Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,448 members, 7,823,061 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 10:55 PM

Epistle To The Undergraduate Student - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Epistle To The Undergraduate Student (525 Views)

Which Handwork Is Best To Learn For An Undergraduate Student To Be Independent / As Undergraduate Student, Your Phone Gallery Is Filled With Something Like This / The Big Size Of An Undergraduate's Project Hardcopy (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Epistle To The Undergraduate Student by isoh(m): 6:56am On Mar 16, 2018
.........TO THE UNDERGRADUATE STUDENT

It is not just a humble advice to you undergratuate students, but a suggestion for you which if you can buy the idea will go a long way in helping you to become independent (to certain extent) after your graduation.

By virtue of my job function both in the secular and sacred world, I've had the opportunity to meet a number of young graduates. And for a number of them I've always asked...."my friend other than this At paper your school's senate gave to you, what other thing (skill) do you have?" 75% have akways given very ridiculous answers like I have very good listening skiils, i can speak igbo, hausa and yoruba fluently, i can cook, etc.

I found some of these replies funny because these graduates don't have an ample idea of what happens outside the walls of the ivory tower.

Some few years back, as an undergraduate student that had excellent abilities I mathematics. I dedicated my Saturdays to teachings of the lesser level any mathematical course they were offering. I would wake up early on Saturday and write on the floors of the hostel ...." Tutorial for MTH 101, MTH 201 @ complex A by 8:00am" A few number of 20 or 30 students would show up and I will muddle the little maths I knew into their mind. Little did I know that over time I had built an excellent teaching skill and pedagogical incucation for myself that would proved to be an excellent fund generating venture in the near future. A few years later, now a graduate I've made a few 7 digits from that skill I acquired and tested for free among my peers back in school.

What I'm I trying to tell you my beloved?
Listen, it's substantial that you acquire at least one skill before you graduate. Do not just restrict yourself to only what you're been taught within the four walls of the classroom.

You may not know that there may be some lucrative skills in that course you are studying until you extend your knowledge beyond just what you learn from lectures.

Many courses have skills which a serious undergraduate student can acquire within the period of time he/she is still on campus. I know of courses like Agriculture, Botany, Zoology, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical engineering (my own course of study), among others, but it all depends on your own interest.

For instance, as an Undergraduate Student of Zoology Department, you can acquire skills on Bee Keeping and Management, or even in Fishery; there are so many of them.

Also, a Student of Agriculture, you can acquire skills in some agricultural practices: you can choose to acquire skills on poultry management, plantain plantation, cultivation of other useful crops (like cucumber, water melon, etc.). You can as well set up your own farm where you can be practising your skills and knowledge so far.

As a student of Applied Biochemistry, you can choose to attach yourself to any Research Laboratory or Center without receiving any stipends; just put your interest. You can choose to be going there every weekend or twice in a week.

What about chemistry and Chemical Engineering students, have you thought of soap making, making air freshner, perfumery, and other things you can do with some chemicals that are affordable.

You are a Computer Science or Engineering student right? Yet you know nothing or little about computer. Have you thought of learning programming, have you thought of computer hardware and software installations and repairs? Trust me, any of these skills are cool, okay.

You are a student in Law Faculty? I can see, don't wait till you start practising, you can walk into one or two Chambers and tell them of your interest to be coming around to ask questions; just be humble. Also, you can go for different trainings on human development. You can acquire skill and develop your knowledge in writing certain topical issues relating to your discipline.

It pains me how some students of Mass Communication while away their precious time on campus whereas there are lots of ineteresting things someone in such a Department can opt in for.

As a student of Mass Communication, have you thought of owning and managing a blog site: whether it is news, entertainment, sports, human development, stories, events, peoples and culture, fashion, technology, politics, relationship and love, marketing, etc? There are lots of niches to join as a blogger, it all depends on your interests and passion.

Also, as a student of Mass Communication, you can be a News Reporter; you can also write scripts, sellable articles, and stories. You can come up with wonderful radio or television programmes and table it to a radio or television station. You can set up a Facebook Page For Publishing Articles/Stories and use it to train yourself and build massive internet media audience.

Mass Communication students can also acquire skills in photography; I don't mean roadside photographers. You can pick up interest in one thing or the other. For instance, you can pick up interest on photos of nature, and you can start with your smart phones and open up a Facebook Page with a Captivating Name where your photos on nature can be published.

As a student of Mass Communication, have you thought of video editimg or how to handle video/photo cameras? Listen, you can acquire just one of these skills. Not necessary you get all of them.

I will close th I my mentioning an excellent friend I met in my NYSC year. Muyiwa .....Mechanical engineering graduate of Lautech, he was introduced to MATLAB in his 400L as part of an assignement in Numerical methods, after that courts he when on to develop a few aptitude on MATLAB programming , at the time our paths crossed in the DLCF corpers lodge, he had garnered expertise in the programme language. Today he is the CEO Adels solution, a fast growing software development and application company with several staff. Note he read mechanical but has never function as an Engineer before but makes it big from programming a skill he picked up in school.

I dont what you are studying, whatever it may be my dear ......learn a skill, it will stand you out after graduation.

Thanks.

...........From the Desk of Moses Udoisoh ( Sir Newtons)
Re: Epistle To The Undergraduate Student by ishola98: 4:46pm On Mar 16, 2018
Thanks sir
Re: Epistle To The Undergraduate Student by Olu4all: 8:09pm On Mar 16, 2018
A word is enough for the wise. Thank you Sir.
Re: Epistle To The Undergraduate Student by LongBig(m): 1:40pm On Nov 15, 2021
Scammer pay Adrian his money!

(1) (Reply)

Learn How To Develop Web Applications Free Using Php/mysql - Empowerment Program / Whats Your Worst Exam Experience. Lol / Study MBBS Abroad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.