Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,756 members, 7,824,167 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:08 AM

Army Bans Trucks On Lagos Bridges - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Army Bans Trucks On Lagos Bridges (22631 Views)

Trucks On Highways: A Race Against Death / Innoson Rolls Out Monster Trucks For Nigerian Security Agencies (Picture) / Lagos Begins Cleanup Of Illegal Motor Parks Under Bridges (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Army Bans Trucks On Lagos Bridges by Nobody: 8:52pm On Mar 07, 2018
Omeokachie:
Army?

Are they now traffic officials?

The rate at which we are the military is being used under this administration, they will soon be used for tax collection.
i just tire
Re: Army Bans Trucks On Lagos Bridges by VolvoS60(m): 8:58pm On Mar 07, 2018
Etfash:
I don't know why many people still see Nigeria as a sane country.
In 2006, the army was the one that expelled the incesaant hold up along Unibadan/Bodija road. Prior to this time, you will not believe that 2 vehicles could pass together on each of those lanes, because these thugs will clog one side of the road. Road users will horn continually to pass. When the army came, I never knew that place was that wide. A guy tried to misbehave, the beating he received made him realize he wasn't relating with the police or other paramilitary bodies.

Guys, Nigeria has gone haywire and an average Nigerian has developed somega unusually thick skin at the expense of his or her neighbor'so wellbeing.
With the military coming to the scene, I just imagine how free that place would be now.

Let's work with what we have and who we are. We don't have to do everything the way it is done in other climes, we are a unique people. We should always factor our uniqueness into our policies. This will enable us achieve our objectives in a timely and cost effective manner.

^^^^

No sir.

Traffic management is not army work.

This view you have expressed here is what emboldens Nigerian soldiers/naval ratings/airmen to do whatever they like, whenever they like and to whomever they like.

You are right about Nigeria not being a sane country. But the military's role in midwifing and sustaining our national psychosis is undeniable. You don't need to look far to confirm this - and our history also confirms it. But as you would expect, the military will always dispute this and make the thoroughly bogus claim that 'bloody civilians' undecided are the cause of Nigeria's problems. undecided It is in the military's own selfish interest to give the impression that nothing in this place will work unless they they come and bash a few heads together. undecided How else will they justify overthrowing governments in order to teach the rest of us how to properly run a country? undecided

As you put it, those who 'misbehave' need to know that the army is not like "the police and other paramilitary bodies". That statement says it all. You sound like a student of history - with your reference to events of 2006. It may interest you to know that in this country, the military did everything within its power over the last 50 plus years to emasculate the police - simply because the police was the last (armed) bulwark against military adventurism into government. Unfortunately for us all, that process of emasculation was completed a long time ago and we are all paying the price, every damn day.

Traffic management is not army work!!

It is no secret that the police in some other countries do their jobs (traffic management included!) and do them well. But if that is allowed to happen here, then the halo over every Nigerian soldier's head will evaporate. And that must not be allowed to happen. The messianic complex that is every Nigerian brasshat's birthright MUST be preserved. undecided

I repeat: traffic management is not army work!!!

2 Likes

Re: Army Bans Trucks On Lagos Bridges by Omeokachie: 9:01pm On Mar 07, 2018
sabama007:

A question was asked sometime ago about who motorists dare most... Most preferred the police, followed by the Lastma, then FRSC. Least with 0% was the Army.

You know why? I guess it's because they're more disciplined (not ruling out their excesses).

Back to the topic, bridges are designed for dynamic load not static. Excessive static loading on bridges may cause failure.

I support the idea deploying the military against the drivers of articulate vehicles. You need to drive from Ojuelegba to Apapa enroute Ijora to understand the real-time situation.

Much as I appreciate the situation in that area (I have had first hand experiences), my point remains that we must never cut our noses to spite our faces.
We cannot cherry-pick on when to apply the rule of law and when to jettison it for quick (illegal) fixes.

Have we used the police here and failed?
We are dragging our military from their core responsibilities to manage police duties, while serious war efforts are suffering with more casualties on the frontlines.

When the military guys starts to open fire on civilians in that area (because they are not trained to manage civil matters) then we will realise the error in deploying combatants in a no war situation.

1 Like

Re: Army Bans Trucks On Lagos Bridges by desiredmee(m): 9:13pm On Mar 07, 2018
[quote author=Omeokachie post=65641419]

No sir, there should be a limit to how we debase our institutions. The job of the military is to defend the territorial integrity of the country, and not menial jobs that infringes on the duty of others.

Wonder why professionalism is now non-existent in the military?

There is always an exception and sometimes the result is in the watch-out for
Re: Army Bans Trucks On Lagos Bridges by pally123: 10:14pm On Mar 07, 2018
Omeokachie:
Army?

Are they now traffic officials?

The rate at which we are the military is being used under this administration, they will soon be used for tax collection.
Army, na the only language wey Nigerians dey here. Watch as dem go dissappear for der immediately dem sight the army approaching
Re: Army Bans Trucks On Lagos Bridges by engrjacuzzi: 10:22pm On Mar 07, 2018
God bless the Army!
strike loading from tankers, nupeng and tuc
Re: Army Bans Trucks On Lagos Bridges by nairalanduseles: 2:36am On Mar 08, 2018
tunjiajayi:

Why the insult?

Lying, saboteuring illiterate yanmiri pig! From east yonder!

ur papa and entire generation
Re: Army Bans Trucks On Lagos Bridges by tunjiajayi: 6:56am On Mar 08, 2018
nairalanduseles:

ur papa and entire generation

Cursive pig.
I suspect you a bastard, son of a bitch as you no get respect for your papa.
Re: Army Bans Trucks On Lagos Bridges by Xmen149(m): 7:02am On Mar 08, 2018
omoidunnu:

Brace up for fuel scarcity...

80% of those vehicles are not fuel tankers.
Re: Army Bans Trucks On Lagos Bridges by Xmen149(m): 7:14am On Mar 08, 2018
teemy:
sometimes cover ups are used. e.g a threat alert of a bomb laden truck meant to blow up bridges. the non panic version of over weight could then be fed to the public.

i have thought about this a million times before,.it will be very hard for dare-devils to plant ied under bridges or by roadside without begin detected by swan of lagosians or their numerous law enforcement outfit.

but those truck on a gridlocked road with almost all lagosians packed coming back from or going to work is surely a site for international disaster if the trucks are rigged. shocked

1 Like

Re: Army Bans Trucks On Lagos Bridges by mhaki(m): 7:45am On Mar 08, 2018
I've been thinking about how the trucks lined up in front of the barracks at Ojuelegba pose a security threat to the military establishment. Good Move!!!
Re: Army Bans Trucks On Lagos Bridges by RillJ(m): 8:24am On Mar 08, 2018
That should have be the order of a duly elected government on the advice of professionals while the Army, (in extreme case) may be called in to enforce the order. Army giving the order? Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, shouldn't be
Re: Army Bans Trucks On Lagos Bridges by Assassin101: 10:17am On Mar 08, 2018
about time
Re: Army Bans Trucks On Lagos Bridges by NOETHNICITY(m): 10:31am On Mar 08, 2018
tunjiajayi:

Yes , the police have been used, lastma task force also, these people have no iota of respect for constituted authority, if you are in Lagos you should know this, they even face off LASG.
So?
This is not true bros, if not then show proof.
We need the NA in the fight against BH where they re showing serious deficiency.
Last time i checked the recently abducted girls re yet to be rescued.
Recent fact findings revealed that one of the BH commander released in a swap deal for the released chibok girls, is back to the battle field causing damages since the NA could not rescue the kidnapped girls and had to release him in exchange for the girls.
The NA has failed in that area of their primary duty nd they need to bury thier ugly heads in shame.
Re: Army Bans Trucks On Lagos Bridges by tunjiajayi: 10:43am On Mar 08, 2018
NOETHNICITY:
This is not true bros, if not then show proof.
We need the NA in the fight against BH where they re showing serious deficiency.
Last time i checked the recently abducted girls re yet to be rescued.
Recent fact findings revealed that one of the BH commander released in a swap deal for the released chibok girls, is back to the battle field causing damages since the NA could not rescue the kidnapped girls and had to release him in exchange for the girls.
The NA has failed in that area of their primary duty nd they need to bury thier ugly heads in shame.

Yes, the NA has lost some battles in the war, yes they have had set backs and mishaps, true they can be overbearing to civilians.
The point is! I repeat all over the world, soldiers ( the military) are always on reserve for special duties as the need arises.
My submission.
Re: Army Bans Trucks On Lagos Bridges by MONITZ: 10:49am On Mar 08, 2018
MIKOLOWISKA:
none of them can enforce like the military

Kk,I got ur point and thanks for making me see it that way..
Re: Army Bans Trucks On Lagos Bridges by Peterpanny: 11:46am On Mar 08, 2018
Omeokachie:

Disregard for the rule of law and not insisting on doing things properly will frustrate the nation in no time when impunity finally sets in.

A stitch in time saved nine. Cutting corners, especially in governance and civil matters is invitation to anarchy in future.
supu oyibo.
Re: Army Bans Trucks On Lagos Bridges by NOETHNICITY(m): 12:45pm On Mar 08, 2018
tunjiajayi:

Yes, the NA has lost some battles in the war, yes they have had set backs and mishaps, true they can be overbearing to civilians.
The point is! I repeat all over the world, soldiers ( the military) are always on reserve for special duties as the need arises.
My submission.
Ur position about the NA failure in its true 1st test in modern warfare is grossly understated. Admit it bro, the NA is a failure. Some of them, who fled battle to Cameroon, were recently returned to the country by Cameroonian army.
Nigeria domestic security agencies are yet to be overwhelmed by any resistance concerning this issue, hence no need for the military to come in. If they have any recommendation they should simply communicate it to the appropriate authority.
They stop flexing muscles for not nothing.
If they want to flex muscle they should go to NE where it needed to curb BH.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Viecar VC002-A/B Mini OBDII Bluetooth Car Scanner Diagnostic Tool (4.5K) / What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? / MR T-MILEX/CARQUEST/RAD AUTO WORKS 2020 Diagnostic Scanner Christmas Giveaway

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.