Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,748 members, 7,955,859 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 05:13 PM

Old Photos Of Finnish Witches And Magic Rituals - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Old Photos Of Finnish Witches And Magic Rituals (4444 Views)

Nigerian Man Criticises Madonna University, Shares Photos Of The University / University Of Zambia To Train Students In Witchcraft, To Start With 20 Witches / Nude Photos Of UNILAG English Professor Who Molests Female Students Leaked! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Old Photos Of Finnish Witches And Magic Rituals by revontuli(f): 10:17pm On Mar 19, 2018
Finland has not always been so prosperous and developed.
Abject poverty is not so far in the past. People still remember.
Finland used to be one of Europe's poorest countries. There used to be starvation deaths every year before the country became industrialized.
Several times, big chunks of the population starved to death after crop failures.
Rural folk used to be highly superstitious and went to traditional healers and witches cause they had no doctors and hospitals.
Their magic and witchcraft traditions didn't involve any violent acts. It was mostly chants and non-violent offerings based on shamanism.

Photo: Grandmother Lasanen treating an illness caused by the spirits (1917)

7 Likes

Re: Old Photos Of Finnish Witches And Magic Rituals by revontuli(f): 10:20pm On Mar 19, 2018
Serafia Vehkamäki making traditional old wives' medicine (Kyyjärvi, 1956)
This is not so far away in the past.
Finnish peasant women wore modesty headscarves back then.

4 Likes

Re: Old Photos Of Finnish Witches And Magic Rituals by revontuli(f): 10:22pm On Mar 19, 2018
Otto Jääskeläinen treating an illness caused by the spirits (Maaninka, 1927)

3 Likes

Re: Old Photos Of Finnish Witches And Magic Rituals by Gebbson007(m): 10:33pm On Mar 19, 2018
uhn.....
Re: Old Photos Of Finnish Witches And Magic Rituals by pweshboi(m): 12:18am On Mar 20, 2018
Nah him our own witches dey suck blood like zobo for here... Make Dem use an for better inventions Dem go dey wear rags up and down. NONSENSE

9 Likes

Re: Old Photos Of Finnish Witches And Magic Rituals by giftedheart1(m): 12:40am On Mar 20, 2018
Benin ppl needs to learn here.

1 Like

Re: Old Photos Of Finnish Witches And Magic Rituals by pweshdodo(m): 1:31am On Mar 20, 2018
No no FP no
It mustn't make it o
Re: Old Photos Of Finnish Witches And Magic Rituals by noblealuu: 3:45am On Mar 20, 2018
And now they have evolved to a more better country and even one of the best places to live in the world.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Old Photos Of Finnish Witches And Magic Rituals by lenghtinny(m): 4:55am On Mar 20, 2018
The difference is clear angry
If you know, you know
Re: Old Photos Of Finnish Witches And Magic Rituals by GavelSlam: 5:03am On Mar 20, 2018
Abandon religion and superstition and see your nation prosper.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Old Photos Of Finnish Witches And Magic Rituals by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:39am On Mar 20, 2018
White witches!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Old Photos Of Finnish Witches And Magic Rituals by Samusu(m): 6:31am On Mar 20, 2018
Hmmm, not funny
Re: Old Photos Of Finnish Witches And Magic Rituals by festwiz(m): 6:39am On Mar 20, 2018
In Nigeria, this is thriving business. This photos go to prove how far back in the past Nigeria is and how much time may pass before we begin to fill our ignorance, stupidity and religious bigotry with common sense.
Re: Old Photos Of Finnish Witches And Magic Rituals by Sabiboii17(m): 9:03am On Mar 20, 2018
Jaaskelainen!!!........that reminds me of a goalie sometimes ago

1 Like

Re: Old Photos Of Finnish Witches And Magic Rituals by BanevsJoker(m): 9:57am On Mar 20, 2018
Sabiboii17:
Jaaskelainen!!!........that reminds me of a goalie sometimes ago
Jussi

1 Like

Re: Old Photos Of Finnish Witches And Magic Rituals by kissenger: 12:02pm On Mar 20, 2018
Abeg you pple shpuld drag Benin pple of Nigerian into this post. Kilode? Benin Republic is huge on black magic too.--->>http:///2hCWqL8
Re: Old Photos Of Finnish Witches And Magic Rituals by Mayydayy(m): 1:18pm On Mar 20, 2018
.At a time,we were all gatherers and hunters.Domestication of crops and animals was alien to us.we were all crude and primitive.Both black and white. But the human race progressed. The human race moved on.became super intelligent and technologically productive.The human race moved on without Africa.
They left us behind. cry
Re: Old Photos Of Finnish Witches And Magic Rituals by Follygunners: 5:36pm On Mar 20, 2018
I can concur to this... My ex-gf has a Finnish-Danish ancestral background and her grandpa was actually born in Finland. He told me of the hardship he endured growing up. undecided
He even told me how they had to cut a big chunk of ice off a frozen lake or river just to preserve their foods cuz they can't afford refrigerator et al.. All they did was simply improvise their way thru life on a daily basis.

1 Like

Re: Old Photos Of Finnish Witches And Magic Rituals by HausaOverlord: 9:06pm On Mar 20, 2018
GavelSlam:
shey dem the idiats go gree hear word

1 Like

Re: Old Photos Of Finnish Witches And Magic Rituals by HajimeSaito(m): 9:25pm On Mar 20, 2018
GavelSlam:

Religion and superstition are two different things.
Re: Old Photos Of Finnish Witches And Magic Rituals by GavelSlam: 9:30pm On Mar 20, 2018
HajimeSaito:

Religion and superstition are two different things.

Which religion isn't based on superstition?
Re: Old Photos Of Finnish Witches And Magic Rituals by talk2hb1(m): 9:38pm On Mar 20, 2018
Noted
Re: Old Photos Of Finnish Witches And Magic Rituals by HajimeSaito(m): 9:59pm On Mar 20, 2018
GavelSlam:

Which religion isn't based on superstition?

A real religion will always have a strong moral ethic underpinning it.

Superstition on the other hand is usually devoid of any moral considerations.
Re: Old Photos Of Finnish Witches And Magic Rituals by Draxy(m): 10:06pm On Mar 20, 2018
Make una check out here for d coolest stuffs and place your order. Prices are negiotable https://jijing/sellerpage-2032655 no think am ..abdg put the dot after d jiji make e for.gree go
Re: Old Photos Of Finnish Witches And Magic Rituals by revontuli(f): 12:15am On Mar 21, 2018
Follygunners:
I can concur to this... My ex-gf has a Finnish-Danish ancestral background and her grandpa was actually born in Finland. He told me of the hardship he endured growing up. undecided
He even told me how they had to cut a big chunk of ice off a frozen lake or river just to preserve their foods cuz they can't afford refrigerator et al.. All they did was simply improvise their way thru life on a daily basis.

There used to be a time where there were starvation deaths every year. People still remember the poverty from the previous generation, so they live a humble lifestyle. It's a shameful act to show off any wealth. You can see how poor they were in classic paintings and old photos, they are full of starved peasants with ragged, tattered clothes and sad faces.
You heard the first hand account from the guy that lived it.

Here is a very good study of the impoverished past of Finland and how they got out of it and developed: https://jyx.jyu.fi/dspace/bitstream/handle/123456789/49598/978-951-39-6627-0_vaitos13052016.pdf?sequence=1

Finland was once really, really poor and full of superstition. There is the folklore legend of supernatural evil spirits that live in the wilderness. They don't step into cultivated land. Even the atheist types won't go to the forests at night. There are no predators, no deadly snakes, nothing that can hurt you, but if it's dark, people will not step in there even with super bright flashlights. They will go anywhere in the city/civilized land in absolute pitch dark, but not into the bush.
Even though the bush is safer than the city.
I'm inclined to think it's the shadow of old superstitions.

2 Likes

Re: Old Photos Of Finnish Witches And Magic Rituals by Follygunners: 1:38am On Mar 21, 2018
revontuli:

There used to be a time where there were starvation deaths every year. People still remember the poverty from the previous generation, so they live a humble lifestyle. It's a shameful act to show off any wealth. You can see how poor they were in classic paintings and old photos, they are full of starved peasants with ragged, tattered clothes and sad faces.
You heard the first hand account from the guy that lived it.

Here is a very good study of the impoverished past of Finland and how they got out of it and developed: https://jyx.jyu.fi/dspace/bitstream/handle/123456789/49598/978-951-39-6627-0_vaitos13052016.pdf?sequence=1

Finland was once really, really poor and full of superstition. There is the folklore legend of supernatural evil spirits that live in the wilderness. They don't step into cultivated land. Even the atheist types won't go to the forests at night. There are no predators, no deadly snakes, nothing that can hurt you, but if it's dark, people will not step in there even with super bright flashlights. They will go anywhere in the city/civilized land in absolute pitch dark, but not into the bush.
Even though the bush is safer than the city.
I'm inclined to think it's the shadow of old superstitions.

You're right. Majority of medieval Europe were like that. They believed in witchcraft and wizardry which led to thousands of innocent folks death as they execute any suspected act of witchcraft or the likes.

The funny thing is this was like >500yrs ago and we in Africa are still stuck in those times. undecided

(1) (Reply)

What I Saw In National Open University. / How Much Is University Fees? / Which Is Correct; 'change' Or 'balance'?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.