Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,919 members, 7,817,694 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:27 PM

How To Successfully Pre Order A Car On Nairaland ( For Buyers And Sellers ) - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / How To Successfully Pre Order A Car On Nairaland ( For Buyers And Sellers ) (28765 Views)

Carxus.com - the Best Car Trader website that connects local buyers and sellers! / Thread For Heavy Duty Construction Machines (for Buyers And Sellers) / Attention : All Auto Dealers And Sellers On Nairaland (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Successfully Pre Order A Car On Nairaland ( For Buyers And Sellers ) by inspiredm(m): 6:04pm On Apr 04, 2011
Sequel to The Pre Order Mess thread, Buyers and Sellers have responsibilities in ensuring a safe and smooth Pre order transaction.

This thread is to restore the Confidence of Buyers Who Choose to Purchase Vehicles through the Pre order System on Nairaland.

We shall be giving Safe Proof, Time tested and Trusted tips that would enable Buyers and Sellers have a Win - Win situation at the end of the day.

Positive Contributions and Ideas are welcome
Re: How To Successfully Pre Order A Car On Nairaland ( For Buyers And Sellers ) by Piedpiper(m): 3:53pm On Apr 05, 2011
Hmmm, waiting on you to start the ball rolling man. Then we the buyers will chip in what we have glanced from relating with you the dealers on a one on one basis! wink
Re: How To Successfully Pre Order A Car On Nairaland ( For Buyers And Sellers ) by Fhemmmy: 4:00pm On Apr 05, 2011
I think first and foremost . . . . . The Dealer needs to be very open to their clients.

The Dealer has to be so open and be willing to break down the cost of the rides to the buyers

It is important for the buyers to be reasonable, meaning, if you see a car that is being sold in America for like 10,000$$, then, dont expect to get such ride for only 1.5M Naira, when the exchange rate is 158N and there are still so many other expenses to be added to it.

Let us always compare apple to apple.

Cheap dont necessarily means the best

Kinda busy now and will add more to it later
Re: How To Successfully Pre Order A Car On Nairaland ( For Buyers And Sellers ) by Piedpiper(m): 8:11am On Apr 06, 2011
Well Femmmy.
What about a case where the buyer and dealer have reached an agreement only for the seller to change the price after receiving a tidy deposit? Isnt that fraudulent and akin to obtaining funds under false pretense ?

1 Like

Re: How To Successfully Pre Order A Car On Nairaland ( For Buyers And Sellers ) by BizBooks(m): 1:51pm On Apr 06, 2011
I think this thread should be broadened to cover how to successfully order a car on Nairaland (both pre-order and cars on the ground).

One of the greatest advantages of buying a car on NL from the buyers' point of view is the comfort in knowing that they can bring their cases to the NL court of public opinion if problems arise. As it turns out, the NL court of public opinion is very effective in resolving buyer/seller disputes without the exchange of blows or law enforcement intervention. No respectable dealer will wish to be brought to this court.

The admin should also make it very clear to all that any dealer who intentionally defrauds a buyer will be banned from selling on NL. In some cases, it may be difficult to prove intentional fraud. But if the facts of the matter are revealed, the aforementioned NL court will figure it out.
Re: How To Successfully Pre Order A Car On Nairaland ( For Buyers And Sellers ) by Piedpiper(m): 2:20pm On Apr 06, 2011
Nice one Bizzy!
Seconded. Further to that can't a way be designed by the moderators where those dealers who engage in the preorder option of sales have their details lodged with the moderators?
By this I mean details of residential /business contacts , possibly bankers and the likes and off course pictures!
This has come up as suggestions time after time but has never been implemented. Though I like the NL court what stops a dealer after defrauding someone from changing user names and voila its business as usual ? Afterall I have dealt with dealers here who have series of user names!
I think the main aim here is to protect the buyers funds and reduce the incidence of JByisms grin
Re: How To Successfully Pre Order A Car On Nairaland ( For Buyers And Sellers ) by Fhemmmy: 2:21pm On Apr 06, 2011
Piedpiper:

Well Femmmy.
What about a case where the buyer and dealer have reached an agreement only for the seller to change the price after receiving a tidy deposit? Isnt that fraudulent and akin to obtaining funds under false pretense ?

Yes  . . Once a dealer agreed on a price and never stated in his deals and agreement that if and "X" factor changes, he might change the price, that is fraud, and should not be allowed, such buyer should just ask for his money back.

However, that being said, if a dealer and the buyer agreed that money will be paid on a certain date and he delayed, while the delay continues, if the cost of buying $$ has changed, i think it is fair for the buyer and the dealer to find a way to make up for that.

But like i said earlier, it is important for both buyer and the seller to have all this stated in their deal . . . .at the end of the day, openness is very important.
Re: How To Successfully Pre Order A Car On Nairaland ( For Buyers And Sellers ) by BizBooks(m): 2:30pm On Apr 06, 2011
Piedpiper:

Though I like the NL court what stops a dealer after defrauding someone from changing user names and voila its business as usual ? Afterall I have dealt with dealers here who have series of user names!,

I'm hoping that buyers will prefer to deal with well established dealers. By that I mean dealers who have been here for sometime not just somebody that registered yesterday.
Re: How To Successfully Pre Order A Car On Nairaland ( For Buyers And Sellers ) by Fhemmmy: 2:45pm On Apr 06, 2011
BizBooks:

I'm hoping that buyers will prefer to deal with well established dealers. By that I mean dealers who have been here for sometime not just somebody that registered yesterday.

I kinda agreed with Piedpipper on that comment, a dealer that is established did not get established in one day.
A fraudulent dealer will be willing to wait till they can get their prey . . . . I think the most important thing for buyer is to do their research and not judge the book by the cover . . .they need to be informed and be willing to learn and know how things are.
I know few dealers on NL that cu-currently running multiple user name, so what would it take such dealer to right away start using the other one and pretend to be establish.

The dealers needs to be honest in all they do, while the buyers need to be realistic
Re: How To Successfully Pre Order A Car On Nairaland ( For Buyers And Sellers ) by Piedpiper(m): 3:57pm On Apr 06, 2011
Ah Bizzy
I laugh in Igbani. grin grin grin
Re: How To Successfully Pre Order A Car On Nairaland ( For Buyers And Sellers ) by Fhemmmy: 4:51pm On Apr 06, 2011
BizBooks:

@ Fhemmmy,

Many of us here actually know some of the dealers with multiple dealer names. From my experience, they are using that to circumvent the 3 post limit. But I could be wrong. No system is fail safe. A determined fraudster will always find a way. But there is no harm in dealing with people like you and I and a few others grin grin grin.

That is very true, i know a fraudster will go to any lenght to do bad . . . . . .
Trusted, Tested and True is the key like you said, but i think the play field should be plain and same for all.
The rule of 3 thread a day and 5 updates, i think is working well and a good thing, although, once in a while i get too excited and post on the 4th when clients have questions, you know when you are too used to giving responses in a timely manner, kinda breaks your heart to see a potential buyer asking question on a thread that you cant update for the day.

My question is this, why multiple username when it could be confusing?
Re: How To Successfully Pre Order A Car On Nairaland ( For Buyers And Sellers ) by inspiredm(m): 4:57pm On Apr 06, 2011
Piedpiper:

Nice one Bizzy!
Seconded. Further to that can't a way be designed by the moderators where those dealers who engage in the preorder option of sales have their details lodged with the moderators?
By this I mean details of residential /business contacts , possibly bankers and the likes and off course pictures!
This has come up as suggestions time after time but has never been implemented. Though I like the NL court what stops a dealer after defrauding someone from changing user names and voila its business as usual ? Afterall I have dealt with dealers here who have series of user names!
I think the main aim here is to protect the buyers funds and reduce the incidence of JByisms  grin

YES

We are taking it to the Level Where Pre Order Dealers would have to be Accredited before they can advertise on Nairaland

The List would be Updated as time goes by.

Any One that deals With a Non Accredited Dealer Wouldn't even be entertained If Things go wrong

We Would have detailed/Verfiable records of Both Nigerian based Dealers/Sellers and Those in Diaspora who wish to engage in the Pre order Business and In the case of any fraud, it would be easy to trace them.

One of the easiest ways to Swindle Buyers is this Pre order Method and we want to ensure a Crack down against Unscrupulous People who want to ruin it For Honest Dealers and Sellers Alike.
Re: How To Successfully Pre Order A Car On Nairaland ( For Buyers And Sellers ) by inspiredm(m): 12:47am On Apr 07, 2011
[size=15pt]TIP 1 FOR BUYERS
[/size]
Check for the Market Value of the vehicle You want to Pre Order.

Every Car has a Market Value, and The Price it is Worth Vis a Vis Condition, Mileage, Number of Owners, etc

You can check this using www.kbb.com

If a Pre Order Seller/Dealer Offers You a Very Cheap Price RIDICULOUSLY Lower than the Market Value, Ask yourself WHY.

Scammers Would Offer you Ridiculously Low prices to Attract You, Its a Pre order System Whereby you don't see what you're Buying Right Away.

You are Often told that the VERY Low Price is a very RARE offer, You may also Hear that the Car is limited in quantity or Some other way.

You are told that you MUST ACT QUICKLY or Someone Else will Buy the Car.

However, No Matter the Explanation Given, Your Best Course of Action is to Walk Away. This is Especially True if you do not have time / means to verify either the Seller Or the Vehicle Offered.

Re: How To Successfully Pre Order A Car On Nairaland ( For Buyers And Sellers ) by Piedpiper(m): 11:48am On Apr 07, 2011
Hmm, nice one but now the rub!
Most dealers agree on a particular ride and then some way into the deal preferably after receiving some cash call to say that has already been sold or they discovered one in another lot that will fit the bill but they need to act fast to secure it. Now your money is already with him, and the pix he sent you looks nice but that certainly isnt the ride you performed due diligence on and now time is of the essence as a week or two has elapsed and you need your ride?
End, is you agree. shocked
Re: How To Successfully Pre Order A Car On Nairaland ( For Buyers And Sellers ) by inspiredm(m): 2:44pm On Apr 07, 2011
Piedpiper:

Hmm, nice one but now the rub!
Most dealers agree on a particular ride and then some way into the deal preferably after receiving some cash call to say that has already been sold or they discovered one in another lot that will fit the bill but they need to act fast to secure it. Now your money is already with him, and the pix he sent you looks nice but that certainly isnt the ride you performed due diligence on and now time is of the essence as a week or two has elapsed and you need your ride?
End, is you agree. shocked

Piedpiper,

These Tips and Guidelines are BEFORE Committing Your Money To any Dealer or Seller

Once You have Committed your Money, You are Technically at the mercy of the Seller/Dealer

While I understand some dealers play some funny tricks, A Scammer May not tell you the car has been SOLD, He continues to Buy Time Until More People Fall Prey.

He may even Go ahead to Mark the Car SOLD TO PIED PIPER so as to catch Other Victims, We have seen it Happen here several times.
Re: How To Successfully Pre Order A Car On Nairaland ( For Buyers And Sellers ) by mastro: 3:16pm On Apr 08, 2011
There IMO needs to be some protection for buyers who are putting down large sums of money, an escrow service of some sort, does anyone know of any bank or large Nigerian financial institution which offers this service? If the likes of GTBank offered this for a 2-3% fee (bearing in mind that they would also have use of the funds during the transaction)

I think most buyers would pay the premium, dealers would I guess prefer the cash in hand to transact with but to be candid if they don't have the capital then they shouldn't be in business.
Re: How To Successfully Pre Order A Car On Nairaland ( For Buyers And Sellers ) by inspiredm(m): 6:47pm On Apr 09, 2011
[size=15pt]TIP 1 FOR DEALERS AND SELLERS[/size]

A Pre order Dealer/seller Must be FINANCIALLY STABLE.

Any Dealer or Seller Who cannot Single handedly Finance a Pre order transaction Has no Business in the Pre Order Business.

Deposit made by a Buyer is Supposed to be sort of Commitment on his/her Part and is Not Supposed to replace the Money Intended for the Business.

Deposits between 10% - 50% Of the Landing Costs are Within Limits.

Situations where buyers are made to Pay 100% of Funds Upfront for Pre order Business is no Longer a Pre Order transaction.

Re: How To Successfully Pre Order A Car On Nairaland ( For Buyers And Sellers ) by dejinco: 7:01pm On Apr 09, 2011
Goodday people, I have been following the preorder issues. Firstly I think there should be a way to accredit pre-order dealers i.e. the moderator should come up with a way to make sure people are protected not just the buyers but also the sellers.

Secondly, they should give room for new and genuine pre-order dealers hoping to come and not make it difficult for them to come do business cos even the 'don(s)' in the group all started from somewhere.

I like the idea of the bank IMO plan too is a lovely idea. inspired you are right on point on the scam patterns and advises.

Keep it up.
Re: How To Successfully Pre Order A Car On Nairaland ( For Buyers And Sellers ) by verbena: 3:09pm On Apr 14, 2011
My suggestions for pre-order deals are go to a reputable law firm and contract them to be a mediator for the pre-order deal. Pay the money to the firm and if the dealer delivers on time that money should then be remitted to the dealer. In the case where the car hasn't been delivered on the specified date then the seller would be allowed to collect his money from the firm. Its as simple as, and i know lawyers that would do this for you for little money. Im sure buyers wouldn't mind paying a little extra change to have the peace of mind that their car is not gonna arrive in 6 months.

I have considered doing pre-order in the past and didn't do it because of the stories iv seen on NL about funny dealers. Personally i cant afford to be without a car for 2 months and given the fact that i would sell my car before i start the transaction this option is not viable for me unless there is that guarantee my car would arrive within 4 -5 weeks.

I have given this website in the past, exporttrader.com. They have cars advertised and they will ship to Nigeria without telling you funny stories and if you have to pre-order why not use inspired as he seems the most credible amongst the lot.
Re: How To Successfully Pre Order A Car On Nairaland ( For Buyers And Sellers ) by inspiredm(m): 7:48pm On Apr 17, 2011
Verbena & Rav 4, Thanks for the recommendations, I Appreciate them.

However, I have Moved the Posts to my Pre order Thread In Spirit of Fairness to other Sellers as this is a Thread that is Stickied

Thanks so Much and I appreciate. wink
Re: How To Successfully Pre Order A Car On Nairaland ( For Buyers And Sellers ) by inspiredm(m): 8:00pm On Apr 17, 2011
[size=15pt]TIP 2 FOR BUYERS
[/size]
Before Parting with Your Money for a Pre Order Transaction, Get a Contractual Agreements that Binds Both Buyer and Seller

The terms of the Transaction, Duration Of Delivery, Penalty(ies) If Any of the Party Defaults etc

Several Lawyers would draft this Agreement for a Small Fee/ Some Dealers Also have templates Laid Out already

All in All, get a Signed, Legally Binding AGREEMENT.
Re: How To Successfully Pre Order A Car On Nairaland ( For Buyers And Sellers ) by Busybody2(f): 8:29pm On Apr 17, 2011
No explanation for why my own "always innocent" post which was summing up the thread was removed lipsrsealed So it is true, women don't have a say in Nigeria and have to do as they are always directed by the men angry angry angry
Re: How To Successfully Pre Order A Car On Nairaland ( For Buyers And Sellers ) by ollins(m): 9:36am On Apr 18, 2011
This is a good topic i wonder why people are not particpating that much on it,i have been in the auto world now for 5 years and i can tell you that the business comes with its own harzards especially concerning the nigeria market,i ship cars to many other african countries and everything always goes smoothly but when it it comes to the nigeria market one has to be really carefull,the government has some blames too in this with their funny new charges that comes up at times at the port,no stability whatsoever ask any seansoned importer and he or she will tell you what am saying.
personally am not a great fan of the pre oder system,what i do at times is this,if a client indicates interest in a car and i dont have it in my stand in nigeria,i will source, buy and ship the car to lagos on my own expenses,as soon as the car arives the port,i will invite the buyer to come inspect and pay me for the car,this way i always have rest of mind, if the buyer defaults and this has happened to me many times i simply resale to the ride to someone else though this might take sometime and hold my money down,when i see some so called dealers here on nl giving gurantee of two weeks delivery i laugh,in reality you cant give gurantee until the ship has actually set sail for GOD sake,i have been in this business for 5 years so i know what am saying,honesty with buyers is the key to suceess in this business.when i say harzards come with this business there are times a car gets dents and bashes on the ship before it gets to lagos,there are some cars i have loaded intact from the source when i get to lagos i see dents and bashes,how do i then explain to the customer?these are some of the things we need to inform clients beforehand except if the car is given vip holding on the ship,i always go to great pains in explaing the risks involved to my customers cause to me name is more important than money.for anyone who wants to go into this business of pre order should his homework very well.nuff said
Re: How To Successfully Pre Order A Car On Nairaland ( For Buyers And Sellers ) by Piedpiper(m): 12:49pm On Apr 18, 2011
Monitor :oInspired na wao.
Thank you to Verbena and Rav and no word to me for asking you to remove those statements in the spirit of fairness?
Ok o. Good thing you removed them though!
Re: How To Successfully Pre Order A Car On Nairaland ( For Buyers And Sellers ) by inspiredm(m): 1:53pm On Apr 18, 2011
Piedpiper:

Monitor :oInspired na wao.
Thank you to Verbena and Rav and no word to me [/b]for asking you to remove those statements in the spirit of fairness?

[b]Piedpiper,

THANK YOU too. wink
Re: How To Successfully Pre Order A Car On Nairaland ( For Buyers And Sellers ) by mastro: 2:12pm On Apr 18, 2011
Quote from: Piedpiper on Today at 12:49:07 PM
Monitor  :oInspired na wao.
Thank you to Verbena and Rav and no word to me for asking you to remove those statements in the spirit of fairness?

Piedpiper,

THANK YOU too.  Wink

grin All you guys do know that anyone reading this thread will draw the correct conclusions from this conversation without ever seeing it tongue
Re: How To Successfully Pre Order A Car On Nairaland ( For Buyers And Sellers ) by 8inch: 4:58pm On Apr 18, 2011
This happened to a colleague of mine with a nairaland dealer.

After the car had been ordered and delivered to the nigerian ports, the dealer asked for the funds to clear the car (this was part of the original agreement).

After the dealer had collected the amount g he requested for, he came back again to demand an additional 80k, claiming that EFCC were at the ports and the money has increased (this was on a friday evening).

My friend did not buy the story and said he would find out from other agents and get back to him on monday since the port will not work on weekends. By monday, the dealer said he could not wait for monday because the car would have started to accumulate demorage (or something like that) of 10k per day so he used his money to clear it on saturday and my friend was now owing him.

Since the car was now in the dealers possession, my friend had no other option that to pay up.

Is this something that happens often in clearing cars or was my friend scammed by this dealer?
Re: How To Successfully Pre Order A Car On Nairaland ( For Buyers And Sellers ) by inspiredm(m): 5:13pm On Apr 18, 2011
8inch+:

This happened to a colleague of mine with a nairaland dealer.

After the car had been ordered and delivered to the nigerian ports, the dealer asked for the funds to clear the car (this was part of the original agreement).

After the dealer had collected the amount g he requested for, he came back again to demand an additional 80k, claiming that EFCC were at the ports and the money has increased (this was on a friday evening).

My friend did not buy the story and said he would find out from other agents and get back to him on monday since the port will not work on weekends. By monday, the dealer said he could not wait for monday because the car would have started to accumulate demorage (or something like that) of 10k per day  so he used his money to clear it on saturday and my friend was now owing him.

Since the car was now in the dealers possession, my friend had no other option that to pay up.

Is this something that happens often in clearing cars or was my friend scammed by this dealer?

Demurrhage charges are not more than 1,500 Naira Per day at the Ports.

That is So Unusual, EFCC has nothing to do with Customs Clearing Charges, What is the Year, Make and Model of the vehicle ?

There is a Price range for Clearing Every Vehicle, if you Provide these Info, We can tell you the range for Clearing, with that you will know if your friend was Scammed.

1 Like

Re: How To Successfully Pre Order A Car On Nairaland ( For Buyers And Sellers ) by 8inch: 5:19pm On Apr 18, 2011
2007 jeep liberty sport. Quote from dealer was 380k
Re: How To Successfully Pre Order A Car On Nairaland ( For Buyers And Sellers ) by inspiredm(m): 5:23pm On Apr 18, 2011
8inch+:

2007 jeep liberty sport. Quote from dealer was 380k

The Customs Clearing Range is between 320k - 350k for a 2007 Jeep Liberty.

Is the 380,000 Naira Inclusive of the "EFCC Charges" or 380k Without The Bogus Charges ?
Re: How To Successfully Pre Order A Car On Nairaland ( For Buyers And Sellers ) by 8inch: 5:26pm On Apr 18, 2011
inspired_m:

The Customs Clearing Range is between 320k - 350k for a 2007 Jeep Liberty.

Is the 380,000 Naira Inclusive of the "EFCC Charges" or 380k Without The Bogus Charges ?

Without the "Bogus" charges.
With the bogus charges, total amount was 460k sad
Re: How To Successfully Pre Order A Car On Nairaland ( For Buyers And Sellers ) by inspiredm(m): 5:31pm On Apr 18, 2011
8inch+:

Without the "Bogus" charges.
With the bogus charges, total amount was 460k  sad

Your friend has been Exploited.

Whats the name of the Dealer on Nairaland

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Meet SOFIA, World's Biggest Flying Observatory With A Flight Cost Of N35.9M/Hr / ➜ ➜➜FREE -FLOOD -DAMAGED VEHICLE CHECKS➜+234-806-036-5068➜ ➜➜ / 2013 Model Toyota Camry Toks Full Option For The Real Men

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.