Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,060 members, 7,818,174 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:29 AM

Re: Is Humility a Weakness or a Strenth? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Re: Is Humility a Weakness or a Strenth? (2193 Views)

Question; What Really Is Humility? Is It Real? / Ese Walters Lips Were Soft & Succulent,my Weakness Arose"-pastor Biodun / "Ese Walters Lips Were Soft & Succulent,my Weakness Arose-pastor Biodun Fatoyin" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Humility a Weakness or a Strenth? by falox(m): 2:04am On Mar 10, 2007
People say its weakness that makes one humble, how do u feel about that?
Re: Re: Is Humility a Weakness or a Strenth? by cuteass1(f): 2:17am On Mar 10, 2007
Tell those people its past their bed time and i think they should go and sleep . . . . .  .maybe when they wake up in the morning, their brains would be functioning more in the right direction

humility and weakness,twins?? what won't come up on nairaland

Humility is a virtue . . . ,  . weakness is a no no that can be corrected wink

Tell your people to go to the planet "venus" maybe the people there will benefit more from their made-up stories, if there's anyone in venus sef lol, . ,  . . . . well if not they can chat amongst themselves *sighs*
Re: Re: Is Humility a Weakness or a Strenth? by shahan(f): 12:28pm On Mar 10, 2007
Depends on who is defining what. For some, humility is plain stupidity; to others, it is a very strong virtue.

And the cousin-word 'weakness' has often suffered the same dichotomy of understanding and context. While one may see a weakness as unspiring, perhaps not many people realize that it is the key to greatness - so long as we understand its context:

II Cor. 12:9 - "And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me."

II Cor. 13:4 - "For though He was crucified through weakness, yet He liveth by the power of God. For we also are weak in Him, but we shall live with Him by the power of God toward you."

Heb. 11:34 - "Quenched the violence of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, out of weakness were made strong, waxed valiant in fight, turned to flight the armies of the aliens."
Re: Re: Is Humility a Weakness or a Strenth? by cuteass1(f): 1:29pm On Mar 10, 2007
My dear shahan,

i'm not sure i agree with you on everything.

Ofcourse i agree with everything you said about weakness but then the question was  asking if humilty is a weakness or strength. . . . . . . . . . .

the bible quoting you gave said: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. . . . . it didn't say for my strength is made perfect in humility

both are two different things and should not be compared. . . .  . . . a king for ex. dosen't necessarily have to be weak to be humble

Humility is a behaviour while weakness is an act wink

The bible also says that out of God's strength, we that are weak are made strong. . . . .  .but nowhere did it say that out of God's strength we are made humble

We are humble because we have the spirit of God in us wink
Re: Re: Is Humility a Weakness or a Strenth? by shahan(f): 4:46pm On Mar 10, 2007
@cute-ass,

Lol, it is such a grace to find people disagree with me in some of my views - and I can be thankful for the added insight you offered.

However, like I said earlier, it all depends on who is defining what; and in what context they are using the defined concepts.

I am persuaded that both humility, strength and weakness are character traits that define people's dispositions. In this sense, humility can be either a weakness or a strength. It all depends on the context in which it is being applied.

A humility that excludes boldness in the face of challenges is rather a weakness than a display of strength. For instance, a kindred word ('meekness') is used to describe Moses in Num. 12:3; and for all that, his boldness to face Pharaoh is a rare commodity among many today. I believe that Moses' humility/meekness was a "strength" rather than a weakness.

On the other hand, when humility is self-seeking and unresponsive, such a disposition is rather a weakness than strength. I believe that the Lord Jesus Christ left us a perfect example of humility in Matt. 11:29. Of course, we read of the boldness that is clearly marked throughout His earthly ministry as He challenged sin, hypocrisy and what today is known as 'political correctness'. For all of that, He was never self-seeking and went out for the good of others.

The point is, humility can be viewed either as a weakness of strength by whoever is using the concept.

Cheers. cheesy

(1) (Reply)

Women Wearing Trousers Will Go To Hell? / What Exactly Is It About Traditional Religion That We (YOU) Fear? / – Kemi Omololu-blasphemous Statement:Against “pastor Adeboye & Bishop Oyedepo ”

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.