Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,413 members, 7,815,925 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:07 PM

Are We Better Than Those Who Killed Jesus? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are We Better Than Those Who Killed Jesus? (247 Views)

Who Killed Jesus Christ? / Who Killed Jesus, His Father Or Satan. / CAC Living Water Daily Devotional 4/9/17 Are We Better Off? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Are We Better Than Those Who Killed Jesus? by CHIATECH: 11:54am On Mar 25, 2018
One word that readily comes to mind at the beginning of the Passion Narrative is Betrayal. What does it mean to be betrayed – sold away by a trusted friend; by a person who shares the same plate with you?
Have I betrayed people’s trust, told lies against them or leaked out certain secret information for the sake of money, fame, position or some privileges? Have I acted like Peter; bragging before people only to let them down in their absence?
Jesus took the disciples to the Garden of Gethsemane to pray but instead, they started sleeping. How deep and serious is my prayer life? Am I able to watch for one hour with Jesus every day? Do I command God to do my will in prayer instead of simply praying as Jesus prayed: “Let your will, not mine be done.”
Judas betrayed Jesus with a kiss, a symbol of love. Do I pretend to love people whereas I am killing them? Am I a friend by day and an enemy at night? Jesus told Peter not to fight with his sword. How do I treat my enemies? Eventually the disciples fled for their lives. Do I stick with my friends when things become rough or abandon them when it seems I can no longer benefit from them?
The Sanhedrin judged Jesus and convicted him of blasphemy. As an authority figure, how do I judge cases? Do I give a listening ear to the accused or simply follow the crowd in passing sentence? How do I react when I meet a mob action?
Both Peter and Judas realized their sins but while Peter came back to ask forgiveness, Judas went off to hang himself. Do I feel that my sins are too much or that God cannot forgive me? What I have done about my guilty conscience? Before the Governor, Jesus was silent. When I am accused of something I am innocent of, do I rush too quickly to defend myself?
The Governor asked the people to choose between Barabbas and Jesus but they rejected Jesus forgetting all the good things they had received from him in the past. To this day, the people of the world prefer evil to good. Do I also reject Jesus by consenting to sin?
Then comes Simon of Cyrene who was forced to carry the Cross with Jesus. How often have I helped others to carry their crosses? Am of the belief that I am to mind my business forgetting that it is part of my business as a Christian to love others as myself?
Many joined in mocking Jesus. Do I respect God and holy things? Do I insult God when I don’t answers to my prayers or see instant miracles? Jesus cried: “My God, my God why have you forsaken me.” Even God could forsake Jesus, who am I to assume I will always get what I want?
Even after the death of Jesus, the chief priests and Pharisees knowing fully well that Jesus had predicted his resurrection gathered before Pilate to ask for soldiers to guard the tomb. Do I believe more in military power than in the power of God?
Dear friends, at the end of my reflection, one thing that has struck me is that if the death of Jesus had happened in this very time, I might not act differently from the crowd, the disciples or the chief priests.
If you were around back then, what would you do differently? Whatever be your answer, go and live by it. Each time we sin, we crucify Jesus, let his Holy Week be another reminder and opportunity for us to repent, to love God more and to sacrifice ourselves for the good of others as Jesus did.
Isaiah prophesized about Christ how he would not speak or attack those who would crucify him. To really prove this prophesy right, Christ did just that, he humbled himself like a sheep being led to slaughter. As St. Paul tells the Philippians, let this Humility of Christ who forgot he was God inspire us to avoid bragging, feeling big or talking down on others who are not as privileged as we are.
HAPPY EASTER!!!

(1) (Reply)

Ayade Charges Nigerians To Emulate Christ At Easter / Introducing The School Of Ministry And Missions / God Loves Investing Than Saving

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.