Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,226 members, 7,825,870 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 04:03 AM

Wanted: Video Gamers - Gaming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / Wanted: Video Gamers (2253 Views)

Top Excuses Given By Soccer Video Gamers( Pes And Fifa) / A Thread For Mobile Gamers ( Android & IOS ) / Media Blames Video-gamers For The Killing Of Teens (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wanted: Video Gamers by toluwalomo(m): 8:28pm On Mar 12, 2007
Hi,

I wanna do a feature on video game players in Nigeria. I want to hook up with a real addict (25 upwards) that is the slant I wanna give the story, so it is important I stay in that range.

It will be nice if I can thro in a female who knows her way round a keypad too.

I am talking a game psycho here with a couple of consoles, a horde of games and a dusk to dawn addiction to match.

If there are any video game associations or video havens I can check in Lagos, i will like some contact points too.

The name of the programme this will feature is e360. We are on the AIT network on Saturdays 4:30 p.m and DSTV's Africa Magic Channel on Sundays 2 p.m
Re: Wanted: Video Gamers by darqly(m): 10:21am On Mar 15, 2007
Hello Tolu, totally unrelated to your post, but I'm curious, Did you finish from Baptist High?? I've been searching for one Tolu Ojo that went to Babby High.

1 Like

Re: Wanted: Video Gamers by c0dec(m): 2:53pm On Mar 15, 2007
holler at texazzpete, dakmanzero, neoteny and Gtay. freaks i tell ya. grin
Re: Wanted: Video Gamers by toluwalomo(m): 5:36pm On Mar 15, 2007
Hello, yea I finished from Babby High set of 92. Went to ABU studied English, creative writer/journalist in Lagos.

Lemme have your name mystery guy?
Re: Wanted: Video Gamers by texazzpete(m): 10:38pm On Mar 15, 2007
I wonder which kind of 'creative journalist' you are if all u can think of for a naijan video gamer feature is ways to reinforce the brainless stereotype of the immature gaming addict.
there's so much more to report on the naijan gaming scene. video game industry already surpasses the movie industry in sales in the US, and it's snowballing in naija too. instead all u can think of is to seek out some old, slack-jawed loser game addict.

wanna do a feature on game addicts? interview old geezers that sit around all day playing draughts!
Re: Wanted: Video Gamers by toluwalomo(m): 9:13am On Mar 16, 2007
Mr pete, you need to take out time to read and not fly into conclusions. Where did i mention that my story was to push the stereotype that gamers were puerile?

I am a video gamer myself and pretty much older than you. So that is an explanation in itself.

If other journalists have "yabbed" you in that regard, you need not crucify me for the sins of another.

Because I am seeking video gamers you assume you know my story slant.

I cannot remember showing you my journalistic templates.

If you are sore about the state of gaming in 9ja. You have the chance to change it.

If you not game for my feature. Well then don't send wrong misconceptions to people who are interested.

Button the lip!
Re: Wanted: Video Gamers by texazzpete(m): 11:27am On Mar 16, 2007
toluwalomo:

Mr pete, you need to take out time to read and not fly into conclusions. Where did i mention that my story was to push the stereotype that gamers were puerile?

I am a video gamer myself and pretty much older than you. So that is an explanation in itself.

Because I am seeking video gamers you assume you know my story slant.

I cannot remember showing you my journalistic templates.

If you are sore about the state of gaming in Nigeria. You have the chance to change it.

If you not game for my feature. Well then don't send wrong misconceptions to people who are interested.

Button the lip!

Let me quote your earlier post for you, since you seem to be suffering from a temporary case of amnesia.

toluwalomo:

I want to do a feature on video game players in Nigeria. I want to hook up with a real addict (25 upwards) that is the slant I want to give the story, so it is important I stay in that range.

It will be nice if I can thro in a female who knows her way round a keypad too.

I am talking a game psycho here with a couple of consoles, a horde of games and a dusk to dawn addiction to match.

You want to promote a feature on gamers in nigeria, a feature you plan to broadcast to the world at large and yet you seek for a '25yr and above gamer who sits down at home all day gaming from dusk to dawn' (your words!) and you think you aren't reinforcing whatever stereotype people have about video gamers in nigeria?
You aren't seeking video gamers here, you're seeking for that niche breed of game addicts (you said that so yourself!). anybody with half a brain knows that addiction in all forms is bad, and to deliberately choose to use a video game addict (and even worse, a relatively old video game addict) in your portrayal, that means you're really out to reinforce all negative perceptions people have about we all that game sporadically, and purely for recreational purposes.

Even if i was 'sore about the state of gaming in nigeria' , your program (which, as you say, seeks to depict a mature man who instead of working productively, plays videogames all day) would only serve to exponentially worsen the situation. After all, when you show a slack jawed 28year old man who exists only to satisfy his 'dusk to dawn addiction' how many parents would go out to buy their kids games?

It's only a few days since your first post and you seem to have forgotten what you posted there. Even a quick glance at the top of the page would have shown you the folly in your last post. What kind of journalist are you? Creative or confused?

Dude. no one cares if you're older'n me. If you're an addict, film yourself!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wanted: Video Gamers by GTay(m): 5:04pm On Mar 16, 2007
@ Codec, loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool cheesy

Anyway i take that as a compliment.

@Tolu, yup am interested but now most games i play are on my laptop. I really dont have consoles right now.

Cheers. smiley
Re: Wanted: Video Gamers by toluwalomo(m): 6:37pm On Mar 16, 2007
GTAY,

You can give me a hit on e360@fastermail.com letz work on something.

Mr Pete,If you to want play the hot-headed-cannot-see-beyond-his-nose-fool go ahead!

I got 8 leads, obviously people did not hear your rabid rantings.

My story is going ahead. So sorry it is not me in the lead role.

Don't slit your throat out of envy!

So whilst you continue to rant like someone who needs to be imprisoned in a straitjacket, i  have a story to work on!

Thanks for adding a comical connotation to my post.
Re: Wanted: Video Gamers by Seun(m): 8:12pm On Mar 16, 2007
Gamer/programmer/otaku types tend to be very aggressive at times. I wonder why. Good luck, toluwalomo.
Re: Wanted: Video Gamers by wisemikky(m): 3:12pm On Mar 17, 2007
am interested in the gaming thing my guy, count me in. i'd like to show off my game-pad handling skills as well as my , i hope the game is strategic in nature.
Re: Wanted: Video Gamers by tipsy289(m): 7:25am On Mar 18, 2007
oh boy, 25+ is not really common in naija but u still a couple of ppl, so its goin 2 a show, am rite.
Re: Wanted: Video Gamers by toluwalomo(m): 9:50am On Mar 19, 2007
Wisemikky you will get an e-mail from one of my colleagues today.
Re: Wanted: Video Gamers by darqly(m): 11:21am On Mar 19, 2007
Hey Tolu, you're definately the TOLU I lost contact with! I'm Babby High set of 97, remember Peterson??Agboola House?? I actually caught your name in the cast after an episode of e360, and I was so sure it was you. Lets take this private. I'll send you an email. Nice one!!
Re: Wanted: Video Gamers by texazzpete(m): 12:08pm On Mar 19, 2007
We'll see how this turns out, perhaps it'd have been better if you didn't call for addiction etc. All i've been saying is IMHO anyone 25+ that plays games dusk to dawn has to be psycho, if you insist you aren't putting this kind of thing out for show, then good for you. Will see if the actual show gives me a change of mind.

toluwalomo:

Don't slit your throat out of envy!

Thanks for providing me with a genuine reason to laugh today  grin. Even if i had no problem with this, i'd never sign up for stuff like this. However, i never specifically tried to dissuade others from doing this. I'm even surprised that you've got only 8 leads so far, Nigerians tend to jump in on anything.
Re: Wanted: Video Gamers by texazzpete(m): 12:14pm On Mar 19, 2007
@Tolu
My reservations aside, i've heard good things about your show. I still have problems with where i think you're headed to, but i'll apologize for comments calling your talents as a journalist in question.
Re: Wanted: Video Gamers by dakmanzero(m): 8:01pm On Mar 19, 2007
yo tp, go easy on this guy!

I'm sure he's a great journalist when dealing with people in the traditional sense (face to face interviews, quotations and after the fact reporting) but obviously doesn't quite have a handle on the Internet yet, which isn't a bad thing! afterall aren't we all guilty of net rage! cheesy

hey tolu, Tp was actually right. I (and quite a few others I'm sure) felt quite offended by the tone of your initial post, but I realised you didn't mean to use words like 'addict' in a derogatory way.

Gamers can be quite sensitive when you talk about them, because we are depicted in a negative light as a matter of course. Check out texazzpetes thread on 'gamer stereotypes' to find out a bit more about that part of the 'gamer mindset'

The truth is, there's *much* to report on the 9ja gaming scene, because its so large, yet so underground, and so unique (since there is no official suppport for any major console here). It survives based almost entirely on a structure of informal business relationships and the international secondary market. You can easily do a half-assed job, but a good job will definitely be an interesting piece of journalism!

Be prepared to make some trips to Alaba, computer village and oshodi- and some trips to LUTH and UNILAG. Seek out a few g-houses. The gamers themselves may be a more difficult prospect though. I don't think I will be available because of my company's policy on granting interviewsx to the press :-(
Re: Wanted: Video Gamers by toluwalomo(m): 9:47am On Mar 20, 2007
Well it is nice to see that we have arrived at a type of understanding here.

Yes! I must admit that I allow my figurative sense of words get the better of me sometimes

The words that supposedly caused this brouhaha, were not intended to be derogatory.

I guess i was runnning in e360 script mode.

I know some gaming scenes in Lagos.

Are you saying the ones in LUTH AND UNILAG are hot?

Gimme some pointers for the underground g-scene if you can.

I would welcome it.

When I'm thu with the story.

I will leave a post here telling yall when the story will run.

Peterson! I am expecting your email.

You did not leave yours, I cud have hit you up eons ago!
Re: Wanted: Video Gamers by texazzpete(m): 5:30pm On Mar 20, 2007
Glad d misunderstanding is over and done with, just like dakmanzero i'm a  working professional, and i always flare up when someone questions the maturity of gaming etc etc.
Re: Wanted: Video Gamers by dakmanzero(m): 6:39pm On Mar 20, 2007
TP!!!!

wipe ya email address off nairaland or the yahoo boys and spambots will get you!!!!

have you no further need for that email address!??!?!?!??!??!??!?!?!!!!!1

Also he wasnt referring to you, it was some guy from his secondary school
Re: Wanted: Video Gamers by c0dec(m): 12:23am On Mar 21, 2007
peterson! ROFLMAO
Re: Wanted: Video Gamers by echowords(m): 5:04pm On Mar 24, 2007
Hey I Was waited for your show this sat, but unfortuanately it didn't show. sad
Re: Wanted: Video Gamers by toluwalomo(m): 8:21pm On Mar 26, 2007
It was sum technical mix-sup, sorri bout dat.

We are on the new channel Link 65 and STV now.

I will hit you with the timings once I confirm.

Thanks for watching e360!
Re: Wanted: Video Gamers by Lush: 9:53pm On Mar 28, 2007
Been hibernating but did i hear someone mention video games And the Lush wasnt informed about this program or broadcast times on TV? angry Personally, i wouldnt sign up but i'm bleeding curious to see where you're headed with this, dude, post the show times.
Re: Wanted: Video Gamers by toluwalomo(m): 7:06pm On Apr 03, 2007
Gtay and Texxazpete I sent you guys e-mails eons ago, no response.

Wisemikky, I'll hook up with you after the easter holidays, been awfully busy, shud have done that earlier.

I said it it before Lush, dat when the story is done, i'll put up the show time.

I intend to still do that!
Re: Wanted: Video Gamers by Lush: 10:04pm On Apr 03, 2007
Ticky tock man, ticky tock angry
Re: Wanted: Video Gamers by toluwalomo(m): 12:43pm On Apr 04, 2007
Don't hold your Breath home-boi!
Re: Wanted: Video Gamers by Lush: 11:53pm On Apr 13, 2007
Was this all a hoax then? angry
Re: Wanted: Video Gamers by Nobody: 11:44am On Apr 02, 2017
How did this eventually end up? Where was the journalist heading with this?

(1) (Reply)

Help: I Need Working Link For Fifa 15 pc game Serial Key Generator / Download Fifa 23 Ppsspp Fifa 2023 Psp Iso Save Data Texture Zip File For Android / Top 10 INSANE Medium Spec PC Games 2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.