Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,718 members, 7,816,962 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:18 PM

Acura MDX And Premium Fuel - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Acura MDX And Premium Fuel (6153 Views)

How Do I Solve The Problem Of Premium Fuel / Affordable Cars/regular And Premium Cars Lagos / Premium Fuel Required Cars. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Acura MDX And Premium Fuel by dcole73: 11:52pm On Mar 16, 2018
I would like to get genuine insights from Acura MDX (2002 to 2008) users in Nigeria about premium fuel usage.
Please how do you guys source your premium fuel as recommended by Acura? Do you use octane booster? What brand? At what ratio?

For those who don't, how do you get by, using regular fuel ?
Any observations on engine performance? Any catalyst faults?

Any further information would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Re: Acura MDX And Premium Fuel by dcole73: 11:41am On Apr 24, 2018
Ah ah!!

Nairalanders, ki lo sele?
Una dey vex to reply ni?
Abi una dey fear to reply?
Re: Acura MDX And Premium Fuel by dcole73: 2:30pm On Apr 24, 2018
Bump
Re: Acura MDX And Premium Fuel by dcole73: 2:33pm On Apr 24, 2018
Hello
Re: Acura MDX And Premium Fuel by Readonee35L(m): 3:24pm On Apr 24, 2018
You will have to live with regular fuel here in nigeria.

The low octane would have been manageable. But Our own low octane fuel is packed with dirts some of them might even be mixed.

First of all you will get poor gas mileage .
You might get misfires sometimes but your engine should adjust itself and work properly.
Your catalytic converters will die a premature death.

But your car will survive.
Before it completely dies. It will take years.

There are lots of benz, bentley , rolls royce , lambo e.t.c that run our fuel here. They will do just fine but engine Might get old and tired in a short time.

7 Likes

Re: Acura MDX And Premium Fuel by MotorGuru: 3:30pm On Apr 24, 2018
Readonee35L:
You will have to live with regular fuel here in nigeria.

The low octane would have been manageable. But Our own low octane fuel is packed with dirts some of them might even be mixed.

First of all you will get poor gas mileage .
You might get misfires sometimes but your engine should adjust itself and work properly.
Your catalytic converters will die a premature death.

But your car will survive.
Before it completely dies. It will take years.

There are lots of benz, bentley , rolls royce , lambo e.t.c that run our fuel here. They will do just fine but engine Might get old and tired in a short time.
I Totally agree with you.
Unfortunately low quality fuel will take a negative toll on your engine. Issues such as spark knock will be a common experience... Not too good for your catalytic converters.
A way of going around this is using octane boosters. But how long will you keep buying for every tank refill?

5 Likes

Re: Acura MDX And Premium Fuel by fleksy: 5:34pm On Apr 24, 2018
For all your car mechanical challenges....call me on 08025438389

I offer free consultation. I value helping people and providing solutions.that call would save you a lot cost-wise before repairs

I am based in Gbagada Lagos

2 Likes

Re: Acura MDX And Premium Fuel by dcole73: 9:30pm On Apr 24, 2018
Thanks Readonee35L and MotorGuru. You guys really hit on my worries.

First, octane booster. For how long? Which one can be trusted? Is it Abro?

Secondly, without booster, engine worries. One user told me he got his mechanic to open up and clean the engine once in two years. How realistic is this?
I'm don't think I would like to have my car's engine opened up that frequently.

But then, a lot of such vehicles are on the roads and they seem to be surviving. Hence my questions.

Thanks guys. I would probably settle for the regular unleaded for now.

@fleksy, noted. Thanks.
Re: Acura MDX And Premium Fuel by Readonee35L(m): 9:52pm On Apr 24, 2018
dcole73:
Thanks Readonee35L and MotorGuru. You guys really hit on my worries.

First, octane booster. For how long? Which one can be trusted? Is it Abro?

Secondly, without booster, engine worries. One user told me he got his mechanic to open up and clean the engine once in two years. How realistic is this?
I'm don't think I would like to have my car's engine opened up that frequently.

But then, a lot of such vehicles are on the roads and they seem to be surviving. Hence my questions.

Thanks guys. I would probably settle for the regular unleaded for now.

@fleksy, noted. Thanks.
Forget about octane boosters.

Just get the car.
The car has knock sensors. As long as you get good fuel you'd be fine.

4 Likes

Re: Acura MDX And Premium Fuel by dcole73: 10:12pm On Apr 24, 2018
Readonee35L:

Just get the car.

OK.
I will have to carefully pick the stations where I would fill up.
Noted.

2 Likes

Re: Acura MDX And Premium Fuel by makavele: 7:13pm On Apr 25, 2018
Readonee35L:

Just get the car.

sooperrescue will not like this grin grin grin

6 Likes

Re: Acura MDX And Premium Fuel by diportivo: 8:11pm On Apr 25, 2018
makavele:

he will come and lecture us now

let me get my biro and jotter ready

7 Likes

Re: Acura MDX And Premium Fuel by Readonee35L(m): 9:06pm On Apr 25, 2018
makavele:

He might not like it. He's entitled to his opinion.
Because i know he sells and talks about octane booster all the time for his customers.

Octane Booster on that mdx is same as Aja n sare . Owo n Jona.

Octane Booster can't do much with our fuel. If you think it will raise it close to 95 you just played your self .
Most octane boosters on the market don't deliver anything close to what they claim, they might prevent the onset of knock / pre ignition . but do not expect much from them .
Some of this octane boosters fúck up your seals or even injector

Theres no substitue for premium good Fuel. No amount of octane booster can do that.

7 Likes

Re: Acura MDX And Premium Fuel by makavele: 9:13pm On Apr 25, 2018
Readonee35L:

He might not like it. He's entitled to his opinion.
Because i know he sells and talks about octane booster all the time for his customers.

Octane Booster on that mdx is same as Aja n sare . Owo n Jona.

Octane Booster can't do much with our fuel. If you think it will raise it close to 95 you just played your self .
Most octane boosters on the market don't deliver anything close to what they claim, they might prevent the onset of knock / pre ignition . but do not expect much from them .
Some of this octane boosters fúck up your seals or even injector

Theres no substitue for premium good Fuel. No amount of octane booster can do that.

so are u saying make i kukuma dey fuel my Range Legedis Rover with normal fuel
and stop the octane boosters stuffs
Re: Acura MDX And Premium Fuel by ironheart(m): 9:16pm On Apr 25, 2018
You should be more worried about dirts in fuel and mixing of the fuel with fuel pump, seal, injector killers by black market sellers during fuel scarcity
Re: Acura MDX And Premium Fuel by Readonee35L(m): 9:29pm On Apr 25, 2018
makavele:

I never said that .
And i didnt advice you to use or not use .

You are educated.
Read online and understand your vehicle.
You'd be able to conclude if octane booster will help your legedis / Range.

My advice above was for the mdx .

Modern cars have knock sensors and ecu designed to rétard timing and perfomance just incase low octane fuels are used.
A vehicle ecu is not just there to power a vehicle. A lot of engineers worked on designing specific functions on that ecu which end users barely notice.
The engine can adjust to low octane fuel but longevity is not guaranteed because engine wear might be increased.

The major concern is getting Clean fuel with no dirts or mixture.
Use Good Engine Oils with the right viscosity recommended by the manufacturer. You'd be fine

Moral.
Always Use premium fuel on your premium cars but if it can't be gotten Regular Fuel can be used .

6 Likes

Re: Acura MDX And Premium Fuel by dcole73: 9:35pm On Apr 25, 2018
Readonee35L:

Most octane boosters on the market don't deliver anything close to what they claim, they might prevent the onset of knock / pre ignition . but do not expect much from them ..

Ninety what? Most struggle to reach 91.
A centre for such research carried out tests on some octane boosters. Only a few delivered what they claimed. The results of Abro and some others were appalling.

If I find the link to the results again, I will post here.
Re: Acura MDX And Premium Fuel by Readonee35L(m): 9:42pm On Apr 25, 2018
dcole73:

Ninety what? Most struggle to reach 91.
A centre for such research carried out tests on some octane boosters. Only a few delivered what they claimed. The results of Abro and some others were appalling.

If I find the link to the results again, I will post here.
I used 95 as a case study.
If you read my quote properly i said if you get anything close. You played yourself. smiley
Re: Acura MDX And Premium Fuel by dcole73: 9:44pm On Apr 25, 2018
makavele:

The idea is to get as much information as you can about your vehicle.
Then you have to answer the tough question.

"Are you willing to do all it takes to keep your range/legedis alive and active?
Can you handle it?"
That's a decision for you alone to make.

1 Like

Re: Acura MDX And Premium Fuel by dcole73: 9:46pm On Apr 25, 2018
Readonee35L:

I used 95 as a case study.
If you read my quote properly i said if you get anything close. You played yourself. smiley

Yeah I understood your initial comment clearly.
Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Acura MDX And Premium Fuel by sooperrescue(m): 4:50am On Apr 26, 2018
No wonder I could not sleep well. The octane booster is not made in Nigeria. 90% of this product is made in the US. I was contemplating producing mine in 2009 before I stumbled upon Johnsens and it was cheaper at that time. AMGs and Mseries uses a higher premium fuel different from the regular premium. Hence the need for octane boosters now came up. It is true that the knock sensor will adjust the engine timing but it will result to poor fuel economy and in the long run will damage your engine. The car manufacturers always warn that using low octane fuel will damage your engine. I have an MDX 2011 model that was given to us to transport to Abuja. The gear was defective and the owner commissioned us to change the gear before trucking it to Abuja. Since 2014 till date, the owner has been using octane boosters regularly and he confessed that. that car, apart from servicing, no issue whatsoever. Back to the question. Acura does not recommend premium, they say you must use it only. that means no alternative. The end result has always been numerous, Oxygen sensors, sluggishness, gear box failures and engine gasping for breath. Four years ago, MDX used to be everywhere, where are they now? Coupled with the use of wrong engine oil and fuel, how will they survive the stress in Nigeria? Have you ever seen an MDX on the road cruising like a Range Rover? They move on the road as if they are going to the next street and so they take life easy. Where are the VWs and the Nissans? Who owns an acura that has not changed the gearbox or engine before abandoning it? What is responsible for the sluggishness? Low octane fuel and the wrong oil. My octane booster works and works well. Your MDX is sluggish and consuming fuel and there is no other solution than to boost your fuel or you wait for Dangote to decide when he wants to commission his refinery.

7 Likes

Re: Acura MDX And Premium Fuel by diportivo: 7:11am On Apr 26, 2018
wa sere Baba octane booster

u no fall our hand as usual

ur head is there sir

OCB 103 on point.....altho na 1 unit course,but person no suppose fail am grin

9 Likes

Re: Acura MDX And Premium Fuel by sooperrescue(m): 7:17am On Apr 26, 2018
Thanks bros.

1 Like

Re: Acura MDX And Premium Fuel by Nobody: 7:44am On Apr 26, 2018
sooperrescue:
Thanks bros.
You have lectured us well. More blessings to you sir. grin

1 Like

Re: Acura MDX And Premium Fuel by makavele: 7:48am On Apr 26, 2018
. . . and no wonder he couldn't sleep grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Acura MDX And Premium Fuel by sooperrescue(m): 9:16am On Apr 26, 2018
makavele:
. . . and no wonder he couldn't sleep grin grin grin

Abi. I dey hear noise for my ear as if na mosquitoes dey do night shift, naim I check wetin dey happen to Dino and come see where una dey call my name.

dumo1:

You have lectured us well. More blessings to you sir. grin

Thanks bros

3 Likes

Re: Acura MDX And Premium Fuel by drpossibilities(m): 11:15am On May 26, 2019
sooperrescue:
No wonder I could not sleep well. The octane booster is not made in Nigeria. 90% of this product is made in the US. I was contemplating producing mine in 2009 before I stumbled upon Johnsens and it was cheaper at that time. AMGs and Mseries uses a higher premium fuel different from the regular premium. Hence the need for octane boosters now came up. It is true that the knock sensor will adjust the engine timing but it will result to poor fuel economy and in the long run will damage your engine. The car manufacturers always warn that using low octane fuel will damage your engine. I have an MDX 2011 model that was given to us to transport to Abuja. The gear was defective and the owner commissioned us to change the gear before trucking it to Abuja. Since 2014 till date, the owner has been using octane boosters regularly and he confessed that. that car, apart from servicing, no issue whatsoever. Back to the question. Acura does not recommend premium, they say you must use it only. that means no alternative. The end result has always been numerous, Oxygen sensors, sluggishness, gear box failures and engine gasping for breath. Four years ago, MDX used to be everywhere, where are they now? Coupled with the use of wrong engine oil and fuel, how will they survive the stress in Nigeria? Have you ever seen an MDX on the road cruising like a Range Rover? They move on the road as if they are going to the next street and so they take life easy. Where are the VWs and the Nissans? Who owns an acura that has not changed the gearbox or engine before abandoning it? What is responsible for the sluggishness? Low octane fuel and the wrong oil. My octane booster works and works well. Your MDX is sluggish and consuming fuel and there is no other solution than to boost your fuel or you wait for Dangote to decide when he wants to commission his refinery.

So what is the best brand of Octane Boosters one can use?
Re: Acura MDX And Premium Fuel by MobilityExpress: 11:22am On May 26, 2019
dcole73:
I would like to get genuine insights from Acura MDX (2002 to 2008) users in Nigeria about premium fuel usage.
Please how do you guys source your premium fuel as recommended by Acura? Do you use octane booster? What brand? At what ratio?

For those who don't, how do you get by, using regular fuel ?
Any observations on engine performance? Any catalyst faults?

Any further information would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Just buy fuel from Total or Oando with modern pumps, your car go dey alright las las grin

1 Like

Re: Acura MDX And Premium Fuel by MobilityExpress: 11:23am On May 26, 2019
drpossibilities:

So what is the best brand of Octane Boosters one can use?

Story, they don't work for the kind of octane level difference you need! Inconsequential. Google is your friend.

1 Like

Re: Acura MDX And Premium Fuel by walkbylight(m): 10:51am On Oct 24, 2020
well said..
can I have your number please..
that means I will not need to buy mdx?
Re: Acura MDX And Premium Fuel by 9icetoo(m): 1:53pm On Oct 24, 2020
walkbylight:
well said..
can I have your number please..
that means I will not need to buy mdx?
You can buy the mdx (08-09), (12-13).
The 2010 to 2011 mdx had issues with burning oil (usually about 1 liter every 1000km).
Other than that, it's a freakishly reliable car as long as you change your engine oil, transmission oil (gear box, centre differential and rear axle), coolant, power steering oil and brake fluids as recommended and with recommended fluids.
It will not tolerate bad fluids or wrong spec of fluids like other cars.
Also change the timing belt and water pump when due. Your maintenance minder will remind you of all these when they are due (assuming they have been done abroad or by previous owner when they were due before you took over).
I've been using mine for two years now. Never missed a bit. I had issues with the bad fuel initially but after a few rounds of johnsen and lucas octane booster and a home made octane booster, the pings are gone. I can now rev the shit out the engine when I feel like without the pings and I have not used octane boosters for about one year now.
Join the mdxers.org website if you end up buying one. You will get solutions to any problem you will ever encounter from there.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Acura MDX And Premium Fuel by powerblaze(m): 7:29am On Feb 21, 2022
9icetoo:

You can buy the mdx (08-09), (12-13).
The 2010 to 2011 mdx had issues with burning oil (usually about 1 liter every 1000km).
Other than that, it's a freakishly reliable car as long as you change your engine oil, transmission oil (gear box, centre differential and rear axle), coolant, power steering oil and brake fluids as recommended and with recommended fluids.
It will not tolerate bad fluids or wrong spec of fluids like other cars.
Also change the timing belt and water pump when due. Your maintenance minder will remind you of all these when they are due (assuming they have been done abroad or by previous owner when they were due before you took over).
I've been using mine for two years now. Never missed a bit. I had issues with the bad fuel initially but after a few rounds of johnsen and lucas octane booster and a home made octane booster, the pings are gone. I can now rev the shit out the engine when I feel like without the pings and I have not used octane boosters for about one year now.
Join the mdxers.org website if you end up buying one. You will get solutions to any problem you will ever encounter from there.

Can you share your homemade recipe?

(1) (2) (Reply)

..... Volvo xc90 the most Underrated SUV ever..... / FREE Automotive Programs Coming Soon To Carquest, Mr Transmission-Milex / Autologic offering world -class auto training

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.