Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,115 members, 7,814,915 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:18 PM

My Car Odometer Is Not Changing - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Car Odometer Is Not Changing (2115 Views)

What Is The Highest Car Odometer Reading You Have Seen? / 2009 Nissan Altima Belgium With CVT Help!!! My Car Drives But Gear Not Changing. / Highlander 2006 Model, Gear Not Changing After Changing Shaft (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Car Odometer Is Not Changing by MrLatin1: 5:09pm On Apr 01, 2018
I bought a 2007corolla last year from copart with 14k plus mileage as stated on their site but when the car got to Nigeria, what i saw was 299,999 as the mileage and it has not changed since then. Only the Trip A and B changes. What could have been the problem?
Re: My Car Odometer Is Not Changing by SienaGbudje: 6:43pm On Apr 01, 2018
The plastic gears that turn the analog odometer have a high tendency to break, which causes the odometer to stop spinning.

If both your odometer and speedometer are not working, then it's likely your speed sensor needs to be replaced. These are easily installed and located near the back of your transmission.
Re: My Car Odometer Is Not Changing by MrLatin1: 6:47pm On Apr 01, 2018
SienaGbudje:
The plastic gears that turn the analog odometer have a high tendency to break, which causes the odometer to stop spinning.

If both your odometer and speedometer are not working, then it's likely your speed sensor needs to be replaced. These are easily installed and located near the back of your transmission.

Thanks. Still expecting others to comment
Re: My Car Odometer Is Not Changing by lourash(m): 9:18pm On Apr 01, 2018
I had this experience before and what i read then was that the corolla 2003-2008 's odometers stops recording at 299,999 Miles
Re: My Car Odometer Is Not Changing by autologic: 11:59pm On Apr 01, 2018
MrLatin1:
I bought a 2007corolla last year from copart with 14k plus mileage as stated on their site but when the car got to Nigeria, what i saw was 299,999 as the mileage and it has not changed since then. Only the Trip A and B changes. What could have been the problem?
Just change the instrument cluster ,your odometer has max out.
Re: My Car Odometer Is Not Changing by bravolad(m): 5:32am On Apr 02, 2018
MrLatin1:

Are you sure about buying the car from copart? This is a case of odometer rollback which I strongly doubt copart will ever attempt. You may have bought the car from some unscrupulous dealer who tampered with the mileage in other to get a better value.

On the issue about your odometer stuck at 299,999; It appears to be a design feature for some models of corolla & matrix. Research suggests it's a software snag that prevents the digital odometer form displaying beyond 299,999 kilometers. There are procedures to remove this but not sure where you can do this in Nigeria.
Re: My Car Odometer Is Not Changing by MrLatin1: 7:12am On Apr 02, 2018
autologic:

Just change the instrument cluster ,your odometer has max out.
Do you an idea of how much this cost?
Re: My Car Odometer Is Not Changing by MrLatin1: 7:15am On Apr 02, 2018
bravolad:

Are you sure about buying the car from copart? This is a case of odometer rollback which I strongly doubt copart will ever attempt. You may have bought the car from some unscrupulous dealer who tampered with the mileage in other to get a better value.

On the issue about your odometer stuck at 299,999; It appears to be a design feature for some models of corolla & matrix. Research suggests it's a software snag that prevents the digital odometer form displaying beyond 299,999 kilometers. There are procedures to remove this but not sure where you can do this in Nigeria.

See it yourself

Re: My Car Odometer Is Not Changing by aieromon(m): 7:25am On Apr 02, 2018
MrLatin1:

See it yourself

It was also indicated that the odometer reading was NOT THE ACTUAL mileage of the vehicle.

Re: My Car Odometer Is Not Changing by bravolad(m): 8:21am On Apr 02, 2018
MrLatin1:

See it yourself

There you go! Caveat emptor. The page you quoted says not actual.
Re: My Car Odometer Is Not Changing by MrLatin1: 8:30am On Apr 02, 2018
bravolad:

There you go! Caveat emptor. The page you quoted says not actual.

No need to worry then. The car performs great
Re: My Car Odometer Is Not Changing by dokiOloye(m): 6:10pm On Apr 02, 2018
SienaGbudje:

Hmmmm
Re: My Car Odometer Is Not Changing by obekediamondfuto(m): 6:44pm On Apr 02, 2018
caveat emptor

u can also get a used or scrap instrument cluster, disassemble it and swap the odometer chip.

quite easy If u are DIY compliant

getting a scrap one sounds easier and cheaper
Re: My Car Odometer Is Not Changing by obekediamondfuto(m): 6:46pm On Apr 02, 2018
aieromon:

It was also indicated that the odometer reading was NOT THE ACTUAL mileage of the vehicle.

lolz, vehicle might have clocked 400k miles
Re: My Car Odometer Is Not Changing by airlord2020: 7:31pm On Apr 02, 2018

SienaGbudje:

Re: My Car Odometer Is Not Changing by obekediamondfuto(m): 7:43pm On Apr 02, 2018
airlord2020:

pity him, he didn't understand the explanation well.... im dey try sha

(1) (Reply)

Duties Of Lagos Computerised Vehicle Inspection Service (LACVIS) / Big Daddy Vs Nissan Altima 2008 / Chasis Registration Error Advice Pls.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.