Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,369 members, 7,957,998 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 07:08 AM

Face Recognition - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Face Recognition (766 Views)

Fire Roasts Family Of Seven Beyond Recognition In Benue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Face Recognition by manmustwac(m): 11:08am On May 04, 2010
I listened to this program on BBC World Service called ''The Psycology of Face Recognition'' Its about people who can't recognise faces. A woman was looking at a reflection of herself at a bus stop and didn't even recognize that it was herself until the reflection moved. Another woman answered her door didn't know that the child at the front door was her child until she mentioned her name Helen.

This is the program incase any of you want to listen to it       

It just reminded me of an incident that happened about 20 years ago when i was young. My mother had returned from nursery with my 3 year old bros. She rang the doorbell i opened the door and immediately i saw my bros and said to my mother ''mummy this is not efe'' She looked at him and realized that it was not him. It turned out she had picked my bros from his nursery school and entered a shop {on the way home} which was less than five minutes walk from our house to buy something and somehow managed to come out of the shop with a boy with similar bushy hair a similair face and a coat that look like my young bros own who happened to be in the shop at the same time.

This is the program http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/p007bf7z

Anyway there was no panic because {just like i expected} about 3 minutes later a young woman with a big smile on her face rang our doorbell with our efe. She must,ve been tailing my mother.

[size=16pt]can you imagine a mother who can't even recognise her own child![/size]

Have any of you guys had any similar experiences?
Re: Face Recognition by Sissy3(f): 12:58am On May 05, 2010
haven't had any experience its sad though that a mother cant recognize her child
Re: Face Recognition by iice(f): 4:39am On May 05, 2010
Hmmm sad.
Though i must say i'm shitty with recognizing people only because a person has to make an impression for them to even register in my mind. Otherwise i'll just pass you like i've never seen you. But i would think the bond between a mother and child should provide some safety net undecided It would be harder if she had identical twins and couldn't tell one from the other.
Re: Face Recognition by shilling(f): 6:17am On May 07, 2010
Wow, interesting story. I know some people are really bad with faces, but I haven't heard anything as severe as that.

@ manmustwac
Was that the last time your mum behaved like that, not recognizing a very familiar face?
Re: Face Recognition by manmustwac(m): 12:04pm On May 07, 2010
@shilling
that was the only time.
Re: Face Recognition by madlady(f): 2:52pm On May 07, 2010
@Poster, your topic title really caught my eye cool.

I am exactally the opposite.

I only need to see a face once and that's it,I always recall that person.

Last week I recognised a guy on the street from a profile picture I saw on NL. shocked

I think I have a photographic memory (for some things), well so I have been told. undecided
Re: Face Recognition by shilling(f): 1:09am On May 08, 2010
madlady:

@Poster, your topic title really caught my eye cool.
Last week I recognised a guy on the street  from a profile picture I saw on NL. shocked

WOW!!

manmustwac:

@shilling
that was the only time.

Ok, maybe it was just one of those really stressful days.

How come the kid your mum thought was your bro didn't complain when he was taken to someone's house? Kids . . . gotta love 'em.
Re: Face Recognition by madlady(f): 6:53am On May 08, 2010
shilling:

WOW!!

The guy's picture was just a tiny bit clearer than my own.
The funny thing is, I now realise he only lives 2 streets away from me, I park my car on his road shocked shocked.

I really do have a very good memory for faces. I met lady once who I had not seen since I was 10 years old,
she had changed, but I still knew she was my primary school teacher.
Re: Face Recognition by manmustwac(m): 8:48pm On May 08, 2010
@madlady
you belong to a small minority of people who are known as the super recognizers. Theres a lady who recognizes her fellow students in college 3 weeks after having a brief encounter with them that only lasted 30 seconds to a few minutes and a guy who recognized a man that he saw from a distance only briefly a few years later on another flight.

shilling:

How come the kid your mum thought was your bro didn't complain when he was taken to someone's house? Kids . . . gotta love 'em.
You have point there both boys were young and didn't seem to even know what was happening.
Re: Face Recognition by Nezed(f): 7:31am On May 13, 2010
i saw my bros and said to my mother ''mummy this is not efe'' She looked at him and realized that it was not him.
wow, i have bn playing this scenario over in my mind's eye and i still cant grasp it.Lol.

While reading your story, I was thinking it was you that didnt recognize 'Efe' your brother, not knowing it was your mum that had actually kidnapped 'Eno' grin grin Poor you!
Re: Face Recognition by indie22(f): 1:02pm On May 13, 2010
I believe that these things can happen, altho i shudder to think about what would have followed if the woman had accused your mum of kidnapping,

(1) (Reply)

Stepdads And Stepmoms: How Do You Addresses Them? / What's Your Opinion? / How Will You Advice Him?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.