Stats: 3,194,109 members, 7,953,398 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 03:31 PM

The Last In The Butterfly Series - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Last In The Butterfly Series (410 Views)

The Black Butterfly . / Once Upon A Butterfly (2) (3) (4)

The Last In The Butterfly Series by OGBENIIFE: 2:39pm On Mar 20, 2018
THE LAST IN THE BUTTERFLY SERIES

That time in secondary school we were welcomed with some certain telltales or maybe fairy tales. This sparked fear in most of us and in the mind, survival was basically hinged on Psalms 91 etal. Adesida Adegboyega and Urona Patrick would recall the very many times that we had to put our bibles under our pillows as a shield from the enemy- the devil himself-whose agent was rumoured to always be on patrol within the environment.

We almost saw the devil one-on-one. We knew his residence, he was always hidden in the iroko tree behind the ‘Technical’ hostel.

As time progresses, the coming of our Lord became clearer. We saw not only mental pictures, we saw real-life appearances. Femi had at some point seen the son of man preparing to descend from heaven during one of our evening devotions. Not only that, the ‘second coming’ formed the basis for most of brother Segun’s prophesies.

The butterfly group was then the most prestigious and influential group on campus. The reason cannot be far-fetched, the progenitor of the group, Brother Segun was then the Senior Prefect of our school. Many joined out of curiosity. They cannot be blamed, butterfly group was becoming popular and you cannot but want to know what was happening within the fold. Adesida Gboyega had joined and he seemed to be enjoining the communion of the saints. So, myself, out of the dying need to belong, joined the butterfly group.

I was given the prestigious sticker, which I hung with pride in my desk. I would usually fling my desk open in deliberate attempt to reveal the butterfly sticker. I later heard that some ladies became butterfly members. To be a butterfly member, you should naturally (or otherwise) love butterflies. We are to appreciate their specie.

We had many vigils where we had revelations. During these vigils, we try as much as possible to conquer the devil and his agents. We then wrestled not against flesh and blood but with principalities.

By the time Brother Segun graduated, it would seem like his legacy would be sustained by his successor, Brother Gbemi. Alas! Some years later, things gradually fell apart in a way that the fate of the butterfly group became redefined, it could not hold any longer. We of course became the very first and last set of the butterfly series.

IFEOLUWA ORIMOLOYE

A collection of memoirs
©2018

What Mentoring Has Taught Me / Na Determination Dey Make Okada Overtake Trailer / Anger

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8