Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,822 members, 7,810,159 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:03 PM

Jimoh Khairat Emerged 3rd Position In The Commonwealth Writing Contest - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Jimoh Khairat Emerged 3rd Position In The Commonwealth Writing Contest (19792 Views)

Jimoh Ibrahim Establishes Fortune University In Igbotako, Ondo State / School Gives Goat As Prize For First Position In A Primary School / Rasheed Jimoh-Ijaodola, Muslim Professor Bags PhD In Christian Studies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jimoh Khairat Emerged 3rd Position In The Commonwealth Writing Contest by dejt4u(m): 6:53pm On Mar 22, 2018
A 13-year old Nigerian from Dependable International School, Niger State, Jimoh Khairat Onize has emerged as the second runner up of the British Council Writing Competition.

Her story titled "Unity and Faith, Peace and Progress" was judged to be the third best among the numerous entries received worldwide in the 11-14 year old category in the Commonwealth Class Children’s Short Story Writing Competition.

The judges commented "This is a tragic story about war, but with a hopeful ending. It contains an important message about young peoples’ voices being heard, and moments of detail create a strong sense of place and atmosphere.

"Your entry is currently being professionally illustrated and will be uploaded to Schools Online on Thursday 16th February. Your certificate will be sent to you as soon as the certificates have been produced.

Congratulations once again!

With best wishes

Elaine"

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jimoh Khairat Emerged 3rd Position In The Commonwealth Writing Contest by dejt4u(m): 6:53pm On Mar 22, 2018
Re: Jimoh Khairat Emerged 3rd Position In The Commonwealth Writing Contest by dejt4u(m): 6:54pm On Mar 22, 2018
Her Story

Justice is blind.

The scourge of poverty has taken away the days of bumper harvest, days when I had surplus to eat. My stomach rumbles like rocks rolling down a volcano about to erupt: the repulsive smell from smouldering corpses for breakfast, wild fruits for lunch and putrid trash scavenged for dinner. The poison arrows of separation, parents from children. Poor orphans like me seek protection in the rainforest of southern Nigeria as the only dwelling place. The ruckus from nearby villages gives me no certitude of life for the morrow. This forced escapade only brings unrestricted imaginations of the future: a united and peaceful Nigeria.

As if the moon wishes to keep me alive, she shines faithfully every night. Split! Splash! Through the unpaved roads march the militants with eerie eyes preying for 'Nigerians'; half of a yellow sun, the flag they bear. The bright sunset yellow now crimson - tainted with the blemish of bloodshed. Innocuous boys given weapons, used as scapegoats of war; vehemently holding guns, eager to chase all but their kin, the agitating militants of the south seeks to create a new country, to avenge for 'their' dying flora and fauna while the northern insurgents, armed with more sophisticated guns, supported by a flight of aircraft to capture their southern brothers, killing them or less likely, imprisoning them.

Children in cotton pants running home at dusk, leaving behind tracks on the sandy pathways; dancing to the staccato rhythm from the women pounding Akpu, a staple dish in Africa. Older girls with earthenware pots filled with stream water on neatly plaited hair, the clamorous noise at market places conventionally filled the air; wriggling fishes clustered in the fishermen's nets, their species endemic to this delta... those were the peaceful days.

The day came when I saw my best friend, Ella, lying down lifeless under a banana tree, bereft, I risked all I had left - my life. I waded through the mud barefooted, towards the direction of the non indulgent militants; the sound from marching boots led the way. A hefty grip held me and I was blindfolded, presented to their leader - a man at the brink of old age - whom I saw after the blindfold was removed... “I'd die anyway, although it's worse than not trying”, I'd thought, so I began to speak, “Enough blood has been shed already, Nigeria is ours and we cannot disintegrate her, dialogue is paramount to ensuring a realistic victory for our cause, until you realise, united we stand, divided we fall, until then, peace or annihilation.” To my greatest surprise he believed me! Surrendering but not defeated, the southern activists decided to annul the idea of disintegration.

As I stand before a crowd united at heart, having done for my country, something heroic. Peace henceforth even forever.

Khairat Jimoh attends Dependable International School, Nigeria

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Jimoh Khairat Emerged 3rd Position In The Commonwealth Writing Contest by dejt4u(m): 7:03pm On Mar 22, 2018
another Chimamanda Adichie in the making. congrats girl

CC sicker000

8 Likes

Re: Jimoh Khairat Emerged 3rd Position In The Commonwealth Writing Contest by Nobody: 7:05pm On Mar 22, 2018
I must commend this.

1 Like

Re: Jimoh Khairat Emerged 3rd Position In The Commonwealth Writing Contest by dejt4u(m): 7:09pm On Mar 22, 2018
TarOrfeek:
I must commend this.
yes.. she really deserve the victory. congrats to the young girl. she had made Nigeria proud
Re: Jimoh Khairat Emerged 3rd Position In The Commonwealth Writing Contest by Talktoyoulater(f): 7:45pm On Mar 22, 2018
cool
Congratulations baby girl,we are proud of u.

3 Likes

Re: Jimoh Khairat Emerged 3rd Position In The Commonwealth Writing Contest by piagetskinner(m): 7:46pm On Mar 22, 2018
nice one..go girl!
Re: Jimoh Khairat Emerged 3rd Position In The Commonwealth Writing Contest by onyekachigreat: 7:47pm On Mar 22, 2018
good one
Re: Jimoh Khairat Emerged 3rd Position In The Commonwealth Writing Contest by alsudaes1(m): 7:47pm On Mar 22, 2018
Congratulations to her
Re: Jimoh Khairat Emerged 3rd Position In The Commonwealth Writing Contest by donphilopus: 7:47pm On Mar 22, 2018
Bad news for NCAN Southwest and Southeast chapter. Going by the name, Onize; she's either from Ebira in Kogi State or Igarra (my hometown), Edo State.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jimoh Khairat Emerged 3rd Position In The Commonwealth Writing Contest by scobyhybrid(m): 7:47pm On Mar 22, 2018
this is the kind of news Nigeria's need right now

1 Like

Re: Jimoh Khairat Emerged 3rd Position In The Commonwealth Writing Contest by olaskul(m): 7:48pm On Mar 22, 2018
Bravo....
Re: Jimoh Khairat Emerged 3rd Position In The Commonwealth Writing Contest by inoki247: 7:49pm On Mar 22, 2018
Na she write d dapchi stage play. Thanks for the story....

8 Likes

Re: Jimoh Khairat Emerged 3rd Position In The Commonwealth Writing Contest by Nobody: 7:51pm On Mar 22, 2018
I guess some credit should be given to Nairaland then.. undecided
Re: Jimoh Khairat Emerged 3rd Position In The Commonwealth Writing Contest by ZombieTAMER: 7:51pm On Mar 22, 2018
Nice one

Though the hijab come spoil everything..
Is she a future shekau secretary? undecided

4 Likes

Re: Jimoh Khairat Emerged 3rd Position In The Commonwealth Writing Contest by adaoshi(m): 7:52pm On Mar 22, 2018
How many years dem say she b

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jimoh Khairat Emerged 3rd Position In The Commonwealth Writing Contest by holutee(m): 7:52pm On Mar 22, 2018
34578965865438654 MTN (500)

45433778833678887 Airtel (400)

87690040031111568 Glo (500)

6313234567700077 Etisalat (200)

That's How I'll Be Sending you Guys Card When I Become A Billionaire.....

Just Pray 4 Me!!!! Thank U!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jimoh Khairat Emerged 3rd Position In The Commonwealth Writing Contest by ZombieTAMER: 7:53pm On Mar 22, 2018
donphilopus:
Bad news for NCAN Southwest and Southeast chapter. Going by the name, Onize; she's either from Ebira in Kogi State or Igarra (my hometown), Edo State.

When did you return from Italy
Welcome back
It's been long though

8 Likes

Re: Jimoh Khairat Emerged 3rd Position In The Commonwealth Writing Contest by Spar7tan(m): 7:53pm On Mar 22, 2018
What a wonderful piece from her. She's made us proud.
Re: Jimoh Khairat Emerged 3rd Position In The Commonwealth Writing Contest by jnfoage: 7:55pm On Mar 22, 2018
donphilopus:
She is Ebira, comfirmed. That name "onize" means a wealth owner in ebira language.

4 Likes

Re: Jimoh Khairat Emerged 3rd Position In The Commonwealth Writing Contest by jodavid(m): 7:55pm On Mar 22, 2018
grin

1 Like

Re: Jimoh Khairat Emerged 3rd Position In The Commonwealth Writing Contest by Cmyname(m): 7:58pm On Mar 22, 2018
donphilopus:

Someone cannot enjoy a post on this forum again.

2 Likes

Re: Jimoh Khairat Emerged 3rd Position In The Commonwealth Writing Contest by DaddyKross: 7:59pm On Mar 22, 2018
Nice one. I'm proud of her
Re: Jimoh Khairat Emerged 3rd Position In The Commonwealth Writing Contest by MissRaine69(f): 7:59pm On Mar 22, 2018
I hope no one and nothing kills her spirit.
Re: Jimoh Khairat Emerged 3rd Position In The Commonwealth Writing Contest by Befairinjudging: 8:01pm On Mar 22, 2018
Good girl
Re: Jimoh Khairat Emerged 3rd Position In The Commonwealth Writing Contest by michelKalib(m): 8:01pm On Mar 22, 2018
following
Re: Jimoh Khairat Emerged 3rd Position In The Commonwealth Writing Contest by veacea: 8:02pm On Mar 22, 2018
Hmm

(1) (2) (Reply)

Non-academic Students On The Rise In Nigerian Universities- NTA / Unn Primary List Is Out / Professor Okechukwu Ezeugwu Emerges As UNN New VC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.