Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,409 members, 7,830,061 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 03:41 PM

Now That The Black Panther Dust Is Settling, Lets Reason Together - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Now That The Black Panther Dust Is Settling, Lets Reason Together (721 Views)

Download The Black Panther 2018 Full Movie / Black Panther : Why Is Everyone Acting So Stupid? / See The Real Actress That Acted Dora Milaje In Avengers Black Panther (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Now That The Black Panther Dust Is Settling, Lets Reason Together by RealMillennial(m): 3:58pm On Mar 28, 2018
Why do most white superheroes have a real life city or country they come from or are identified with - Tony Stark, Spiderman, Captain America are all from New York, Bruce Banner from Ohio & I heard Dr Strange is from Canada - yet when the time came, they had to invent a whole African nation so the black superheroes can have an origin?
Is it a way to express a perceived implausibility of ever having a real life African nation capable of such ingenuity, even in a fictional world? Or maybe I'm missing something!
You know, a fictional, ultra-developed, non-corrupt Nigeria filled with geniuses would make a fine sentiment, even though we only see it on screen. And then our children would grow up to see that movie and ask us where that fictional Nigeria is and we'd tell them to build it if they want it.
Usually when these Sci-Fi movies are made, and capabilities not possible in the real world as at the time are being displayed, we watch them knowing they're not real, they're fiction. But then, because those capabilities and the people or organizations possessing them are associated with a real world entity (nation, city or organization), you somehow create the idea that there's a prospect for those abilities to be achieved in the real world by those real world entities portrayed.
Its a way of telling the people "This isn't real now, but it may be possible."
That way, ten year old New York boys grow up feeling they can be Tony Stark. They stay motivated.
And we know how certain concepts (mostly technological) that were mere fiction in the 60s and 70s are real world technology today.
So, creating something fictional about me that I cannot do yet and showing it in a work of art is, in a way, an expression of faith in me to be able to do something of that scale now or later.

This is the whole reason why it keeps pissing me off that instead of using Nigeria, Morocco, Egypt, South Africa, name it.. a non-existent Wakanda was invented for an African civilization to be portrayed.
Its a silent way of saying, "I don't see the prospect for something this advanced ever coming from these guys so I'll just manufacture a place not on the map."
Its a way of saying, "Since these are all sh*thole countries, lets create something non-sh*thole befitting this fictional legacy."

I don't know if my thinking is just too weird but that's how I see it - as one grand way to further an age old stereotype.
Yes, Black Panther featured black guys and chicks with powers. But on a deeper layer, its not an acknowledgment of the real world Africa, its more like a denial.
#WhereIsWakanda

1 Like

Re: Now That The Black Panther Dust Is Settling, Lets Reason Together by emae009(m): 4:14pm On Mar 28, 2018
the guy below me has a lot to say on #WhereIsWakanda
Re: Now That The Black Panther Dust Is Settling, Lets Reason Together by Nobody: 6:16pm On Mar 28, 2018
RealMillennial:
Why do most white superheroes have a real life city or country they come from or are identified with - Tony Stark, Spiderman, Captain America are all from New York, Bruce Banner from Ohio & I heard Dr Strange is from Canada - yet when the time came, they had to invent a whole African nation so the black superheroes can have an origin?
Is it a way to express a perceived implausibility of ever having a real life African nation capable of such ingenuity, even in a fictional world? Or maybe I'm missing something!
You know, a fictional, ultra-developed, non-corrupt Nigeria filled with geniuses would make a fine sentiment, even though we only see it on screen. And then our children would grow up to see that movie and ask us where that fictional Nigeria is and we'd tell them to build it if they want it.
Usually when these Sci-Fi movies are made, and capabilities not possible in the real world as at the time are being displayed, we watch them knowing they're not real, they're fiction. But then, because those capabilities and the people or organizations possessing them are associated with a real world entity (nation, city or organization), you somehow create the idea that there's a prospect for those abilities to be achieved in the real world by those real world entities portrayed.
Its a way of telling the people "This isn't real now, but it may be possible."
That way, ten year old New York boys grow up feeling they can be Tony Stark. They stay motivated.
And we know how certain concepts (mostly technological) that were mere fiction in the 60s and 70s are real world technology today.
So, creating something fictional about me that I cannot do yet and showing it in a work of art is, in a way, an expression of faith in me to be able to do something of that scale now or later.

This is the whole reason why it keeps pissing me off that instead of using Nigeria, Morocco, Egypt, South Africa, name it.. a non-existent Wakanda was invented for an African civilization to be portrayed.
Its a silent way of saying, "I don't see the prospect for something this advanced ever coming from these guys so I'll just manufacture a place not on the map."
Its a way of saying, "Since these are all sh*thole countries, lets create something non-sh*thole befitting this fictional legacy."

I don't know if my thinking is just too weird but that's how I see it - as one grand way to further an age old stereotype.
Yes, Black Panther featured black guys and chicks with powers. But on a deeper layer, its not an acknowledgment of the real world Africa, its more like a denial.
#WhereIsWakanda
I’m with you. This “Wakanda” thing is saying like Africa civilization can only be portrayed great through fictional stories/TV.

They should have made a move portraying the real and great civilizations that appeared in Africa like Ethiopia, Zimbabwe, Benin, Timbuktu, etc....

There is a good article explaining why we shouldn’t fall fictional Wakanda, but rather to appreciate the real and true black history. Here it’s, https://ghionjournal.com/greater-than-wakanda/amp/

1 Like

Re: Now That The Black Panther Dust Is Settling, Lets Reason Together by newguy1(m): 7:40pm On Mar 28, 2018
Op thank you so much for ur own observation, i got my too but not about the fictional africa country but about the story line and also with the way nigerian are so engrossed about the movie. To be frank I was dissapointed when I watched it , was actually thinking maybe 2 version came out and I am watching the later .also incomparison with other superheromovies I have seen of recent I think it rank the lowest.

1 Like

Re: Now That The Black Panther Dust Is Settling, Lets Reason Together by Jamesapex6(m): 9:12am On Mar 29, 2018
To be sincere the movie made me see Africa as a continent that need prayer, ooh the white try as much as possible to create a new Africa that is totally from our reach.
Re: Now That The Black Panther Dust Is Settling, Lets Reason Together by Nobody: 3:27pm On Mar 29, 2018
RealMillennial:
#WhereIsWakanda

Thanks for sharing

However, remember that even Black Panther is a Western creation (to the best of my knowledge)

So what else would we expect when someone else tells our "story"?

Let's hope this will challenge more of us to tell our own story, creating superheroes we can identify with.

Nice piece
Re: Now That The Black Panther Dust Is Settling, Lets Reason Together by RealMillennial(m): 10:49pm On Mar 29, 2018
CC: Lalasticlala Give this more audience lets know what Nigerians think.

(1) (Reply)

BBNaija: Gedoni & Khafi Seen Smooching On The Floor, Nigerians Say "This Is Much / Bbnaija2019: Tacha Rocks See-through Gown To Celebrate Her Twin’s Birthday / Bbnaija: Great Things Have Started Happening To Me Barely 24hours After Eviction

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.