
bro.
Can I DM you?
ariesbull:

Re: When Does Your Grade No Longer Matter To Employers? by Neurotika: 8:43am On Mar 06, 2018
ariesbull:

You are missing the point. No one ever said anything about University limiting anyone. The point is why will you hide your achievements?. Especially if it's a rare feat. The most rational thing people do is to rank them. Skills and experience first before stating academic achievements concisely.

Of what reason will any of those highly skilled software developers you mentioned hide their reputable certificates (Microsoft, Oracle etc) that they got way back when seeking for a new job. If they don't have it, it's fine. Their skills and experience should suffice. But if they do, why hide it?

Have you worked in any of the big four? Most of them mandate you to have ICAN/ACCA certification as you are on the job. If you fail any course more than twice, they fire you. No matter how skilled and experienced you are on the job, the policy is sacrosanct. So tell me, if I got ICAN Ten years ago and have 6 years experience as an accountant, I shouldn't state the ICAN certification cos it's too way back? I don't understand. Or are University degrees not certificates too?

1 Like

Re: When Does Your Grade No Longer Matter To Employers? by miketayo(m): 8:51am On Mar 06, 2018
After your first year of experience it's useless
Re: When Does Your Grade No Longer Matter To Employers? by purem(m): 9:04am On Mar 06, 2018
SnowJay92:

God dey, life is not all about certificates, and God does not ask for certificates when he wants to bless, but however try to get Western education if you can, no matter the level, it leans perspective and widens horizon.

Thanks bro

But Western education

Been hearing about it

Can you please explain?
Re: When Does Your Grade No Longer Matter To Employers? by EmmyDJourno: 9:23am On Mar 06, 2018
When your attitude and mannerism do not depict problem solving abilities or the ability to think out of the box

I know a friend with first class in B.Sc and M.Sc but was close to tears last week when he told me his sad runnings with interviews

Employers want practical, streetsmart problem solvers not people good in Physics and Chemistry

2 Likes

Re: When Does Your Grade No Longer Matter To Employers? by MISTAICEY02288(m): 9:32am On Mar 06, 2018
ariesbull:

Well, I think it would be nice to keep it private but it is in the area of IT , cloud computing and motion sensors....though at the nascent stage....worked for 8yrs and decided that I am done working for people...been a founder at 30s wouldn't be a bad idea.....took it up bro

So that's the way .....we give God the glory

Thats cool. All the best with it

1 Like

Re: When Does Your Grade No Longer Matter To Employers? by speedy01(m): 10:47am On Mar 06, 2018
experience really matter so much that you can't believe
Re: When Does Your Grade No Longer Matter To Employers? by livebynite: 11:04am On Mar 06, 2018
Kalaba:
As a fresh graduate, I have found most of your topics interesting... Thanks.
FTC... Dedicated to all 2018 prospective Youth corp members...

You are very welcome, have you had garri today ?

Do not forget always challenge any trader inflating the price of garri in the market

1 Like

Re: When Does Your Grade No Longer Matter To Employers? by Nobody: 11:25am On Mar 06, 2018
purem:

Thanks bro

But Western education

Been hearing about it

Can you please explain?

Western education is the school as we know it, primary>secondary>University/any other higher institution, all na Western education.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Amaiden Energy Nigeria Latest Job Recruitment (8 Positions) / KPMG Multiple Graduate Trainees 2018 Job Recruitment / Afritv Recruitment Process

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.