Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,980 members, 7,817,888 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:05 PM

UCH Ibadan Labelled Death Trap After Lady Died Due To Alleged Negligence - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / UCH Ibadan Labelled Death Trap After Lady Died Due To Alleged Negligence (37964 Views)

MRI Machine At UCH Ibadan Is Not Working. Patients Suffering. / Lady Died During Sex Romp With Boyfriend Who Took Drugs In Kwara / Lady Died After Her Husband Refused To Allow Doctors Take Out Her Ruptured Womb (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UCH Ibadan Labelled Death Trap After Lady Died Due To Alleged Negligence by bahaushe1: 7:13am On Mar 20, 2018
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

We were not told what was actually wrong with the girl.

But its' obvious Amala just cost her her life.
I wish the eating of Amala and Ewedu in hospitals could be banned.

She won't have died if the cashier ate something light,
Like abacha and ugba.

Heart failure. She was a heart failure patient.
Re: UCH Ibadan Labelled Death Trap After Lady Died Due To Alleged Negligence by ogunjobiolaide: 7:27am On Mar 20, 2018
Oluwaseun rest in peace, am once in a situation that took me to UCH that was in 2013. My wife was abt to deliver our baby, on getting to adeoyo hospital at round 4am, we met couple of nurses who asked for money for registration rather than saving a life. After we paid for the registration, one of the nurse went to another building to call a doctor, a young doctor dat look sleepy look at my wife n said took her to UCH, i did not even bother to make any statement because she was in pain.
I quickly d driver to took us to UCH, on getting there, the nurses arround quickly attend to us by taken my wife to mini hall, after some minutes a young came, he look at my wife and said i need to deposit #150,000 before he could do anything, at that moment I was confussed but I could remember then i was begging him to please save her life but this young doctor persist, when i started ranting and this force one of the nurse to called another professor who gave a directive to commence treatment on my wife, at that point she had lost alot of blood, we lost d baby but my wife makes it.If not for that call by the nurse that good for nothing young doctor could have change the story, that professor that gave that directive may the almighty protect his life and that of his family, for that young doctor he is just one of those shameless doctor that don't care.
Although the deed had already been done, but if only a doctor or nurse took that I care attitute.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: UCH Ibadan Labelled Death Trap After Lady Died Due To Alleged Negligence by bahaushe1: 7:29am On Mar 20, 2018
Losing a love one is always tragic. May God comfort the family.

I hope the hospital and the staff involved will come up with their own version of what transpired.

And for the op, I think the right thing to do is to report the incidence to appropriate authorities.
Re: UCH Ibadan Labelled Death Trap After Lady Died Due To Alleged Negligence by kunletexs: 7:31am On Mar 20, 2018
the other day a woman showed the malfunction breathing apparatus given to her dying son (now late), some commentators came up and said when she saw it why didnt she take him from there to another hospital? again the same commentators i am expecting to come here and say same. but the truth most be told, let us put ourselves into the shoes of these people who have gone to this length and seen the disaster in our health system and you do need to watch what you type before giving suggestion.

sorry for your loss and nigeria is not meant to have been born as it is very clear we are still in the incubator of the british colonial masters. ....sorry in their dumpster
Re: UCH Ibadan Labelled Death Trap After Lady Died Due To Alleged Negligence by DrGabbi(m): 10:39am On Mar 20, 2018
ultron12345:
He is very silly, why blame doctors and staff for lack of equipment, or is it doctors that are to provide defribillators and ACs. He sounds like a pained and frustrated soul whose childhood dreams to become a doctor were crushed by JAMB. That's why he has shifted d government responsibility to the doctors, just to give them a bad name and pour out his frustrations, my advice to him, he should pick next years JAMB form and study hard.

Very nice submission you made here. However, you shouldn't have told a grieving person what you just did. Alot is wrong with our healthcare system and to some extent the public knows. I don't really know if the doctor said he has to eat before attending to a critical patient but you and I know know that patients don't get the best care from healthcare professionals in Nigeria. I'm a doctor and I know what obtains. You can can't really blame them, can you? Poor motivation, poor working conditions and all.

Back to the matter on ground, Nigerians should understand that the government does not have the capacity to solely fund all our public hospitals. It's only in Nigeria that you see a hospital that doesn't make up to N20million a month, but will be paying salaries and expenses of N300million a month. It can never work. Nigerians must pay the real cost of healthcare, either indirectly by high taxes, or directly to the hospital or by insurance. When this is done, there will be enough money to fund the hospitals adequately. This also applies to the education sector and several other sectors.

Quality healthcare is expensive, Nigerians have to choose between cheap but low quality healthcare or high quality but expensive healthcare.
Re: UCH Ibadan Labelled Death Trap After Lady Died Due To Alleged Negligence by Nobody: 1:58pm On Mar 20, 2018
bobochem:
paying taxes is not the issue but selfishness and lack of empathy is our main problem in Africa.If you use all our salary as tax in dis country it will still get embezzle.Imagine a senator earning millions per month for duing nothing.Doctor and some other civil servants are earning meager income per month.African are too greedy.

So we should not pay taxes because some Big Man will embezzle the money...and expect public services funding to come from where?

Plus...corruption happens because you Nigerians have turned it into a game of 'my tribe is being persecuted'....limiting govt's hand in prosecuting the thing.

I think you guys want govt to take another loan from IMF be that. Well...he that puts his hand in chains...
Re: UCH Ibadan Labelled Death Trap After Lady Died Due To Alleged Negligence by bobochem: 2:34pm On Mar 20, 2018
Cromcruach91:

So we should not pay taxes because some Big Man will embezzle the money...and expect public services funding to come from where?

Plus...corruption happens because you Nigerians have turned it into a game of 'my tribe is being persecuted'....limiting govt's hand in prosecuting the thing.

I think you guys want govt to take another loan from IMF be that. Well...he that puts his hand in chains...
Many Nigerians are opportunist. Many believe if there have d opportunity to be in power they have to find means to rake in our common wealth.Meaning it is there own time to make it in live.And,the system is not helping matter at all to curtail the menace of corruption among our political elites rather the system continue encouraging the act of corruption. So my broda paying tax is not d issue but our corrupt self is the zenith problem will are facing in Nigeria and Africa.African are not contempt with what they have.They want to have more houses,more cars,and they are doing this at the detriment of there fellow African.My bro,please what happened to NHIS fund(health insurance fund).The federal govt cannot give account of the found.The taxes I have been paying is being used to pay senators and honorables for duin nothing.The present minister of health indicted the NHiS boss for misappropriating the nhis fund.Your president acquitted him of all the charges leveled against the nhis boss. Nigeria is too bless to be poor.Our natural resources is enough to take care of all our needs.You only level high taxes to the citizens when you have limited resources. My bro paying tax is not the issue.
Re: UCH Ibadan Labelled Death Trap After Lady Died Due To Alleged Negligence by Tunks2017(m): 3:44pm On Mar 20, 2018
angry angry
The doctors and nurses in general hospitals are insignificant, heartless and worthless piece of coal.......

Re: UCH Ibadan Labelled Death Trap After Lady Died Due To Alleged Negligence by MaziOmenuko: 12:42pm On Mar 22, 2018
Cromcruach91:

Yes, I agree (I am not the poster you responded to)...the docs should have been more caring...but what could they have done in this case.?

Perform a magic trick and magically make the equipment needed appear from the sky?

That defibrillator mentioned...it is very very important in the management of that case. But as I am talking to you now...MOST tertiary hospitals in Nigeria don't have defibrillator....and if they have them...it is in the ICU unit...for ICU patients only.

That is why his point about adequate equipping of our hospitals...and there not being enough money for them....is vital. You do not give what you don't have.

Just incase...you didn't make much sense either. Hospitals are run by Chief MD's and I am sure they present their budget yearly. The ministry of health is manned by an MD as well and I am sure he presents his budget yearly. There is no excuse for poorly equipped medical hospitals especially teaching hospitals. There is no year that health budget does not eat the chunk of our national budget, coupled with the aids they get from Unicef and WHO. Its either doctors are bad managers and can't run the health sector in which case I will suggest that they hands off running the healthcare sector and focus on giving care to the patients.

What would you say if we appoint an administrator to run the hospitals and to be a health minister?
Re: UCH Ibadan Labelled Death Trap After Lady Died Due To Alleged Negligence by Nobody: 12:46pm On Mar 22, 2018
MaziOmenuko:

Just incase...you didn't make much sense either. Hospitals are run by Chief MD's and I am sure they present their budget yearly. The ministry of health is manned by an MD as well and I am sure he presents his budget yearly. There is no excuse for poorly equipped medical hospitals especially teaching hospitals. There is no year that health budget does not eat the chunk of our national budget, coupled with the aids they get from Unicef and WHO. Its either doctors are bad managers and can't run the health sector in which case I will suggest that they hands off running the healthcare sector and focus on giving care to the patients.

What would you say if we appoint an administrator to run the hospitals and to be a health minister?

Lemme tell you something....

The budget for most Nigerian hospitals is not enough to adequately equip them...and most of it would be spent on salaries, overheads, etc.

OAUTH's budget a few years ago was 11 billion naira. Sounds like a lot...until you compare it with the Mass General Hospital in the USA which has a budget of $750million for research.

Thing is, we need money to fund our hospitals adequately...and the amount needed cannot be catered for by our budget.

And yes...I compared Nigeria with USA...because you Nigerians want USA level of care at Nigerian cost. Not possible.
Re: UCH Ibadan Labelled Death Trap After Lady Died Due To Alleged Negligence by MaziOmenuko: 2:19pm On Mar 22, 2018
Cromcruach91:

Lemme tell you something....

The budget for most Nigerian hospitals is not enough to adequately equip them...and most of it would be spent on salaries, overheads, etc.

OAUTH's budget a few years ago was 11 billion naira. Sounds like a lot...until you compare it with the Mass General Hospital in the USA which has a budget of $750million for research.

Thing is, we need money to fund our hospitals adequately...and the amount needed cannot be catered for by our budget.

And yes...I compared Nigeria with USA...because you Nigerians want USA level of care at Nigerian cost. Not possible.

Once again, you didn't make much sense. Read my post again, who prepared the N11bil budget of OAUTH? Wasn't it the chief MD that did? Why will he prepare an N11bil budget when the hospital would need more than that? Is the chief MD not a medical doctor? Is the minister of health not a medical doctor? Why are they preparing budget that will not tackle the rot in the medical sector? You are not making much sense.

I know of a Federal Medical Centre whose MD is working wonders. He is revamping the place and getting state of the art equipment. They are now doing kidney transplant courtesy of the effort he put in in training his doctors in US and buying equipment for it. He has Servicom stationed in almost all the wards of the hospital and no health worker dare mess up; be it a doctor, nurse, cleaner or attendant.

My point is that running a hospital efficiently is a function of the Chief MD. If he decides to enrich himself like the Nigerian politicians, he would do so. If he is determined to equip the hospital, he would also do it dilligently.
Re: UCH Ibadan Labelled Death Trap After Lady Died Due To Alleged Negligence by mediclife1987(m): 6:32pm On Mar 22, 2018
lotusbeta:
As with most government bodies, the staff of public hospitals seem to have seen and heard it all and never can get to move their bodies quick enough to save lives. I wonder if there are comparative statistics to determine how many patients are lost and saved so their shortcomings would be laid before them...but that is asking for too much aint it? RIP to the dead.

Work in the office and OUT of the office, singly or as a team. Microsoft Office 365 is easy to use, cost efficient and can be tailored to meet your specific needs. Talk to us today at Lotus Beta Analytics Nig Ltd.

Can we talk better on Telegram? Here's my contact @IchibanMD
Re: UCH Ibadan Labelled Death Trap After Lady Died Due To Alleged Negligence by mediclife1987(m): 6:47pm On Mar 22, 2018
famzynet:
My dear sorry for your loss. I found myself in your shoes about 3 weeks ago when I had to rush my relation to Nnewi teaching hospital,Anambra state. The truth is that there is nothing like emergency care in Nigerian teaching hospitals. Just pray that your case doesn't become emergency because if it does,your case is at God's mercy. The delay in accident and emergency is just sad. The protocol is much. Before one would stand in queue to make payment,a lot may go wrong. What is our national health insurance doing? NHIS is meant to cover for every citizen that presents as emergency so that the health workers can start attending to people who present in emergency without payment. But in Nigeria, the government nurse will ask you to go and pay for folder,you will stand in queue to buy every single thing the doctor needs to attend to your relation. Within 8hours , four people died in my presence while we were at the accident and emergency. Oxygen cylinders were limited for some who needed them. A doctor waits for ages before he gets result of tests that will enable him treat patient. How can acdident and emergency not have a functioning defibrillator for someone with cardiac arrest? When someone is about to die the doctors just come and press the chest. No Ambubag to resuscitate or give air. My relation had a stroke and would have benefited from one drug called "Alteplase" from what the CT scan doctor told us as he presented very early. Do you know that Nigerian teaching hospital does not have this drug that could have saved a stroke patient? I put a call to a doctor friend abroad and he was surprise how accident unit would not have such important drug used for heart attack and stroke patient. I lost my relation in the hospital.The Nigerian system has failed us. Our government don't care since they have the money to travel abroad. I pity people who shout "Sai Buhari" . Just pray you or your relation don't end in such condition where your life would have been saved if we have sane government. Our past leaders have also failed us. The doctors complained of being understaffed. It took the doctor more than 45 mins before he showed when my relation was eventually gasping to die. By the time he came,my relation had passed out. He said he was the only doctor covering two wards or so.

Our lawyers should also sit up. Doctors , nurses and teaching hospitals should be sued for medical negligence. A patient has much right abroad but in Niheria,health workers see themselves like god. I know our hospitals are under equipped but if lawyers should start sueing,maybe these government hospitals will sit up as pressure will be on the government to do what they ought to do.

You just contradicted yourself bro. You agreed that the doctors are shortstaffed yet you said the lawyers should sue them. So when they sue the already shortstaffed doctors and those ones too lose their jobs as a result of the shortage, you believe that will solve the problem right? You believe the fewer docs we'll have remaining, by ensuring the sack of the already overworked and frustrated doctors will bring the much needed solution to the dilapidated health sector?

The problem with we Nigerians is we prefer pointing fingers at those we're bold enough to point at and not those who actually deserve the blame. You just said it that a single doctor was covering 2wards and yet you want the lawyers to sack doctors for that instead of telling your government to sit up. It's no wonder Rotimi Amaechi said: "we continue to steal because you don't stone us for it". You'll rather prefer to direct your stones to the poor & hapless doctor who's already frustrated as you and everyone else due to myriads of issues in the sector and is even seriously planning to leave the country ASAP.

Someone has said the rate at which doctors are running out of Nigeria to every imaginable country in the planet: Uganda, The Gambia, Kenya, Ghana and even Somalia talk less of South Africa,Tanzania, UK, US, Canada etc; we might have only Dr Sid and Small Doctor to attend to patients.

3years ago I still had so much passion working in Nigeria despite my relatives abroad warning me to port ASAP, now I regret not taking such actions earlier then. Thank God it's not too late. Ask every doctor you see in Nigeria now, everyone is planning to run away. Even medical students still in school are already writing the exams from their 200Level and will only do their Housemanship once they graduate before they also dissappear.

It's really a pity Nigerians will NEVER blame their leaders but will always take delight in bashing their doctors. It's fun now but the consequence will only make the health sector in Nigeria look like Arsenal, where they train competent doctors for other serious nations who know what they want and what they're doing to get it to simply scoop our doctors Nigerians love to point fingers at so much and bash and bring glory to their nation's health sector.

We'll see how funny it is then.

A word is enough for the wise.
Re: UCH Ibadan Labelled Death Trap After Lady Died Due To Alleged Negligence by mediclife1987(m): 6:59pm On Mar 22, 2018
pweshboi:
Hmm... That is the norm in most hospitals in Nigeria. Very pathetic... I'm sure most deaths are due to negligence by these nurses and doctors.

Someone who has probably never spent a day working in a hospital uses the phrase "I'm sure" in a sentence.

That's Nigerians for you, "magically smart" beings who know your job more than you the professional.

It is well.
Re: UCH Ibadan Labelled Death Trap After Lady Died Due To Alleged Negligence by mediclife1987(m): 7:02pm On Mar 22, 2018
PDPGuy:
Nigeria’s hospital system is in absolute shambles. Everyone of the hospital staff whose negligence, was a proximate cause of the patient’s death, would have been sued or prosecuted if it happened in a more civilized clime.

Moreover, the fact that a hospital lacks oxygen warrants sober reflection on the so-called “learned” people who run the facility.

They should kuku sue everybody then and let's not have anyone working in the hospital. That should make the empty hospital sit up now? Abi?
Re: UCH Ibadan Labelled Death Trap After Lady Died Due To Alleged Negligence by mediclife1987(m): 7:04pm On Mar 22, 2018
qmd24:
Very unfortunate.
RIP to the departed soul.

I wish you and the family had the resources to provide and pay for quality and excellent healthcare required to save her. It is actually available but only to the rich who are mostly the corrupt leaders and their family members.

The real conversation and anger should be directed to these looters who stole the money meant for healthcare services over the years but have enough resources to seek standard care available in some private hospitals and abroad.

UCH is not a death trap as you have put it,but not it is nothing to write home about. It is a reflection of the decaying society we have created and permitted.

Government should equip the hospitals, citizens should be ready to pay for quality healthcare they desire and deserve as it's done elsewhere,then, we can hold the health workers responsible.

Revolution of the health sector should start with value and respect for life. Dignity of life is nonexistent in Nigeria. Life expectancy is 40 in Nigeria even for the UCH workers. I strongly condemn the attitude of the staff .

RIP Seun

Fantastic statement at bolded, but trust Nigerians to rather do the reverse. They'll prefer to beat the doctor to death thinking that'll will make the government sit up.
Re: UCH Ibadan Labelled Death Trap After Lady Died Due To Alleged Negligence by mediclife1987(m): 7:10pm On Mar 22, 2018
GODAKPAN:
So unfortunate that she died. Truth is Nigeria is not working from the top to the bottom. I guess the bereaved didn't ask those nurses when they were paid last. We all are aware the the number one clinic that treats the president is empty then how can you trust the life of your love ones to other govt hospitals. If I ask now which party their entire family voted people will think am heartless, nothing is too small every action has equal an opposite reaction. It was still in this country that people that were slaughtered by Fulani were climbing billboards to hail sai baba, and the killings continue, how am I sure that those killed after his visit were not part of the climbers. I have refused to feel pity as most of our problems are direct product of our actions. Once again, Nigeria is not working. Make it work from 2019.

My brother, Nigerians will NEVER hear word. They'll rather prefer to die and blame others for their death.
Re: UCH Ibadan Labelled Death Trap After Lady Died Due To Alleged Negligence by mediclife1987(m): 7:19pm On Mar 22, 2018
SKYQUEST:

lack of equipment is also responsible for the doctors's and staff coldness to the emergency of the patient abi?, remember what comes around goes around ooo

Patients always have a way they expect doctors to behave probably due to them watching too much Nollywood and African magic but in reality, a doctor needs all the focus he can muster to do his job, he's not there to smile or cry with you, he's there to save a live.

Doctors are only meant to have Empathy not Sympathy otherwise the doc will join you in wailing just like everyone else instead of being composed and focused to be able to effecrively treat the patient. However the Empathy is what will get him focused to give his best shot in saving a live.

There are so many behind the scene reasons for doctors' actions but when we're in a country like this that hate their doctors with so much passion, it's a waste of precious time explaining anything. And one might ask why doctors are hated, they'll tell you it's their god-complex, but you can't blame a doctor for not foolishly believing in one ridiculous miracle or for having a good self esteem and not feeling inferior. You can't blame us for that!

There are millions of Nigerians UCH would have saved but they'll never come here to share a testimony, they'll rather argue their hospital bills vehemently with the hospital, or even abscond completely without paying, only to go and give ALL the glory & thanks to the God of their Pastor or Imam. They'll also even pay tithes as well from the money the doctor who toiled & suffered was meant to be paid. But when issues like this come up, you'll see them compose a literature about how Nigerian Doctors are useless.

Let's continue fooling ourselves oh, we'll see where it lands us.

1 Like

Re: UCH Ibadan Labelled Death Trap After Lady Died Due To Alleged Negligence by pweshboi(m): 8:45pm On Mar 22, 2018
mediclife1987:

Someone who has probably never spent a day working in a hospital uses the phrase "I'm sure" in a sentence.

That's Nigerians for you, "magically smart" beings who know your job more than you the professional.

It is well.
Before you start with the inconsequential rants... I've experienced negligence by doctors and nurses at various hospitals. Me using the phrase 'im sure' is because I don't have a fact or statistics to prove the cause of most deaths. I'm sure if you read the sentence very well maybe close to 3 times you will understand what I was trying to say which is actually not far from the truth. Have a good night
Re: UCH Ibadan Labelled Death Trap After Lady Died Due To Alleged Negligence by mediclife1987(m): 9:07pm On Mar 22, 2018
pweshboi:

Before you start with the inconsequential rants... I've experienced negligence by doctors and nurses at various hospitals. Me using the phrase 'im sure' is because I don't have a fact or statistics to prove the cause of most deaths. I'm sure if you read the sentence very well maybe close to 3 times you will understand what I was trying to say which is actually not far from the truth. Have a good night

It's either you don't know the meaning of the phrase "I'm sure" or something else.

You just used it again even in this reply of yours. Anyway I'm not here to drag myself down to your exchange of deregatory words, it's a waste of time arguing with Nigerians, you'll only debase yourself the more and worsen your IQ.

All the best!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

She Hid Her Hiv Status From Her Hubby For 5yrs / 10 List Of STD's And Symptoms We May Or May Not Know / 14-Year-Old Pregnant Girl Commits Suicide In Nasarawa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.