Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,925 members, 7,817,711 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:44 PM

5 Car Noises You Should Not To Ignore - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 5 Car Noises You Should Not To Ignore (10340 Views)

5 Car Pricing Mistakes To Avoid In Car Dealership / 5 Car Parts Potholes Can Damage / Top 5 Car Accessories Every Nigerian Should Have In Their Cars At All Times. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Car Noises You Should Not To Ignore by AutoReportNG: 3:14am On Mar 17, 2018
There are some noises that should not be ignored in a car, a car is like a time bomb, once you ignore the warnings, you are in a serious trouble thereafter. These are 5 of the signs you should not ignore in your car.

Chirping or Squealing Sound From a Wheel While Driving

A cyclic chirping or squealing noise coming from the vicinity of a wheel often indicates a wheel bearing or axle bearing that is failing. Usually, the noise will change with the speed of the vehicle, and it may come and go at various speeds. This noise should not be ignored because if the bearing fails, it may cause the wheel to lock up or come loose from your car!

Don't confuse wheel bearing noise with scraping, groaning or creaking noises that may be coming from the brakes. During damp weather, moisture causes the brake pads to swell slightly. This may cause the pads to drag slightly, creating annoying groaning or creaking noises until the pads heat up and dry out.

A clicking noise from a front wheel that is only heard while turning usually indicates a bad outer constant velocity joint that is failing.

Metallic Scraping or Grinding Noise When Braking

Brakes sometimes make groaning or creaking noises when the pads are damp, and some types of brake pads (particularly semi-metallic pads) may squeal or squeak when they are cold. But as a rule, the brakes should be relatively quiet when they are applied. If you hear metallic scraping or grinding noises when braking, it probably means your brake pads are worn out and your vehicle needs a brake job now. Don't delay because worn brakes may not be able to stop you vehicle in a safe distance. In fact, if the brakes are that badly worn, there is a risk the friction material that's left on the pads may separate from the backing plate, possibly causing the brakes to fail. Metal-to-metal contact is also very damaging to the rotors.

Hissing Sound from Engine Compartment While Driving or After Driving

If you hear a hissing sound from the engine compartment while driving or after turning the engine off, it may mean your engine is overheating and/or leaking coolant from the cooling system. Check the temperature gauge or temperature warning light to see if it indicates an overheating condition. Do not continue driving (especially if you see steam) as severe overheating can damage your engine.

Stop your vehicle and carefully open the hood. Look for any evidence of coolant leaking from the engine, radiator, radiator or heater hoses. If you see steam or smell a sweet odor, it is antifreeze leaking from the cooling system. Do NOT open the radiator or coolant reservoir cap until the engine has cooled down, and do not add coolant until the engine has cooled.

Note: Adding coolant to a leaking cooling system won't accomplish much because the coolant will leak back out. Adding a can of cooling system sealers such as Bars Leak or a similar product may slow or stop a small leak, but a large leak, leaking water pump or hose will continue to leak even with sealer in the system. The leaky part needs to be replaced.

Clicking or Tapping Noise from Engine

Engines can produce a lot of noises, but a metallic tapping or clicking sound means your engine may be low on oil or is not developing normal oil pressure. The clicking noise is coming from the valvetrain. If oil pressure is low because of a low oil level in the crankcase or a problem with the oil pump, the hydraulic lifters that open and close the valves may collapse creating an increase in valve lash. This is the noise you hear, and it will be coming from the vicinity of the valve covers on top of the engine.

Stop the engine, let it sit a few minutes (so the oil can run back down into the crankcase), then check the oil level on the dipstick. If low, add oil as needed to bring the level back up to the full mark. Do not overfill the crankcase with oil. Also, check the engine for oil leaks. Old valve cover and pan gaskets, or leaky crankshaft end seals can allow oil to leak out of the engine.

If the noise does not go away, and/or the oil pressure gauge or warning light indicates low oil pressure, it's not a good idea to keep driving your vehicle. Loss of oil pressure can cause extensive and expensive engine damage.

Other engine sounds can also mean bad news. A deep metallic rapping noise can be caused by worn connecting rod bearings and may indicate your engine has reached the end of the road (or will soon!).

Exhaust Roar While Driving

If your exhaust system has a leak, you will hear exhaust noise coming from under your vehicle that is loudest when accelerating. The noise by itself won't hurt anything, but it does mean your exhaust system needs repairs (probably a new muffler or pipes). The dangerous part is if the leaking exhaust gases, which contain carbon monoxide, get inside the passenger compartment. Carbon monoxide (CO) is a silent killer. It takes only a small amount of carbon monoxide inside the passenger compartment to affect your alertness, ability to concentrate and react to changing driving conditions. As little as 0.08 percent carbon monoxide (that's only 800 parts per million) can cause dizziness, headaches, nausea, and bring on stupor in two hours. A one percent concentration of carbon monoxide can kill a person in less than three minutes!

You should have your exhaust system inspected and repaired as soon as possible, especially during cold weather when the windows are rolled up and the heater may be recirculating the air inside the passenger compartment. Exhaust components that typically leak include the exhaust manifold gaskets, cracks in the exhaust manifold, exhaust pipe connections, pipes that rust through, and mufflers that rust out.

Source:
http://www.autoreportng.com/2018/03/5-car-noises-you-should-not-to-ignore.html

Lalasticlala
Seun
Marpol
Mynd44

5 Likes

Re: 5 Car Noises You Should Not To Ignore by AutoReportNG: 3:14am On Mar 17, 2018
You can add more if you felt we left out some facts
Re: 5 Car Noises You Should Not To Ignore by Nutase: 6:11am On Mar 17, 2018
grin
Re: 5 Car Noises You Should Not To Ignore by cooldipo(m): 7:27am On Mar 17, 2018
Many cars makes all these noise altogether.....

It is almost like an unbearable symphony.... Anything that moves, my people will cruise or drive to get the job done! grin grin

2 Likes

Re: 5 Car Noises You Should Not To Ignore by Mutemenot(m): 7:35am On Mar 17, 2018
My steering pump is currently playing jazz. I hope it won't disgrace me unexpectedly
Re: 5 Car Noises You Should Not To Ignore by peripepe(m): 8:26am On Mar 17, 2018
'
Re: 5 Car Noises You Should Not To Ignore by klassykute(m): 9:42am On Mar 17, 2018
Yeah nice
Re: 5 Car Noises You Should Not To Ignore by klassykute(m): 9:43am On Mar 17, 2018
AutoReportNG:
You can add more if you felt we left out some facts
Oga it’s feel.
Re: 5 Car Noises You Should Not To Ignore by marcjoe(m): 11:39am On Mar 17, 2018
Point no 2 happened to me, i was travelling from ilorin to minna, and never knew my break pad Had worn out as I kept hearing some noise from the back left wheel, I believe my consistent using of the break on jebba-mokwa road finished up my break pad. And since I was a novice I never took it as anything. I kept on driving the vehicle and I got to minna, I still didnt take it serious. Then the worse happened, I had a break failure at night. I nearly hit an ongoing vehicle ahead thank God i was not on top speed. When this happened, I quickly hit my security button, I kept pressing my horn for other vehicles ahead to leave the way for me and I was just confused on what to do to stop the vehicle, I had to move the gearbox from drive to neutral based on what I have read online prior to that moment which I never tried using on a good day. My car started slowing down until I parked it completely beside the road using park on the gearbox to stop it. I then hit a friend up at minna if he can send his mechanic to me, he asked where I was which was the busy tunga road, he came around and told me that the area is not safe that I might come back the next morning and the real owners of the vehicle would take every part they can eaily remove. So we had to beg a transport company around by telling them we wish to park there till morning, I gave the security man 1k. My friend started my car and started driving it by using the leg break grin Which I never thought was useful. He drove it himself and parked it without any issue, his mechanic came around the next morning and they checked the back wheel and we saw that all the break oil already leaked out.. He worked on it and the car got back to normal... But a question pondered my mind, what if this break had failed at mokwa-bida road where I was driving at 100-140km/hr due to the smooth road.. cry .. I learnt my lessons and I would never ignore any noise in my vehicle ever again, I hope this post help someone out there..

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Car Noises You Should Not To Ignore by 3kay945(m): 4:03pm On Mar 17, 2018
That was how my front and back wheel bearing made noise like trapped rat few weeks ago. I used it for for three days with minimal speed for short distance.
Before ladipo guys juiced me dry.
Re: 5 Car Noises You Should Not To Ignore by fajob: 5:14pm On Mar 17, 2018
AutoReportNG:
There are some noises that should not be ignored in a car, a car is like a time bomb, once you ignore the warnings, you are in a serious trouble thereafter. These are 5 of the signs you should not ignore in your car.

Chirping or Squealing Sound From a Wheel While Driving

A cyclic chirping or squealing noise coming from the vicinity of a wheel often indicates a wheel bearing or axle bearing that is failing. Usually, the noise will change with the speed of the vehicle, and it may come and go at various speeds. This noise should not be ignored because if the bearing fails, it may cause the wheel to lock up or come loose from your car!

Don't confuse wheel bearing noise with scraping, groaning or creaking noises that may be coming from the brakes. During damp weather, moisture causes the brake pads to swell slightly. This may cause the pads to drag slightly, creating annoying groaning or creaking noises until the pads heat up and dry out.

A clicking noise from a front wheel that is only heard while turning usually indicates a bad outer constant velocity joint that is failing.

Metallic Scraping or Grinding Noise When Braking

Brakes sometimes make groaning or creaking noises when the pads are damp, and some types of brake pads (particularly semi-metallic pads) may squeal or squeak when they are cold. But as a rule, the brakes should be relatively quiet when they are applied. If you hear metallic scraping or grinding noises when braking, it probably means your brake pads are worn out and your vehicle needs a brake job now. Don't delay because worn brakes may not be able to stop you vehicle in a safe distance. In fact, if the brakes are that badly worn, there is a risk the friction material that's left on the pads may separate from the backing plate, possibly causing the brakes to fail. Metal-to-metal contact is also very damaging to the rotors.

Hissing Sound from Engine Compartment While Driving or After Driving

If you hear a hissing sound from the engine compartment while driving or after turning the engine off, it may mean your engine is overheating and/or leaking coolant from the cooling system. Check the temperature gauge or temperature warning light to see if it indicates an overheating condition. Do not continue driving (especially if you see steam) as severe overheating can damage your engine.

Stop your vehicle and carefully open the hood. Look for any evidence of coolant leaking from the engine, radiator, radiator or heater hoses. If you see steam or smell a sweet odor, it is antifreeze leaking from the cooling system. Do NOT open the radiator or coolant reservoir cap until the engine has cooled down, and do not add coolant until the engine has cooled.

Note: Adding coolant to a leaking cooling system won't accomplish much because the coolant will leak back out. Adding a can of cooling system sealers such as Bars Leak or a similar product may slow or stop a small leak, but a large leak, leaking water pump or hose will continue to leak even with sealer in the system. The leaky part needs to be replaced.

Clicking or Tapping Noise from Engine

Engines can produce a lot of noises, but a metallic tapping or clicking sound means your engine may be low on oil or is not developing normal oil pressure. The clicking noise is coming from the valvetrain. If oil pressure is low because of a low oil level in the crankcase or a problem with the oil pump, the hydraulic lifters that open and close the valves may collapse creating an increase in valve lash. This is the noise you hear, and it will be coming from the vicinity of the valve covers on top of the engine.

Stop the engine, let it sit a few minutes (so the oil can run back down into the crankcase), then check the oil level on the dipstick. If low, add oil as needed to bring the level back up to the full mark. Do not overfill the crankcase with oil. Also, check the engine for oil leaks. Old valve cover and pan gaskets, or leaky crankshaft end seals can allow oil to leak out of the engine.

If the noise does not go away, and/or the oil pressure gauge or warning light indicates low oil pressure, it's not a good idea to keep driving your vehicle. Loss of oil pressure can cause extensive and expensive engine damage.

Other engine sounds can also mean bad news. A deep metallic rapping noise can be caused by worn connecting rod bearings and may indicate your engine has reached the end of the road (or will soon!).

Exhaust Roar While Driving

If your exhaust system has a leak, you will hear exhaust noise coming from under your vehicle that is loudest when accelerating. The noise by itself won't hurt anything, but it does mean your exhaust system needs repairs (probably a new muffler or pipes). The dangerous part is if the leaking exhaust gases, which contain carbon monoxide, get inside the passenger compartment. Carbon monoxide (CO) is a silent killer. It takes only a small amount of carbon monoxide inside the passenger compartment to affect your alertness, ability to concentrate and react to changing driving conditions. As little as 0.08 percent carbon monoxide (that's only 800 parts per million) can cause dizziness, headaches, nausea, and bring on stupor in two hours. A one percent concentration of carbon monoxide can kill a person in less than three minutes!

You should have your exhaust system inspected and repaired as soon as possible, especially during cold weather when the windows are rolled up and the heater may be recirculating the air inside the passenger compartment. Exhaust components that typically leak include the exhaust manifold gaskets, cracks in the exhaust manifold, exhaust pipe connections, pipes that rust through, and mufflers that rust out.

Source:
http://www.autoreportng.com/2018/03/5-car-noises-you-should-not-to-ignore.html

Lalasticlala
Seun
Marpol
Mynd44

ok

(1) (Reply)

How To Unlock Your Car Stereo Radio FREE / Can I Replace Honda City Engine With Toyota Engine / Lagos To Zaria Road Trip (with Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.