Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,851 members, 7,820,965 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:29 AM

Mikel Obi Doubtful For World Cup? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Mikel Obi Doubtful For World Cup? (3489 Views)

Cahill & Costa Doubtful For Arsenal Clash / Oshoala: Ikorodu Stands Still For World Cup Heroine / Messi Doubtful For Barcelona Opener (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mikel Obi Doubtful For World Cup? by blank(f): 6:00pm On May 06, 2010
Mikel blow for Chelsea

Thursday 6 May 2010

Chelsea midfielder John Obi Mikel will miss the FA Cup final against Portsmouth on 15 May after undergoing minor knee surgery.
The Nigerian, who will also miss the final Premier League game of the season against Wigan on Sunday, has not played for three weeks because of the injury.
A Chelsea statement read: "John Mikel Obi has undergone minor knee surgery and will take no part in Sunday's final Barclays Premier League match nor the FA Cup final.
"The operation is due to an injury suffered when fouled by Bolton's Kevin Davies last month and subsequently led to Mikel's early substitution at Tottenham the following match."

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/clubfootball/news/newsid=1206331.html?cid=rssfeed&att=

I just read this story and it has made me worried. Will he be fit in time for the world cup?
Re: Mikel Obi Doubtful For World Cup? by Iyineda(m): 6:46pm On May 06, 2010
He said himself that he will be fit in 2 weeks time. I'm counting on him. wink
Re: Mikel Obi Doubtful For World Cup? by Tattooboy: 11:51pm On May 06, 2010
Watever i dont bout Mikel's fitness or not all i need is Jay Jay in dat weak midfield.
Re: Mikel Obi Doubtful For World Cup? by chidichris(m): 6:41am On May 07, 2010
@poster,
nothing to worry about. mikel will be in sa.
it was a minor operation that can only keep him out of last premier league match and the fa cup final.
Re: Mikel Obi Doubtful For World Cup? by SleekReek(m): 1:13pm On May 07, 2010
I just read this story and it has made me worried. Will he be fit in time for the world cup?

@Blank Being fit is a function of the matches he plays,by the time he is fully ready to play the season would have finished,so the matches he would play will be the friendlies we hope will take place and the trainings in camp.

It will really be a gamble but lets keep our fingers crossed.He may go but may not start the first match
Re: Mikel Obi Doubtful For World Cup? by Ay642000(m): 1:21pm On May 07, 2010
I'm positive obi will b back
Re: Mikel Obi Doubtful For World Cup? by deb(m): 3:23pm On May 07, 2010
We won't even miss him if he does not make it to the world cup.
Siasia went all the way to the Olympic final without him and the truth is Mikel does not
bring anything special to the S.Eagles not anymore
Re: Mikel Obi Doubtful For World Cup? by Iyineda(m): 4:19pm On May 07, 2010
^^^ I hope Mikel Obi proves you wrong.
Re: Mikel Obi Doubtful For World Cup? by Nobody: 5:57pm On May 07, 2010
@ topic : Mikel Obi Doubtful For World Cup?

thank you God!!!!!!!!!
Re: Mikel Obi Doubtful For World Cup? by Kgdavid(m): 9:22pm On May 07, 2010
Sleek Reek:

@Blank Being fit is a function of the matches he plays,by the time he is fully ready to play the season would have finished,so the matches he would play will be the friendlies we hope will take place and the trainings in camp.

It will really be a gamble but lets keep our fingers crossed.He may go but may not start the first match

you must differentiate between physical fitness and match fitness. physical fitnes has nothing to do with playing games, that can gained in the gym and in training. match fitness has to do with sharpness, reaction, touch on the ball and all those little nitty gritty details. how much fitness will he lose after a mere three week injury? one game will set him right as far as match fitness is concerned and three weeks is not enough to erode mikels reserves of stamina.

deb:

We won't even miss him if he does not make it to the world cup.
Siasia went all the way to the Olympic final without him and the truth is Mikel does not
bring anything special to the S.Eagles not anymore

true but we have a new coach who might just decide to use him in his proper position. lets wait and see. i am convinced playing mikel as a deep lying play maker will yield dividends for us.
Re: Mikel Obi Doubtful For World Cup? by ObamaUS: 4:51am On May 08, 2010
who cares?as if we are going to win the world cup with him, He's just an overated rugby player, good riddance to bad rubbsih
Re: Mikel Obi Doubtful For World Cup? by chidichris(m): 6:44am On May 08, 2010
who cares?as if we are going to win the world cup with him, He's just an overated rugby player, good riddance to bad rubbsih

@ObamaUS,
u sound more like a native doctor.
mind u, mikel is our next captain.
the more u suffer and languish in jealous and envy, the more he grow from strenght to strenght.
by the way, who told u rugby players are not making it in life?
Re: Mikel Obi Doubtful For World Cup? by abrahym(m): 8:18am On May 08, 2010
I dnt think 9ja need him, he only play well for chelsea
Re: Mikel Obi Doubtful For World Cup? by day0(m): 11:01am On May 08, 2010
What's the big deal? i don't have an atom of confidence in that chap angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Mikel Obi Doubtful For World Cup? by HORNET: 11:15am On May 08, 2010
@poster, why are you worried? Mikel will not make miracles for us at the world cup. he's not yet that probing player we want him to be. all he does is pass backwards to the keeper! WTH is that.
Re: Mikel Obi Doubtful For World Cup? by ochukoccna: 12:02pm On May 08, 2010
Kgdavid:

true but we have a new coach who might just decide to use him in his proper position. lets wait and see. i am convinced playing mikel as a deep lying play maker will yield dividends for us.
What happened when Ancelotti deployed him there earlier in the season? undecided undecided undecided
Re: Mikel Obi Doubtful For World Cup? by munky(m): 12:39pm On May 08, 2010
BELIEVE IT OR NOT MIKEL IS THE ONLY NIGERIAN PLAYER IN A TOP EUROPEAN TEAM GUARANTEED A STARTING PLACE WHEN FIT,
OLYMPICS IS NOT WORLD CUP, EVEN NATIONS CUP IS NOT COMPARABLE TO OLYMPICS,
BY THE WAY, WHO WAS THE BEST NIGERIAN PLAYER IN THE LAST NATIONS CUP OR WORLD CUP QUALIFIERS,

BLAME AMODU 4 FIELDING A RUBBISH TEAM NOT MIKEL,
Re: Mikel Obi Doubtful For World Cup? by 12large: 12:56pm On May 08, 2010
chidicris, you say mikel is our next captain, i say lai la that won cannot happen. so we should give mikel captain for missing nigeria games and disobeying siasia, or we should give mikel captain for playing 150 games and not scoring any goal. who can mikel even inspire in nigeria, yes he probably can inspire people on how to pass the ball sideways and backwards. just look at lukman, he plays as a support striker,defensive midfilder but he scores goals and attack he is better than mikel. remember is not about where you play for, but it is about how good you are. playing for a big club would not be a big deal if the player keeps playing bad all the time
Re: Mikel Obi Doubtful For World Cup? by MeGaStReEt: 1:02pm On May 08, 2010
na wa oo

Bad belle just full everwhere
Re: Mikel Obi Doubtful For World Cup? by knice(m): 1:38pm On May 08, 2010
Without Mikel in that midfield, who do we have that can distribute to balls, give accurate passes with vision. You guys are stupidly jeolous. You don't value your own, how can we move forward? stop bending the truth.
Re: Mikel Obi Doubtful For World Cup? by 12large: 1:39pm On May 08, 2010
megashritt who has bad belle, have you ever seen me talk bad about osaze,obasi,ike uche why, because they are good players but mikel lai lai. just look at yakubu aiyebenni do you know that it was shaibu amodu thta took aiyebenni to isreal, amodu even made 200,000 from yakubu deal so he was repaying him in nations cup by playing yakubu. just the way i researched that and found who knows may be mikel even gives amodu money, because siasia would not tolerate his sidepass/back pass type of football.
Re: Mikel Obi Doubtful For World Cup? by 12large: 1:42pm On May 08, 2010
knice without mikel we have haruna lukman, and i would bet anybody, on his current form lukman is a better player than 150 games no goals. kalu uche can be a good player too, if he can play th way he played against france and ireland he is also good replacement for mikel
Re: Mikel Obi Doubtful For World Cup? by onyengbu1(m): 2:00pm On May 08, 2010
Mikel will not be missed at all.

Infact it is even good news if he misses world cup. How else can we try out better players like lukman.
Even Osaze does the distribution thing as well as attack better than mikel.

Why is it only chelsea players that sees Mikel as good. Yes he was good but that was then. Now all he does is pass backwards. No more confidence. What is he going to add to that already weak team.

And someone is talking about future captain?! Anyway, anything is possible in naija.
Re: Mikel Obi Doubtful For World Cup? by PurestBoy(m): 2:20pm On May 08, 2010
Mikel is a good riddance to bad rubbish. I'll be happy if he missed this world cup and other future Nigeria's matches until he retires from his backpassing type of football he plays
Re: Mikel Obi Doubtful For World Cup? by Kgdavid(m): 3:10pm On May 08, 2010
it would be a mistake to write off mikel. that guy has great ball skills.he needs to be used properly. i would say that people need to watch him play for chelsea andreally watch closely what he does. however haruna lukman is the future of nigeria. i have said it so many times(not necessarily on NL), while rabiu was dazzling people with skills i was noticing haruna's impeccable passes, surging runs and powerful shots. mikel and haruna are similar inn one aspect which is that they are very highly skilled technically. you hardly see an inaccurate pass from either player particularly haruna.
Re: Mikel Obi Doubtful For World Cup? by hayyah(m): 3:30pm On May 08, 2010
the guy is not committed to his father's land. see how he plays for Chelsea and how he plays for Nigeria. i think i like it that way, coz there are other young talent out there who want to show their stuff, so give them chance grin
Re: Mikel Obi Doubtful For World Cup? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 4:08pm On May 08, 2010
Rather than worry too about his recovery and fitness before the World Cup, we should consider an alternative and start running him through his paces for the central Mid-field. let us not say that Mikel's injury cost us the World Cup Finals (if we do not get past the first round beasties)
Re: Mikel Obi Doubtful For World Cup? by folahann(m): 5:22pm On May 08, 2010
what is it about Mikel, he's not even influential to the team. HE's a below average player
Re: Mikel Obi Doubtful For World Cup? by Akosbaba(m): 5:24pm On May 08, 2010
Dickson Etuhu is better than this guy in defensive midfield cos he releases the ball more and jay jay can't comeback cos it's been almost a year since he last played active football,rabiu ibrahim is a better option.
Re: Mikel Obi Doubtful For World Cup? by Akosbaba(m): 5:25pm On May 08, 2010
Dickson Etuhu is better than this guy in defensive midfield cos he releases the ball more and jay jay can't comeback cos it's been almost a year since he last played active football,rabiu ibrahim is a better option.
Re: Mikel Obi Doubtful For World Cup? by utotomi50(m): 5:50pm On May 08, 2010
I knew some bad news was going to come up eventually. Prepare for some more excuses before the world cup. grin
Re: Mikel Obi Doubtful For World Cup? by chamotex(m): 5:59pm On May 08, 2010
This is goodnews for the Nigerian team

(1) (2) (Reply)

Where Can I Enjoy Extreme Sports Like Jet Skis, Bungee Jumping In Nigeria? / Footballer,emmanuel Adebayor Shows Off His Cars On Instagram(photos) / Who Is The Best Ronaldo?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.