Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,056 members, 7,814,634 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:40 PM

HELP: Elect/elect Engineering Student With No Practical Experience - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / HELP: Elect/elect Engineering Student With No Practical Experience (804 Views)

Sylvia Nduaguba Chinwedu, IMSU Best Graduating Mechanical Engineering Student / Meet Jane Onyinyechi Ogwo, FUTO Best Graduating Student With CGPA Of 4.9 / Maryam Kikelomo Adegbite Becomes UNIOSUN Overall Best Student With 4.91 GPA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

HELP: Elect/elect Engineering Student With No Practical Experience by HiddenManna(m): 12:43am On Apr 02, 2018
Hi...

with no sort of introduction, I'm a student in my first year studying electrical/electronic Engineering in Poly. I have certain problems in the PRACTICAL aspect than the THEORY (because I am quite good in the thoery aspect).

My lecturer has put us into few practicals (since it's my first year) and I find it hard to follow-up or comprehend them. My course mates have carried out entrepreneurial projects on electronic devices/systems and when I ask how they came about it, I end up getting confused rather than convinced.

I'm an aspiring electrical/electronics entrepreneur with no vision of what i can develope or create for the betterment of the society at large. I'm a young person with big dreams, but I don't know how to make my dreams alive without knowledge on practicals.

A brilliant person on the theory aspect, I could imagine graduating with a good result and without practical knowledge, how would I be able to secure a job and help the society?

I once hated my course (due to parental factor and circumstances), but I started having passion for it. I have issue in comprehending circuit connections and all. I feel like am lost and wasting my time. PLEASE WHAT CAN I DO I don't have plans to give up on my career path. PLEASE HELP!! ��
Re: HELP: Elect/elect Engineering Student With No Practical Experience by SUPERPACK: 12:56am On Apr 02, 2018
if u feel you cant cope then quit, but i believe that your problem have a solution, why nt make out time to visit a real life electrical workshop, it would be easier to learn frm them, the circuit connection you are talking of is it parallel and series circuit.

1 Like

Re: HELP: Elect/elect Engineering Student With No Practical Experience by HiddenManna(m): 3:48am On Apr 02, 2018
SUPERPACK:
if u feel you cant cope then quit, but i believe that your problem have a solution, why nt make out time to visit a real life electrical workshop, it would be easier to learn frm them, the circuit connection you are talking of is it parallel and series circuit.

both... i don't even know how to use a multimeter per se
Re: HELP: Elect/elect Engineering Student With No Practical Experience by StackNerd: 5:20am On Apr 02, 2018
Hey!. Try to do well in school. But don't waste your time learning any practical, there is a lot of limitation in the feild of EE in Nigeria, 95 percent of EE grads don't practice EE, most of them become IT Engineers. E.t.c My advice to you is to learn, programming on the side (not web dev) any high level programming language, python Java, whatever. Then move on after mastering that to advanced stuffs in Comp sci, e.g Machine learning, Data Visualization, Game Design e.t.c all this can be learnt on Coursera and YouTube. Armed with this skills, you will be valuable anywhere in the world, and you can even do amazing stuffs from the comfort of your home, all with little capital. You'll thank me later for this.

1 Like

Re: HELP: Elect/elect Engineering Student With No Practical Experience by SUPERPACK: 8:05am On Apr 02, 2018
HiddenManna:

both... i don't even know how to use a multimeter per se
As far as you are in a poly you must learn the practical aspect or else you cant graduate, do u knw i studied psychology. but due to the subject i teach currently, i developed passion for electronics, and i have to say you can learn anything, go online seek for more knowledge on anything you failed to understand,
Register on Quora.com where u can meet experts in EE ask them any question u like and be rest assured they will make sure you understand, also visit youtube and check for EE tutorials on any aspect you want. with determination the sky is you limit.
just went through your profile and it seems you are good in writing, and literature, why nt go into that, since you already have the passion?.
Re: HELP: Elect/elect Engineering Student With No Practical Experience by HiddenManna(m): 4:40pm On Apr 02, 2018
StackNerd:
Hey!. Try to do well in school. But don't waste your time learning any practical, there is a lot of limitation in the feild of EE in Nigeria, 95 percent of EE grads don't practice EE, most of them become IT Engineers. E.t.c My advice to you is to learn, programming on the side (not web dev) any high level programming language, python Java, whatever. Then move on after mastering that to advanced stuffs in Comp sci, e.g Machine learning, Data Visualization, Game Design e.t.c all this can be learnt on Coursera and YouTube. Armed with this skills, you will be valuable anywhere in the world, and you can even do amazing stuffs from the comfort of your home, all with little capital. You'll thank me later for this.

yes.. thank you very much for that. I quite agree to what you've said. however, some of this programming stuff works with and won't work without an arduino uno or microcontrollers.

Yestersay, after i came seeking advise on nairaland, I was making research on electronic devices and stuffs like that and I found out that most of them work with the help of all micro controllers.

With microcontrollers, nothing is impossible to create which I got as fact. they are the working principle behind every electronics and programmed machines.

I guess research is key. With more knowledge and concentration I could still improve and get further hands-on knowledge. I won't say hands-on practicals in my school is low quality.... thanks anyways!
Re: HELP: Elect/elect Engineering Student With No Practical Experience by HiddenManna(m): 4:43pm On Apr 02, 2018
SUPERPACK:
As far as you are in a poly you must learn the practical aspect or else you cant graduate, do u knw i studied psychology. but due to the subject i teach currently, i developed passion for electronics, and i have to say you can learn anything, go online seek for more knowledge on anything you failed to understand,
Register on Quora.com where u can meet experts in EE ask them any question u like and be rest assured they will make sure you understand, also visit youtube and check for EE tutorials on any aspect you want. with determination the sky is you limit.
just went through your profile and it seems you are good in writing, and literature, why nt go into that, since you already have the passion?.

that's right. I need ti
Re: HELP: Elect/elect Engineering Student With No Practical Experience by HiddenManna(m): 4:51pm On Apr 02, 2018
SUPERPACK:

that's right and well said. I need to make deeper research and watch tutorial videos on YouTube and other sources. just technical words and explanation could be just the problem. I get stuck at that point. But, thanks... as you said, there's a solution to every problem. passion and focus is what I also need and determination from my God.

and yes... I'm quite passionate about literature and writing as well. that's why in my first post, I included parental factor and circumstances. I would rather not give the excuse that I was forced to do a course which I didn't like at first. I never at once liked my course because I always loved the arts... But now, I think this zeal and passion is fully there. i'm just a newbie in the practical aspect.

and thanks for the advise.

(1) (Reply)

Certified Human Resources Management Training, Port Harcourt / Futminna Aspirant For 2018/2019 / Mafia City H5 - The Best Online Mafia Game Worth Playing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.