Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,988 members, 7,852,337 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 04:29 PM

The Third Diary. Very Intriguing Short Story - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Third Diary. Very Intriguing Short Story (354 Views)

Behind The Mask - A Short Story / Don't Laugh Me, Love Me ( A Short Story) / The 2018 Commonwealth Short Story Prize Is Open For Entries. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Third Diary. Very Intriguing Short Story by EgbechoFaith2: 11:55am On Mar 09, 2018
The Salary of a single politician is four million? How come he has prodigious assets and also 17 million naira in the trunk of his car? I saw that big money in a Ghana-must-go bag and I just knew it was 17 million. Perper goes in and out of countries for trips and She the mother has an unquenchable penchant for whatever is exorbitant. Brother Junior has been abroad since he was 15; I do not even really know my own big brother.’ Loudly, I heard my name downstairs so I dropped the diary and began to walk downstairs. I heard Daddy saying, “Relax Sweetie, nothing is actually wrong with Bella. She doesn’t want a fat phone or any of these luxuries now but she will care about them later like women.”

“But she is already 22 and in the University yet she is so stoic and tame unlike her sisters.”

“She will come around; do not bother your sweet nerves. By the way, I was at that Lagos deal today and I got five million just for concealing the thing.”

Daddy is home tonight so we have to do prayer-before-going-to-bed. Attending will be Mr.&Mrs. Harry, their last child Michelle and me. But they had bore five healthy children.

The prayers went neat and orderly like a military performance and when I got to my room upstairs, I wrote, ‘Father Lord I wish these prayers cover my family’s sins till the day father stays home at night again and also stop Maradona my immediate elder sister from lying that she goes to night vigil every night whereas she smoked and languished in frivolity in different clubs. Who goes to vigil six times out of seven days in a week? And she calls that groove and enjoyment. To me enjoyment means doing different things that you love doing whenever you want to do them to have a great feel of it. Clubbing six times in a week is an addictive evil, very diabolical.

I never said anything at home because everyone hates my prejudices that I have been fully aware of. Once, I complained about Maradona’s madness at dinner and she threw her spoon to my forehead leaving a deep, small scar. Mother tries to get closer to me but I had long locked my soul ever since Junior left the country and daddy began to appear and disappear on us in course of politics. Love is still in a tight traffic jam while on its way to my family. Anyways, I found something; I owed all explanations to my diary.

At the last page of my first diary, I wrote, ‘The kind of family I was born to have also made me congealed in class. I am that kid that looks spoilt and contributes nothing to anyone in class.’ I had just started writing on the second diary and at the last page again I wrote, ‘I could have gadgets or a car yet I will not have any now, androids and social media can wait till I am done with my first year in this state university that I had chosen stubbornly for myself. Next as I live, I will travel from country to country to search for where corruption is nil and then, I will end up travelling to all the countries in the planet because I will find none unconstrained of greed and manipulations.’

My fingers flipped through the first pages where I eye-glanced my previous jots. ‘The president standing in the middle of the assumed rescued Chibok Girls after their kidnap since April, 2014 looked like a jester. The elaborate picture of the joke was displayed on national papers where anyone with a brain could see it and wonder what a dramatization of crime in Nigeria. Perpetual, my oldest sister had gotten pregnant for the love of her life because his family insisted she does so to make sure that her womb was intact. She had met the guy from the middle class in one of her numerous trips and father had refused his friend’s newspaper house from carrying the wedding news because maybe he thought the protruding stomach of his not yet married daughter will divulge to the world some of his debris.’ In capital letters, I had written, ‘I wish the baby in Perpetual’s womb dies in her first trimester so that we can see what the family of her husband will do.’ I knew they were a little scared of father’s money and his bogus looking daughters. On the fifth page I had written, ‘To think that the friends in Maradona’s Whatsapp chat who post status of their idly videos do not know that spelling of names of people and places starts with capital letters. Yuck!’

Too much conversations I savoured in my diaries that mother got for me, maybe to aid me speak to myself with words instead of a voice that I do not have. I locked the diary as usual and hid the two keys securely in my singlet, in between my fat breasts and dozed off, I took the keys with me wherever I went to during the day. In the morning, I rushed out to school threatened and bothered about what I had written in page three and four.

Michelle was my younger sister but not my friend. She was what I would have been but did not end up being. Someone that would always want to give me lectures on how to leer rich aged men visually. A 15-year-old-girl just prefers aged men for friends and the worst she takes pictures of her notebooks and sends to her friends who were not in school and they slaughter teachers in mockery. Michelle was an epitome of rudeness and decadence and many times I concluded that Mother became pregnant of her the day she made love to Father after one of their long squabbles that had led to drinking, shattering of bottles and later ending up in bed together leaving I and Maradona deranged.

Mrs. Harry, my mother came into my room when I got back from school and embraced me wholly in a way that I had to look at myself twice to make sure I have not suddenly become Michelle. Then she handed me two little drugs that I refused out of surprise. “Mother what are these for?”

“Oh baby, you have come of that age. These are the drugs women take when they get to your age. It holds something very feminine and special between mother and daughters.” She explained and kissed my forehead.

“Ok” I slowly said and took it with the water she had brought in a glass. I did not bother to ask if she had given those drugs to my sisters because I was sure she had since she loved them the most. When she left, I covered myself with my blanket, thinking of the kiss she gave me, if she really loves me and if I was really special to her. It was a good thought that made me write in my diary, ‘I love you mother and I miss you since the day you gave birth to Michelle.’ Again,I was tempted to read what I had written in page three and four.

A day came out of the blue,....
Continue here
http://egbechofaith.com/third-diary-new-storyyourlibraryforreals/

(1) (Reply)

This Question Will Make You Change / 14 Tips For Custom Phd Thesis Writing / Graphics Designer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.