Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,201 members, 7,815,190 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:46 AM

Building Bus-Stops & Terminals; Is It Solving The Transport Challenge Of Lagos? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Building Bus-Stops & Terminals; Is It Solving The Transport Challenge Of Lagos? (9043 Views)

Lagosians Stranded At Bus Stops. What's The Situation In Your Area? / 5 Most Popular Bus Stops In Lagos / The Typical Lagos Bus-Stops, On A Monday Morning (PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Building Bus-Stops & Terminals; Is It Solving The Transport Challenge Of Lagos? by autojosh: 9:49am On Apr 12, 2018

Anyone traveling in the evenings along most major roads in Lagos would notice one thing: huge crowds of stranded commuters at bus stops waiting for the arrival of available commercial buses.

Many of these commuters are stranded for hours at the various bus stops, due to the non-arrival of available commercial vehicles. This often leads to many Lagosians arriving home late from work.

In recent times, focus by the current administration has been on the road transport infrastructure.

There have been projects focused towards the reconstruction and rebranding of bus stops, transport interchanges, and other road traffic infrastructure. In addition, hundreds of brand new BRT buses have been introduced into the system. Still, with all these, coupled with the Danfos, Keke Marwas, Okadas, etc, – demand still exceeds supply.

Indeed, all these projects initiated by the current administration are fantastic and laudable ones.

However, with the huge number of stranded commuters we see on the roads, it would appear that the solution to the Lagos state transportation challenge goes beyond constructing fancy bus terminals and transport interchanges.

Perhaps, other modes of mass transport should be given urgent attention in order to decongest the roads.

By the way, what exactly is the reason for the delay in the completion of the Lagos light rail project?

What about the Lagos Cable Car Project instituted by the Fashola administration?

Why isn’t the same urgent attention given to the inland waterways transport system?

Why can’t all these systems be given the same degree of urgent attention as the one given to Bus stops, terminals and interchanges?

https://autojosh.com/over-concentration-on-road-transport-systems-is-it-solving-the-transport-challenge-of-lagos-state/

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Building Bus-Stops & Terminals; Is It Solving The Transport Challenge Of Lagos? by Nobody: 11:14am On Apr 12, 2018
Autojosh on the beat!

Lalasticlalala grin

7 Likes

Re: Building Bus-Stops & Terminals; Is It Solving The Transport Challenge Of Lagos? by Tolbanks(f): 11:16am On Apr 12, 2018
It should... to a very large extent

1 Like

Re: Building Bus-Stops & Terminals; Is It Solving The Transport Challenge Of Lagos? by ta4ba3(m): 11:17am On Apr 12, 2018
It's not only solving the transport challenge but improving lagos state economy... kudos to ambode.... eko oni baje

6 Likes

Re: Building Bus-Stops & Terminals; Is It Solving The Transport Challenge Of Lagos? by RogueX: 11:17am On Apr 12, 2018
It helps abate the issue if there are bigger bus terminals and better lay by and slip roads.

But we will be lieing to ourselves if we feel it's going to be THE solution. With one of the highest population densities in the world, we need to be inventive.

Unfortunately Buhari killed the metro, the rail development has rapidly slowed down, 4th Mainland bridge has entered voicemail and most disappointingly, the waterways are being under utilized. The cable car initiative was dead from the start.

So they need that as well as initiatives to decongest Lagos (like sorting out the national rail so people can live in Ibadan and work in Lagos as well opening other ports in the east/ south South so people can move out)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Building Bus-Stops & Terminals; Is It Solving The Transport Challenge Of Lagos? by three: 11:17am On Apr 12, 2018
No, as those who use 3rd Mainland bridge will attest.
(specifically referring to the backed up traffic at the Oworo Bus park at the bottom of 3rd Mainland Bridge)

The empirical challenge with Traffic is VOLUME

YOU CANNOT OUTBUILD INFRASTRUCTURE TO CATER FOR CARS

Lagos does not have a comprehensive functional transportation system.

There is no existing metro rail system. The Blue line when commissioned will still be inadequate to serve the 20million plus population

There should be a bus stop 5 minutes walking distance from every house

30 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Building Bus-Stops & Terminals; Is It Solving The Transport Challenge Of Lagos? by olaolulazio(m): 11:17am On Apr 12, 2018
Ask www.lagosstategovt.org or @Ambode on tweeter.
Re: Building Bus-Stops & Terminals; Is It Solving The Transport Challenge Of Lagos? by SIMPLYkush: 11:18am On Apr 12, 2018
FVCK BUHARI

1 Like

Re: Building Bus-Stops & Terminals; Is It Solving The Transport Challenge Of Lagos? by Timoleon(m): 11:18am On Apr 12, 2018
Rightly observed here by autojosh. One true mark of a metropolitan city is the diversification of its transport system hence allowing for more mobility of goods, services and persons. This is not too say all transportation related challenges disappeared into thin air but at least ease what could have been a worse ordeal as there will always be a continuous influx of people in every metropolitan settlement. The Lagos case is quite sad especially when you consider that some of the projects pointed out by autojosh were initiated by Fashola as such, after 3years we ought to be able to see the fruits. This is not to say the Ambode government is not doing anything as regard transportation, recently I was in alimosho and I can at least testify to many of the roads commissioned by the governor.

To address the main question at hand however, does building bus terminal and bus stops address the transportation challenges of Lagosians? the obvious answer is no. What it however attempts to address is one or some of the issues we have especially in road transport. The op mentioned that commuters often have to wait sometimes up to hours for commercial vehicles to come back to the park. One reason why it takes long for these vehicles to return to the parks is because of the traffic jams often encountered on majority of Lagos roads. You would most likely agree with me that one of the factors for the stress lagosians go through is this traffic jam and a reoccurring cause of this traffic jam is indiscriminate parking and stopping of vehicles especially by commercial vehicles. if these bus terminals and bus stops built are strictly adhered to, this can ease traffic jam in a lot of areas. Hence, buses return to parks to pick commuters early hence easing some stress for Lagosians.

Like u have said, there's a whole lot to be done the government must keep all hands on deck. Focusing on road transportation alone is not the way to go especially if you want to pride yourself as a metropolitan state. Citizens must be able to have options, water ways, the rail, air and of course land. Whatever project a government is able to initiate and complete should be commended as government is a continuum (though I am more worried about the cost). However for a country like Nigeria and a state like Lagos, if the projects don't address the needs an challenges if the people, it will only result in setbacks.

By the way, don't know what kind of grass White Elephants eat.

4 Likes

Re: Building Bus-Stops & Terminals; Is It Solving The Transport Challenge Of Lagos? by GavelSlam: 11:19am On Apr 12, 2018
The dignity and physical condition of the traveller and his luggage must be retained.
Re: Building Bus-Stops & Terminals; Is It Solving The Transport Challenge Of Lagos? by Johnson5258: 11:19am On Apr 12, 2018
Yes it is, at least no more chasing of bus and parking to pick passengers on motion, so it excellent.

1 Like

Re: Building Bus-Stops & Terminals; Is It Solving The Transport Challenge Of Lagos? by anochuko01(m): 11:19am On Apr 12, 2018
yeah. because one of the causes of poor traffic is when vehicles park by the road side to pick and drop passengers.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Building Bus-Stops & Terminals; Is It Solving The Transport Challenge Of Lagos? by desmond2pk: 11:19am On Apr 12, 2018
When a government has no vision, building bus stops becomes achievements

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Building Bus-Stops & Terminals; Is It Solving The Transport Challenge Of Lagos? by jashar(f): 11:21am On Apr 12, 2018
hmm...

As for the busstop built at Ojodu Berger, i know for a fact that most buses coming from Mowe don't enter the garage to drop off passengers. The reason being that they would have to pay the 'agberos' if they use the garage just to drop off passengers. And i've seen it happen...

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Building Bus-Stops & Terminals; Is It Solving The Transport Challenge Of Lagos? by ZarahBuhari: 11:25am On Apr 12, 2018
All was just decorations cheesy

1 Like

Re: Building Bus-Stops & Terminals; Is It Solving The Transport Challenge Of Lagos? by Gerrard59(m): 11:30am On Apr 12, 2018
No.

What is the name of the city in the 21st century that has more than 20 million residents and has no functional train system?

4 Likes

Re: Building Bus-Stops & Terminals; Is It Solving The Transport Challenge Of Lagos? by Fesomu(m): 11:30am On Apr 12, 2018
I was planning to enter lekki through boat but my father called from America to warn against it. He prefers me going by road.. Op I hope u can see the reason our roads are congested
Re: Building Bus-Stops & Terminals; Is It Solving The Transport Challenge Of Lagos? by Fesomu(m): 11:31am On Apr 12, 2018
Gerrard59:
No.

What is the name of the city in the 21st century that has more than 20 million residents and has no functional train system?
nuisance, what's the name of your state?

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Building Bus-Stops & Terminals; Is It Solving The Transport Challenge Of Lagos? by Paperwhite(m): 11:32am On Apr 12, 2018
That is a nice workable concept globally @ present.
Re: Building Bus-Stops & Terminals; Is It Solving The Transport Challenge Of Lagos? by Fesomu(m): 11:33am On Apr 12, 2018
SIMPLYkush:
FVCK BUHARI
Bleep your dad

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Building Bus-Stops & Terminals; Is It Solving The Transport Challenge Of Lagos? by Gerrard59(m): 11:36am On Apr 12, 2018
Fesomu:
nuisance, what's the name of your state?

You are a cretinous fvcktard!!

What has my state of origin got to do with a state not having an efficient transport network? According to your "logic", a resident in Lagos should have no say in her affairs because s/he might not be an indigene of the state?

Which school did you finish from?

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Building Bus-Stops & Terminals; Is It Solving The Transport Challenge Of Lagos? by Nobody: 11:37am On Apr 12, 2018
Critical transport infrastructure should be built and not peripheral sketch.

1 Like

Re: Building Bus-Stops & Terminals; Is It Solving The Transport Challenge Of Lagos? by MimiShopping: 11:39am On Apr 12, 2018
Fesomu:
I was planning to enter lekki through boat but my father called from America to warn against it. He prefers me going by road.. Op I hope u can see the reason our roads are congested
cheesy because he knows if the boat capsizes, no rescue team to rescue u and other passengers.

Lagos need mono rail, buses, cars and coasters cannot handle Lagos transport outburst.

Its unfortunate that African governments and leaders are wicked, selfish, vision less and stupid too angry

3 Likes

Re: Building Bus-Stops & Terminals; Is It Solving The Transport Challenge Of Lagos? by GavelSlam: 11:42am On Apr 12, 2018
Gerrard59:

You are a cretinous fvcktard!!

What has my state of origin got to do with a state not having an efficient transport network? According to your "logic", a resident in Lagos should have no say in her affairs because s/he might not be an indigene of the state?

Which school did you finish from?

Though there is no functional rail service in Lagos today can you deny seeing work being carried out on stanchions and railroutes ?

Can you deny transport in Lagos is better today than many moons ago?
Re: Building Bus-Stops & Terminals; Is It Solving The Transport Challenge Of Lagos? by BigBen10: 11:44am On Apr 12, 2018
You have a raised a serious concern. I personally see these projects as decorations or Lagos State attempt to organize people. Make Lagos look posh but in reality it doesn't address the underlying problem.

2 Likes

Re: Building Bus-Stops & Terminals; Is It Solving The Transport Challenge Of Lagos? by TheAngry1: 11:48am On Apr 12, 2018
Bus stops are very important. Aside providing shelter for members of the public, it also serves as a lay-by for vehicles, thereby freeing up the road and allowing for free flow of traffic. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with LASG's bus stops and lay-by projects. I have noticed that negativity is a default setting of most Nigerians, it is so endemic to the extent that it has become shameful to be called Nigerian. EVERYTHING has a negative side to a Nigerian, EVERYTHING!

2 Likes

Re: Building Bus-Stops & Terminals; Is It Solving The Transport Challenge Of Lagos? by opalu: 11:51am On Apr 12, 2018
three:
No, as those who use 3rd Mainland bridge will attest.
(specifically referring to the backed up traffic at the Oworo Bus park at the bottom of 3rd Mainland Bridge)

The empirical challenge with Traffic is VOLUME

YOU CANNOT OUTBUILD INFRASTRUCTURE TO CATER FOR CARS

Lagos does not have a comprehensive functional transportation system.

There is no existing metro rail system. The Blue line when commissioned will still be inadequate to serve the 20million plus population

There should be a bus stop 5 minutes walking distance from every house

Rail is the best

1 Like

Re: Building Bus-Stops & Terminals; Is It Solving The Transport Challenge Of Lagos? by chukxie(m): 11:51am On Apr 12, 2018
A functional light rail system that traverses the entire length and breadth of Lagos would solve the transportation problems there.
Re: Building Bus-Stops & Terminals; Is It Solving The Transport Challenge Of Lagos? by Laredojohn(m): 12:00pm On Apr 12, 2018
it will , not immediately but with time the moment there are more buses to occupy every terminal
Re: Building Bus-Stops & Terminals; Is It Solving The Transport Challenge Of Lagos? by Gerrard59(m): 12:04pm On Apr 12, 2018
GavelSlam:

Though there is no functional rail service in Lagos today can you deny seeing work being carried out on stanchions and railroutes ?

Can you deny transport in Lagos is better today than many moons ago?

You mean the work that has been in planning since aeons or the second hand trains Fashola went to Canada for sightseeing? Transport can only get better when the infrastructure is commensurate with the increase in population. Building bus-stops like the topic says, IMO, cannot solve Lagos' transport's problems.

chukxie:
A functional light rail system that traverses the entire length and breadth of Lagos would solve the transportation problems there.

Exactly.

Yet the cretin Fesomu believes I can only have a say if I'm an indigene.

5 Likes

Re: Building Bus-Stops & Terminals; Is It Solving The Transport Challenge Of Lagos? by GavelSlam: 12:15pm On Apr 12, 2018
Gerrard59:

You mean the work that has been in planning since aeons or the second hand trains Fashola went to Canada for sightseeing? Transport can only get better when the infrastructure is commensurate with the increase in population. Building bus-stops like the topic says, IMO, cannot solve Lagos' transport's problems.

Exactly.

Yet the cretin Fesomu believes I can only have a say if I'm an indigene.

Let's even assume the carriages were second-hand (and there's nothing that suggests they would be) would that be an improvement on what we have already or not ?

Let me guess, it'll be the next thing to complain about.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Senegal,gambia Or Cape Verde / Need the Airfare From Nigeria To Belize? / Reasons Why You Should Travel Abroad For Greener Pastures If You Get The Chance.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.