Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,152 members, 7,818,482 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:01 PM

Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List - Literature (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List (28654 Views)

12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” / Strangest Books Ever Written (photos) / Irene Duffy Lynch To Translate Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart To Irish (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by Originalsly: 7:17am On Apr 14, 2018
Farmerforlife:
It is a great book. Chinua Achebe is a good writer, and he is not the only Igbo writer that has great content, Elechi Amadi and Chukwuemeka Ike are also outstanding writers.

I can't say I agree with quite a few of the other books that I have read being on that list though. I did not like the Invisible man, Don Quixote, and Anna Karenina, but I guess tastes differ. 'The great gatsby', 'the color purple', Jane Eyre', 'a passage to India' are all great reads. I highly reccomend them to those who are thinking of reading them.

Now to look for free online downloads of 'Beloved', 'one hundred years of solitude' and 'Mrs Dalloway'.
I read The Invisible Man.... but like you...didn't like it. Now I am living in that space.....and can reflect and appreciate it a whole lot because I can now relate. Added to that.... I often go to the building where the author lived... knows the apartment where he lived...and have heard about him from persons who knew him.
This was erected in his honour ... he lived in the building in the background (which has an interesting history)

Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by schurley(m): 10:41am On Apr 15, 2018
gustav25:
send me a mail and I will send you the arrow of god

Plz can you send it to me too @ samueloluwashola18@gmail. com.... tanks in advance sir
Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by Nobody: 11:13pm On Apr 15, 2018
Wow,
I just saw this post the other day and meant to comment on it!
I am familiar with each book on the list except for one. I was so excited because, having been a lover of books, "this" particular book was on my reading list when I was in the 12th grade (senior). I had one of the best English teachers ever and she required us to read this book.
It was and is required reading in many high schools, private schools, colleges and universities in the U.S.
Folks, when I tell you that the moment I began reading this book, I couldn't PUT IT DOWN......I am telling you no lie.
There was something mesmerizing, captivating and hypnotic about the way in which Dr. Achebe wrote this story...something that I can't quite put my finger on....
When I tell u that I was saddened when I got to the end.....boy oh boy. It was one of those times where one could read and read and read...
Regardless of race, nation, kindred or tribe....if a book is fantastically written....then it is fantastically written...
And this is one of those books....
My English teacher had us recreate a village scene where the men (boys) were gathered around...and the women (girls) had to serve them!
The girls were very hesitant at first (this is the U.S. folks) but the boys were so proud and happy...
We all ate African stew over rice...which this particular teacher prepared... and it was stupendous!
I got to college and saw "Things Fall Apart" again! I wanted to scream that I had read the book already and could give a synopsis...but I just kept quiet...
This is a well-deserved honor...
Although he wrote more books, I honestly don't know how Dr. Achebe could've followed up such a superbly written story.....

2 Likes

Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by 0ldirtybastard(m): 9:03am On Jul 05, 2018
koladebrainiac:

Things Fall Apart, the first novel written by late Nigerian literary icon, Chinua Achebe, has made the list of 12 "Greatest Books Ever Written" compiled by Encyclopedia Britannica.

According to the compilation written by John Pecoraro, the book, which now exists in 57 translations across the world, is one of the greatest ever written novels on the website of Encyclopedia Britannica in recent times.

Things Fall Apart, often considered Achebe's best, is the most widely read book in modern African literature.

Other novels that made the list include; "Anna Karenina," by Leo Tolstoy, "To Kill a Mockingbird," by Harper Lee, "The Great Gatsby," by F. Scott Fitzgerald and "One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.
Others are "A Passage to India," by E.M. Forster, "Invisible Man," by Ralph Ellison, "Don Quixote," by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, "Beloved," by Toni Morrison, "Mrs. Dalloway," by Virginia Woolf, "Jane Eyre," by Charlotte Bronte and "The Color Purple," by Alice Walker.

The honour comes months after the 60th anniversary of the publication of the novel and the release of a new edition of the classic novel with cover artwork by Nigerian artist, Victor Ekpuk
http://allafrica.com/stories/201804100016.html?utm_campaign=allafrica%3Aeditor&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

The author of "invisible man" is H.G. WELLS. Review and correct, op.
Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by koladebrainiac(m): 1:15pm On Jul 05, 2018
0ldirtybastard:

The author of "invisible man" is H.G. WELLS. Review and correct, op.
sorry it is not the H.G WELLS .

1 Like

Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by mj245: 9:46am On Jul 14, 2018
pls can someone help me with a link where i can download things fall apart,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 82nd Birthday Today / Blemished Love By Loudest Thoughts / Chidi Nwaogu, Just Broke A Fresh Guinness World For Longest Credit On A Book

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.