Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,427 members, 7,815,963 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:19 PM

How To Secure A Car Battery While On Vacation - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How To Secure A Car Battery While On Vacation (9636 Views)

Since Petrol Is Now 650per Litter, Our Car Is On Vacation! / See The Thousands Of Laptop Battery Cells Used In Tesla Car Battery Parks / I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Secure A Car Battery While On Vacation by partnerbiz4: 4:08pm On Apr 10, 2018
This is a car battery bought this year.

I am the only one at home now and will soon be away for months

What do I do ensure that the battery is okay when I return?

Re: How To Secure A Car Battery While On Vacation by Nobody: 2:40am On Apr 11, 2018
I use a solar powered trickle charger. Costs about $10 and works perfectly.

4 Likes

Re: How To Secure A Car Battery While On Vacation by diportivo: 6:45am On Apr 11, 2018
EgunMogaji:
I use a solar powered trickle charger. Costs about $10 and works perfectly.

hopefully rats won't chew on the cables before he gets back

I like this device tho....

op

locate lookman,that danfo driver that plies ur route....let him use ur battery while u are away grin

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How To Secure A Car Battery While On Vacation by Ikwokrikwo: 7:31am On Apr 11, 2018
Lend it out

1 Like

Re: How To Secure A Car Battery While On Vacation by Ijeshalomo(m): 7:33am On Apr 11, 2018
Tell some1 to warm your car once in a month while away
Re: How To Secure A Car Battery While On Vacation by Smasma: 7:33am On Apr 11, 2018
Remove the battery from the car and store in a cool and dry place.
Don't keep on a cement floor, rather on top of a wooden platform.
With this , the battery can stay up to 2 months without running down or out of current.

18 Likes

Re: How To Secure A Car Battery While On Vacation by Sadejos(m): 7:34am On Apr 11, 2018
What is dis one doing on the front page

Back to the matter.... is he asking or telling us what to do for our battery to last longer while on vacation

1 Like

Re: How To Secure A Car Battery While On Vacation by Sarang(f): 7:39am On Apr 11, 2018
smiley

Please see my signature
Re: How To Secure A Car Battery While On Vacation by ibkgab001: 7:42am On Apr 11, 2018
Sell it and buy new one when you come
Re: How To Secure A Car Battery While On Vacation by Gracesofar(m): 7:42am On Apr 11, 2018
Am also a novice at this. Nice question OP. Probably dz can help my mum too who might not touch her car for months nd will keep complaining when the battery z gone that her neighbours changed her new battery.

Flowing dz....

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Secure A Car Battery While On Vacation by Gracesofar(m): 7:43am On Apr 11, 2018
Smasma:
Remove the battery from the car and store in a cool and dry place.
Don't keep on a cement floor, rather on top of a wooden platform.
With this , the battery can stay up to 2 months without running down or out of current.

Texted and proved by you?
Re: How To Secure A Car Battery While On Vacation by NobleEngineer(m): 7:43am On Apr 11, 2018
Just unplug the negative terminal on the battery....its a baddo Move
Re: How To Secure A Car Battery While On Vacation by xreal: 7:45am On Apr 11, 2018
Whenever I will be away for about 2 weeks and no one around to drive the car, I just unplug the positive and negative terminals.

But if this period will last over 2 weeks, I just hand it over to my battery charger friend who ensures and assures me that my battery will be in a better condition for free(which is actually true at all times).

Note: Your battery will be rented out to commercial drivers.

2 Likes

Re: How To Secure A Car Battery While On Vacation by Nobody: 7:48am On Apr 11, 2018
Almost all the batteries sold today in the Nigerian market are trash! The wisest thing I ever did was to ask a friend who visited Japan to buy an original Exide Edge AGM 710 CCA battery for me. The day I respected that battery was when I travelled for over 4 months for a course and left it in the car unplugged. Came back and the battery still kicked in. No jump-starting, no recharging. If my car catches fire today (God forbid) I'll save the battery first before thinking of the car.

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Secure A Car Battery While On Vacation by Gracesofar(m): 7:50am On Apr 11, 2018
partnerbiz4:

Your question made me surf the internet. And I got a lot tips on how to maintain a car while going on a long vacation. Anyway I copied the part concerning the battery. You can thank me later

It is better to remove the battery if you're going away for a long time. Also, smear petroleum jelly or grease on the terminals and the wire ends to prevent rusting. Ensure that the battery is fully charged and top up the water level. Store the battery in a cool and dry place, well away from direct sunlight.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Secure A Car Battery While On Vacation by jeron1(m): 7:51am On Apr 11, 2018
Na wa o.... Some people will boldly answer wrong thing and be confident thats why we have many people failing today in exams and life cos they dont know and will pass that wrong info around.

Op, I am an MARINE Electrical Electronics officer and I will tell u d solution, just take d battery to a battery charger and tell him to remove d Acid Solution from inside, either keep it in a keg and take it home or leave it for him cos the solution is cheap.. Once the acid solution isn't inside, there won't be reaction in d cells so the cells are safe

I'm currently away from hom and will be away from home for a very long time till maybe December so that was what I did also to my battery

Giving it to someone isnt an assurance of the safeness of ur battery.

Removing the terminals and when u cone back, d cells are dead cos of acid reaction...

Thank me later

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Secure A Car Battery While On Vacation by autotrader014(m): 7:53am On Apr 11, 2018
Just unplug the battery head and thats all. If you like stay 6months, if you come back, plug and start.. grin

Meanwhile we do upgrade of cars, incase you want to upgrade your Land Rover LR3 to LR4, Range Rover sports, Landcruiser jeeps, Lexus jeeps. It is our job.

Below is a pics of an upgraded Land Rover, before and after pics

Our office is at No 50 stadium road, Port Harcourt. No matter where you are, we can upgrade your car and give you a feeling of a new car.

Call or whatsapp 09056222781

4 Likes

Re: How To Secure A Car Battery While On Vacation by xreal: 7:59am On Apr 11, 2018
prince3009:
Almost all the batteries sold today in the Nigerian market are trash! The wisest thing I ever did was to ask a friend who visited Japan to buy an original Exide Edge AGM 710 CCA battery for me. The day I respected that battery was when I travelled for over 4 months for a course and left it in the car unplugged. Came back and the battery still kicked in. No jump-starting, no recharging. If my car catches fire today (God forbid) I'll save the battery first before thinking of the car.

Lol @ bolded.

Which airline?
Do they allow such on their flight?

2 Likes

Re: How To Secure A Car Battery While On Vacation by Nobody: 8:04am On Apr 11, 2018
xreal:

Lol @ bolded.

Which airline?

He "DHLed" it.
Re: How To Secure A Car Battery While On Vacation by xreal: 8:07am On Apr 11, 2018
prince3009:

He "DHLed" it.

That will be very expensive.
Re: How To Secure A Car Battery While On Vacation by kunlesehan(m): 8:10am On Apr 11, 2018
Gracesofar:

Your question made me surf the internet. And I got a lot tips on how to maintain a car while going on a long vacation. Anyway I copied the part concerning the battery. You can thank me later

It is better to remove the battery if you're going away for a long time. Also, smear petroleum jelly or grease on the terminals and the wire ends to prevent rusting. Ensure that the battery is fully charged and top up the water level. Store the battery in a cool and dry place, well away from direct sunlight.

Thanks for this
Re: How To Secure A Car Battery While On Vacation by Nobody: 8:16am On Apr 11, 2018
xreal:

That will be very expensive.

Very! But it was worth it. Better than buying crap here in Nigeria and having it drained, spend money recharging, deep cycling and probably buying another crap again and the cycle continues. After everything, you end up spending the same amount used in getting the original outside or even more.

Re: How To Secure A Car Battery While On Vacation by DLuciano: 8:24am On Apr 11, 2018
xreal:

Lol @ bolded.

Which airline?
Don't mind him, he is a bloody liar!

3 Likes

Re: How To Secure A Car Battery While On Vacation by Gracesofar(m): 8:30am On Apr 11, 2018
kunlesehan:

Thanks for this

U r welcome bro might need ur help some other time

1 Like

Re: How To Secure A Car Battery While On Vacation by Jethrolite(m): 8:37am On Apr 11, 2018
partnerbiz4:

The option that costs no money is disconnecting the battery terminal.
Re: How To Secure A Car Battery While On Vacation by vitality22(m): 9:01am On Apr 11, 2018
autotrader014:
Just unplug the battery head and thats all. If you like stay 6months, if you come back, plug and start.. grin

Meanwhile we do upgrade of cars, incase you want to upgrade your Land Rover LR3 to LR4, Range Rover sports, Landcruiser jeeps, Lexus jeeps. It is our job.

Our office is at No 50 stadium road, Port Harcourt. No matter where you are, we can upgrade your car and give you a feeling of a new car.

How much will it cost to upgrade a Nissan Xterra SUV
Re: How To Secure A Car Battery While On Vacation by lonelydora: 9:38am On Apr 11, 2018
Look for a taxi or bus man and let it to him. Tell him he must return it in good shape once you return.
Re: How To Secure A Car Battery While On Vacation by judgedredd22(m): 10:16am On Apr 11, 2018
NobleEngineer:
Just unplug the negative terminal on the battery....its a baddo Move

not negative... you unplug the positive terminal...

i have a car parked with a new battery, haven't been driven since december, i just used the battery to start another car on friday! still sharp!!
Re: How To Secure A Car Battery While On Vacation by judgedredd22(m): 10:17am On Apr 11, 2018
autotrader014:

sure guy!! you sabi!! grin grin
Re: How To Secure A Car Battery While On Vacation by mu2sa2: 11:02am On Apr 11, 2018
prince3009:
There are high quality car batteries in the market in nigeria but you have to look for them because the small shops don't stock them. At present I'm using sealed korean-made Hankook battery i bought 25k and no complaint. I have used similar maintenance- free original Korean batteries in the past - and they last a minimum of 36 months before packing up. My advice is, don't buy chinco no matter what the seller tells you.

2 Likes

Re: How To Secure A Car Battery While On Vacation by babatee1985(m): 11:09am On Apr 11, 2018
prince3009:
Guess your car is volkswagen beetle

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerian Motorsport Team Presents Drivers In Maiden Tour / As A New Driver, Can I Attempt Interstate Roads? / 10 Things Every Woman Needs In Her Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.