Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,554 members, 7,812,778 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:10 PM

What Is The Duty Of A Captain In A Football Team - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / What Is The Duty Of A Captain In A Football Team (1041 Views)

Braless Ghanaian Lady: I Have More 'Points' Than The Nigerian Football Team / Types Of Nigerians You Will See At A Football Viewing Centre (Memes) / 10-man Nairaland Football Team Hold Yaba Team (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Duty Of A Captain In A Football Team by QueenDeborah(f): 10:47pm On Apr 04, 2018
Hi guys, am a girl that loves to watch football, and up till now i don't know the duty of a captain in a football team. So please can someone explain to me what is/are the duties of a captain in a football team. Sometimes when I'm watching a match, i normally see something like a ribbon tied around one of the player's arm, i asked someone, he said "it probably means that he's the oldest player in the team" I asked another person to confirm, he said, "it means that he's the most hard-working player in the team". I wasn't satisfied with the answers i got, so i decided to bring it here for you guys to explain it to my understanding.

Re: What Is The Duty Of A Captain In A Football Team by ApostleLucifer: 11:02pm On Apr 04, 2018
QueenDeborah:
Hi guys, am a girl that loves to watch football, and up till now i don't know the duty of a captain in a football team. So please can someone explain to me what is/are the duties of a captain in a football team. Sometimes when I'm watching a match, i normally see something like a ribbon tied around one of the player's arm, i asked someone, he said "it probably means that he's the oldest player in the team" I asked another person to confirm, he said, "it means that he's the most hard-working player in the team". I wasn't satisfied with the answers i got, so i decided to bring it here for you guys to explain it to my understanding.

The captain is the team leader.

On the pitch, he/she is the only one that can legally talk to a referee (along with the offending player). Depending on the referee's temperament, a card can be issued if an ordinary player tries arguing with the ref but a captain is authorized to do so (albeit politely).

He/she acts as a mediator for the team.

He/she is a motivator. The captain band is usually given to players that command the respect & loyalty of others within the squad.

Asides from the manager on the stands, he/she can make players up their game, give their all & grind out a result.

Off the pitch;

He/she harmonizes the squad. Settles squabbles & little disputes.

He is an example 4 others to follow.

A captain is usually someone with great personality off the pitch. Someone that rivals respect, young players want to emulate, fans adore & team mates look up to for inspiration.

He/she acts as the link between players & the manager. In most cases players cannot just walk into the manager's office anyhow, they need to see the captain first, express their grievances to him/her then he/she forwards it to the manager.

He/she is like a class captain & acts as a representative of the players at formal functions or meetings

That's all I know off the top of my head. Will add more as I remember.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Duty Of A Captain In A Football Team by ghanaman5050: 11:04pm On Apr 04, 2018
Debo, Can you come to my hotel? I will tell you everything about captain. Just captain? Very easy.
Re: What Is The Duty Of A Captain In A Football Team by QueenDeborah(f): 11:10pm On Apr 04, 2018
ApostleLucifer:

On the pitch, he/she is the only one that can legally talk to a referee (along with the offending player). Depending on the referee's temperament, a card can be issued if an ordinary player tries arguing with the ref but a captain is authorized to do so.

He/she is a motivator. The captain band is usually given to players that command the respect & loyalty of others within the squad.

Off the pitch;

He/she acts as the link between players & the manager. In most cases players cannot just walk into the manager's office anyhow, they need to see the captain first, express their grievances to him/her then he/she forwards it to the manager.

wow, u have said it all. Thanks.
Re: What Is The Duty Of A Captain In A Football Team by QueenDeborah(f): 11:12pm On Apr 04, 2018
ghanaman5050:
Debo, Can you come to my hotel? I will tell you everything about captain. Just captain? Very easy.
sorry am tired of hotels.
Re: What Is The Duty Of A Captain In A Football Team by ApostleLucifer: 11:18pm On Apr 04, 2018
QueenDeborah:
wow, u have said it all. Thanks.

Yeah.

Maybe I was just glad to find a girl who digs football.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Duty Of A Captain In A Football Team by Lekan111(m): 11:59pm On Apr 04, 2018
ApostleLucifer:

On the pitch, he/she is the only one that can legally talk to a referee (along with the offending player). Depending on the referee's temperament, a card can be issued if an ordinary player tries arguing with the ref but a captain is authorized to do so (albeit politely).

Asides from the manager on the stands, he/she can make players up their game, give their all & grind out a result.

Off the pitch;

A captain is usually someone with great personality off the pitch. Someone that rivals respect, young players want to emulate, fans adore & team mates look up to for inspiration.

He/she is like a class captain & acts as a representative of the players at formal functions or meetings

All these from your head? you are a genius but why that username?
Re: What Is The Duty Of A Captain In A Football Team by ADENIKETINA2015(f): 6:49am On Apr 05, 2018
ApostleLucifer:

Off the pitch;

That won't be necessary as you already said it all.
Nice one!
Re: What Is The Duty Of A Captain In A Football Team by ApostleLucifer: 8:17am On Apr 05, 2018
Lekan111:
All these from your head? you are a genius but why that username?

Bro thanks but I can assure you there's no genius here.

Just happens to be my area of expertise.

As for the username, "no comment".

grin
Re: What Is The Duty Of A Captain In A Football Team by ApostleLucifer: 8:18am On Apr 05, 2018
ADENIKETINA2015:
That won't be necessary as you already said it all. Nice one!

Yeah, you're right.
I actually couldn't think of any other.
Thanks.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Duty Of A Captain In A Football Team by Lekan111(m): 3:11pm On Apr 05, 2018
ApostleLucifer:

Bro thanks but I can assure you there's no genius here.
Just happens to be my area of expertise.
As for the username, "no comment".
grin
smile, football analyst?
Re: What Is The Duty Of A Captain In A Football Team by ApostleLucifer: 9:30pm On Apr 05, 2018
Lekan111:
smile, football analyst?

Maybe but I prefer management / coaching even though I dunno how to start.

My brain is fitting to burst with various tactical plans, formations & strategies.

I must share this knowledge before I die thats all I know.
Re: What Is The Duty Of A Captain In A Football Team by Lekan111(m): 1:18pm On Apr 06, 2018
ApostleLucifer:

My brain is fitting to burst with various tactical plans, formations & strategies.

you can start by gathering Children and youth in your community
Re: What Is The Duty Of A Captain In A Football Team by Lekan111(m): 1:18pm On Apr 06, 2018
ApostleLucifer:

you can start by gathering Children and youth in your community but I guess they will resist if they know you as Lucifer
Re: What Is The Duty Of A Captain In A Football Team by ApostleLucifer: 6:50pm On Apr 06, 2018
Lekan111:
you can start by gathering Children and youth in your community but I guess they will resist if they know you as Lucifer

Nah. That won't do anything.

What I need is to acquire FIFA Coaching licenses C & B at least so I can be eligible for UEFA licenses to enable me find a startup club abroad. Currently working on that.

Naija no be am.
Re: What Is The Duty Of A Captain In A Football Team by Lekan111(m): 7:13pm On Apr 06, 2018
ApostleLucifer:

Nah. That won't do anything.

What I need is to acquire FIFA Coaching licenses C & B at least so I can be eligible for UEFA licenses to enable me find a startup club abroad. Currently working on that.

Naija no be am.
I will you well sir, maybe you Will liberate Arsenal one day.

(1) (Reply)

Juventus 1 Vs 2 Manchester United ( full time). / Swollen Face Of Ghanaian Isaac Dogboe After His WBO Defeat (photos) / Zinadine Zidane Returned To Real Madrid As The New Manager

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.