Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,177 members, 7,815,115 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:31 AM

Astronaut’s DNA No Longer Matches His Twin’s After A Year In Space - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Astronaut’s DNA No Longer Matches His Twin’s After A Year In Space (758 Views)

Russian Cosmonaut Breaks World Record In Space, Spends 878 Days In Orbit (Photo) / 'Earth's Evil Twin': NASA Heading To Venus For First Time In 30 Years (Photos) / Alexei Leonov Dies! The First Human Ever To Walk In Space Is Dead (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Astronaut’s DNA No Longer Matches His Twin’s After A Year In Space by EdifiedCEO: 4:26pm On Mar 15, 2018
Astronaut Scott Kelly spent a year in space and returned a changed man.

Kelly, who lived on the International Space Station while his identical twin Mark Kelly stayed on Earth, returned after 340 days with 7% of his genes altered, according to NASA.

The shocking transformation means Scott is no longer genetically identical to his twin.

Scott, who shared his own surprise over the latest NASA twin study results, tweeted,

“What? My DNA changed by 7%! Who knew? I just learned about it in this article.”

“This could be good news! I no longer have to call @ShuttleCDRKelly my identical twin brother anymore,” he added.

NY Daily News reports that ,some changes — like the lengthening of Scott’s telomeres, or the endcaps of chromosomes that shorten over time — reversed once he was subject to Earth’s gravity again.

But other changes persisted after six months. Researchers found a deficient amount of tissue oxygenation in Scott’s cells, and signs of stress to mitochondria, which transform nutrients into energy, along with increased inflammation.

Scott, who became the first American astronaut to spend a year in space, returned to Earth in March 2016.

http://newshelm.ng/astronauts-dna-no-longer-matches-his-twins-after-a-year-in-space/

cc lalasticlala mynd44
Re: Astronaut’s DNA No Longer Matches His Twin’s After A Year In Space by chuksjuve(m): 4:27pm On Mar 15, 2018
angry

In that case since buhari has defied all solution including advise and prayers to stop him from being wicked and nepotistic..

Perhaps it's high time we sent him to space for a year to alter his wicked gene to see if he would change for good!

Nwaamaikpe what do you think, since Sarkki will object to this!!

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Astronaut’s DNA No Longer Matches His Twin’s After A Year In Space by KwaraRat: 4:32pm On Mar 15, 2018
Viruses, vaccines can do that to your gene structure.
Re: Astronaut’s DNA No Longer Matches His Twin’s After A Year In Space by NwaAmaikpe: 4:45pm On Mar 15, 2018
shocked

Maybe he was having sex with aliens.

Then the aliens gave him a sexually transmitted disease that altered his DNA.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Astronaut’s DNA No Longer Matches His Twin’s After A Year In Space by khalhokage(m): 5:08pm On Mar 15, 2018
Wow! cool.

(1) (Reply)

‘how Amazon Helped Me Transition To A Woman’ / Hp 15 42k / How Nigerians Access Instant Loans On Fairmoney Without Collateral

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.