Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,075 members, 7,828,790 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 02:15 PM

Will The New Lagos State Tenement Law Be A Gloom Or Boom For Businesses In.. - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Will The New Lagos State Tenement Law Be A Gloom Or Boom For Businesses In.. (9828 Views)

Who Is To Pay Tenement Rate: Landlord Or Tenant? / A Tenement Story Building At Ikeja, Now 15.m. Give Away Price / The New Lagos Tenancy Law:who Does It Favour Most? The Lanlord Or The Tenant? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Will The New Lagos State Tenement Law Be A Gloom Or Boom For Businesses In.. by bewla(m): 8:02am On Mar 08, 2018
make sense
Re: Will The New Lagos State Tenement Law Be A Gloom Or Boom For Businesses In.. by Nobody: 8:04am On Mar 08, 2018
Mr man of Nigeria is not part of the top six economics in Africa, kindly mention the first five to educate us.

You wrote a sponsored article Mr

Not a single reference to your statistics, shm

1 Like

Re: Will The New Lagos State Tenement Law Be A Gloom Or Boom For Businesses In.. by bionixs: 8:07am On Mar 08, 2018
ibnchokomah:
Most leaders take up initiatives without doing a simple cost benefit analysis. However, when it comes to Lagos, I don't think our perceived doom that'll befall the state will not be as significant as we put it. My focus is on the land use tariff now. Lagos is the entertainment hub of Nigeria. It's where most organization have their headquarters. Therefore I don't see people leaving the state as we think. Man will always find a way to survive. So I think the state might experience a drop in revenue on the short run. If they stand to their ground, people will give in and in the middle and long runs, the state will experience the expected rise in revenue from that tariff.

For that of road worthiness, how many people who work form 7am-6pm will have time to go to other states? They'll given in at some point. With early resistance first yes but they'll throw in the towel later. My opinion though...
a glorified Owo da man's concept . This is the kind of comment that are written by those who will benefit from the robbery

1 Like

Re: Will The New Lagos State Tenement Law Be A Gloom Or Boom For Businesses In.. by revolt(m): 8:07am On Mar 08, 2018
SLIDEwaxie:
The writer of this article is a complete idiot.

Apart from the joy he derived from tarnishing his country's image, he backed it up with stupid and tribalistic lies.

It is apparent that the write is probably a Biafran or simply a wasted sperm.

To day Lagos is not on the top 6 in Africa, so nonchalantly, is a crime of its own.

As at May 2017, Lagos was the 7th Largest economy in Africa.

https://qz.com/676819/lagos-is-africas-7th-largest-economy-and-is-about-to-get-bigger-with-its-first-oil-finds/amp/

As at Nov 2017, it was the fifth largest.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/11/lagos-emerged-fifth-largest-economy-africa/amp/

https://qz.com/676819/lagos-is-africas-7th-largest-economy-and-is-about-to-get-bigger-with-its-first-oil-finds/amp/

AND TO SAY LAGOS KILLS BUSINESS, THEN HE IS NOTHING BUT A NITWIT.

NOW, to now cite your stupid and wannabe website with zero statistical ground, that Nigeria is not even one of the biggest economy in Africa, then he completes his idiocy.

This is the new ranking as at Jan 2018 from world bank.

http://nigeria.opendataforafrica.org/mhrzolg/gdp-by-country-statistics-from-the-world-bank-1960-2016?country=Nigeria

U can compare with other countries.

G
Arrow!!!
are u drunk? There's no sane human that can justify an almost 200% increase In tenement rates. Can the Lagos state govt increase salaries by 200%? If ure an agent of alpha beta( the consultsnt firm involved) say so.
The jakande regime which still remains the best Lagos has ever had ddnt strangle lagosians. The only reason Lagos is strategic is cos the fg for unknown reasons has refused to let other ports operate normally. So lagos port is the only port available, not cos of any state govt policies as some ppl lyk to claim. This development is welcome cos biz will move and by Gods grace this country will be restructured.

1 Like

Re: Will The New Lagos State Tenement Law Be A Gloom Or Boom For Businesses In.. by Johnrake69: 8:07am On Mar 08, 2018
Proudlyngwa:
Biased analysis.
Learn to paraphrase.

First you started with a question and diverted into something different.
A state like lagos is very expensive to maintain and with limited resources, can only generate funds through adequate taxation, having put in place certain infrastructure.

Upcoming states can decide to give tax windows, except to certain type of ventures it is deciding to draw or maintain in the state Lagos does not need to do that.

This is the reason we're in deep shit because of how we blindly support govt at our own detriment. What has the government been maintaining in Lagos that we don't pay for directly?

The other day I was inside a keke. Two Keke drivers were discussing how they change their parts almost every two weeks because of the bad road meanwhile, they pay tax of over 30% of their daily income. The money they generate from just Keke and okada in a month is enough to carry out a quarterly maintenance.

2 Likes

Re: Will The New Lagos State Tenement Law Be A Gloom Or Boom For Businesses In.. by NonFarmPayrol: 8:08am On Mar 08, 2018
Akwa IBom should hurry up

and build that sea port please

all these west shakara go soon end

2 Likes

Re: Will The New Lagos State Tenement Law Be A Gloom Or Boom For Businesses In.. by kevoh(m): 8:09am On Mar 08, 2018
A spillover of businesses to Ogun, F.C.T and other states due to over taxation in Lagos does not seem like a bad thing. Infact, it is a positive for those states. Ambode fire on, jare! grin grin

1 Like

Re: Will The New Lagos State Tenement Law Be A Gloom Or Boom For Businesses In.. by revolt(m): 8:16am On Mar 08, 2018
NonFarmPayrol:
Akwa IBom should hurry up

and build that sea port please

all these west shakara go soon end
its not about Akwaibom building its port. Its whether
The fg will grant it the full status of a commercial port. That's the probs. There are 5 ports in the south , but they're are not general purpose ports. They're are limited to certain goods.

1 Like

Re: Will The New Lagos State Tenement Law Be A Gloom Or Boom For Businesses In.. by Dee60: 8:21am On Mar 08, 2018
Lagos is running like a company.

The 'chairman' dictates everything from his Ikoyi fortress. Does he care?

Election to them is like a transaction. They think the highest bidder will always win.

They are about to be shown the door in 2019!

1 Like

Re: Will The New Lagos State Tenement Law Be A Gloom Or Boom For Businesses In.. by ODVanguard: 8:34am On Mar 08, 2018
Proudlyngwa:
Biased analysis.
Learn to paraphrase.

A state like lagos is very expensive to maintain and with limited resources, can only generate funds through adequate taxation, having put in place certain infrastructure.

Upcoming states can decide to give tax windows, except to certain type of ventures it is deciding to draw or maintain in the state Lagos does not need to do that.

Exactly. The fact remains that Lagos is not for everybody. While I think the LUC increase is excessive, and would most likely be reviewed downwards, I also think some people are trying to politicize the matter. Like you rightly said, other states will decide their own tax rates to stay competitive. Ogun for instance is currently benefiting from a competitve advantage and proximity to the same Lagos (a natural development that was bound to occur due to the land limitations of Lagos) and you don't see Lagos state government whining about that, yet some people would prefer the state to get combative over this and see this as a threat of sorts. Again I repeat, Lagos is not for everybody.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Will The New Lagos State Tenement Law Be A Gloom Or Boom For Businesses In.. by ODVanguard: 8:37am On Mar 08, 2018
I am seeing a trend of some disgruntled elements who are dissatisfied with the latest language promotion laws in Lagos attempting to hijack this issue for political reasons. Yinmu.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Will The New Lagos State Tenement Law Be A Gloom Or Boom For Businesses In.. by Proudlyngwa(m): 8:49am On Mar 08, 2018
Johnrake69:

This is the reason we're in deep shit because of how we blindly support govt at our own detriment. What has the government been maintaining in Lagos that we don't pay for directly?

The other day I was inside a keke. Two Keke drivers were discussing how they change their parts almost every two weeks because of the bad road meanwhile, they pay tax of over 30% of their daily income. The money they generate from just Keke and okada in a month is enough to carry out a quarterly maintenance.
Big lie
Re: Will The New Lagos State Tenement Law Be A Gloom Or Boom For Businesses In.. by hedonistic: 8:50am On Mar 08, 2018
ODVanguard:

Exactly. The fact remains that Lagos is not for everybody. While I think the LUC increase is excessive, and would most likely be reviewed downwards, I also think some people are trying to politicize the matter. Like you rightly said, other states will decide their own tax rates to stay competitive. Ogun for instance is currently benefiting from a competitve advantage and proximity to the same Lagos (a natural development that was bound to occur due to the land limitations of Lagos) and you don't see Lagos state government whining about that, yet some people would prefer the state to get combative over this and see this as a threat of sorts. Again I repeat, Lagos is not for everybody.

You're dumb as a rock. "Lagos is not for everybody" means what in the context of the ongoing issue? Which Lagos are you referring to? You're likely ensconced in one overcrowded Yoruba slum somewhere in Mushin or Bariga, and hiding behind your grimy walls to shout "Lagos is not for everybody".

When your brain is filled with petty tribal prejudices, I understand why you're incapable of making sense.

I don't blame you. You want to sing Yoruba national anthem in all schools in Lagos, but you want non-Yoruba money to build and sustain your economy. Very stupid, close-minded, oily characters.

3 Likes

Re: Will The New Lagos State Tenement Law Be A Gloom Or Boom For Businesses In.. by ibnchokomah(m): 8:53am On Mar 08, 2018
bionixs:
a glorified Owo da man's concept . This is the kind of comment that are written by those who will benefit from the robbery
Lol. Bros no vex. Sentiments apart, there's no other reason behind the government's bold step other than this.
Re: Will The New Lagos State Tenement Law Be A Gloom Or Boom For Businesses In.. by chronique(m): 8:57am On Mar 08, 2018
Proudlyngwa:
Biased analysis.
Learn to paraphrase.

What are the infrastructures on ground that the govt of Lagos has put down, that is commiserate with the huge increase in taxes and rates? Or is it a different Lagos from the one we all sleep and wake up in?
Re: Will The New Lagos State Tenement Law Be A Gloom Or Boom For Businesses In.. by Xisnin(m): 9:09am On Mar 08, 2018
superhumanist:
The Nigerian government is one of the laziest governments of n the world. It wants to raise billions through tax alone and as a result, it is overtaxing its citizens.

Tax/charges is only one source of income for the government. What happened to income from tourism, state owned corporations and revenue from investment funds.

The high taxes that Lagos govt has been enjoying have not been used for anything reasonable.

Many people pay land use charge, yet their roads are not tarred. Where is the electricity to support manufacturing companies and other businesses? Schools have to pay police for security for children.

What are theses taxes and fines used for? Hmmm?

This is nothing but Ignorance, which developed country doesn't have tax as its main source of revenue?

4 Likes

Re: Will The New Lagos State Tenement Law Be A Gloom Or Boom For Businesses In.. by ODVanguard: 9:10am On Mar 08, 2018
hedonistic:

You're dumb as a rock. "Lagos is not for everybody" means what in the context of the ongoing issue? Which Lagos are you referring to? You're likely ensconced in one overcrowded Yoruba slum somewhere in Mushin or Bariga, and hiding behind your grimy walls to shout "Lagos is not for everybody".

When your brain is filled with petty tribal prejudices, I understand why you're incapable of making sense.

I don't blame you. You want to sing Yoruba national anthem in all schools in Lagos, but you want non-Yoruba money to build and sustain your economy. Very stupid, close-minded, oily characters.

You can go and hang for all I care. You just exposed the real source of your pain which is the Yoruba anthem and language promotion bill. cheesy You flattheadss are so predictable. Ambode obviously doesn't consider your 'non-Yoruba money' important, so you are free to get the fvck out of Lagos on the next night bus you fvcking prick. The language bill is here to stay, ditto the Yoruba anthem. I repeat LAGOS IS NOT FOR EVERYBODY, now go and kill yourself. cool grin

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Will The New Lagos State Tenement Law Be A Gloom Or Boom For Businesses In.. by Xisnin(m): 9:10am On Mar 08, 2018
Johnrake69:
Perfectly written article. When we keep singing praise of the Tinubu dynasty that's the result. Exploitation.

I wonder what leaders like Lateef Jakande and Awolowo will be thinking wherever they are. Jakande housing scheme is still being felt till date by the masses and without mincing of words I think it's the most successful mass housing scheme in Nigeria so far. We must tell ourselves the truth. Tinubu and his puppets have not done anything worthy of mention for the masses.

They are simply supplying the needs of the elites at the expense of the masses that is why they keep grabbing lands from indigenous people without any monetary settlement, only to build sky scrappers for the elites. At every junction you have touts collecting insane amount of money on a daily basis while there is a huge pothole at the same junction.

I hope that at some point we will ask ourselves is development made for Man or Man made for development. In the case of Lagos it's obviously the later.

Lazy ass like you will visit London and not note that the country was built for elites, you
will even take the opportunity to insult your country.
I guess it is only the elites that needs good road and security, poverty-stricken people
like you prefer to live inside gutters while commuting using camels and horses.

Do you think developed countries were built using magic? Educated illiterate.

3 Likes

Re: Will The New Lagos State Tenement Law Be A Gloom Or Boom For Businesses In.. by Xisnin(m): 9:12am On Mar 08, 2018
kc2hansome:
Lagos state simply created an opportunity for other states especially Ogun State. The greed of Tinubu and cohorts will make Lagos fall from grace to grass.
Some of the greatest opportunity sprung out from necessity .
I've been telling anyone who wish to hear to "leave the hype of Lagos and go have even if its a little investment your hometown", this one is yet another warning.

Jimi Agbaje would have been a better option but some oloriburuku's voted APC.
The Oba that endorsed APC and threatened people with drowning wouldn't pay any of these tax and that should teach most Lagosians a deep lesson.

Lazy ass illiterate. Lagos don't beg people to live in the state. I hope you are preparing to move to
your village where tax is alien to them.

3 Likes

Re: Will The New Lagos State Tenement Law Be A Gloom Or Boom For Businesses In.. by Pappyjim: 9:13am On Mar 08, 2018
It will be a BooM for Tinubu(Alpha Beta) and hoops for we the tax payers!
Re: Will The New Lagos State Tenement Law Be A Gloom Or Boom For Businesses In.. by Pappyjim: 9:15am On Mar 08, 2018
It will be a BooM for Tinubu(Alpha Beta) and hoops for we the tax payers! Make I jejely go isheri go renew my particulars!
Re: Will The New Lagos State Tenement Law Be A Gloom Or Boom For Businesses In.. by superhumanist(m): 9:23am On Mar 08, 2018
Xisnin:

This is nothing but Ignorance, which developed country doesn't have tax as its main source of revenue?

Strawman.

Read my comment again. I said "only" and not "main"
Re: Will The New Lagos State Tenement Law Be A Gloom Or Boom For Businesses In.. by Firehead(m): 9:24am On Mar 08, 2018
Please let them increase even their toll gate fee. The more they increase, the more other states will gail because people will discover that Lagos actually is not the ultimate!
Re: Will The New Lagos State Tenement Law Be A Gloom Or Boom For Businesses In.. by Ogaonos: 9:27am On Mar 08, 2018
Johnrake69:
Perfectly written article. When we keep singing praise of the Tinubu dynasty that's the result. Exploitation.

I wonder what leaders like Lateef Jakande and Awolowo will be thinking wherever they are. Jakande housing scheme is still being felt till date by the masses and without mincing of words I think it's the most successful mass housing scheme in Nigeria so far. We must tell ourselves the truth. Tinubu and his puppets have not done anything worthy of mention for the masses.

They are simply supplying the needs of the elites at the expense of the masses that is why they keep grabbing lands from indigenous people without any monetary settlement, only to build sky scrappers for the elites. At every junction you have touts collecting insane amount of money on a daily basis while there is a huge pothole at the same junction.

I hope that at some point we will ask ourselves is development made for Man or Man made for development. In the case of Lagos it's obviously the later.
dt was wat i was advising an afonja lagosian wen he was hating on akwa ibom 4 using apapa as case study 4 their seaport project.nd hw lagosianr shuld stop b tinubu fools nd fight 4 trains dt they deserve beta.d guy was jux insulting imagine.i blame seun i allowing sum afonja c b tribal on nairaland.nd db hating other state progress wich is making nairaland luk somehw.4 d op article this opportunity 4 neighbouring state lik ogun/oyo 2 do 2 thingr .build a satellite city 4 average incomers nd can take 200k population then beta tax package 4 sms in lag nd big firms trying c face competition.let them be the alternatiue 4 the some of d mass in mainland.because after they finish or gone far c make eko altantic active d milking will be worst than nw.
Re: Will The New Lagos State Tenement Law Be A Gloom Or Boom For Businesses In.. by Xisnin(m): 9:37am On Mar 08, 2018
superhumanist:

Strawman.

Read my comment again. I said "only" and not "main"

Then you are lying to make a point, the Nigerian government does not rely on Tax, in fact, we belong to the league of
undertaxed countries. The ignorant and sentimental people who liked your post didn't bother to think before liking it.
Re: Will The New Lagos State Tenement Law Be A Gloom Or Boom For Businesses In.. by elougo(m): 9:57am On Mar 08, 2018
Well Said
Re: Will The New Lagos State Tenement Law Be A Gloom Or Boom For Businesses In.. by superhumanist(m): 9:58am On Mar 08, 2018
Xisnin:

Then you are lying to make a point, the Nigerian government does not rely on Tax, in fact, we belong to the league of
undertaxed countries. The ignorant and sentimental people who liked your post didn't bother to think before liking it.

Ogbeni. Move along
Re: Will The New Lagos State Tenement Law Be A Gloom Or Boom For Businesses In.. by SLIDEwaxie(m): 10:08am On Mar 08, 2018
revolt:
are u drunk? There's no sane human that can justify an almost 200% increase In tenement rates. Can the Lagos state govt increase salaries by 200%? If ure an agent of alpha beta( the consultsnt firm involved) say so.
The jakande regime which still remains the best Lagos has ever had ddnt strangle lagosians. The only reason Lagos is strategic is cos the fg for unknown reasons has refused to let other ports operate normally. So lagos port is the only port available, not cos of any state govt policies as some ppl lyk to claim. This development is welcome cos biz will move and by Gods grace this country will be restructured.
are u arguing with me or arguing with my defence of Lagos and economy or Nigeria and economy?

because from my comment, I didn't even discuss the 400% increment but his fallacious claims abt the economy of Lagos and the country.

Wetin concern me with 400% increment? I tell u say I dey Lagos?

Re: Will The New Lagos State Tenement Law Be A Gloom Or Boom For Businesses In.. by Johnrake69: 10:10am On Mar 08, 2018
Xisnin:

Lazy ass like you will visit London and not note that the country was built for elites, you
will even take the opportunity to insult your country.
I guess it is only the elites that needs good road and security, poverty-stricken people
like you prefer to live inside gutters while commuting using camels and horses.

Do you think developed countries were built using magic? Educated illiterate.

There is no need for name calling. I'm not your problem. I hope you have a property in Lagos and you're coping very well with the 400% increment.

Firstly, you don't know me enough to call me lazy.

Half education is really a bigger problem. If you're even enlightened to a level you should know that one of the principles of a good tax system is that it should not be a burden. When a tax becomes a burden then the purpose is defeated. 400% increment in every economy is excessive and as such, is a burden.

Normally, I wouldn't result to insult buh I will say this to you. You're a retarde.d ass.hole for supporting a clear case of oppression in the name of development. The last time I checked this same Lagos government is still fighting freedom of information act so they don't open their books to public scrutiny.

You're fast to quote the western world. The last time Gordon brown spent a paltry sum of £12000 on his garden there was a public outcry and he was made to pay back that sum. How much is your Ambode using to run his government?.

I'm very certain you're a product of illicit wealth that's why you can open your maggots infested mouth to call someone one poverty-stricken. No be your fault.

It's simple, a government that is not accountable to the people has no right to over burden the people with tax. You can go hang yourself now. F.ucking nitwi.t

3 Likes

Re: Will The New Lagos State Tenement Law Be A Gloom Or Boom For Businesses In.. by Xisnin(m): 10:11am On Mar 08, 2018
superhumanist:

Ogbeni. Move along

Good that you have accepted you are wrong.
Re: Will The New Lagos State Tenement Law Be A Gloom Or Boom For Businesses In.. by bedfordng(m): 10:27am On Mar 08, 2018
hmmm
Re: Will The New Lagos State Tenement Law Be A Gloom Or Boom For Businesses In.. by kc2hansome(m): 11:43am On Mar 08, 2018
Xisnin:

Lazy ass illiterate. Lagos don't beg people to live in the state. I hope you are preparing to move to
your village where tax is alien to them.

Hard working brainless nincompo*p, I left Lagos 5 years ago. I only visit there when any of my childhood friend is getting married.
Looking at your post you must be one unruly vagabo*d dropout kid without respect.
Go get a life.
I can't dance in the mud with an omo-ale

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Atima Consultant / 2 & 4 bed House,Land for sale in T.a Gardens Ikeja Outskirt with CofO At Warewa / Latest Information Needed For Perfect House Plan,construction& Approval In Nig

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.