Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,419 members, 7,864,852 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 08:09 AM

Chronicles Of My 5 Day Trip From Benin To Abuja With An 03 EOD - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Chronicles Of My 5 Day Trip From Benin To Abuja With An 03 EOD (4257 Views)

Honda 03 EOD For Grab N1.7million / Durojaiye Kehinde Obasanjo: I Drove My Amphibious Car From Lagos To Abuja / Embark’s Truck Completes 2400mi Trip From LosAngeles To Florida Without A Driver (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chronicles Of My 5 Day Trip From Benin To Abuja With An 03 EOD by luvinhubby(m): 11:31pm On Mar 16, 2018
ogbiwa:
Found a tow van. Oga said 12k just to tow the car off the road. I thanked him and left. Then found a hotel nearby and checked my family in. Went back and got men around who helped us push the car away from the roadside to a more convenient spot. Got the head of security in the area who agreed to watch the car overnight for something in return. Made final arrangements for the mechanic who would start work on the engine early next morning. Took the battery out and gave to a battery charger in the area. Retired to the hotel.
Next morning after we had pushed the car to the mechanic's place he started opening the top to get to the gasket, only for us to discover it was actually the timing belt that had cut, plus a leaking water pump which explains the water in the radiator leaking out. I was happy it won't need the top.to be opened anymore. Went to Uromi from Ewu and bought the pump and belt. 10k. Came back. Phillip toiled away and by 6.30pm thereabout he had finally coupled everything. We started the ignition and it came to life, but the engine wasn't firing well nor producing enough power.

Not all mechanics know how to properly set timings.

2 Likes

Re: Chronicles Of My 5 Day Trip From Benin To Abuja With An 03 EOD by luvinhubby(m): 11:35pm On Mar 16, 2018
ogbiwa:

Thank you for following @luvinhubby. But from your posts do you really read the story or just here to look for loopholes? Did you see where I said that by now it was getting to 3pm. And we're in Ewu Edo state, not even gotten to Auchi. To get transport to Auchi from there is almost like a 30mins wait. Then by the time you get to Auchi by 4-5pm what car will be going to Abuja by that time of day?

You just posted the modified version, try read through your previous post that i quoted.

Oya continue.
Re: Chronicles Of My 5 Day Trip From Benin To Abuja With An 03 EOD by nurey(m): 11:39pm On Mar 16, 2018
luvinhubby:

You just posted the modified version, try read through your previous post that i quoted.

Oya continue.

haba let him finish the story nah, why you such a kill joy, are you a critique?

Kukuma put hand for him brain commot the tory grin

1 Like

Re: Chronicles Of My 5 Day Trip From Benin To Abuja With An 03 EOD by ogbiwa: 11:43pm On Mar 16, 2018
By now this was already Tuesday night. My family had stayed in the hotel from Monday hoping the car would be fine so we would continue the journey together on Wednesday. I had had it. The mecahnics were saying it was the valves may have been affected. Quick note, if your timing belt cuts and you know it was the timing belt (which is not easy to know at first glance anyway) pls do not attempt to restart the car until the belt has been changed.
Next morning I put my family on a car to Auchi from where they would get a car to Abuja. While the mechanic proceeded to open the engine's top to check the valves. Around 12pm he got to the valves and discovered they were ok. However he advised we changed the top gaskets. Went to Uromi again and got them. Came back, he changed it and started coupling again. Mehn it took that guy almost 2 hours of struggling to get the adjuster in place. But kudos to him anyway. To get a mechanic in the middle of nowhere where you know no one and who was skilled enough to go that deep into the engine is not easy. Finally the next morning (Thursday) around 11am he had got the last piece into place. Started the engine and it was firing well. Glory to God because I another bad news could have been crippling. Yes good news part. First, that morning while we were working there a trailer loaded with spaghetti lost it's brakes and fell almost at the same spot where the car had been in when it first spoilt. The Hausa guys in and on the trailer, including those hanging on top of it when it fell, all came out with varying degrees of injury but none was fatal. So around 12-1pm I drove the car again for the first time since Monday to the hotel, packed and Abuja was in my sights. Got to Gwagwalada around 7pm. Initially took a wrong turn on airport road rather than getting to zuba and kubwa expressway. Person don tire. Got to the house 8pm thereabouts, parked and glorified God. That was how a journey that started on Sunday ended up on Thursday.

5 Likes

Re: Chronicles Of My 5 Day Trip From Benin To Abuja With An 03 EOD by luvinhubby(m): 11:47pm On Mar 16, 2018
nurey:

haba let him finish the story nah, why you such a kill joy, are you a critique?

Kukuma put hand for him brain commot the tory grin

The guy dey waste time........today is world sleep day.

2 Likes

Re: Chronicles Of My 5 Day Trip From Benin To Abuja With An 03 EOD by ogbiwa: 11:47pm On Mar 16, 2018
luvinhubby:

Oya continue.

The time is stated clearly in my original post. You didn't read it while in your rush to exploit another loophole you (thought) you'd found. You've clearly distinguished yourself as a critique by nature. It's cool. Just have the complete facts before firing away though. The story is finished now. Fire away. Top job bro
Re: Chronicles Of My 5 Day Trip From Benin To Abuja With An 03 EOD by ogbiwa: 11:59pm On Mar 16, 2018
So what did I take away from this experience?
1. I knew this before but I will reiterate. Nigerians are good people and most of them would go out of their way to help people in dire need. Like I said it's just a handful of idiots who incite us one man against another and then cause all the damage. People I didn't know came out and helped me with this unfortunate event. I pray we will all find helpers too in our time of need. The old man who carried me to look for a mechanic when my wheel pulled in the middle of nowhere and motorists won't stop perhaps thinking they may be robbed. The Hausa guy that came a long way to see if there was anything he could do to help. I won't forget to mention a roadside welder who used his bike to help ferry me to all the places I needed to go to look for people. I paid him though but it was nothing compared to the heart he put into helping. The Igbo spare parts dealer in Uromi gave me a total discount of almost 3k on the last price when I told him we were stranded on the road. And the mechanic who also put his all to see us get to our destination, and left another 4k from his service fee because I had dried everything I had. God will bless them all.

18 Likes

Re: Chronicles Of My 5 Day Trip From Benin To Abuja With An 03 EOD by mejai(m): 1:44am On Mar 17, 2018
ogbiwa:
So what did I take away from this experience?
1. I knew this before but I will reiterate. Nigerians are good people and most of them would go out of their way to help people in dire need. Like I said it's just a handful of idiots who incite us one man against another and then cause all the damage. People I didn't know came out and helped me with this unfortunate event. I pray we will all find helpers too in our time of need. The old man who carried me to look for a mechanic when my wheel pulled in the middle of nowhere and motorists won't stop perhaps thinking they may be robbed. The Hausa guy that came a long way to see if there was anything he could do to help. I won't forget to mention a roadside welder who used his bike to help ferry me to all the places I needed to go to look for people. I paid him though but it was nothing compared to the heart he put into helping. The Igbo spare parts dealer in Uromi gave me a total discount of almost 3k on the last price when I told him we were stranded on the road. And the mechanic who also put his all to see us get to our destination, and left another 4k from his service fee because I had dried everything I had. God will bless them all.
what about us DAT read ur posts? nothing for us?
I can't take dis...

17 Likes

Re: Chronicles Of My 5 Day Trip From Benin To Abuja With An 03 EOD by timifakay(m): 2:44am On Mar 17, 2018
Sorry. But...

Re: Chronicles Of My 5 Day Trip From Benin To Abuja With An 03 EOD by banky3w(m): 3:30am On Mar 17, 2018
I did not see my mention...... Whoever is in charge should fix this thing before we have another Dancok on our hands oh cheesy
Timifakay, Abeg get ready for work when next I show for area oh.... I no want make Kaduna to ibadan be 5 weeks trip oh. OP sorry joor........ Lemme save your name..... Ogbiwa wink

1 Like

Re: Chronicles Of My 5 Day Trip From Benin To Abuja With An 03 EOD by aieromon(m): 4:00am On Mar 17, 2018
Nice story.

What is the current state of the ride?
Re: Chronicles Of My 5 Day Trip From Benin To Abuja With An 03 EOD by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:01am On Mar 17, 2018
thebigkendo:

First of all Why human being go travel with car weh get overheating issue??

Very soon Honda vs Toyota and Japanese vs German war go start

Demeanors report for duty
Bank.y3w, chuk.el, Diport.ivo, erico.2k2 GAZ.ZUZZ Kingre.ign LeJeu.n3 Mayor2.013 nu.rey obekediamon.dfuto Princ.etom1 timif.akay Ipfr.eely cosp.lay

Present Sir!
Re: Chronicles Of My 5 Day Trip From Benin To Abuja With An 03 EOD by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:18am On Mar 17, 2018
Interesting story!

looking at it from maintenance angle.

1. ball joints did not pull from joins (reason there was no clunking) the pull was between the threading of the ball joint and the nut.

solution: if you cannot afford OEM new parts, Buy toks ball joints, the threading is always stronger. it is also possible the nut was not tight in the first place, and started to have excessive play before it finally pulled.

2. coolant leaks: as long as you cannot see where the leak is coming from, don't try long distance driving.
With long distances, more fluid will be lost.

3. if your temp hits the high marks, allow engine cool (over an hour of waiting) before pouring water or coolant. Pouring water into a hot dried up engine will cause uneven contraction and will cause the mating surface of the head and block to become warped. Presently engine is only running because graphite gaskets are malleable, if you had installed factory spec metal headgasket, car wouldn't start.

4. timing belts and waterpump have a certain interval for replacement, for a V6 it should be around 140-160k miles, if you had followed that, this issue would never had come up.

5. When timing belt snaps on an engine that has interference, (piston able to travel distance of the valves) weather you start car or not, there will be contact. It is wise to check every valve before reassembling the head to the block. Presently engine runs, but I am sure not too smooth.

it was a good read.

11 Likes

Re: Chronicles Of My 5 Day Trip From Benin To Abuja With An 03 EOD by Nobody: 5:30am On Mar 17, 2018
GAZZUZZ:
Interesting story!

1. ball joints did not pull from joins (reason there was no clunking) the pull was between the threading of the ball joint and the nut.

solution: if you cannot afford OEM new parts, Buy toks ball joints, the threading is always stronger. it is also possible the nut was not tight in the first place, and started to have excessive play before it finally pulled.

2. coolant leaks: as long as you cannot see where the leak is coming from, don't try long distance driving.

3. if your temp hits the high marks, allow engine cool (over an hour of waiting) before pouring water or coolant. Pouring water into a hot dried up engine will cause uneven contraction and will cause the mating surface of the head and block to become warped. Presently engine is only running because graphite gaskets are malleable, if you had installed factory spec metal headgasket, car wouldn't start.

4. timing belts and waterpump have a certain interval for replacement, for a V6 it should be around 140-160k miles, if you had followed that, this issue would never had come up.

5. When timing belt snaps on an engine that has interference, (piston able to travel distance of the valves) weather you start car or not, there will be contact. It is wise to check every valve before reassembling the head to the block. Presently engine runs, but I am sure not too smooth.

it was a good read.

Chief, quick question for you.

Do our people come in for scheduled maintenance at all or they only come in when the car doesn't go anymore?

4 Likes

Re: Chronicles Of My 5 Day Trip From Benin To Abuja With An 03 EOD by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:04am On Mar 17, 2018
EgunMogaji:

Do our people come in for scheduled maintenance at all or they only come in when the car doesn't go anymore?

Very very few like 1per of my clientel,
I mostly advise and the responsible ones agree to go with advise, while the alaroros say leave am till e spoil.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chronicles Of My 5 Day Trip From Benin To Abuja With An 03 EOD by pcwhiz(m): 7:44am On Mar 17, 2018
all of you here actually faulting the OP, just pray your automobile never breaks down in the middle of no where. That's when you will know true frustration. Had an auto transmission problem on Kaduna-Abuja expressway on a car that was previously just service days prior to the journey. An aunt's tokunbo Rav 4 engined knocked at abuja, a journey of kaduna to Akure. engine don knock for abuja. OP i feel your pain. God bless the strangers who came to your aid. Nigerians are actually the most nicest people.

4 Likes

Re: Chronicles Of My 5 Day Trip From Benin To Abuja With An 03 EOD by Cosplay: 8:15am On Mar 17, 2018
pcwhiz:
all of you here actually faulting the OP, just pray your automobile never breaks down in the middle of no where. That's when you will know true frustration. Had an auto transmission problem on Kaduna-Abuja expressway on a car that was previously just service days prior to the journey. An aunt's tokunbo Rav 4 engined knocked at abuja, a journey of kaduna to Akure. engine don knock for abuja. OP i feel your pain. God bless the strangers who came to your aid. Nigerians are actually the most nicest people.

The engine just knocked? Just like that? Even with complete service, appropriate oil changes at appropriate intervals and with no sound or otherwise warnings or changes or drop in performance or even CELs?

Wow.
Re: Chronicles Of My 5 Day Trip From Benin To Abuja With An 03 EOD by ogbiwa: 8:42am On Mar 17, 2018
GAZZUZZ:
Interesting story!

it was a good read.

Yea. I defaulted on topping the radiator when the engine had not properly cooled. Though I won't be the first long distance driver to do that nor will I be the last. Thank you for the valid points I learnt a thing or two. You know what's funny, my brother just took that car out and within Abuja the same timing belt I changed snapped again. THANKFULLY this didn't happen again on the express in no man's land on my way back. It wouldn't have been near cool atall. Truth is we've just about had it with the car.

Lalasticlala Mynd44

2 Likes

Re: Chronicles Of My 5 Day Trip From Benin To Abuja With An 03 EOD by Nobody: 8:49am On Mar 17, 2018
EgunMogaji:

the issue is more complicated than that

most of us know, on some level, that our kazzeems and artisans in general are ripping us off
the avoidance of maintenance is not just about carelessness, but about wariness.

9 times out of 10, you send your car to be fixed or maintained, something is stolen from it.
or worse, you begin on a odyssey of needless repairs

there was an instance when a vendor engaged by our company swapped out the brakes on an ogas car so that they would come back to order new brakes. there was a time i believe they swapped out my car tires ; because i suddenly noticed that my one year old car had worn out tires.

this applies to just about everything. for instance i have an asus laptop with a battery issue. unfortunatly, i just found that yu have to take the laptop apart to get at the battery. i'm comfortable with run of the mill swapping of hdd, ram etal, but i shy away from complete disassembly. i am 80% sure if i take the laptop to fis the battery , a week latter something will stop working or fail, maybe my speakers or something, becaus the average nigerian, as you have learnt is a predatory , greedy bastard

the solution is not practical - resolve to spend the entire day at the workshop of the repairer.

unfortunately gazzuz does not have festac outreach.

3 Likes

Re: Chronicles Of My 5 Day Trip From Benin To Abuja With An 03 EOD by erico2k2(m): 8:50am On Mar 17, 2018
ogbiwa:

Thank you for following @luvinhubby. But from your posts do you really read the story or just here to look for loopholes? Did you see where I said that by now it was getting to 3pm. And we're in Ewu Edo state, not even gotten to Auchi. To get transport to Auchi from there is almost like a 30mins wait. Then by the time you get to Auchi by 4-5pm what car will be going to Abuja by that time of day?
Guy relax nah joke we all dey joke.joke . If we nor yab U like this the story nor go sweet . You know wen u dey cook soup nah different mede mede u dey put so nah we B dat kontinu grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Chronicles Of My 5 Day Trip From Benin To Abuja With An 03 EOD by ogbiwa: 8:51am On Mar 17, 2018
mejai:
what about us DAT read ur posts? nothing for us? I can't take dis...
Gather everybody bro. You're welcome, don't mention it

3 Likes

Re: Chronicles Of My 5 Day Trip From Benin To Abuja With An 03 EOD by Ishilove: 8:53am On Mar 17, 2018
oyb:

most of us know, on some level, that our kazzeems and artisans in general are ripping us off
the avoidance of maintenance is not just about carelessness, but about wariness.

9 times out of 10, you send your car to be fixed or maintained, something is stolen from it.

this applies to just about everything. for instance i have an asus laptop with a battery issue. unfortunatly, i just found that yu have to take the laptop apart to get at the battery. i'm comfortable with run of the mill swapping of hdd, ram etal, but i shy away from complete disassembly. i am 80% sure if i take the laptop to fis the battery , a week latter something will stop working or fail, maybe my speakers or something, becaus the average nigerian, as you have learnt is a predatory , greedy bastard

Phew! I thought I saw 'anus' laptop. My eyes almost popped out of their sockets cheesy
Re: Chronicles Of My 5 Day Trip From Benin To Abuja With An 03 EOD by ogbiwa: 9:00am On Mar 17, 2018
oyb:

there was an instance when a vendor engaged by our company swapped out the brakes on an ogas car so that they would come back to order new brakes. there was a time i believe they swapped out my car tires ; because i suddenly noticed that my one year old car had worn out tires.

the solution is not practical - resolve to spend the entire day at the workshop of the repairer.

Totally right bro. You'll hear just one slight noise in your car, take it to the mechs to check it and fix, and by the time you get the car back, that noise may have reduced but in it's place would be 3 other noises plus a wobble that wasn't there before. So I usually prefer to manage the small noise until I have to absolutely do something about it. Add that to the time it zaps to spend hours at the mechs waiting for your car to be finished.
Re: Chronicles Of My 5 Day Trip From Benin To Abuja With An 03 EOD by adanny01(m): 9:57am On Mar 17, 2018
ogbiwa:
Sunday morning we embarked on the return trip and that's where it started. As I was making a U turn in front of our inlaws's house it happened. Every EOD driver's worst fear- I heard a loud ku! sound and before I could finish turning the front tire had pulled off, on a Sunday. Luckily we got a mech and luckily he was also able to buy the nut that pulled. Then he tied it with a metal wire after bolting the nut in place. I didn't know much about ball joints to be honest as this was my first experience with a Honda. Before now I've travelled extensively with 2 other cars- 03 and 06 Corolla and there had always been rest of mind. Also used a babyboy and another 4 cylinder EOD but never travelled with them. Anyways we finally left Benin. Now was around 1pm. All was well until about 2km after the JW headquarters as I attempted to clear for the car's occupants to relieve themselves it pulled again. In the middle of nowhere under the hot sun. Worse my phone had no reception. I had to start begging any passing thing in any direction to take me to anywhere around where I could find a mechanic. Remember this was a Sunday. This was one of the adverse effects of travelling on a Sunday. The merits were the roads were free.

The bolded is the reason why the nut pulled out in the first place.

Due to our mechanics lack of reason they never follow manufacturer's recommendations or put back exactly what the removed.

The 1st mechanic to remove that nut must have removed a cotter pin there but for reasons best known to him, he didnt put it back. He knows the importance but never cares to put it back. If that pin was there, that pull out would have not occured. Yet you are here blaming Honda! What an irony.

Look at the pic below, how many cotter pins do you see (19, 20, 26). Go to the mechanic right now and see for your self how many are there? My guess will be non except for the one that was installed last. What about the nuts, am sure the recommended nut was not used.

4 Likes

Re: Chronicles Of My 5 Day Trip From Benin To Abuja With An 03 EOD by Nobody: 11:59am On Mar 17, 2018
adanny01:

The bolded is the reason why the nut pulled out in the first place.

Due to our mechanics lack of reason they never follow manufacturer's recommendations or put back exactly what the removed.

The 1st mechanic to remove that nut must have removed a cotter pin there but for reasons best known to him, he didnt put it back. He knows the importance but never cares to put it back. If that pin was there, that pull out would have not occured. Yet you are here blaming Honda! What an irony.

Look at the pic below, how many cotter pins do you see (19, 20, 26). Go to the mechanic right now and see for your self how many are there? My guess will be non except for the one that was installed last. What about the nuts, am sure the recommended nut was not used.

oga leave all that book learning. na we sabi do am. e no mean e go still work

95% of nigerian mechanics

2 Likes

Re: Chronicles Of My 5 Day Trip From Benin To Abuja With An 03 EOD by CofOLandOfPeace(m): 2:01pm On Mar 17, 2018
Funny whenever I read about Honda vehicles because I've also experienced this before.
Re: Chronicles Of My 5 Day Trip From Benin To Abuja With An 03 EOD by timifakay(m): 6:21pm On Mar 17, 2018
banky3w:
I did not see my mention...... Whoever is in charge should fix this thing before we have another Dancok on our hands oh cheesy
Timif.akay, Abeg get ready for work when next I show for area oh.... I no want make Kaduna to ibadan be 5 weeks trip oh. OP sorry joor........ Lemme save your name..... Ogbiwa wink

No wahala sir.
Re: Chronicles Of My 5 Day Trip From Benin To Abuja With An 03 EOD by diportivo: 6:49pm On Mar 17, 2018
pcwhiz:
all of you here actually faulting the OP, just pray your automobile never breaks down in the middle of no where. That's when you will know true frustration. Had an auto transmission problem on Kaduna-Abuja expressway on a car that was previously just service days prior to the journey. An aunt's tokunbo Rav4 engined knocked at abuja,a journey of kaduna to Akure.engine don knock for abuja. OP i feel your pain. God bless the strangers who came to your aid. Nigerians are actually the most nicest people.

that toks RAV4

I have a feeling cityhood sold it to ur aunt

cry

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chronicles Of My 5 Day Trip From Benin To Abuja With An 03 EOD by captainking(m): 7:14pm On Mar 17, 2018
ogbiwa:
Those asking why I would travel with a car with issues maybe you failed to see where I said it was the last option. Secondly the same car had done two long trips just a week prior to this without issues. A day to the trip I was at the mechanic to service and check for anything out of place. The overheating, which didn't even occur atall before the trip, was the main thing I asked them to check. They couldn't find anything wrong with the car's cooling system. I even almost wanted to change the fan to a 6 wire but they said no that the fan was functioning well. That was how careful I was to prevent any likely occurrence on the road. If you've use cars on Nigerian roads long distance you'll agree that it's not always about how many checks you did before the journey. Those are important though. But you'll find out even a brand new car with all the checks can develop faults on the road and sometimes without warning.
flushing your radiator might have saved you the over heating wahala
Re: Chronicles Of My 5 Day Trip From Benin To Abuja With An 03 EOD by captainking(m): 7:15pm On Mar 17, 2018
ogbiwa:
Those asking why I would travel with a car with issues maybe you failed to see where I said it was the last option. Secondly the same car had done two long trips just a week prior to this without issues. A day to the trip I was at the mechanic to service and check for anything out of place. The overheating, which didn't even occur atall before the trip, was the main thing I asked them to check. They couldn't find anything wrong with the car's cooling system. I even almost wanted to change the fan to a 6 wire but they said no that the fan was functioning well. That was how careful I was to prevent any likely occurrence on the road. If you've use cars on Nigerian roads long distance you'll agree that it's not always about how many checks you did before the journey. Those are important though. But you'll find out even a brand new car with all the checks can develop faults on the road and sometimes without warning.
flushing your radiator might have saved you the over heating wahala...
Re: Chronicles Of My 5 Day Trip From Benin To Abuja With An 03 EOD by diportivo: 9:08pm On Mar 17, 2018
captainking:
flushing your radiator might have saved you the over heating wahala

oshey

awon eyan FIJK flusher grin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chronicles Of My 5 Day Trip From Benin To Abuja With An 03 EOD by captainking(m): 10:13pm On Mar 17, 2018
diportivo:

oshey

awon eyan FIJK flusher grin

Hahahahah

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

HELP!!! Which Do I Choose?camry 2001 Or Pegeout 406 / Honda Accord “D” Light Blinking / 2006 - 20011 Honda Civic. Opinions Needed Pleeeeease

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.