Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,824 members, 7,810,167 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:20 PM

Smoke In Arik Air Plane Forces Pilot To Make Emergency Landing In Ghana - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Smoke In Arik Air Plane Forces Pilot To Make Emergency Landing In Ghana (15309 Views)

Alaska Aircraft Forced To Make Emergency Landing After Window Blows Out Mid-air / Adeola Ogunmola Becomes The First Female Pilot To Fly Qatar Air To Abuja / Plane Forced To Make Emergency Landing After Passenger Refused To Stop Farting ( (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Smoke In Arik Air Plane Forces Pilot To Make Emergency Landing In Ghana by kwessiStewie2(m): 9:29am On Mar 10, 2018
There was palpable tension on board an Arik Air Dash 8 Q400 aircraft on March 6, 2018 as undetected source of smoke in the aircraft cabin forced the pilot in command of the flight to declare emergency 81 nautical miles to the Kotoka International Airport, Accra , Ghana.

The confusion that enveloped passengers on board was triggered by failure of the oxygen masks to deploy after the crew on board tried to calm down passengers, who had gone into prayer sessions as the smoke escalated.

A passenger, who sent the incident message on social media said the cabin crew issued them serviette to cover their noses to avoid being choked by the smoke.

The passenger recounted his experience thus :” I boarded Arik air flight W3304 to Accra on Tuesday 06/03/2018. The name of the aircraft is STEPHEN. It was a Dash 8 NextGen propeller aircraft. The flight took off precisely 7.20pm (Lagos time) 35 minutes into the 55 minutes flight, I started perceiving something smelling like a burning stuff.

“Shortly after the guy sitting next to me asked if I perceived any smell of burning stuff and that confirmed my worst fears. Before you could say jack, smoke had filled the cabin. The air hostesses were busy scampering around opening the cabins and the lavatories to check if they could trace the source of the smoke without success.

“While that continued, the oxygen masks that were always being advertised during the safety demo prior to take-off couldn’t be released instead we were handed tissue papers (otherwise called serviets) to use to cover our noses to minimize and filter out possible carbon monoxide inhalation.

“About 5 minutes after, precisely with 15 minutes of flight time remaining, the pilot came on the public address system to inform us that they have smoke coming into the cabin and that they don’t know the source and that they have DECLARED EMERGENCY”.

“At that point we knew that our lives were only in God’s hands. Everyone prayed to his/her Gods.

“To the glory of God, the flight successfully landed by 8.15pm (7.15pm Accra time) to the waiting of several fire service trucks at Kotoko International airport, Accra.

“We were evacuated into a waiting bus with instruction to leave everything behind in the cabin. Sadly there was no Arik official to address us neither was there any manner of first aid attention given to the passengers to manage stress and possible elevated blood pressures.

“After a while our cabin luggage were brought to us and we had to leave from there to go through the Ghana immigration to our individual destinations.

“I’m highly discouraged that this near crash major incident was not reported in the media 2 days after (today is 08/03/2018) and I suspect a cover up by Arik and the authorities. So I have chosen to use the social media to ensure this news gets out.

“Kindly keep forwarding this message till everybody is made aware of the quality and kind of services Arik air gives and the possible cover ups before something terrible happens.

“If anyone is in doubt, I can be reached through chymexus@yahoo.com and I can provide my phone number for further verification.”

While confirming the incident ,Arik Air on Friday gave clarifications on how unknown source of smoke was detected in the cabin of its Dash 8 Q400 aircraft that was on flight W3 304 from Lagos to Accra on March 6, 2018 forcing the pilot in command to declare an emergency 81 nautical miles to airport of disembarkation.

According to its Public Relations and Communications Manager, Adebanji Ola, the pilot took the safety step in line with standard operating procedures .

Ola said the captain of the flight briefed the passengers accordingly assuring them that the aircraft was under control and safe for landing in Accra.

The aircraft, he said landed safely in Accra without further incident and all passengers disembarked normally.

He said :” The aircraft is currently parked in Acrra and our team of engineers are conducting comprehensive inspections on the aircraft to ascertain the cause of the smoke, after which the aircraft will be flown without passengers to a maintenance facility for rectification and testing. The relevant aviation authorities in Ghana and Nigeria have been briefed appropriately on the incident.”

https://www.google.com.ng/amp/thenationonlineng.net/smoke-arik-air-plane-forces-pilot-declare-emergency-accra-bound-flight/amp/

Re: Smoke In Arik Air Plane Forces Pilot To Make Emergency Landing In Ghana by AntiWailer: 10:09am On Mar 10, 2018
Sad.
Re: Smoke In Arik Air Plane Forces Pilot To Make Emergency Landing In Ghana by omop20(m): 10:35am On Mar 10, 2018
The Nigerian Aviation system needs total overhauling. In short the whole country needs to be overhauled. I mean, if a vehicle gets faulty on transit, you could pack and call a technician. But where you go pack if plane develop fault? This Buhari sef!

Meanwhile, kudos to the pilot for a job well done!!!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Smoke In Arik Air Plane Forces Pilot To Make Emergency Landing In Ghana by castrol180(m): 10:35am On Mar 10, 2018
plane crash again? Thank God this doesn't happen...it is due to old planes dumped and used for commercial in Nigeria and other sister countries in Africa by the oyibos/Arabians
Re: Smoke In Arik Air Plane Forces Pilot To Make Emergency Landing In Ghana by bsaying(m): 10:36am On Mar 10, 2018
Thank God no life was lost......
Re: Smoke In Arik Air Plane Forces Pilot To Make Emergency Landing In Ghana by 9japrof(m): 10:37am On Mar 10, 2018
When one is swearing that nothing would take him into Dana Air, then Arik carry their own enter..

Cutting off flying Nigerian airlines entirely ain't easy, more especially the roads being worse.

Infact surviving in Nigeria is a miracle, everyday you are alive in this country, just give glory to God or whatever deity you worship

31 Likes

Re: Smoke In Arik Air Plane Forces Pilot To Make Emergency Landing In Ghana by chris4gold(m): 10:38am On Mar 10, 2018
who dey board airline again, me prefer witchcraft o jare grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Smoke In Arik Air Plane Forces Pilot To Make Emergency Landing In Ghana by Yuhapopo: 10:39am On Mar 10, 2018
All those people Don come again ooo

1 Like

Re: Smoke In Arik Air Plane Forces Pilot To Make Emergency Landing In Ghana by millionboi2: 10:39am On Mar 10, 2018
Arik again

4 Likes

Re: Smoke In Arik Air Plane Forces Pilot To Make Emergency Landing In Ghana by godfatherx: 10:39am On Mar 10, 2018
Mod & OP are sick, what has this Pix got to do with the news

2 Likes

Re: Smoke In Arik Air Plane Forces Pilot To Make Emergency Landing In Ghana by GODISGREAT01: 10:40am On Mar 10, 2018
Melo melo là fẹ sọ. Áfríkà- meaning (ibi tí wọ́n ti free a ti ṣe ìkà)

2 Likes

Re: Smoke In Arik Air Plane Forces Pilot To Make Emergency Landing In Ghana by Paschal001: 10:42am On Mar 10, 2018
Chai
Re: Smoke In Arik Air Plane Forces Pilot To Make Emergency Landing In Ghana by martineverest(m): 10:43am On Mar 10, 2018
air coffins everywhere

2 Likes

Re: Smoke In Arik Air Plane Forces Pilot To Make Emergency Landing In Ghana by Nobody: 10:46am On Mar 10, 2018
All this 30 years old aircraft Nigerian air carrier deploy for there operations. Na God hand we dey

1 Like

Re: Smoke In Arik Air Plane Forces Pilot To Make Emergency Landing In Ghana by anibirelawal(m): 10:48am On Mar 10, 2018
Not again...

1 Like

Re: Smoke In Arik Air Plane Forces Pilot To Make Emergency Landing In Ghana by Proffdada: 10:49am On Mar 10, 2018
godfatherx:
I wonder o

1 Like

Re: Smoke In Arik Air Plane Forces Pilot To Make Emergency Landing In Ghana by ELKHALIFAISIS(m): 10:50am On Mar 10, 2018
kwessiStewie2:

https://www.google.com.ng/amp/thenationonlineng.net/smoke-arik-air-plane-forces-pilot-declare-emergency-accra-bound-flight/amp/
and this the airline buhari and his cohorts want to converts to national Carrier... buhari and his family must first fly Aero contractor and Arik for 1yr before he commercialize it for public usage

4 Likes

Re: Smoke In Arik Air Plane Forces Pilot To Make Emergency Landing In Ghana by Hector09(m): 10:52am On Mar 10, 2018
Chai everything in this country is rotten so why are we blaming buhari always
Re: Smoke In Arik Air Plane Forces Pilot To Make Emergency Landing In Ghana by moscobabs(m): 10:53am On Mar 10, 2018
I said it this morning that our moderators are lazy, seun needs to train these guys, what does Buhari picture got to do with Arik line incompetency ?

and was sent to frontpage without editing

oga gan o
Re: Smoke In Arik Air Plane Forces Pilot To Make Emergency Landing In Ghana by Ibibioesan(m): 10:56am On Mar 10, 2018
Is this a corruption matter?
Let me finish my presentation in Ghana

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d8ubUxDAmI
Re: Smoke In Arik Air Plane Forces Pilot To Make Emergency Landing In Ghana by Nobody: 10:57am On Mar 10, 2018
castrol180:
plane crash again? Thank God this doesn't happen...it is due to old planes dumped and used for commercial in Nigeria and other sister countries in Africa by the oyibos/Arabians

Also poor maintenance culture

1 Like

Re: Smoke In Arik Air Plane Forces Pilot To Make Emergency Landing In Ghana by peacockremi(m): 10:57am On Mar 10, 2018
is that ur mummy
Re: Smoke In Arik Air Plane Forces Pilot To Make Emergency Landing In Ghana by goslowgoslow(m): 11:00am On Mar 10, 2018
omop20:
The Nigerian Aviation system needs total overhauling. In short the whole country needs to be overhauled. I mean, if a vehicle gets faulty on transit, you could pack and call a technician. But where you go pack if plane develop fault? This Buhari sef!

Meanwhile, kudos to the pilot for a job well done!!!
Must you mention Buhari? Slowpoke
Re: Smoke In Arik Air Plane Forces Pilot To Make Emergency Landing In Ghana by SirNumeroUno: 11:01am On Mar 10, 2018
What's wrong with the management of Arik airline? Even after the change of leadership the same problem persists. Can they just merge with Another airline to reduce loss of innocent lives.

1 Like

Re: Smoke In Arik Air Plane Forces Pilot To Make Emergency Landing In Ghana by Innov8ve1: 11:08am On Mar 10, 2018
These airline should stop using old air crafts but instead buy new ones.
Re: Smoke In Arik Air Plane Forces Pilot To Make Emergency Landing In Ghana by omop20(m): 11:08am On Mar 10, 2018
goslowgoslow:

Must you mention Buhari? Slowpoke

Your father is a slowpoke. Idiot. Your head like traffic light.
Re: Smoke In Arik Air Plane Forces Pilot To Make Emergency Landing In Ghana by adecz: 11:10am On Mar 10, 2018
Everything is collapsing.

The only sector that is progressing
& increasing in stature is corruption
& NEPA (whatever its current name angry) bills....

What a country..

Tufiakwa!!

Re: Smoke In Arik Air Plane Forces Pilot To Make Emergency Landing In Ghana by skallion7(m): 11:16am On Mar 10, 2018
godfatherx:
The OP is a ghanaian, he's just dumb
Re: Smoke In Arik Air Plane Forces Pilot To Make Emergency Landing In Ghana by Goldenheart(m): 11:17am On Mar 10, 2018
Ok

(1) (2) (Reply)

Fed Govt Goes Tough On Visa Issuance To Stop Terrorists / Air France Announces The Suspension Of Flights To Niger & Mali / Traffic Advisory: PDP Campaign Rally Holds At TBS In Lagos Today.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.