Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,157 members, 7,811,331 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:25 AM

Who Is To Pay Tenement Rate: Landlord Or Tenant? - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Who Is To Pay Tenement Rate: Landlord Or Tenant? (26807 Views)

Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? / What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? / Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Is To Pay Tenement Rate: Landlord Or Tenant? by ShoProperties(m): 8:37pm On Jan 17, 2020
I am Planning of Renting a new house in Lekki but to my best surprise after filling the Tenancy form and all , The lawyer asked me do undertaking that I will be the one to pay any form of tax incurred during my stay in the House Be it tenement rate , Land Use

I told him have never heard of such and he said then I’m not ready to take the house

Please enlighten me who is to Pay

Tenant Or Landlord

8 Likes

Re: Who Is To Pay Tenement Rate: Landlord Or Tenant? by momove4real25(f): 10:19pm On Jan 17, 2020
Landlord or occupier

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Is To Pay Tenement Rate: Landlord Or Tenant? by powerkey: 11:12pm On Jan 17, 2020
It's the landlord.
It's the owner of the property that pays for such.
Must you reside there? Go elsewhere man.

165 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Who Is To Pay Tenement Rate: Landlord Or Tenant? by Azmanaty: 1:30pm On Jan 18, 2020
Its landlord

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Is To Pay Tenement Rate: Landlord Or Tenant? by deebrain(m): 1:30pm On Jan 18, 2020
Landlord

22 Likes

Re: Who Is To Pay Tenement Rate: Landlord Or Tenant? by Jabioro: 1:31pm On Jan 18, 2020
Extortist lawyer..it non of your business.. purely landlord business..

80 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Is To Pay Tenement Rate: Landlord Or Tenant? by Futuragetty: 1:32pm On Jan 18, 2020
It's the responsibility of the landlord, but tenants can pay tenement rates subject to indemnity from their landlords as occupiers.

10 Likes

Re: Who Is To Pay Tenement Rate: Landlord Or Tenant? by lildush(m): 1:32pm On Jan 18, 2020
It's d landlords duty... Please don't let dem put dat on u.

12 Likes

Re: Who Is To Pay Tenement Rate: Landlord Or Tenant? by azpekuliar: 1:32pm On Jan 18, 2020
The Tenement rate is a tax on the occupation of property not the ownership of property. You may own a property and not live there, so the responsibility to pay the Tenement Rate then becomes that of the tenant. However, if the property is owner-occupied then the landlord/owner pays the Tenement Rate. The Tenement Rate is a critical source of revenue for Local Governments.

However in Lagos, the State Government usurped the powers of the LGAs to demand and collect Tenement Rates, by promulgating the Land Use Charge through it’s House of Assembly. So the Tenement rate, Ground rent and Neighborhood Improvement Charge were all fused together to become the Land Use Charge (to the chagrin of the LGAs) and landlords became primarily responsible for it’s payment, not tenants. In other words, the LUC became a tax on the ownership of property.

Now there are so many properties in Lagos that have not yet been enumerated or captured in the LUC database, so they are currently not being assessed yet for LUC payment. Properties in this category are most likely still being assessed for the old Tenement Rate, so tenant(s) or whoever is in occupation is still expected to pay the Tenement Rate into the coffers of their Local Government Area.

68 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Who Is To Pay Tenement Rate: Landlord Or Tenant? by geunik(m): 1:32pm On Jan 18, 2020
They are always looking for opportunity to add their duties to tenants own just because accommodation is becoming hard

11 Likes

Re: Who Is To Pay Tenement Rate: Landlord Or Tenant? by semasir: 1:32pm On Jan 18, 2020
Larinlọdu

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Is To Pay Tenement Rate: Landlord Or Tenant? by magicminister: 1:32pm On Jan 18, 2020
Here’s my insight:

It depends on what you’re renting.
If you’re renting a an apartment (e.g 2 bedroom), then it is NOT your responsibility to pay any tenement rate, HOA and tax fees.

If you’re renting a whole house (a single property on a single land), then all the fees associated with the house falls on you

However, I have multiple properties that incurs millions in taxes every month. I average them out and just include it in the rent so that way, the tenant does not even know that they’re paying taxes.

So, if your landlord is making it clear that you’ll be paying taxes, then ensure that the rent is below market rent. That way, you know that taxes was not added to it already.

91 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Who Is To Pay Tenement Rate: Landlord Or Tenant? by Femich18(m): 1:33pm On Jan 18, 2020
powerkey:
It's the landlord.

It should be the landlord. He can pay it though but if he's doesn't want he can go elsewhere then
Re: Who Is To Pay Tenement Rate: Landlord Or Tenant? by TechSpot: 1:33pm On Jan 18, 2020
momove4real25:
Landlord or occupier

occupier could either be the landlord or a tenant so write in clear terms.

land use act - Land owner
tenement rate - usually factored into rent in most cases. It is similar to how VAT is factored into purchases.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Is To Pay Tenement Rate: Landlord Or Tenant? by lildush(m): 1:33pm On Jan 18, 2020
Please I want to put up a post.. how do I go about it?
Re: Who Is To Pay Tenement Rate: Landlord Or Tenant? by BlackfireX: 1:33pm On Jan 18, 2020
For land use act it must be obasanjo

For tenant rate it must be LASG or tinubu.

For tax that one is for buhari.

For house rent that will be you.

What else

2 Likes

Re: Who Is To Pay Tenement Rate: Landlord Or Tenant? by khalids: 1:33pm On Jan 18, 2020
No allow anybody scam you......what is your business with land use and tenement .....na you build the house

Oboy waka fast.........

7 Likes

Re: Who Is To Pay Tenement Rate: Landlord Or Tenant? by Wazobiamax22: 1:35pm On Jan 18, 2020
powerkey:
It's the landlord.

I wonder ooooo shocked shocked shocked

Its his house, he collects rent, shouldn't he pay tax

Tenants already has alot on their plate!

For me it's a sign that the house will be a troubled one.

The owner is a greedy one. Na this kind people dey increase house rent every second!

Either that or the landlord pays but the agent keeps it!!!

6 Likes

Re: Who Is To Pay Tenement Rate: Landlord Or Tenant? by mejai(m): 1:35pm On Jan 18, 2020
Slap and headbutt the lawyer. He is a thief sad

3 Likes

Re: Who Is To Pay Tenement Rate: Landlord Or Tenant? by AerialMapper: 1:36pm On Jan 18, 2020
Tenant
Re: Who Is To Pay Tenement Rate: Landlord Or Tenant? by TechSpot: 1:36pm On Jan 18, 2020
Re: Who Is To Pay Tenement Rate: Landlord Or Tenant? by GadgetInstinct: 1:36pm On Jan 18, 2020
grin
Re: Who Is To Pay Tenement Rate: Landlord Or Tenant? by Thegoodone13(m): 1:36pm On Jan 18, 2020
You
Re: Who Is To Pay Tenement Rate: Landlord Or Tenant? by sholatem(f): 1:36pm On Jan 18, 2020
Tenement rate suppose to be paid by occupant of d apartment while land use charge is to be paid by landlord
Re: Who Is To Pay Tenement Rate: Landlord Or Tenant? by Zdoh(m): 1:36pm On Jan 18, 2020
Landlord pays for all those except utilities bill that will be used by you. He is the owner of the property. Don’t let them put all the responsibilities on you because you want to live in their house. I will advice you look for another house because in the long run that lawyer and the landlord will give you serious issue.

5 Likes

Re: Who Is To Pay Tenement Rate: Landlord Or Tenant? by anonymuz(m): 1:37pm On Jan 18, 2020
Its like the landlord
Re: Who Is To Pay Tenement Rate: Landlord Or Tenant? by Openbusiness: 1:38pm On Jan 18, 2020
ShoProperties:
I am Planning of Renting a new house in Lekki but to my best surprise after filling the Tenancy form and all , The lawyer asked me do undertaking that I will be the one to pay any form of tax incurred during my stay in the House Be it tenement rate , Land Use

I told him have never heard of such and he said then I’m not ready to take the house

Please enlighten me who is to Pay

Tenant Or Landlord

Landlord. That lawyer is a fraud
Re: Who Is To Pay Tenement Rate: Landlord Or Tenant? by OVIHINNO(m): 1:40pm On Jan 18, 2020
sholatem:
Tenement rate suppose to be paid by occupant of d apartment while land use charge is to be paid by landlord
who told u that? Better be careful oooo

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Royal Duplex In Anambra / Anambra Begins Sealing Of Filling Station In Residential Areas (Photos) / My Experience With A Landlord In Ibadan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.