Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,770 members, 7,817,130 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:44 AM

$46.7b Foreign Reserves Keep Naira Stable - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / $46.7b Foreign Reserves Keep Naira Stable (8588 Views)

It's Not Our Intention To Defend The Naira - Cardoso Speaks On Foreign Reserves / Naira Stable At ₦1550 - ₦1580 In Parallel Market After CBN’s $7.85M Sale To BDCs / EFCC Recovers N27.7b From Six Banks For Withholding Tax (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

$46.7b Foreign Reserves Keep Naira Stable by edunwablog: 2:42am On Apr 09, 2018
The naira remains stable at the official and parallel markets, with the foreign exchange (forex) reserves standing at $46.7billion, a report by Exotic Capital, an investment and research firm, has said.

The naira exchanges at 362 to the dollar in the parallel market and 305.6 in the official market. It has remained at those rates since April, last year, after the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) resumed forex interventions in the market.

The report said although the level of reserves was still below the record high of $64 billion realised in August 2008, it is nearly double the $24 billion recorded in October 2016, increasing by more than $22 billion in 15 months.

The reserves hit $46.7 billion on March 29, from just over $23 billion in October 2016, as the economy continues to attract huge investment inflows from foreign investors.

The economy benefited from increased forex supply with over $20 billion inflow to the Investors’ & Exporters’ (I&E) Forex Window since inception in April 2017.

The report said the macro fundamentals suggested the Central Bank of Nigeria’s (CBN’s) appropriate reaction function would have been to hold rates unchanged as it did in last week’s Monetary Policy Committee MPC meeting.

“We have written extensively on Nigeria’s multiple exchange rate system and will abstain from further discussion at present, suffice to say that a fairly valued naira at 360 to the dollar combined with high domestic rates has led to a tremendous increase in the level of gross foreign reserves held at the CBN,” the report said, adding:

”With reserves at their current levels, it is easy to imagine the MPC being in a position where it could afford to cut as it is less dependent on attracting dollar inflows than it has been to both build reserves and stabilise the naira.”

A similar report by FBN Capital, titled: “Towards the $50 billion threshold, and counting”, said the rapid accumulation of $15.96 billion over 12 months was due to two sizeable Eurobond launches, a small diaspora bond issue, the recovery in oil export revenues (through the Nigeria National Petroleum Corporation’s share of production and, more recently, the steady bid by the CBN at the I&E Forex window.

“We should stress that the data are gross and mask the swap transactions the CBN has entered into with local banks. The steady bid by the CBN has been seen variously as a response to the softening of demand for forex by importers and other economic actors, and as a move to contain naira appreciation,” the FBN Capital said, adding:

“The CBN will be pleased with the healthy signals from I&E Forex window where the weekly average has now settled above $1 billion. Reserves at end-March covered 17 months’ merchandise imports, and 10.9 months when we add services. These calculations are based on the balance of payments for 2017. The ratios are a little less impressive, but still robust, if we use the measure of current account payments (including income debits) favoured by the ratings agencies.”

Before the stability in the forex market and naira, the economy witnessed a depressed Gross Domestic Product (GDP) growth, which culminated in a recession in 2016. There was also rising inflation, which peaked at almost 19 per cent in January 2017 and a persistently rising unemployment rate to 14.23 per cent in 2016 fourth quarter from 6.41 per cent as at 2014 fourth quarter. There was also a significant depreciation of the exchange rate, reaching N525 to $1 in February 2017 and witnessed a fast depletion of the reserves which bottomed out at about $23.6 billion in October 2016 from as high as $40 billion in January 2014.

http://www.akelicious.net/2018/04/467b-foreign-reserves-keep-naira-stable.html

5 Likes

Re: $46.7b Foreign Reserves Keep Naira Stable by naijjaman(m): 2:46am On Apr 09, 2018
ok
Re: $46.7b Foreign Reserves Keep Naira Stable by Islamicpope(m): 3:09am On Apr 09, 2018
I knew d foreign reserve will grow to $100b under dis GOVERNMENT.

41 Likes 4 Shares

Re: $46.7b Foreign Reserves Keep Naira Stable by sincerlyyo(m): 5:21am On Apr 09, 2018
We just need to support this government, things will get better

41 Likes 7 Shares

Re: $46.7b Foreign Reserves Keep Naira Stable by Leboska(m): 5:41am On Apr 09, 2018
This is the most clueless government I've ever seen, in just three years our debt profile tripled, with nothing to show for it & one sycophant just sit down to type rubbish on nairaland.

18 Likes 5 Shares

Re: $46.7b Foreign Reserves Keep Naira Stable by mrphysics(m): 5:46am On Apr 09, 2018
Leboska:
This is the most clueless government I've ever seen, in just three years our debt profile tripled, with nothing to show for it & one sycophant just sit down to type rubbish on nairaland.
To you guys, it's hatred over everything/anything

We will extend your period of hatred to 2023.

58 Likes 8 Shares

Re: $46.7b Foreign Reserves Keep Naira Stable by Alejob: 5:53am On Apr 09, 2018
Not stable enough.....

Bring it to parity so I can finally be a vibrant economic citizen of the world...... Used to be as poor as the Japanese Yen... But our naira is the reference point now angry angry

1 Like

Re: $46.7b Foreign Reserves Keep Naira Stable by Throwback: 6:13am On Apr 09, 2018
Whatever regime would take over from Buhari, Nigerians must ensure that no one named Jonathan is allowed to have access to our foreign reserves.

That name Jonathan is a cursed name. At a time a nation needed a Joseph to save up during the time of plenty, we were saddled with a Jonathan that is known to fraternize with the enemies of his own father and surrender his inheritance to his friends. And this Nigerian Jonathan did squander the resources of his nation and encouraged his friends who could not steal to provide their bank accounts to receive loot.

This is the same foreign reserves that Jonathan and Okonjo Iweala ran down from $47b that he inherited from Yar'Adua to $29b/$30b as at the time he handed over to Buhari, despite being the regime that made the most dollars from Nigerian crude oil sales ever. They also ensured to run down the Excess Crude Oil Account, with many illegal withdrawals made by Okonjo Iweala despite not securing the approval of the authorizing FAAC.

Indeed, Jonathan's destiny was to bankrupt Nigeria as opined by Tunde Bakare.

Already borrowing N470b to pay federal civil servants salary in Feb/Mar/April 2015, at a time time crude oil was still selling above $50/barrel before plummeting to $27/barrel in this Buhari regime that did not have to borrow to pay salaries.

This same Jonathan regime despite making so much revenue from oil, refused to pay its IOC JV partners, the government's share of funding that totalled $5b, only to be too broke to pay up when the oil price crisis engulfed the oil industry and the JV partners demanded for their money, and started laying off personnel due to abandoned oil projects that could not be continued owing to paucity of funds.

61 Likes 11 Shares

Re: $46.7b Foreign Reserves Keep Naira Stable by SillyMods: 6:19am On Apr 09, 2018
PMB is determined to build Nigeria. We only need to be patient and watch him make us proud.

Imagine what a president who could add over $23bn to the reserves in less than three years despite a significantly diminished earnings will achieve with surplus income!

PMB is the best president we've had since 1999.

41 Likes 5 Shares

Re: $46.7b Foreign Reserves Keep Naira Stable by dotfam2104(m): 6:27am On Apr 09, 2018
Children of hate will avoid this thread like a plague!

23 Likes 5 Shares

Re: $46.7b Foreign Reserves Keep Naira Stable by Nobody: 6:38am On Apr 09, 2018
kudos to Buhari, Kemi and the CBN Governor.

20 Likes 6 Shares

Re: $46.7b Foreign Reserves Keep Naira Stable by jericco1(m): 6:40am On Apr 09, 2018
let it come down abeg.
Re: $46.7b Foreign Reserves Keep Naira Stable by Clerverly: 8:11am On Apr 09, 2018
Independent pigs will ignore this wonderful news, while they search for threads, that have Reno Omockery, FFK or Fayose reactions....

Ipob are really pigs!

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: $46.7b Foreign Reserves Keep Naira Stable by emeejinsm: 8:13am On Apr 09, 2018
Is this a good news ?
I will make 1$ = 1#

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: $46.7b Foreign Reserves Keep Naira Stable by Lanre4uonly(m): 8:13am On Apr 09, 2018
Good development.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: $46.7b Foreign Reserves Keep Naira Stable by NairaMaster1(m): 8:14am On Apr 09, 2018
In hunger? So a hungry man is a stable man?

1 Like

Re: $46.7b Foreign Reserves Keep Naira Stable by Nobody: 8:15am On Apr 09, 2018
Re: $46.7b Foreign Reserves Keep Naira Stable by frankwealth: 8:16am On Apr 09, 2018
Nigerian government ought to also appreciate and thank the ever hardworking Nigerian youths who despite the hard recession and mass unemployment never gave up in their bid to survive at all cost which led many Nigerian youths into venturing into various online businesses like:

1. Freelancing on fiverr, upwork, etc
2. Blogging
3. App development
4. Sales of kindle ebooks on Amazon
5. Amazon affiliate marketing
6. CPA, PPD

Which has contributed in attracting undocumented FOREX into the Nigerian economy and helped in boosting Nigeria's FOREX.

Believe me, these hardworking Nigerian youths working online as freelancers attract at least $500,000 into the Nigerian economy every month.

It is high time CBN and FG recognise their effort and make policies to encourage more youths to startup legal online businesses instead of engaging in Yahoo Yahoo scam.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: $46.7b Foreign Reserves Keep Naira Stable by NairaMaster1(m): 8:16am On Apr 09, 2018
Islamicpope:
I knew d foreign reserve will grow to $100b under dis GOVERNMENT.

What of the debt profile? Please let's face reality than sentiment.

Nothing kills a nation like debt.

Growing debt and FR simultaneously amidst hardship?

2 Likes

Re: $46.7b Foreign Reserves Keep Naira Stable by GavelSlam: 8:17am On Apr 09, 2018
Some people would be peeping incognito.

grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: $46.7b Foreign Reserves Keep Naira Stable by Printerscanner: 8:18am On Apr 09, 2018
The Foreign Reserve that Goatluck and his gang of 40 thieves lead by the puff-puff cheeked world bank fraudster called Ngozi Okonjo-Iwealla, Diezani Alisson-Maduekwe and Mama Piss Sheppopo looted, the people's general has replenish it. The road is rough, the task is tough, the masses are hungry, our graduates are roaming the streets, even me, I am under-employed but there is light at the end of the tunnel. I stand with Buhari, what about you?

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: $46.7b Foreign Reserves Keep Naira Stable by ZarahBuhari: 8:18am On Apr 09, 2018
An imaginery foreign reserve figures when Buhari & his 40 gang thieves have run this country into debts.

Tell me another story.

This thread is for block headed zombies

3 Likes

Re: $46.7b Foreign Reserves Keep Naira Stable by GavelSlam: 8:19am On Apr 09, 2018
NairaMaster1:

What of the debt profile? Please let's face reality than sentiment.

Nothing kills a nation like debt.

Growing debt and FR simultaneously amidst hardship?

Please give examples?

Can a poor man ask for a loan if not credit worthy?

Do you think lending homes do not carry out due diligence?

7 Likes

Re: $46.7b Foreign Reserves Keep Naira Stable by ilyasom(m): 8:19am On Apr 09, 2018
Children of hate won't see anything good in this news

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: $46.7b Foreign Reserves Keep Naira Stable by jnfoage: 8:20am On Apr 09, 2018
This is why the cursed party of thieves aka PDP are recruiting more miscreants to continue insulting Buhari all over the social media because if they succeed in swindling Nigerians to vote them back to power, all media expenditure will be reimbursed. God forbid anything looking like PDP ever go close to the seat of power in the next 50 centuries.
This is how PDP are viewing the growing foreign reserve.

15 Likes 4 Shares

Re: $46.7b Foreign Reserves Keep Naira Stable by Fourwinds: 8:20am On Apr 09, 2018
mrphysics:
To you guys, it's hatred over everything/anything
We will extend your period of hatred to 2023.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: $46.7b Foreign Reserves Keep Naira Stable by Nigeman: 8:20am On Apr 09, 2018
Leboska:

Dullard, what do you know?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: $46.7b Foreign Reserves Keep Naira Stable by NgwaManNaija4LF(m): 8:22am On Apr 09, 2018
Lies from of hell.

1 Like

Re: $46.7b Foreign Reserves Keep Naira Stable by NairaMaster1(m): 8:23am On Apr 09, 2018
GavelSlam:

Please give examples?

Can a poor man ask for a loan if not credit worthy?

Do you think lending homes do not carry out due diligence?

That you are credit worthy means you should be indebted?

What an economist.

Nigeria as an OPEC member is already credit worthy so what are you telling us? I am real. No sentiment.

Haba! What an economist!!

1 Like

Re: $46.7b Foreign Reserves Keep Naira Stable by Ikwokrikwo: 8:24am On Apr 09, 2018
Debt is growing at more than double the rate of the reserves.

So typical of this deceptive government.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: $46.7b Foreign Reserves Keep Naira Stable by NgwaManNaija4LF(m): 8:25am On Apr 09, 2018
Printerscanner:
The Foreign Reserve that Goatluck and his gang of 40 thieves lead by the puff-puff cheeked world bank fraudster called Ngozi Okonjo-Iwealla, Diezani Alisson-Maduekwe and Mama Piss Sheppopo looted, the people's general has replenish it. The road is rough, the task is tough, the masses are hungry, our graduates are roaming the streets, even me, I am under-employed but there is light at the end of the tunnel. I stand with Buhari, what about you?

The people you mentioned are greater than your entire tribe and their supporters combined, nut head why can't you excel like them. Mumu boy with an iliterate president.

2 Likes

Re: $46.7b Foreign Reserves Keep Naira Stable by GavelSlam: 8:26am On Apr 09, 2018
NairaMaster1:

That you are credit worthy means you should be indebted?

What an economist.

Nigeria as an OPEC member is already credit worthy so what are you telling us? I am real. No sentiment.

Haba! What an economist!!

All countries incur debt.

Just say you want to wail.

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Your Best And Worst Stocks Ever? / How Sanusi Lamido Sold Intercontinental Bank To His Friends - TheStreetJournal / Dangote Cement Emerges First Stock To Hit ₦‎10 Trillion Capitalisation On NGX

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.