Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,836 members, 7,810,214 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:15 AM

The London Skyline Is Finally Taking Shape! - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The London Skyline Is Finally Taking Shape! (11855 Views)

Manila Skyline, Philippines / Abuja Skyline: Day And Night-time / Pictures of Lagos Skyline (City-Scape) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The London Skyline Is Finally Taking Shape! by dblock(m): 5:12am On Mar 11, 2007
Fora developed nation, England's cities have crap skylines, as do most other european cities, but things are finally changing and the London skyline is expanding by the minute cheesy

Here are some Pictures/Renders wink

The blue highlight is where this building will go up\\\\\

The Architects' Journal have reported that Land Securities are planning a tower for the City of London.

Designed by Rafael Vinoly, it will be 45 storeys and will replace an existing 90m midrise built in the 1960's. The site is near the river, close to London Bridge, to the south of the main skyscraper cluster.

No official renderings have been released yet, but I've drawn the exact location of the tower, and the minimum height we can expect (see pics below).

Apparently the building will resemble a "huge curved television facing the Thames" or the 1950s Ericsson phone design.

The proposals are set to go before Corporation planners this summer.

According to sources working on the project, the design is "deferential" to the Tower of London and a nearby listed church, helping to appease the heritage bodies. It has also received positive comments from the Commission for Architecture and the Built Environment (CABE).

This building is planned and will be built to the east of the scape!!! cheesy

The building between the docks tower and the mary Axe is anpther project planned!!!! (lovely Architecture) smiley

Close Up

The tallest building in this pic, Heron tower will reach 242 Metres

Leadenhall(The wedge building),  Is also to be built

This is Architecture at it's best!!!!!

Rear View

Thos two twin towers(214m and 189m) are two be built bu the riveside aswell

[img]http://www.richardrogers.co.uk/Asp/uploadedFiles/image/3410_Canary%20Riverside/design/3410[/img]

Close Up

Another building, St Georges Wharf which will be 181m

Jumeirah Towercheesy

Notes:
Originally proposed at 70-storeys/220m, this has now been reduced in height, and the footprint has been shrunk.
The building will taper in at the bottom to provide uninterrupted views from Waterloo of London Bridge Tower,
which should fit right between it and Kings Reach Tower. It will stand in a very prominent location, and a public
viewing gallery will be located on the top 2 floors, offering stunning views across the capital. The building will
feature a 6-star hotel and luxury apartments, each with their own internal conservatory space as with 1 Deansgate
in Manchester.
Doon Street Tower

Notes:
This is a 47-storey mixed-use development and would be one of the tallest buildings on London's South Bank.
Its height and location make this a controversial project, as it would infringe on famous views from St James' Park.
It would also interfere with views from the pods in the London Eye. For many people, the design and aesthetics of
the tower are also unappealling. It cannot be denied, however, that this project would greatly help in
regenerating the surrounding area, improving pedestrian links and other amenities.

Current Status:
A planning application was submitted in May 2006. Despite its height and the controversial location, it stands a fair to moderate chance
of being approved, as the developers have spent a great deal of time consulting with Southwark Council.
Re: The London Skyline Is Finally Taking Shape! by orp: 3:52pm On Mar 11, 2007
why did you forget to give reference
Re: The London Skyline Is Finally Taking Shape! by dblock(m): 1:06am On Mar 12, 2007
I'll modify my post in the afternoon and put all the sources and references, if this topic isn't deleted by then or I'm not ban
Re: The London Skyline Is Finally Taking Shape! by dblock(m): 8:03am On Mar 12, 2007
Re: The London Skyline Is Finally Taking Shape! by dblock(m): 9:40am On Jun 03, 2007
London's new skyline cheesy

The render/pictorial is an incorporation of existing buildings as well as Buildings Under Construction.

The 122 Leadenhall is not in the Render wink
Re: The London Skyline Is Finally Taking Shape! by Vicjustice: 10:19am On Jun 03, 2007
Is the building (on the left sides) of the top and recent pictures a mosque? I fear terrorist ooo! lipsrsealed sad
Re: The London Skyline Is Finally Taking Shape! by dblock(m): 10:26am On Jun 03, 2007
No it's St Pauls Cathedral

[url=http://www.jameswiseman.com/photos/england/london/London%20England%20St%20Pauls%20Cathedral1.jpg"][/url]
Re: The London Skyline Is Finally Taking Shape! by English1(f): 11:32am On Jun 04, 2007
So the only good building is a sky-scraper? undecided
Re: The London Skyline Is Finally Taking Shape! by dblock(m): 7:18am On Jun 08, 2007
Sorry if I have to hammer this into your head, but the skyscraper is the ultimate Architrctural Creation of this Era. Every Time period has it's Prominent Structures.

Either that or The Billions of Skyscraper Fanatics all around the world are Idiots and You Miss English1 are a Genius wink
Re: The London Skyline Is Finally Taking Shape! by PapaBrowne(m): 1:59am On Jun 09, 2007
I really never liked the London skyline.It looks so industrial. Anyways, these are kool improvements.
You know, most European cities (except those in maybe Germany) have major restrictions on skyscrapers.
They usually restrict them to certain areas to preserve that historic look.

Skyscrapers are a show of strength and wealth for any city.They might not be beautiful( lady-like) but they do really feel like they have some kind of arrogance and corkiness about them, yet they are elegant.

@dblock
There is some interesting architecture happening in the scandinavian, do u have any pictures or can you start a thread on that.
Thanks man
Re: The London Skyline Is Finally Taking Shape! by dblock(m): 2:43am On Jun 09, 2007
Yeah I don't really like Historic Cities. wink

I'll start a Scandinavian Threa. I don't expect many replies, as people in this forum are very Pessimistic and Sour. undecided
Re: The London Skyline Is Finally Taking Shape! by VOR(m): 9:49pm On Jun 17, 2007
Dblock,

The London skyline is changing fast but a lot of people don't agree
with the changes to the skyline because it dilutes the essential character
of this very historic city.

Take a monument like Tower Bridge for example, a London icon, I defy anyone to take
a walk or drive over this bridge at night and not marvel at its beauty. Remember the bridge
is several hundred years old. Now there are plans to build a couple of skyscrapers near it and the fear
is they will dwarf the bridge. I think this is wrong and that skyscrapers should be kept away from historic
buildings like Tower bridge and  ST. Pauls. Anyway here is the link to an article which might interst you.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/content/articles/2007/05/30/building_britain_ackroyd_feature.shtml

1 Like

Re: The London Skyline Is Finally Taking Shape! by dblock(m): 8:41am On Jun 18, 2007
Yes but surely we cannot dwell in the past forever. It's not as if in the year 3000, those Monuments will even be standing.
Things change, and that's just how life is.

I on the contrary, think it is wrong to see a Place as a Time Frame. London is not Victoria's London it is simply London. Places change and Monuments change, it's not as if Big Ben was always an Iconic Structure in London, there was a time when it didn't exist, and if we were to do some research, their is a possibility that it's construction could have meant the destruction of some other Monument, a church for Example.

Because the Truth is, Skyscrapers are just as Symbolic as those Structures you mentioned. You can't possibly tell me that The Empire State Building in New York is not historic, or The Chrysler Building, or even the Sears Tower.

Every Structure Genre has it's time, and I firmly believe that this is the time of the Skyscraper. wink

(1) (Reply)

Traveling To Bahrain - Don't Pay Any Agent. / COVID-19: UK Expected To Remove Nigeria, 10 Other Countries From Red List / Anyone Interested In Travelling To Rwanda

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.