Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,359 members, 7,836,465 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 08:20 AM

Transmission Problem In Camry 2003 .HELP - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Transmission Problem In Camry 2003 .HELP (2013 Views)

Corolla 010 Transmission Problem / Acura Mdx Transmission Problem / Honda Accord 2003 V6 Engine Transmission Problem (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Transmission Problem In Camry 2003 .HELP by Dokidoki: 12:43pm On Mar 11, 2018
hello car gurus I need your expert opinion about my vehicle. I noticed on cold start(in the morning or after bn parked for about 8hrs),the vehicle transmission does nt enter drive(it enters reverse gear easily).it gives a sound similar to bn in neutral gear(possibly it slips to N).
I am able to overcome the slip by raising RPM to about 3+ and it then enters drive with a loud thump.afterwhich the car drives normal throughout the day , selecting all gears smoothly and as appropriate(ofcourse until it's parked for another 8hrs plus nd I av to force it into drive gear again)
I also noticed that when I move to drive gear in the morning and I depress the brakes for about 7-9seconds ,d car shifts into gear with a mild thump nd am good for the day.
I also have bn able to overcome the early morning problem by allowing the vehicle to warm in the morning for about 10minutes(when I do that car shifts smoothly from start)
I have changed my transmission oil(T4) and av even cleaned d gear filter with no difference.am yet to scan d transmission but I will appreciate suggestions from experts in the house.
my mechanic here says it's valve body.another one said I shld change d gear while fingers av also bn pointed at gear selector and sensors.
vehicle is Toyota Camry 2003 V6.
I just remembered problem started after I used my battery to start someone's car nd my RPM became low so I had d Mech increase it temporarily till it normalise which happened nd gave me high rpm... though I tried reducing it bt it's still higher than normal(could dt be related to d gear issue I started experiencing afterwards?)

gazzuzz
GAZZUZZ
kingsreign
mayor
kayshif

all other car gurus ur advise is needed.
Re: Transmission Problem In Camry 2003 .HELP by mayor2013: 1:50pm On Mar 11, 2018
Currently when car warms up during idling what is your rpm value. Could you emphasize further on how battery removal was done that was used to start another car
Re: Transmission Problem In Camry 2003 .HELP by Kashif(m): 3:14pm On Mar 11, 2018
Dokidoki:
hello car gurus I need your expert opinion about my vehicle. I noticed on cold start(in the morning or after bn parked for about 8hrs),the vehicle transmission does nt enter drive(it enters reverse gear easily).it gives a sound similar to bn in neutral gear(possibly it slips to N).
I am able to overcome the slip by raising RPM to about 3+ and it then enters drive with a loud thump.afterwhich the car drives normal throughout the day , selecting all gears smoothly and as appropriate(ofcourse until it's parked for another 8hrs plus nd I av to force it into drive gear again)
I also noticed that when I move to drive gear in the morning and I depress the brakes for about 7-9seconds ,d car shifts into gear with a mild thump nd am good for the day.
I also have bn able to overcome the early morning problem by allowing the vehicle to warm in the morning for about 10minutes(when I do that car shifts smoothly from start)
I have changed my transmission oil(T4) and av even cleaned d gear filter with no difference.am yet to scan d transmission but I will appreciate suggestions from experts in the house.
my mechanic here says it's valve body.another one said I shld change d gear while fingers av also bn pointed at gear selector and sensors.
I just remembered problem started after I used my battery to start someone's car nd my RPM became low so I had d Mech increase it temporarily till it normalise which happened nd gave me high rpm... though I tried reducing it bt it's still higher than normal(could dt be related to d gear issue I started experiencing afterwards?)

gazzuzz
GAZZUZZ
kingsreign
mayor
kayshif

Tell your mechanic to take your engine idle speed back to original setting (however he did it). The higher than normal engine idle speed is causing issues.

After you used your battery to jumpstart​ another car, your car lost volatile memory where stuffs like engine control mapping is stored. All that was needed was to drive the car for some time to relearn.

Na you cause your wahala.

1 Like

Re: Transmission Problem In Camry 2003 .HELP by Dokidoki: 3:39pm On Mar 11, 2018
mayor2013:
Currently when car warms up during idling what is your rpm value. Could you emphasize further on how battery removal was done that was used to start another car
car starts off at above 2k RPM and when it warms it's btwn 600-800rpm nd shift is smooth.
battery change was done by removing terminals (cnt remember which was removed first)
Re: Transmission Problem In Camry 2003 .HELP by Dokidoki: 3:50pm On Mar 11, 2018
Kashif:

Tell your mechanic to take your engine idle speed back to original setting (however he did it). The higher than normal engine idle speed is causing issues.

After you used your battery to jumpstart​ another car, your car lost volatile memory where stuffs like engine control mapping is stored. All that was needed was to drive the car for some time to relearn.

Na you cause your wahala.
I always suspected I caused the problem.
na good Samaritan I Dy try do land me for dis wahala.

are u saying d issue is nt transmission related in anyways?
or did I make it transmission related by my actions?

will be restoring d RPM to normal tomorrow hopefully nd give you a report on my findings.
Re: Transmission Problem In Camry 2003 .HELP by Dokidoki: 3:53pm On Mar 11, 2018
initially when d issue started ,I raised my suspicion to the Mech dt it was d high RPM bt he dismissed it saying "high rpm go make d car dy run faster nd jump forward at startup nt cos slips"
cheesy
Re: Transmission Problem In Camry 2003 .HELP by Nobody: 4:24pm On Mar 11, 2018
Dokidoki:

na good Samaritan I Dy try do land me for dis wahala.
Maybe not. Perhaps the jump starting was not properly done. Where did you fix the negative cable on the recipient vehicle?
Re: Transmission Problem In Camry 2003 .HELP by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:25pm On Mar 11, 2018
Dokidoki:

gazzuzz
GAZZUZZ
kingsreign
mayor
kayshif

your mechanic increased the RPM of your car via the TPS. Return TPS value a minimum of 7percent.
Re: Transmission Problem In Camry 2003 .HELP by Nobody: 4:30pm On Mar 11, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

your mechanic increased the RPM of your car via the TPS. Return TPS value a minimum of 7percent.
...provided he has the scan tool to see that on live data.
Re: Transmission Problem In Camry 2003 .HELP by Dokidoki: 5:06pm On Mar 11, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

thanks GAZZUZZ
I don't understand what tps means
could you post a brief of how to lower the tps sir?
thanks again
Re: Transmission Problem In Camry 2003 .HELP by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:11pm On Mar 11, 2018
the 2003 camry V6. Toyota was experimenting with electronic throttle body.

It's an interesting setup, electronic throttle body plus independent TPS on the other end.

Current TPS value will be over 20per, but the idle will still come down to 750-850 after temp values hit 80-96deg celcius, but on initial cold startup, RPM will be about 2000rpm.

Current TPS readings give wrong instructions to transmission ecu.

1 Like

Re: Transmission Problem In Camry 2003 .HELP by hakimi1974(m): 5:13pm On Mar 11, 2018
Dokidoki:
initially when d issue started ,I raised my suspicion to the Mech dt it was d high RPM bt he dismissed it saying "high rpm go make d car dy run faster nd jump forward at startup nt cos slips"
cheesy
so, you have been playing with kazeem f.c? make you do fasterly switch club ooo.
Re: Transmission Problem In Camry 2003 .HELP by Dokidoki: 5:34pm On Mar 11, 2018
GAZZUZZ:
the 2003 camry V6. Toyota was experimenting with electronic throttle body.

It's an interesting setup, electronic throttle body plus independent TPS on the other end.

Current TPS value will be over 20per, but the idle will still come down to 750-850 after temp values hit 80-96deg celcius, but on initial cold startup, RPM will be about 2000rpm.

Current TPS readings give wrong instructions to transmission ecu.

cn u give me a simple guide to what to instruct my Mech to do towards restoring tps value to factory settings
Re: Transmission Problem In Camry 2003 .HELP by mayor2013: 6:44pm On Mar 11, 2018
Dokidoki:

cn u give me a simple guide to what to instruct my Mech to do towards restoring tps value to factory settings

Forget about this your mecho doesn't have the equipment. Or you want more damage done to the existing
Re: Transmission Problem In Camry 2003 .HELP by Dokidoki: 6:59pm On Mar 11, 2018
mayor2013:

Forget about this your mecho doesn't have the equipment. Or you want more damage done to the existing
am nt in Lagos
I wnt be returning to d same Mech
but I need to know what to tell a new Mech to do...Nd also to know if he is doing the right thing.
i will be going to a more standard autoshop
Re: Transmission Problem In Camry 2003 .HELP by thebigkendo(m): 12:58pm On Mar 12, 2018
Dokidoki:

am nt in Lagos
but I need to know what to tell a new Mech to do...Nd also to know if he is doing the right thing.

Google & YouTube is your friend
Re: Transmission Problem In Camry 2003 .HELP by GAZZUZZ(m): 1:12pm On Mar 12, 2018
Dokidoki:

am nt in Lagos

look for a Mech that you don't need to tell what to do.
Re: Transmission Problem In Camry 2003 .HELP by Dokidoki: 7:05pm On Mar 15, 2018
fixed throttle position sensor issue.gear issues persist.
scanned vehicle..... transmission oil pump failure and transmission oil temperature sensor failure.(wrote codes down bt cnt find d paper).
Mech advises transmission change.
another Mech says since it's ten pin gear,it cn be repaired.
personally no moni for trans change yet.
advise pls.
cn it be repaired?or do I jst save up for new Trans.
any other suggestions are welcome.

GAZZUZZ
kayshif
mayor
kingsreign
nurey

help again
Re: Transmission Problem In Camry 2003 .HELP by Dokidoki: 7:06pm On Mar 15, 2018
P S-. RPM now normal.
Re: Transmission Problem In Camry 2003 .HELP by mayor2013: 7:16pm On Mar 15, 2018
Dokidoki:
fixed throttle position sensor issue.gear issues persist.
scanned vehicle..... transmission oil pump failure and transmission oil temperature sensor failure.(wrote codes down bt cnt find d paper).
Mech advises transmission change.
another Mech says since it's ten pin gear,it cn be repaired.
personally no moni for trans change yet.
advise pls.
cn it be repaired?or do I jst save up for new Trans.
any other suggestions are welcome.

GAZZUZZ
kayshif
mayor
kingsreign
nurey

help again

Call on "Kashif" he can help you repair your transmission
Re: Transmission Problem In Camry 2003 .HELP by dicksonadams(m): 9:39pm On Jul 04, 2021
The many travail of car owners... It is well

(1) (Reply)

This Toyota iQ Smart Car Has An Aston Martin V8 Engine / 2009 Toyota Matrix Or 2009 Toyota Corolla / Building Simple Workshop Equipment Locally

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.