Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,765 members, 7,817,109 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:04 AM

Excellent Writing Tips - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Excellent Writing Tips (1456 Views)

8 Writing Tips To Remember From Charles Dickens / Play Writing Tips / Writing Tips: Think Out Of The Box! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Excellent Writing Tips by newera(f): 11:31am On Mar 13, 2007
One of the easiest ways to become a great fiction writer is to become a great writer. The key word is 'become'. It takes time and hard work to develop the skill required to become great. Selling is another matter but first is to have good content, good structure and good presentation. Randy Ingermanson has a website devoted to training writers and offering useful tips from his experience. You can check out his website below and if you find it agreeable, then you may subscribe.

http://www.advancedfictionwriting.com/

1 Like

Re: Excellent Writing Tips by Orikinla(m): 12:38pm On Mar 13, 2007
Participating in creative writing workshops is more practical.
The French prize winning novelist Dominique Sigaud had a workshop for members of the Association of Nigerian Authors (ANA) in 2001. Interactive sessions with established writers will also improve creative writing skills.
I also learn by reading classic works of literature. I examine how the writers construct their sentences in artistry, imagery and vocabulary.
Ben Okri and Isidore Okpewho are the leading literary stylists of modern Nigerian literature.

Isidore Okpewho's The Last Duty is good for learning how to write. That novel is an all time classic in African literature in English.
Re: Excellent Writing Tips by newera(f): 3:38pm On Mar 13, 2007
I have found the website and the monthly e-zines very useful. It's free so there is nothing to lose.

Creative writing workshops are few and far between in Nigeria. But i do agree that one of the best ways to learn how to write, is to read great authors.

Orikinla:

Participating in creative writing workshops is more practical.
The French prize winning novelist Dominique Sigaud had a workshop for members of the Association of Nigerian Authors (ANA) in 2001. Interactive sessions with established writers will also improve creative writing skills.
I also learn by reading classic works of literature. I examine how the writers construct their sentences in artistry, imagery and vocabulary.
Ben Okri and Isidore Okpewho are the leading literary stylists of modern Nigerian literature.

Isidore Okpewho's The Last Duty is good for learning how to write. That novel is an all time classic in African literature in English.
Re: Excellent Writing Tips by Orikinla(m): 12:38pm On Mar 14, 2007
I have already subscribed for them as you advised.

The ezines would be beneficial.
Re: Excellent Writing Tips by Ndipe(m): 2:57am On Mar 15, 2007
I liked Okpewho's other novel, "The victims". The author was sucessful in not only showcasing the pitfalls of polygamy, but his grammar was also impressive. I was not aware that his other novel (neither have I read it), "The Last Duty" is a classic. One of Africa's finest writer.

http://www.binghamton.edu/africana/okpewho.html
Re: Excellent Writing Tips by channel190(m): 11:34am On Dec 17, 2012
Expired, maybe am in the wrong place

(1) (Reply)

The Assassination Of Dele Giwa / SUGAR DADDY: Misplaced Priorities / Dont We Need A Magazine And Newspapers Sub-forum

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.