Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,716 members, 7,809,711 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:44 PM

Oba Adbulrasheed Akanbi Dressed As Emir Of Iwoland While Sitting On Throne - Culture (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Oba Adbulrasheed Akanbi Dressed As Emir Of Iwoland While Sitting On Throne (81665 Views)

‘Queen Firdaus Of Iwoland’, Oluwo Unveils New Wife (Pictures) / Oluwo Of Iwoland, Akanbi, Named 6th Richest King, As He Reacts / Oluwo Of Iwoland, Akanbi, Dressed Casually To An Official Function (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oba Adbulrasheed Akanbi Dressed As Emir Of Iwoland While Sitting On Throne by toye440: 10:53pm On Apr 01, 2018
ediko5:

Very funny. May God forgive you because i don't want to lay curses on you this holy day.
U made a wise decision cos na my papa dey call prayers for Mountain of Fire and miracles, na to make sure say ur name top d list of prayer point.
Happy resurrection day. Learn to bless and not curse, only weak ppl curse, for God hath said He would curse anyone who curse me. Bro becareful o except if u wan enter arena with Jehovah God of War.
Re: Oba Adbulrasheed Akanbi Dressed As Emir Of Iwoland While Sitting On Throne by Nobody: 11:04pm On Apr 01, 2018
Clinton9000:
That's Afonjas for you...they are neither here nor there

AFONJAS-ETERNAL SLAVES TO THE NOUGHT......smh embarassed embarassed angry

1 Like

Re: Oba Adbulrasheed Akanbi Dressed As Emir Of Iwoland While Sitting On Throne by funstufz: 11:07pm On Apr 01, 2018
same way its none of urs

ayoxelee:

so when has it become urs
Re: Oba Adbulrasheed Akanbi Dressed As Emir Of Iwoland While Sitting On Throne by uncleade(m): 11:15pm On Apr 01, 2018
I haven’t adopted the title of an emir, Oluwo of Iwo says
Published April 1, 2018
Femi Makinde, Osogbo

The Oluwo of Iwo, Oba Abdul-Rasheed Akanbi, has denied adopting the title of an emir, contrary to media reports.

Speaking through his media aide, Mr. Ali Ibrahim, in a statement issued on Sunday, the Oluwo explained that he had never dropped the title of an Oba for an emir.

The monarch has been dressing like an emir and wearing turban occasionally and he again wore the turban on Saturday when he installed Yakub Abdul-Baqi Mohhamed the Waziri of Yorubaland in his palace in Iwo.

He installed the Waziri, allegedly despite the warning given to him by the League of Imams and Alfas in South West, Edo and Delta states, that he had no such powers to confer an Islamic title, which cuts across the entire South West, on anybody.

The statement read, “Oluwo has never adopted the Emir title; he only said he could also be called an Emir by the Hausas and ardent Muslims.

“Oba Akanbi is an Oba for the nation, with special attachment to the Yorubas. He promotes Yoruba culture to the admiration of many youths.

“Just because of Oluwo dress code today, many children are attracted to Yoruba culture of wearing aso ofi.

“I said so (reference to being an emir) to integrate Nigeria nation as an indivisible entity. All working tools are available for the integration and unity of our dear country.

“I’ve visited the North several times. Core Hausa hardly pronounce Yoruba words correctly. They call me emir when I am with them. Is there anything wrong in answering to such?

“Even, the Hausa in Iwo here call me emir. Will I stop them from addressing me as such?

“No, I am a father to the nation, being a first-class paramount ruler.”
Re: Oba Adbulrasheed Akanbi Dressed As Emir Of Iwoland While Sitting On Throne by shallysgirl: 11:33pm On Apr 01, 2018
Basic123:

emir is an Arabic word for a President or a leader.

you Christians are too ignorant.
Especially Igbo Christians

Although I am not in support of the oba move anyway!
Stop being deceitful or mentioning Igbos or Christians in your afonja slavery part 2
Re: Oba Adbulrasheed Akanbi Dressed As Emir Of Iwoland While Sitting On Throne by LarryBee1k: 12:05am On Apr 02, 2018
Bless you
Re: Oba Adbulrasheed Akanbi Dressed As Emir Of Iwoland While Sitting On Throne by TheKingIsHere: 12:07am On Apr 02, 2018
uncleade:
I haven’t adopted the title of an emir, Oluwo of Iwo says
Published April 1, 2018
Femi Makinde, Osogbo

The Oluwo of Iwo, Oba Abdul-Rasheed Akanbi, has denied adopting the title of an emir, contrary to media reports.

Speaking through his media aide, Mr. Ali Ibrahim, in a statement issued on Sunday, the Oluwo explained that he had never dropped the title of an Oba for an emir.

The monarch has been dressing like an emir and wearing turban occasionally and he again wore the turban on Saturday when he installed Yakub Abdul-Baqi Mohhamed the Waziri of Yorubaland in his palace in Iwo.

He installed the Waziri, allegedly despite the warning given to him by the League of Imams and Alfas in South West, Edo and Delta states, that he had no such powers to confer an Islamic title, which cuts across the entire South West, on anybody.

The statement read, “Oluwo has never adopted the Emir title; he only said he could also be called an Emir by the Hausas and ardent Muslims.

“Oba Akanbi is an Oba for the nation, with special attachment to the Yorubas. He promotes Yoruba culture to the admiration of many youths.

“Just because of Oluwo dress code today, many children are attracted to Yoruba culture of wearing aso ofi.

“I said so (reference to being an emir) to integrate Nigeria nation as an indivisible entity. All working tools are available for the integration and unity of our dear country.

“I’ve visited the North several times. Core Hausa hardly pronounce Yoruba words correctly. They call me emir when I am with them. Is there anything wrong in answering to such?

“Even, the Hausa in Iwo here call me emir. Will I stop them from addressing me as such?

“No, I am a father to the nation, being a first-class paramount ruler.”

He should tell us why he is dressed like a northern Emir and no longer dresses as a yoruba Oba?

Re: Oba Adbulrasheed Akanbi Dressed As Emir Of Iwoland While Sitting On Throne by mathinips(m): 12:15am On Apr 02, 2018
Basic123:

Oba is Yoruba word, must we use Arabic word for our King?

Let me asked where have you hear that the Arab call their own king with a Yoruba language?

Africans grow up, stop being slave. Start freeing urself small small. Don't go deeper into modern slavery
Re: Oba Adbulrasheed Akanbi Dressed As Emir Of Iwoland While Sitting On Throne by Nobody: 12:19am On Apr 02, 2018
Actually, Oba is an Edo word. It is the title of the Emperor of the Benin empire.
Oluwo is a yoruba word.
mathinips:

Let me asked where have you hear that the Arab call their own king with a Yoruba language?

Africans grow up, stop being slave. Start freeing urself small small. Don't go deeper into modern slavery
Re: Oba Adbulrasheed Akanbi Dressed As Emir Of Iwoland While Sitting On Throne by Nobody: 12:20am On Apr 02, 2018
Actually, Oba is an Edo word. It is the title of the Emperor of the Benin empire.
Oluwo is a yoruba word, I think.
mathinips:

Re: Oba Adbulrasheed Akanbi Dressed As Emir Of Iwoland While Sitting On Throne by olaniyi50(m): 12:49am On Apr 02, 2018
seniorkachion:

Emir is not traditional but religious. It means the ruler in a Muslim community. It came into being after the Mohammedan jihad and creation of caliphates.
I agree with you, but I'd prefer to say "ruler in an Arab country". Most Muslims are Arab, but most Arabs are not Muslims.
Re: Oba Adbulrasheed Akanbi Dressed As Emir Of Iwoland While Sitting On Throne by makky555(f): 1:24am On Apr 02, 2018
Basic123:

He just asked a simple question and you're insulting not just a tribe but also a religion...

Hate full your body lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed tueh!!!

1 Like

Re: Oba Adbulrasheed Akanbi Dressed As Emir Of Iwoland While Sitting On Throne by Ceazario: 9:35am On Apr 02, 2018
Basic123:

And you are from the lineage of dullards for being a Muslim. Must you be stupid when passing your message? Muslim mumu.
Re: Oba Adbulrasheed Akanbi Dressed As Emir Of Iwoland While Sitting On Throne by Jerrypolo(m): 10:15am On Apr 02, 2018
Basic123:

Oba is a Yoruba traditional tittle given to a lead, king and representative of the people at the local assembly. Having made this clear, my question is, will the Emir of Kano jettison his tittle for another nomenclature?. Will his subjects react negatively? Will you comment with this same I have quoted?.

Don't be hypocritical and or wanting political correctness. Seek truth only and hunt with its special sword for game abound in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Oba Adbulrasheed Akanbi Dressed As Emir Of Iwoland While Sitting On Throne by fk001(m): 10:52am On Apr 02, 2018
[quote author=tbarrister post=66346324][/quote]

"Mai" is a kanuri word for a ruler

Just like "Kura" is referred to as big in kanuri "E.G Kankura, Bakura, yakura...

I stayed in Borno for long Mr, I know the in and out of Maiduguri
Re: Oba Adbulrasheed Akanbi Dressed As Emir Of Iwoland While Sitting On Throne by Nowenuse: 12:36pm On Apr 02, 2018
fk001:

Emir of Jos is a Christian and he takes the title "Emir"

There are a lot of kings from Christian minorities tribes in the North with the title "Emir"

But what the Emir of Osun did was uncalled, to be honest is a slap on Yoruba face

Are you sure that you are mentally stable? Since when did Jos have an Emir? Are you the one that turbanned him? Pls learn to keep shut if you know nothing!

Jos has only the GBON GWOM JOS as a traditional ruler.

Never you attach the word JOS and EMIR in the same sentence. What an insult!
Re: Oba Adbulrasheed Akanbi Dressed As Emir Of Iwoland While Sitting On Throne by Nowenuse: 12:41pm On Apr 02, 2018
wingmanII:

Never heard of emir of Jos. They have Bongwam Jos or something of that nature.

Don't mind that foolish fellow spreading lies all over.
Perhaps he was the one who turbanned an Emir in Jos.

It is GBON GWOM JOS. Jos never had any relationship with an emirate
Re: Oba Adbulrasheed Akanbi Dressed As Emir Of Iwoland While Sitting On Throne by Nowenuse: 12:48pm On Apr 02, 2018
igbodefender:

The title of the ruler of Jos is Gbpm Gwom, as in Gnam Gwom Jos [insert name].

But I sha get your point.

There is no point for you to get there!

Jos king has no relationship whatsoever with an Emir. Likewise Borno king. That foreign nonsense Emir title was brought by Danfodio and Danfodio never conquered Jos-Plateau nor Borno.
Re: Oba Adbulrasheed Akanbi Dressed As Emir Of Iwoland While Sitting On Throne by Nowenuse: 12:54pm On Apr 02, 2018
fk001:

Have you ever heard of "Ganwari of Ganye" he is also addressed as Emir but locally his people address him as Ganwari

Gangwari Ganye is an entirely different case here!

What about Hamma Bachama in the same Adamawa state, can you dare go an call him Emir?

Not all northern tribes buy into that nonsense Emirate title.
Can you go to Wukari and adress the Aku Uka Wukaari as Emir and see if Jukuns will not remove your head? What about Attah of Igala land in Kogi?

The fact that some northern tribes threw away their identity for a fulani imported identity does not mean that all did. Know the boundaries.

3 Likes

Re: Oba Adbulrasheed Akanbi Dressed As Emir Of Iwoland While Sitting On Throne by ayoxelee(m): 1:03pm On Apr 02, 2018
funstufz:
same way its none of urs
exactly and I ain't taking it on my head like you
Re: Oba Adbulrasheed Akanbi Dressed As Emir Of Iwoland While Sitting On Throne by Nowenuse: 1:09pm On Apr 02, 2018
olaniyi50:
I agree with you, but I'd prefer to say "ruler in an Arab country". Most Muslims are Arab, but most Arabs are not Muslims.

You are very wrong. Most muslims are not Arabs to begin with. The Indian subcontinent (India, Pakistan and Bangladesh) has around 600 million muslims combined and they are not Arabs nor do they have any relationship with Arabs.
Infact they are more than both Arab muslims and christians combined.

Indonesia is the largest muslim country in the world and they are not arabs. Their culture is even closer to chinese culture than Arabic culture.

Even in the middle east, there are over 100 millions muslims who are persian, Kurdish and Turkish and are not Arabs in any way.

What about Central Asia and the Caucus where you Azeris, Tajiks, Turkmens, Kazakhs, Uzbeks, Chechens etc who are muslims and have no relationship whatsoever with Arabs? What about Eastern European muslims like Bosnians? Albanians?

Infact, Arabs are not up to half of the muslim population worldwide. They should be around 30%.
Re: Oba Adbulrasheed Akanbi Dressed As Emir Of Iwoland While Sitting On Throne by fk001(m): 1:11pm On Apr 02, 2018
Nowenuse:

What about Hamma Bachama in the same Adamawa state, can you dare go an call him Emir?

Can you go to Wukari and adress the Aku Uka Wukaari as Emir and see if Jukuns will not remove your head? What about Attah of Igala land in Kogi?

The fact that some northern tribes threw away their identity for a fulani imported identity does not mean that all did. Know the boundaries.

Whatever
Re: Oba Adbulrasheed Akanbi Dressed As Emir Of Iwoland While Sitting On Throne by computergenius(m): 1:39pm On Apr 02, 2018
Kasa! Abomination! Heresy! Sacrilege! The ancestors of the yoruba are turning in their graves right now at the action of this fool calling himself emir of iwoland. This fool thinks the democratic monarchy or kingships called Oba in yorubaland is the same as the mad tyrants and absolute totalitarian monarchs called Emirs and Sultants in the North. This is a bad omen. This man is ignorant of history. May his ancestors punish him for this sacrilege. May his ancestors who fought hard to prevent domination by the fulani muslims and prevent islamization of yorubaland punish this man for his treachery. If Yoruba Obas are quarreling among them it is because they are at least trying to tell each other the truth to bring out improvement in Yorubaland, something that does not happen in the north because a few people have successfully enslaved the entire population.
Ah! Ife the place of origin of the Yoruba. Anytime a serious problem is going to affect yorubaland it always starts from Ife. The ancestors of the yoruba developed a system of democratic monarchial rule called Oba. This system was so successful that at one point in african history the two yoruba empires of Oyo empire and Benin empire were the largest in Africa spanning many countries in west africa including Benin and Togo and parts of Ghana. Why was the Oba system so successful? Because it was more democratic than other leadership systems present in Africa at the time. A Yoruba Oba is not an absolute monarch. The powers of the Oba are controlled to allow freedom of speech and prevent them from turning into tyrants. A master-slave relationship does not exist between a yoruba Oba and his people unlike the Emirs and Sultans in the North that turn their own people to total slaves. An Oba has a council of senatorial chiefs called Oloyes that take decisions. The council includes his chief political advicers (otun and osi) and his chief military commanders (Balogun and Bashorun and Akogun) and economic advisers Alaje and Iyalode. The real power is in the hand of his council of chiefs as the Oba cannot change their decision but must abide with it. If he cannot abide with it he must commit suicide. The yoruba Oba is not above the law of the land. If he commits murder or sleeps with another mans wife he will be detroned and exiled or killed. An Oba cannot sentence an accused to death without the council of chiefs giving fair trial to the accused. On the other hand an Emir or Sultan is an absolute monarch with Absolute power to kill to steal and do as he likes without restraint. Many modern yoruba kings are hidding behind religion and are now trying to change this traditions for selfish reasons and to transform themselves to absolute monarchs that can do anything they want without restraint by the people.

1 Like

Re: Oba Adbulrasheed Akanbi Dressed As Emir Of Iwoland While Sitting On Throne by olaniyi50(m): 1:58pm On Apr 02, 2018
Nowenuse:

You are very wrong. Most muslims are not Arabs to begin with. The Indian subcontinent (India, Pakistan and Bangladesh) has around 600 million muslims combined and they are not Arabs nor do they have any relationship with Arabs.
Infact they are more than both Arab muslims and christians combined.

Indonesia is the largest muslim country in the world and they are not arabs. Their culture is even closer to chinese culture than Arabic culture.

Even in the middle east, there are over 100 millions muslims who are persian, Kurdish and Turkish and are not Arabs in any way.

What about Central Asia and the Caucus where you Azeris, Tajiks, Turkmens, Kazakhs, Uzbeks, Chechens etc who are muslims and have no relationship whatsoever with Arabs? What about Eastern European muslims like Bosnians? Albanians?

Infact, Arabs are not up to half of the muslim population worldwide. They should be around 30%.
"Arabs are not up to half of the muslim population worldwide. They should be around 30%."

The above, is what I was driving at with my mention earlier. 'Emir' is a Title used by Arabs, and not by Muslims.

My first post was euphemism. I was indirectly telling the guy not to be a bigot.
Thanks for the info.

1 Like

Re: Oba Adbulrasheed Akanbi Dressed As Emir Of Iwoland While Sitting On Throne by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:44pm On Apr 02, 2018
Nowenuse:

Well said.
Re: Oba Adbulrasheed Akanbi Dressed As Emir Of Iwoland While Sitting On Throne by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:49pm On Apr 02, 2018
computergenius:
Kasa! Abomination! Heresy! Sacrilege! The ancestors of the yoruba are turning in their graves right now at the action of this fool calling himself emir of iwoland. This fool thinks the democratic monarchy or kingships called Oba in yorubaland is the same as the mad tyrants and absolute totalitarian monarchs called Emirs and Sultants in the North. This is a bad omen. This man is ignorant of history. May his ancestors punish him for this sacrilege. May his ancestors who fought hard to prevent domination by the fulani muslims and prevent islamization of yorubaland punish this man for his treachery. If Yoruba Obas are quarreling among them it is because they are at least trying to tell each other the truth to bring out improvement in Yorubaland, something that does not happen in the north because a few people have successfully enslaved the entire population.
Ah! Ife the place of origin of the Yoruba. Anytime a serious problem is going to affect yorubaland it always starts from Ife. The ancestors of the yoruba developed a system of democratic monarchial rule called Oba. This system was so successful that at one point in african history the two yoruba empires of Oyo empire and Benin empire were the largest in Africa spanning many countries in west africa including Benin and Togo and parts of Ghana. Why was the Oba system so successful? Because it was more democratic than other leadership systems present in Africa at the time. A Yoruba Oba is not an absolute monarch. The powers of the Oba are controlled to allow freedom of speech and prevent them from turning into tyrants. A master-slave relationship does not exist between a yoruba Oba and his people unlike the Emirs and Sultans in the North that turn their own people to total slaves. An Oba has a council of senatorial chiefs called Oloyes that take decisions. The council includes his chief political advicers (otun and osi) and his chief military commanders (Balogun and Bashorun and Akogun) and economic advisers Alaje and Iyalode. The real power is in the hand of his council of chiefs as the Oba cannot change their decision but must abide with it. If he cannot abide with it he must commit suicide. The yoruba Oba is not above the law of the land. If he commits murder or sleeps with another mans wife he will be detroned and exiled or killed. An Oba cannot sentence an accused to death without the council of chiefs giving fair trial to the accused. On the other hand an Emir or Sultan is an absolute monarch with Absolute power to kill to steal and do as he likes without restraint. Many modern yoruba kings are hidding behind religion and are now trying to change this traditions for selfish reasons and to transform themselves to absolute monarchs that can do anything they want without restraint by the people.

The Orisa bless you for this informative writeup. Ase Olodumare!
Re: Oba Adbulrasheed Akanbi Dressed As Emir Of Iwoland While Sitting On Throne by Captain8(m): 9:20pm On Apr 02, 2018
fk001:

cheesy lol the problem is 98% of Iwo people love their king.
lol how things na
Re: Oba Adbulrasheed Akanbi Dressed As Emir Of Iwoland While Sitting On Throne by tbarrister(m): 9:26pm On Apr 02, 2018
fk001:

"Mai" is a kanuri word for a ruler

Just like "Kura" is referred to as big in kanuri "E.G Kankura, Bakura, yakura...

I stayed in Borno for long Mr, I know the in and out of Maiduguri
Mr , you can't address the monarch of borno as " MAI" but "sheu", the elkanemi dynasty ended the reigns of the mai's and so will take it as a personal insult , and yes I've also lived in Maiduguri and we are close to the royal family
Re: Oba Adbulrasheed Akanbi Dressed As Emir Of Iwoland While Sitting On Throne by Nobody: 9:38pm On Apr 02, 2018
Kindly take Benin empire out of your write-up. We are not yoruba!!! Stop adding us to your nonesense.
You are a little bit confused, monarchy and democratie are two different things.
What you yorubas have are not monarchies, you have chairmen who get elected by some other chairmen.
The title Oba doesn't belong to you guys, it belongs to the Benin empire.
And Omo n'Oba n'Edo is a real king. He is not elected, his father is the previous King and he inherits the throne of his father.
The next Omo n'Oba n'Edo is already known.
He is the first son of the current Omo n'Oba n'Edo.
The ooni of ife who became prime minister of the western region in the colonial era is the first yoruba to copy the title Oba.
Soon after that, all yoruba chiefs copied it.
You guys really need to stop your story telling and focus on actual facts.
The Benin empire had large swarths of the south-west and south-east in it, it has never been a yoruba empire, it is an Edo empire.
I would advise you yoruba to look up the word monarchy. You don't seem to understand what it is at all.
I really don't know what you are describing below, but I guess you are using your imagination, I just hope you don't confuse what you are writing with reality. Anyway, talk about your yoruba people and leave us Edo alone, we do not function as you said. Our monarchy is a real one with a King whose power is absolute (just like any real king). If you hate monarchy so much then perharps you should stop calling your chairmen "Kings" and stop calling your "democratic villages" kingdoms !

computergenius:
Re: Oba Adbulrasheed Akanbi Dressed As Emir Of Iwoland While Sitting On Throne by fk001(m): 10:51pm On Apr 02, 2018
tbarrister:
Mr , you can't address the monarch of borno as " MAI" but "sheu", the elkanemi dynasty ended the reigns of the mai's and so will take it as a personal insult , and yes I've also lived in Maiduguri and we are close to the royal family

Wani anguwa kake a maid, kuma wani family kake nufi?

Will like to know you
Re: Oba Adbulrasheed Akanbi Dressed As Emir Of Iwoland While Sitting On Throne by fk001(m): 11:11pm On Apr 02, 2018
tbarrister:

of course we all know Emir of Borno is referred as Shehu.

There is nothing like insult if you call the Emir "Mai"

I stayed in Shehuri for long my friend, i know what i am saying.

Thou i am always a traveler, but i know in and out of Shehu's palace

That's why i said, i want to know you more.
Re: Oba Adbulrasheed Akanbi Dressed As Emir Of Iwoland While Sitting On Throne by tbarrister(m): 1:11am On Apr 03, 2018
[quote author=fk001 post=66383019]

of course we all know Emir of Borno is referred as Shehu.

There is nothing like insult if you call the Emir "Mai"

I stayed in Shehuri for long my friend, i know what i am saying.

Thou i am always a traveler, but i know in and out of Shehu's palace

That's why i said, i want to know you more. still bro you can't refer to them as emirs either, the elkanemis repelled the Fulani jihadists and so are not part of the emirate, all this terms are very important to note, I'll like to know you more too sir

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Before You Marry Idoma Girl: Important Things You Must Know / Names Of Animals,insects And Birds In Hausa. / Abdulrasheed Akanbi And Chanel Chin Divorced! Oluwo Of Iwo Divorces Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.