Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,574 members, 7,840,372 topics. Date: Saturday, 25 May 2024 at 11:01 PM

Making The Auto Section Safe For Buyers. - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Making The Auto Section Safe For Buyers. (1741 Views)

Is The Auto Section Dead??? / List Of Scammers In The Auto Section / How To Successfully Pre Order A Car On Nairaland ( For Buyers And Sellers ) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Making The Auto Section Safe For Buyers. by BizBooks(m): 6:09pm On May 04, 2010
Recent events have made it necessary in my opinion for us to introduce a new policy in the Auto Section. As I understand it, anybody has the right to advertise a car on NL at the moment. I fully support this practice and do not wish to abolish it.

But I think we should have a second category of Dealers known as "Verified Dealers". This simply means that the owner or administrators of NL have confirmed that the Dealer is who he claims to be. This concept is not new. It has been in use for a long time by such established sites as Amazon, Ebay, Paypal and more recently Twitter.

To become a "Verified Dealer" all you have to do is submit the following information to the administrators of NL:

1. Your Real Name
2. NL User Name
3. Driver's License
4. Home Address
5. Phone Number
6. Bank Account

This list is not exhaustive. Items can be added or removed as necessary. But I believe every real dealer on NL can provide them with ease. Once these information have been verified to be true, the dealer should then have "Verified" appear somewhere around their user name.

Under this arrangement, buyers will have comfort in knowing that the identities of verified dealers have been established. If something goes wrong, they will not simply disappear without trace.
Re: Making The Auto Section Safe For Buyers. by go4gold107(m): 6:22pm On May 04, 2010
In full support.

We can work it out to increase buyers' confidence,
Re: Making The Auto Section Safe For Buyers. by ayusman16(m): 6:29pm On May 04, 2010
I know some dealers who are very mysterious and would never part with such details.? Infact, they will not even contribute on this post. I want them to prove me wrong. The auto section needs to be sanitised.
Re: Making The Auto Section Safe For Buyers. by layzie: 7:04pm On May 04, 2010
Dealers lets have ur take on this pls.
@bizbook: dats a good one!
Re: Making The Auto Section Safe For Buyers. by ambyzown(m): 8:06pm On May 04, 2010
I totally agree
Re: Making The Auto Section Safe For Buyers. by inspiredm(m): 8:29pm On May 04, 2010
Nice Idea, More like Nairaland Auto Section Buyers Protection & Fraud Prevention Measure.

Verified Dealers/Sellers Name Could also be In Blue
or Red to Distinguish from Unverified Sellers.

Its a Usual Practice everywhere in the World to Safeguard Buyers Most especially Online.

Im Totally in Full Support.

cool cool
Re: Making The Auto Section Safe For Buyers. by viperman: 9:40pm On May 04, 2010
I've been a verified dealer since 2007 on this site, met a lot of nice nairalanders in person, and some very naughty ones e.g. Inspired, showbobo etc grin

On a serious note, this has been long needed.
Re: Making The Auto Section Safe For Buyers. by Fhemmmy: 10:00pm On May 04, 2010
In full support of this, as long as there is a way to make sure the personal information given are kept and used to the purpose only.
I think it is time that a real dealer needed to be differentiate from people that just wanna make others miserable.

So let them think about how to make sure the information submitted is not made public to everyone that is out there, cos i wont want everyone on the WWW to know my home address or have access to my drive license information, nor my bank account number.

But once again, we are so much in support of this and willing to help to make this happen.

For every correspondence, Femmmy.moto@gmail.com
Re: Making The Auto Section Safe For Buyers. by german007(m): 10:45pm On May 04, 2010
Im in full support of this, and infact intended to suggest this. ages ago.

Even little things like posting your profile picture go a long way.  I happily posted my profile picture as I am very confident that I am who I am, A genuine and honest business professional,  I'm infact happy to provide a lot more information if requested,  Loads of my clients and potential clients infact end up as facebook friends with me. Little things like that go a long way in gaining a clients trust and ensure you have a large, trusted and growing client base.

We should aim to make this autosection the best in the world,  And aim to ensure our clients feel safe and secure.

Im fully in support of this.

Long Live Nairaland Autosection.

Regards

aokhai@hotmail.com

cool
Re: Making The Auto Section Safe For Buyers. by yinkus45(m): 11:07pm On May 04, 2010
Brilliant idea! No doubt this will create a level of confidence amongst buyers
How do we overcome some of the issues mentioned?

Let's come up with ways to take this to the next level

I'll share some ideas on how this may work.
Re: Making The Auto Section Safe For Buyers. by Busybody2(f): 2:56am On May 05, 2010
If myself and my fellow Directors of the Sanitisation Team don't see marital status, bank balance, shares portfolios, and original deed to all their landed property also listed forthwith, we will not sanction or authorise anything angry You have been warned angry tongue cheesy
Re: Making The Auto Section Safe For Buyers. by showbobo(m): 3:38am On May 05, 2010
viperman:

I've been a verified dealer since 2007 on this site, met a lot of nice nairalanders in person, and some very naughty ones e.g. Inspired, showbobo etc grin

On a serious note, this has been long needed.
hehehe, GOD dey grin

Also buyers should be able to leave a feedback rating and some top/clean dealers like Viperman,Inspired,Fhemmy can carry a star in front of their usernames and tagged as POWER SELLERS cos they"ve been sorta impeccable over the years
Re: Making The Auto Section Safe For Buyers. by AGARIautos: 4:32am On May 05, 2010
DEAR PEOPLE,

WE SALUTE BIZBOOKS AND WELCOME HIS IDEA AND ALSO ALL YOUR COURAGE AND CONTRIBUTION TO PUT SANITY IN THIS FORUM AND RESTORE COURAGE AMONGST BUYERS AND SELLERS ALIKE.

WE ARE IN FULL SUPPORT OF THE DOCUMENTS TO BE SUBMITTED EXCEPT FOR THE BANK DETAILS, WHICH IS THE POWER HOUSE OF EVERY HUMAN OR BUSINESS IN EXISTENCE ESPECIALLY WITH THE HIGH RATE OF FRAUD TAKING PLACE AT THIS TIME. IT IS PERTINENT TO NOTE THE HIGH RISK ASSOCIATED IN DIVULGING BANK DETAILS TO UNKNOWN INDIVIDUALS.

WE SUGGEST IN ADDITION TO THE LIST PROVIDED THE FOLLOWING BE INCLUDED:
a. DATA PAGE OF INTERNATIONAL PASSPORT OF THE DEALER OR DIRECTORS IN THE CASE OF A COMPANY,
b. DEALER LICENCE NUMBER (LOCAL OR INTERNATIONAL),
c. SITE VISIT TO THE DEALERS AND PRIVATE SELLERS TO VERIFY AUTHENTICITY

WE BELIEVE THIS MAY HELP IN ARRIVING AT A SAFE CONCLUSION.

YOU MAY WISH TO ADVICE FURTHER.

THANKS.
Re: Making The Auto Section Safe For Buyers. by ayusman16(m): 7:13am On May 05, 2010
I think residential address and Bank Account number should be excluded. Stuffs like Full Names, Business Address, Tel digits and profile should be made compulsory on their Nairaland profiles. If customers can make a deposit for cars without really knowing the dealers then they should do us all good by disclosing some of their personal info to hold to? Just my two kobo.
Re: Making The Auto Section Safe For Buyers. by Robotica: 8:26am On May 05, 2010
GoodJOB Bizbooks,

You don gve beta idea for this forum.
God go butter ya bread,

Agwo emeghi nke o jiri buru agwo, umuaka achiri ya hie nku
"If a snake fails to show its venom, little kids will use it in tying firewood"

Left to me, the following dealers nah im i fit transact with, with my eyes closed, i fit give them millions, sleep beta sleep for nite. In no particular order:

Dantikiki
Viperman
Emperoh
Bizbooks
German007
Inspired
Fhemmy
KunleA

No offence, but to me, anybody else nah film trick den be, until den prove themselves worthy of their position. Mak una issue the above with staff badge.  grin   grin.
Re: Making The Auto Section Safe For Buyers. by dantitiki(m): 9:02am On May 05, 2010
Good idea, but the privacy policy to these information is key.

Kind regards.
Re: Making The Auto Section Safe For Buyers. by ayusman16(m): 9:34am On May 05, 2010
Robotica:

GoodJOB Bizbooks,

You don gve beta idea for this forum.
God go butter ya bread,

Agwo emeghi nke o jiri buru agwo, umuaka achiri ya hie nku
"If a snake fails to show its venom, little kids will use it in tying firewood"

Left to me, the following dealers nah im i fit transact with, with my eyes closed, i fit give them millions, sleep beta sleep for nite. In no particular order:

Dantikiki
Viperman
Emperoh
Bizbooks
German007
Inspired
Fhemmy
KunleA

No offence, but to me, anybody else nah film trick den be, until den prove themselves worthy of their position. Mak una issue the above with staff badge. grin grin.

Just becos u find them credible does not mean they should be given exemption? That is the problem with this country. What of other potential customers?

I think the above are the most popular dealers here hence they should lead by example by posting their details excluding their bank accounts and residential addressess.
Re: Making The Auto Section Safe For Buyers. by GeorgeD1(m): 10:26am On May 05, 2010
i'm sure pt consults won't dare submit his personal info to nairaland admin!  grin

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-440645.99999.html#bot
Re: Making The Auto Section Safe For Buyers. by Seun(m): 4:00pm On May 05, 2010
This is a lovely idea; however, it's not yet official.  We can make it a unenforced recommendation.
Re: Making The Auto Section Safe For Buyers. by Fhemmmy: 6:44pm On May 05, 2010
AGARIautos:

DEAR PEOPLE,

WE SALUTE BIZBOOKS AND WELCOME HIS IDEA AND ALSO ALL YOUR COURAGE AND CONTRIBUTION TO PUT SANITY IN THIS FORUM AND RESTORE COURAGE AMONGST BUYERS AND SELLERS ALIKE.

WE ARE IN FULL SUPPORT OF THE DOCUMENTS TO BE SUBMITTED EXCEPT FOR THE BANK DETAILS, WHICH IS THE POWER HOUSE OF EVERY HUMAN OR BUSINESS IN EXISTENCE ESPECIALLY WITH THE HIGH RATE OF FRAUD TAKING PLACE AT THIS TIME. IT IS PERTINENT TO NOTE THE HIGH RISK ASSOCIATED IN DIVULGING BANK DETAILS TO UNKNOWN INDIVIDUALS.

WE SUGGEST IN ADDITION TO THE LIST PROVIDED THE FOLLOWING BE INCLUDED:
a. DATA PAGE OF INTERNATIONAL PASSPORT OF THE DEALER OR DIRECTORS IN THE CASE OF A COMPANY,
b. DEALER LICENCE NUMBER (LOCAL OR INTERNATIONAL),
c. SITE VISIT TO THE DEALERS AND PRIVATE SELLERS TO VERIFY AUTHENTICITY

WE BELIEVE THIS MAY HELP IN ARRIVING AT A SAFE CONCLUSION.

YOU MAY WISH TO ADVICE FURTHER.

THANKS.

Pls explain
Re: Making The Auto Section Safe For Buyers. by showbobo(m): 1:24am On May 06, 2010
Seun:

This is a lovely idea; however, it's not yet official.   We can make it a unenforced recommendation.
I guess its up to you when you want to make it official/enforced. . .Its your site at stake
Re: Making The Auto Section Safe For Buyers. by jameez: 1:27am On May 06, 2010
showbobo:

I guess its up to you when you want to make it for official. . .Its your site and name at stake

SECONDED
Re: Making The Auto Section Safe For Buyers. by AGARIautos: 2:34am On May 06, 2010
@Fhemmmy,

THANKS FOR YOUR INTEREST.
a. DATA PAGE - THIS WILL BE FOR IDENTIFICATION PURPOSES OF THE INDIVIDUAL BEHIND THE SCENE AND SHOWS EVERYTHING ABOUT YOU THAT IS WHY THE BANKS DEPEND ON THIS AS THEIR SOURCE OF GUARANTEE FOR IDENTIFICATION. INTERNATIONAL PASSPORT / DRIVERS LICENCE / NATIONAL ID CAN SUFFICE HERE.

b. DEALER LICENCE - AUTO DEALERS WORLDWIDE BELONG TO AN UMBRELLA BODY OR ASSOCIATION EITHER FOR THE PURPOSE OF BUYING OR SELLING. THIS DEALERS HAVE REGISTRATION NUMBERS FOR IDENTIFICATION AND CAN BE USED TO TRACE ANY FRAUDULENT CASE AND IDENTIFY MAIN DEALERS. BUT MOST OF US HERE ARE SMALL OR PRIVATE SELLERS SO THIS CAN COME UP WITH A WAY OF REGISTERING SELLERS FOR TRACEABILITY PURPOSES.

c. SITE VERIFICATION VISIT - VERY IMPORTANT. ALL SELLERS SHOULD BE VISITED UPON SUBMISSION OF DOCUMENTS AT LEAST TO IDENTIFY OR TIE THEM TO A GENUINE ADDRESS WITH PROOF BEFORE THEY ARE ALLOWED TO PLACE ANY ADVERT FOR SALE. IT SHOULD BE A KIND OF SCREENING PROCESS THAT WILL MINIMISE SCAM TO A MINIMUM.

WE HOPE THIS EXPLANATION HELPS.

PLEASE COMMENT FURTHER.
Re: Making The Auto Section Safe For Buyers. by BizBooks(m): 3:16am On May 06, 2010
Since Seun has shown interest in this matter, let's wait and see what he comes up with. Apart from doing nothing, any system he sets up will be better than what we have now.

P.S: If providing bank information is un-acceptable, let's remove it from the list and move ahead.
Re: Making The Auto Section Safe For Buyers. by ib612(m): 3:33am On May 06, 2010
The suggested idea is worth a trial.

Nevertheless, the issue of addresses, 9ja or any other place, couple with account information may become a gold mine for all these fraudulent individuals if it falls on wrong hand.

I should like to suggest that international passport, phone number(s), pictures and/or national identity cards (9ja or other counrty) should do the trick.
Re: Making The Auto Section Safe For Buyers. by jameez: 3:38am On May 06, 2010
ib612:

Nevertheless, the issue of addresses, 9ja or any other place, couple with account information may become a gold mine for all these fraudulent individuals if it falls on wrong hand.

I should like to suggest that international passport, phone number(s), pictures and/or national identity cards (9ja or other counrty) should do the trick.

SECONDED
Re: Making The Auto Section Safe For Buyers. by temodent(m): 5:12am On May 06, 2010
Thumb up for this idea, however it should be taken very important and urgent. I think we should have something like a clearing house, if we want to pattern our nairaland like the ebay. Maybe an opportunity for a payment system that allows for a third party (clearing house).
We ought to have started thinking about this long ago, considering the usual credibility problem of some of us Nigerians. A suggestion anyway, to be looked at for the sustanability of this forum especially as it concerns exchange of money. Thanx
Re: Making The Auto Section Safe For Buyers. by GeorgeD1(m): 11:09am On May 06, 2010
ib612:

i don't think there's any big deal with giving out addresses or account information provided they are kept safe by the admin. afterall if your a genuine dealer you will like your clients to know where your based and for them to have an account they can pay into?
Re: Making The Auto Section Safe For Buyers. by ayusman16(m): 3:03pm On May 06, 2010
Are we sanitising the forum for the safety of the admin or potential customers? I think dealers' info should be made public for all to see.
Re: Making The Auto Section Safe For Buyers. by nyrol(m): 5:01pm On May 06, 2010
Nice idea, like someone said earlier the power dealers in the house should kick start this process pls.
Re: Making The Auto Section Safe For Buyers. by yinkus45(m): 6:10pm On May 06, 2010
Definitely, providing identification documents & bank account information to Nairaland’s administrator is a good step; but this may not deter potential for abuse or fraud.

Remember, Nairaland is only a forum that helps bring potential buyers and sellers together. The onus of deterring potential fraud and guaranteeing customer satisfaction should be on dealers themselves. So, I believe Self regulation amongst dealers is the starting point. 

This is one approach to self regulation:

Key individuals (up to 30) identified as dealers/brokers on this forum should come together and agree on business rules and criteria for doing business on Nairaland. Other dealers and new dealers, who wish to be “Verified”, must agree to these rules. The purpose is not to bar any dealer from doing business, but the rules can help buyers feel more confident transacting with “Nairaland auto experts”

Once rules are agreed upon, get Nairaland’s input and approval. There should be periodic reviews of rules to allow for changing landscape. Yes, some issues may arise in execution, but if people are committed to any idea or concept they’ll find a way to make it work.
Re: Making The Auto Section Safe For Buyers. by Tadeus(m): 6:22pm On May 06, 2010
welcome concept, i agree

(1) (2) (Reply)

Registered 2002 Nissan Pathfinder N1.6m NOW N1.4M / 2006 Chevrolet Avalanche C1500 / 2006 Honda Accord Ex:**nigerian Used Discussion Continues**: 1.6m......[SOLD]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.