Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,489 members, 7,823,135 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 03:40 AM

Nigeria to Europe through the desert-A true life story - Literature (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Nigeria to Europe through the desert-A true life story (129787 Views)

Nigeria to Europe through the desert-A true life story / Nigeria to Europe through the desert-A true life story / Showers Of Mercy - True Life Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria to Europe through the desert-A true life story by Sparkles003(f): 7:58am On Apr 01, 2018
[quote author=Nazeren post=66138646]Gaby, I'm your biggest fan. I've silently followed everything you posted on this topic and on the other thread but this past week has been frightfully busy for me to comment anything.

And...I'm disappointed.

Why you created this thread, I'll never know. Leave these petty things, would you? You should be writing a book. You're bigger than the things you do on here...even a blog! If only you'll believe in yourself, that you can and don't need anyone's validation. I've read how you hope someone will happen upon your story and "help". Why do you think you need to be discovered to discover yourself? You want to wait for that, really? Ok, we'll wait together. Or take the bull by the horn?

Gaby, you will write a book like Chimamanda has written and published. Though I do not like to compare you two. I think you are better, will do better. Your story content is stronger, heart wrenching, grittily realistic and will shake the powers that be.

You're a genuine talent and sharing this experience would be a form of release for you, a means of expressing things that have been pent up inside for many years. The world would know the horror, despair, hopelessness endured by almost half our people who have taken on this same distressing path as you.

Focus your time on putting together a manuscript reflecting your childhood and the life you've known in the desert. Your character would be typical of thousands who have struggled to survive in that death trap you once knew. Those words will write themselves, I assure you.

You may write under a pseudonym but whether or not you do, you'll be a sensation anyway. You'll take the world by storm and be the chief topic of conversation in all quarters. I dare say your story'll be a remarkable piece.

It's a very bigger picture on the other side.
[/quote
Gbam.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria to Europe through the desert-A true life story by gaby(m): 7:59am On Apr 01, 2018
ba7man:
The 2nd one is more in line with the story.

The title is too long, would have preferred something short and very catchy.........with a little clarification underneath.

E.g. CHASING A MIRAGE it doesn't have to be this, just this short simple format.

Copied and taken to heart..considerable

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria to Europe through the desert-A true life story by gaby(m): 8:00am On Apr 01, 2018
ba7man:
The 2nd one is more in line with the story.

The title is too long, would have preferred something short and very catchy.........with a little clarification underneath.

E.g. CHASING A MIRAGE it doesn't have to be this, just this short simple format.

Copied and taken to heart..considerable...thought the words..( europe,africas deserts) will make for a nice key word..still on the finals though

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria to Europe through the desert-A true life story by Sparkles003(f): 8:03am On Apr 01, 2018
First cover catchy but only after a second glance.
Second cover,matured and certain to get more audience.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria to Europe through the desert-A true life story by humilitypays(m): 8:14am On Apr 01, 2018
gaby:

Sure brother..thanks
what help do you really nees with this your story in case I can help out.

I once participated in Commonwealth Short Story Competition in 2008/09 and my story was about trekking to europe. I didnt have the experience but I wrote the short story based on stories I heard from some of my elder brother's friends who took the route back then.

i was among the best 20 finalist, but missed out on the final selected 6 winners or so...who went to Switzerland to present their story at world bank conference and won prices worth close to 5000 pounds then. and their writing career kicked off from then.

what am i trying to say if i had half of your true life experience on that topic, i would have won that competition for sure.

so stop waiting and act now....pen down your story chronologically and organise it well. be real and try to remember most of the intriguing events then and believe me, it will sell.

it might not sell on Amazon cos Oyimbo no like such stories, they prefer how to do things kind of ebooks...but it will make a nice documentary or movie or full novel. do something asap.

i wish u the best. it is unfortunate we had stupid leaders even till date...yet some useless youths still support Buhari and co who destroyed and still destroying their future to better that of their family.

shame on all Nigerian youths cry

11 Likes

Re: Nigeria to Europe through the desert-A true life story by gaby(m): 8:19am On Apr 01, 2018
humilitypays:
what help do you really nees with this your story in case I can help out.

I once participated in Commonwealth Short Story Competition in 2008/09 and my story was about trekking to europe. I didnt have the experience but I wrote the short story based on stories I heard from some of my elder brother's friends who took the route back then.

i was among the best 20 finalist, but missed out on the final selected 6 winners or so...who went to Switzerland to present their story at world bank conference and won prices worth close to 5000 pounds then. and their writing career kicked off from then.

what am i trying to say if i had half of your true life experience on that topic, i would have won that competition for sure.

so stop waiting and act now....pen down your story chronologically and organise it well. be real and try to remember most of the intriguing events then and believe me, it will sell.

it might not sell on Amazon cos Oyimbo no like such stories, they prefer how to do things kind of ebooks...but it will make a nice documentary or movie or full novel. do something asap.

i wish u the best. it is unfortunate we had stupid leaders even till date...yet some useless youths still support Buhari and co who destroyed and still destroying their future to better that of their family.

shame on all Nigerian youths cry

Much thanks bro..i've penned it all down chronologically (editing) and trust me when i say it'll be worth the read..it captures my life from as early as age two,how my academics took a south turn and i eventually dropped out of school and ventured out of the country until my return back to motherland.

Decided on amazon for lack of a better alternative.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria to Europe through the desert-A true life story by Sparkle777(f): 8:20am On Apr 01, 2018
Wow,front page.
There's something about the first picture that makes you want to be on the guys side. He seems to be alone yet insistent on the perilous journey, i kinda connect with that. Unless we can get another picture of him but this time facing the Sahara sand dunes.
Freebiez, pls come.
Just a thought,anyways.
Thumbs up,Gaby, ur story is going to be a hit.

11 Likes

Re: Nigeria to Europe through the desert-A true life story by gaby(m): 8:21am On Apr 01, 2018
Sparkle777:
Wow,front page.
There's something about the first picture that makes you want to be on the guys side. He seems to be alone yet insistent on the perilous journey, i kinda connect with that. Unless we can get another picture of him but this time facing the Sahara sand dunes.
Freebiez, pls come.
Just a thought,anyways.

Thanks Sparks

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria to Europe through the desert-A true life story by humilitypays(m): 8:26am On Apr 01, 2018
gaby:

Much thanks bro..i've penned it all down chronologically (editing) and trust me when i say it'll be worth the read..it captures my life from as early as age two,how my academics took a south turn and i eventually dropped out of school and ventured out of the country until my return back to motherland.

Amazon might not sell if u want to make it amazon kindle....but hard copy will sell more.

another advice, do a hard copy in Nigeria too and also use lulu.com or amazon to do a hard copy for intl market, stories like this sell faster as hard copy than as soft copy ebook.

how to do things, how to make money, etc topics are what sell faster in electronic formats on amazon and the likes unless u are a known author or let me say, u are white with white like subject
Re: Nigeria to Europe through the desert-A true life story by Raintaker(m): 8:26am On Apr 01, 2018
gaby:

I tell u say make u use okadabooks.
You may have issues selling on amazon

1 Like

Re: Nigeria to Europe through the desert-A true life story by gaby(m): 8:28am On Apr 01, 2018
Raintaker:

I tell u say make u use okadabooks.
You may have issues selling on amazon

Really?? Will look it up...thanks

1 Like

Re: Nigeria to Europe through the desert-A true life story by gaby(m): 8:30am On Apr 01, 2018
humilitypays:
Amazon might not sell if u want to make it amazon kindle....but hard copy will sell more.

another advice, do a hard copy in Nigeria too and also use lulu.com or amazon to do a hard copy for intl market, stories like this sell faster as hard copy than as soft copy ebook.

how to do things, how to make money, etc topics are what sell faster in electronic formats on amazon and the likes unless u are a known author or let me say, u are white with white like subject

Beautiful insights..mucho gracias

1 Like

Re: Nigeria to Europe through the desert-A true life story by gaby(m): 8:36am On Apr 01, 2018
humilitypays:

Beautiful insights..mucho gracias

Piracy ,unauthorised duplication and distribution issues gets me confused i must confess.

This book might just be good to inculcate into our educational curricular at the primary and secondary level to serve as an eye opener to our coming generations on the risks associated with ignorant adventures as this and the quest for quick money..

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria to Europe through the desert-A true life story by Dindondin(m): 8:39am On Apr 01, 2018
Mr Gaby, are you continuing with Nairaland updates of this story or not?

Some people v opened your eyes and you v shifted to Amazon or other paying sites abi?

Anyways, you v the right to earn millions on this story. It's your hustle.

Unlike you, I didn't travel out of Nigeria nor pass through the desert. My true life experience is the battle of an original African polygamous home. I m still writing it down. I ll publish soon.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria to Europe through the desert-A true life story by gaby(m): 8:40am On Apr 01, 2018
Dindondin:
Mr Gaby, are you continuing with Nairaland updates of this story or not?

Some people v opened your eyes and you v shifted to Amazon or other paying sites abi?

Anyways, you v the right to earn millions on thus story. It's your hustle.

Unlike you, I didn't travel out of Nigeria nor pass through the desert. My true life experience is the battle of an original African polygamous home. I m still writing it down. I ll publish soon.

Success on your story bro..

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria to Europe through the desert-A true life story by patrickmuf(m): 8:51am On Apr 01, 2018
Made for a captivating read, I'd be best produced as a movie...
Try reaching out to some Nollywood producer.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria to Europe through the desert-A true life story by gaby(m): 8:52am On Apr 01, 2018
patrickmuf:
Made for a captivating read, I'd be best produced as a movie...
Try reaching out to some Nollywood producer.

Cool...thanks

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria to Europe through the desert-A true life story by lobell: 9:07am On Apr 01, 2018
gaby:

Thanks bro.Wouldn't have a story to tell if i had left those out so sure they are right there.

Being the subject of the narrative and having read and reread ,if i could nod in affirmation or go all suspended on my own story i'm pretty confident my readers will be wowed.
It came out as fine as i would want,witty and humorously entertaining yet very suspense filled and a story almost everyone of us can relate to as Africans Nay Nigerians.Thats what reality brings to the table i suppose.

I'm looking at self publishing on amazon but the little snag is Amazon will be withholding 60% of the book earnings in taxes and their share as Nigeria has got no tax treaty with the US.

I can actually handle this but thought to be sure to have exhausted every other options before proceeding,so incase you or anyone have an idea for an alternative route to pursue i'd love to be guided.

In the absence of any suggestions tomorrow at the latest i'll go ahead and publish on Amazon

Regards mate

Yep, Amazon is the way to go. Createspace for hard copies and Kindle for e-copies.

But then there should be a distribution channel for hard copies in Nigeria as well. A solution could be having guys here pay into an account with the money in escrow, you then order the books, ten, twenty copies at a time, from Amazon's Createspace and deliver to the buyers yourself and get your money from the escrow service.

Make contact, if you need any clarification and for the escrow service of course.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria to Europe through the desert-A true life story by lobell: 9:08am On Apr 01, 2018
gaby:
My proposed title :
Seeking Europe through Africa's deserts-The perils,triumph and Karma
A true life story
Can we see what the cover design looks like?
Re: Nigeria to Europe through the desert-A true life story by gaby(m): 9:12am On Apr 01, 2018
lobell:

Yep, Amazon is the way to go. Createspace for hard copies and Kindle for e-copies.

But then there should be a distribution channel for hard copies in Nigeria as well. A solution could be having guys here pay into an account with the money in escrow, you then order the books, ten, twenty copies at a time, from Amazon's Createspace and deliver to the buyers yourself and get your money from the escrow service.

Make contact, if you need any clarification and for the escrow service of course.

Much thanks. A sample cover was dropped a page or two behind..check it out,critique and suggest..

will definitely contact you...my digit is on profile incase for whatsapp

1 Like

Re: Nigeria to Europe through the desert-A true life story by lobell: 9:13am On Apr 01, 2018
Freebiez:

Covers.
Please vote.

::
Like this? Would you like to get one of your own?
::
Hello. I design ebook covers for Kindle for only one hundred naira #100 (NEW CUSTOMERS ONLY). PM me or check my signature.

Payment can be made through any of the following:
•Bank transfer.
•Airtime credit. VTU and pin
•Payoneer
•Skrill
•Neteller
•Perfect Money
•Bitcoin or any crypto currency of any kind.

If you're interested, my email is in my signature.
If you would like to see my portfolio, shoot me an email. If you want to chat on WhatsApp, shoot me a email in my personal text.

You can also quote me.

Always happy to serve.

I like the first one too but it does not capture the deserts in the title.

The second lacks details.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria to Europe through the desert-A true life story by gaby(m): 9:16am On Apr 01, 2018
lobell:

I like the first one too but it does not capture the deserts in the title.

True word...the second does justice to it..might just need to work on the fonts etc

Thanks
Re: Nigeria to Europe through the desert-A true life story by lobell: 9:18am On Apr 01, 2018
Sparkle777:
Wow,front page.
Freebiez, pls come.
Just a thought,anyways.

Stay out of my head!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria to Europe through the desert-A true life story by gaby(m): 9:20am On Apr 01, 2018
lobell:

Stay out of my head!

grin grin grin

Telepathy at its best

1 Like

Re: Nigeria to Europe through the desert-A true life story by Sparkle777(f): 9:26am On Apr 01, 2018
lobell:

Stay out of my head!

OMG, you're already thinking same. Thank God,somebody gets me. I like you already. cheesy
Re: Nigeria to Europe through the desert-A true life story by lobell: 9:30am On Apr 01, 2018
Sparkle777:

OMG, you're already thinking same. Thank God,somebody gets me. I like you already. cheesy

Hahaha.

The water can be replaced by sand. Less green, more browns and reds...maybe a map of North Africa/Southern Europe.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria to Europe through the desert-A true life story by Sparkle777(f): 9:35am On Apr 01, 2018
lobell:

Hahaha.

The water can be replaced by sand. Less green, more browns and reds...maybe a map of North Africa/Southern Europe.

Exactly...
But a map?? Enlighten me better cos I was thinking that would be an overload or congestive.
Re: Nigeria to Europe through the desert-A true life story by gaby(m): 9:37am On Apr 01, 2018
I'd feel more satisfaction and fulfilment when this book finally gets out there to reach my class of '99 on the route and everyone mentioned in the book.I'm not ignorant to the fact that i might be getting some sticks and outright bashings though for being such a "talkative" or get my case revisited but trust me i've taken more in my short life and can deal with all,this story needed to be told.

At least there'd be corroborations,laughters and joys seeing one of them finally took the "bull" to share all we went through together.

I can only imagine how many of us have been living and struggling with the scars and indelible memories...

Pheewww

Thanks to you my triple nairaland F's (Fam,friends and followers) for all the supports and constant push to tell my story and to Seun Osewa for this stage.

Not forgetting my 'greatest' Nazarene,Sparky,dexcira and all others too numerous to mention.

Love and appreciate y'all

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria to Europe through the desert-A true life story by Realestatepro(m): 9:46am On Apr 01, 2018
Continue the good work Gabby. while posting to amazon etc, don't forget to be feeding us on Nairaland.
Re: Nigeria to Europe through the desert-A true life story by gaby(m): 9:47am On Apr 01, 2018
Realestatepro:
Continue the good work Gabby.
while posting to amazon etc, don't forget to be feeding us on Nairaland.

Thanks bro
Re: Nigeria to Europe through the desert-A true life story by ba7man(m): 9:57am On Apr 01, 2018
gaby:

Copied and taken to heart..considerable...thought the words..( europe,africas deserts) will make for a nice key word..still on the finals though
All the best bruv.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria to Europe through the desert-A true life story by gaby(m): 9:58am On Apr 01, 2018
ba7man:
All the best bruv.

One love man..

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (23) (Reply)

The Enemy Within - A Tale Of Love, Lust And Betrayal / Authors On Okadabooks Drop Your Book Info Here / A Night That Destroyed Me.....sex Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.