Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,504 members, 7,819,826 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:46 AM

Former igerian Vice President Atiku Writes A Review Of Black Panther - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Former igerian Vice President Atiku Writes A Review Of Black Panther (321 Views)

My Review Of SLTV After 2 Months Of Usage / Customer Review Of TSTV Services / A Review Of Jade Osiberu's "Sugar Rush" Movie By Iamsynord (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Former igerian Vice President Atiku Writes A Review Of Black Panther by Faithola(f): 9:32am On Mar 06, 2018
Atiku Abubakar, a former Vice President of Nigeria on Saturday took a trip to the cinema with his kids to see the overly talked about Marvel hit movie “Black Panther.” Atiku's visit made others smile as he also paid tickets for everyone present in the cinema to see the movie.

Atiku, on his Medium, has written about the lessons he’s learned from the movie and it's a must-read.
In the post titled “Black Panther — A good film with many lessons for Nigeria,” He listed various things he learned, including Killmonger‘s philosophy being terrible, and women being vital to Africa’s development.

Read his story below:

Black Panther — A good film with many lessons for Nigeria
Over the weekend, I joined my children to watch the much talked about ‘Black Panther’. It was a good film, and I was happy they took me to see it. However, I came out of the movie theatre a little upset.

When the first scenes came up, and I saw “Sambisa Forest” I was unhappy that the only reference the filmmakers could have for Nigeria was a negative one, but I was later encouraged by the thought of Africans solving African problems. That is a good thing, the kinds of things we used to do. For young people who may not remember, Nigerian civil servants and indeed most able citizens used to contribute money every month to support the struggle against Apartheid in South Africa. Nigeria was the single stabilizing force across West Africa. Helping to restore peace in Liberia and Sierra Leone are examples of the gigantic status we once had.

Seeing another African country come play ‘Big Brother’ to Nigeria made me very sad. We must return to a place of respect. We may argue that the film is a work of fiction, but there are many truths in the story — one of them being that young girls are being abducted by terrorists across the northeast of Nigeria, and they need to be rescued. Only recently, a band of terrorists stormed another girls’ school in Dapchi, Yobe State. After days of confusing information, it is now confirmed that 110 girls are missing. Nigeria has once again been thrown into sorrow with many of us wishing that there was indeed a ‘Black Panther’ to help rescue the girls.

Here are my takeaways on Black Panther:

Institutions are important
Wakanda was portrayed as a technological giant, which ruled by great kings, supported by a council, and traditions are held in high esteem. But it was easy to see that most of the decisions are those of the king, which presents serious institutional problems. Institutional order in the dispensation of justice could have helped handle the betrayal of Wakanda by the king’s brother, which would have prevented the hatred of Wakanda which filled the heart of the nephew who was left behind.

The succession system is also another example of institutional weakness in Wakanda. The young man from America came in and within days, destroyed the long-standing institutions, even when he seemed to be trying to help Black people all over the world.

In one moment of folly, he decided to destroy the garden that guarantees powers to every other king of the future. Should there not have been a process whereby a council needs to approve the King’s orders before they are carried out? Institutions are better guarantors of good governance than kings or strong men/women.

Re: Former igerian Vice President Atiku Writes A Review Of Black Panther by Shedrack777: 9:39am On Mar 06, 2018
shedrack777 goes to the cinema to watch black panther, writes a review! TYPING:.............................

(1) (Reply)

Deadpool 2, Watch Official Trailer As Movie Set To Release In May / Black Panther Narrated In Wakandan Accent By A Nairalander! / Let's Help You Shoot That Amazing Script

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.