Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,488 members, 7,819,772 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:56 PM

Theft Of Intellectual Property - Please, Advice - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Theft Of Intellectual Property - Please, Advice (427 Views)

Top 10 Movies Every Intellectual Person Should Watch / Free To Air Or Gotv, Which Should I Buy, Please Advice / Intellectual Movies Needed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Theft Of Intellectual Property - Please, Advice by Spiritfun: 2:47pm On Mar 05, 2018
Sometime in 2013, I got involved in Nollywood as an actor. I sort for ways to work my way to limelight but it was very difficult due to corruption and unprofessionalism that has overwhelmed the industry.

Since my secondary school days, I developed passion for acting and I pursued it with unprecedented determination. I was so good as acting that it won me a three year scholarship when I was in SS1. I was featured as a lead character in a drama we acted during graduation ceremony of our SS3 students then. Due to my outstanding performance, one of the invited guests decided to reward me with the scholarship. I AM STILL VERY GRATEFUL TO THE MAN, THOUGH HE'S LATE.

This passion was still burning in me, despite the fact that it somehow became passive from the time I left secondary school till around February, 2013 (nearly 15 years), but I knew within me that I have something to offer in the industry.

Then came this time I joined Nollywood properly in Port Harcourt in 2013. Everyone I met and worked with confirmed that I have a great talent but wining a significant role was very difficult because directors and other crew members demands money from actors before awarding any significant role to them. Even actresses pay for roles sometimes in cash and other times with their bodies.

It became very frustrating to me because I had no money to give anyone for movie roles. Then I decided to further my my ambition in the industry through script writing. Within weeks, I discovered another hidden talent in me that I can actually write quality and suspense filled movie scripts. I engaged my brain and I developed, wrote and screenplayed more than 4 movie scripts.

Then I decided to test the waters with my maiden script with the hope that if the script scales through, at least It will fetch me some good roles when the movie will be shot. I called the attention of notable directors in the industry but they all turned me down with reason that they do not accept scripts from random writers.

I met one of the directors I have worked with here in Port Harcourt. He requested for the script which I gladly gave him to study. After like a month, he called me to a hotel and was full of excitement. He told me that the script is very outstanding and of good quality.

I asked him to advise on the way forward, he promised me that he will shoot the movie in few months and compensate me partly with an agreed amount of money, lead role and my intellectual right acknowledged.

I was very glad that at least I had arrived. When I found out that the man was not fulfilling his promise after a long while, I called him but he gave me excuses that he was busy sourcing fund for the movie. At I point, I found out that he has sold the script to a third party without my consent. I confronted him but he denied it. I asked him to return the script he objected.

Since 2013 till date I have neither recovered my money or the script as every effort I made towards that direction was frustrated by this director. I am thinking of commencing a legal action against him since I have lots of evidence including our chats, phone calls and other ones I prefer to keep discrete now.

Please, I need advice on the best way to handle this.
Re: Theft Of Intellectual Property - Please, Advice by friendlyadvice: 2:52pm On Mar 05, 2018
grin looool you are f*cked go home and cry
Re: Theft Of Intellectual Property - Please, Advice by Wealthandjobs: 2:52pm On Mar 05, 2018
Spiritfun:
Sometime in 2013, I got involved in Nollywood as an actor. I sort for ways to work my way to limelight but it was very difficult due to corruption and unprofessionalism that has overwhelmed the industry.

Since my secondary school days, I developed passion for acting and I pursued it with unprecedented determination. I was so good as acting that it won me a three year scholarship when I was in SS1. I was featured as a lead character in a drama we acted during graduation ceremony of our SS3 students then. Due to my outstanding performance, one of the invited guests decided to reward me with the scholarship. I AM STILL VERY GRATEFUL TO THE MAN, THOUGH HE'S LATE.

This passion was still burning in me, despite the fact that it somehow became passive from the time I left secondary school till around February, 2013 (nearly 15 years), but I knew within me that I have something to offer in the industry.

Then came this time I joined Nollywood properly in Port Harcourt in 2013. Everyone I met and worked with confirmed that I have a great talent but wining a significant role was very difficult because directors and other crew members demands money from actors before awarding any significant role to them. Even actresses pay for roles sometimes in cash and other times with their bodies.

It became very frustrating to me because I had no money to give anyone for movie roles. Then I decided to further my my ambition in the industry through script writing. Within weeks, I discovered another hidden talent in me that I can actually write quality and suspense filled movie scripts. I engaged my brain and I developed, wrote and screenplayed more than 4 movie scripts.

Then I decided to test the waters with my maiden script with the hope that if the script scales through, at least It will fetch me some good roles when the movie will be shot. I called the attention of notable directors in the industry but they all turned me down with reason that they do not accept scripts from random writers.

I met one of the directors I have worked with here in Port Harcourt. He requested for the script which I gladly gave him to study. After like a month, he called me to a hotel and was full of excitement. He told me that the script is very outstanding and of good quality.

I asked him to advise on the way forward, he promised me that he will shoot the movie in few months and compensate me partly with an agreed amount of money, lead role and my intellectual right acknowledged.

I was very glad that at least I had arrived. When I found out that the man was not fulfilling his promise after a long while, I called him but he gave me excuses that he was busy sourcing fund for the movie. At I point, I found out that he has sold the script to a third party without my consent. I confronted him but he denied it. I asked him to return the script he objected.

Since 2013 till date I have neither recovered my money or the script as every effort I made towards that direction was frustrated by this director. I am thinking of commencing a legal action against him since I have lots of evidence including our chats, phone calls and other ones I prefer to keep discrete now.

Please, I need advice on the best way to handle this.
You should have registered the copyright. Just take it as a learning curve.
I am sure that the person will still need you because if your script is very good and successful,they will come for more.By then,you will be calling the shots.
You still have many years ahead of you so be of good cheer.
Re: Theft Of Intellectual Property - Please, Advice by Spiritfun: 3:03pm On Mar 05, 2018
friendlyadvice:
grin looool you are f*cked go home and cry

You are wrong!!!! I have lots of evidence to nail the man. I fortified myself from the beginning of the transaction by keeping track of everything discussed in both visual and non visual formats.

The last thing I will do is to let anyone reap the fruits of my labor leaving me in sorrow
Re: Theft Of Intellectual Property - Please, Advice by friendlyadvice: 3:20pm On Mar 05, 2018
Spiritfun:

You are wrong!!!! I have lots of evidence to nail the man. I fortified myself from the beginning of the transaction by keeping track of everything discussed in both visual and non visual formats.

The last thing I will do is to let anyone reap the fruits of my labor leaving me in sorrow

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin hehehe good luck i sure say the guy don lost your dead script sef
you wan wind yourself say e sell am na beans?

(1) (Reply)

Ex- Big Brother Naija Housemate Khloe Confronts With Fan On Instagram / 2018 Headies Award Nominees List Is Out – “davido, Wizkid & Simi Leads / #bbnaija: Cee-c Advises Herself In The Mirror After Pinpointing Her Problem

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.