Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,130 members, 7,814,946 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:18 AM

Random Promotion At Workplace- How Has It Affected You? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Random Promotion At Workplace- How Has It Affected You? (6056 Views)

Injustice At Workplace; Should I Resign Or Hang On? / Habits That Have Denied You Your Promotion At Work And Stalled Your Career / Coronavirus: How Has It Affected Your Plans For The Year. Share Your Story. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Random Promotion At Workplace- How Has It Affected You? by badoh(m): 2:26pm On Apr 12, 2018
Most people were faced with this scenario one way or the other in their place of work when organization employ random promotion technique in the promotion of staff while you felt cheated in the promotion method adopted. For example, a Bank may decide to promote 200 out of her 400 Executive trainees to Executive Assistants or 150 out of her 300 Executive Assistants to Assistant Banking Officers.The Bank will tell them that majority were qualified to be promoted but that they have a limited space for the positions.
As a staff, you believe your colleague should not be promoted ahead of you since you joined the Bank at the same time and you have met the promotion criteria as well. Whether a random promotion policy is justifiable in a real organization is a matter of concern. The fact remains that the policy would certainly kill any sense of ambition within a workforce, which could lead to demoralization. If you have experienced such practice, kindly share your experience so that people can learn and be educated on how to manage such situations.
I remember when I was at a branch of a commercial Bank some 5yrs ago, I was acting as the business development manager after our manager was redeployed to another Branch and he recommended me(not promotion but leadership responsibility) to the Zonal manager to take over from him at the Branch. We were two under him in marketing unit(though both of us on the same grade). I acted for a year and customers were already used to me as the manager with a special office in the Branch where I attend to them. Alas, after a year, the promotion list came out and my second colleague was promoted a grade above me despite the fact that both of us worked tirelessly to improve the ratings of the branch.
I thought to myself! this is a big shame. I was so depressed and unhappy. I had to vacate that office for my second colleague since she was now a step above me. When I got home, I narrated it to my parents and I cried so much that my Dad and Mum had to console, encourage and asked me to continue to pray. He told me probably it wasn't yet my time to be promoted but that I shouldn't be discouraged.
A year later, my own promotion also came and I gave thanks to God. I learnt two things.
1. No condition is permanent. Never overrate yourself because things can change over time.
2. Reward always come with hard work. It may tarry but will surely come sooner or later.
3. Work smartly. Many people work hard forgetting the fact that working smartly go hand in hand with hard work.

Thank you.
Sometimes, its not how far but how well.

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Random Promotion At Workplace- How Has It Affected You? by Asquare84(m): 3:14pm On Apr 12, 2018
This is exactly what happen in my organisation last week .I was recommended for promotion twice by my supervisor and my promotion was turn down by my M.D, it happened last two years and this year while other of my colleague that did not meet up with their target last year where promoted ahead of me I was able to meet my target but yet my promotion was drop. Immediately this happen my supervisor called me and advice me to start searching for another job. As it is now the management of my organisation have gang up to frustrate me, but before then I will Bleep them up

16 Likes

Re: Random Promotion At Workplace- How Has It Affected You? by pxjosh(m): 6:45am On Jul 27, 2018
Na only who get work dey look for promotion

13 Likes

Re: Random Promotion At Workplace- How Has It Affected You? by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:45am On Jul 27, 2018
Speaking as a CEO on random promotion at work : Our first thought would be how the employees would react.
If we tell our employees that promotion is based on randomness, the motivation to do a good job and to work hard is going to drop dramatically. Why go the extra mile if it's not going to be recognized and if my less competent co-worker could get randomly promoted ahead of me?
And on the other hand, the reverse May be the case.
It all depends.
Re: Random Promotion At Workplace- How Has It Affected You? by Viking007(m): 6:49am On Jul 27, 2018
It's all about office politics and ''asss licking''. Do both of this well and watch your promotion grow like a soaked garri. It doesn't matter whether you are competent or worthy of the promotion or not. This is how the Nigerian office politics is played.

27 Likes

Re: Random Promotion At Workplace- How Has It Affected You? by okomile(f): 6:49am On Jul 27, 2018
Immediately you notice, start looking for another job. The frustration might lead to high BP.

Dust up your certificates. That is why it is good to have professional certificates too. Don't be at the mercy of any organization

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Random Promotion At Workplace- How Has It Affected You? by edeXede: 6:49am On Jul 27, 2018
embarassed
Re: Random Promotion At Workplace- How Has It Affected You? by englishmart(m): 6:50am On Jul 27, 2018
It has not affected me, yet.
Thanks for understanding. Lol

1 Like

Re: Random Promotion At Workplace- How Has It Affected You? by Yelutide: 6:53am On Jul 27, 2018
... Demotion leads to depression... Stagnation simply shows you are not moving forward but promotion motivates you to work harder, give your best. it is the best form of "incentive" to motivate an employer that you truly appreciate what they do.

1 Like

Re: Random Promotion At Workplace- How Has It Affected You? by buchilino(m): 7:00am On Jul 27, 2018
WE DAT WORK IN A FEDERAL GOVT AGENCY HAS GOTTEN USED 2 SUCH TREATMENT. ITS EVEN WORSE 4 U IF UR AN IGBO PERSON.

3 Likes

Re: Random Promotion At Workplace- How Has It Affected You? by pocohantas(f): 7:07am On Jul 27, 2018
It is in almost every organisation, not only banks.

At a point at work, your appraisal results move from what you know to who you know. It is not only about working hard, how well do you familiarise with the ogas at the top? An organisation can't just promote everyone because you have stayed the required duration on a level, that's expensive for them. So, they will do their best to reduce the number of staff that'll be promoted.

Of course performance will count, but favouritism would also come in. Work your way into your boss's heart, that's what I did with mine.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Random Promotion At Workplace- How Has It Affected You? by AntiWailer: 7:21am On Jul 27, 2018
If u are a performer
Re: Random Promotion At Workplace- How Has It Affected You? by don4real18(m): 7:25am On Jul 27, 2018
G
Re: Random Promotion At Workplace- How Has It Affected You? by Asquare84(m): 7:38am On Jul 27, 2018
Asquare84:
This is exactly what happen in my organisation last week .I was recommended for promotion twice by my supervisor and my promotion was turn down by my M.D, it happened last two years and this year while other of my colleague that did not meet up with their target last year where promoted ahead of me I was able to meet my target but yet my promotion was drop. Immediately this happen my supervisor called me and advice me to start searching for another job. As it is now the management of my organisation have gang up to frustrate me, but before then I will Bleep them up

Opp this topic have stayed too long before hitting front page well I was the first to comment then because the topic affected me directly, anyway all for good because of the injustice my organisation did to me I have secure another mouthering job offer with two times of my current salary any moment from now I will be resigning

7 Likes

Re: Random Promotion At Workplace- How Has It Affected You? by ednut1(m): 7:39am On Jul 27, 2018
Learn how to work harder and start licking a## . when u get home wash the poo off ur mouth cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Random Promotion At Workplace- How Has It Affected You? by Baileyz101(m): 7:46am On Jul 27, 2018
Reason why Government work is the best. Oja wa oja osi.. owo alabaru ma pe

1 Like

Re: Random Promotion At Workplace- How Has It Affected You? by Icon4s(m): 7:50am On Jul 27, 2018
Asquare84:

There are several criteria being considered before staff are promoted. Meeting targets alone are not enough.

My advice is continue working hard to meet targets and develop your competencies in several other areas. God rewards hardwork. When your time for promotion comes no one can stop it.

cc: badoh
Re: Random Promotion At Workplace- How Has It Affected You? by Nobody: 7:57am On Jul 27, 2018
pocohantas:

At a point at work, your appraisal results move from what you know to who you know. It is not only about working hard, how well do you familiarise with the ogas at the top? An organisation can't just promote everyone because you have stayed the required duration on a level, that's expensive for them. So, they will do their best to reduce the number of staff that'll be promoted.

Of course performance will count, but favouritism would also come in. Work your way into your boss's heart, that's what I did with mine.
By this I assume u mean by riding his d'ck wink wink cheesy
Re: Random Promotion At Workplace- How Has It Affected You? by ProfGday(m): 8:03am On Jul 27, 2018
Timely promotion is based on how good you are in being an ass licker for your bosses...Only few organisations rewards their employees based on their efficiencies on the job... So if you can't beat them join them and when you get to the top,change things for others to benefit

1 Like

Re: Random Promotion At Workplace- How Has It Affected You? by AfroSamurai: 8:14am On Jul 27, 2018
Badoh, did it occur to you that your female colleague who got promoted before you, use bottom power? LOL.
Re: Random Promotion At Workplace- How Has It Affected You? by AfroSamurai: 8:16am On Jul 27, 2018
krattoss:

By this I assume u mean by riding his d'ck wink wink cheesy
you know. grin cheesy
Re: Random Promotion At Workplace- How Has It Affected You? by obajoey(m): 8:16am On Jul 27, 2018
remember me in your kingdom.
Asquare84:

Opp this topic have stayed too long before hitting front page well I was the first to comment then because the topic affected me directly, anyway all for good because of the injustice my organisation did to me I have secure another mouthering job offer with two times of my current salary any moment from now I will be resigning
Re: Random Promotion At Workplace- How Has It Affected You? by Nobody: 8:18am On Jul 27, 2018
post=69740538:
Speaking as a CEO on random promotion at work : Our first thought would be how the employees would react.
If we tell our employees that promotion is based on randomness, the motivation to do a good job and to work hard is going to drop dramatically. Why go the extra mile if it's not going to be recognized and if my less competent co-worker could get randomly promoted ahead of me?
And on the other hand, the reverse May be the case.
It all depends.

Shallow
Re: Random Promotion At Workplace- How Has It Affected You? by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:24am On Jul 27, 2018
faceURfront:

Shallow
What do you know?
Common faceURfront!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Random Promotion At Workplace- How Has It Affected You? by Nobody: 8:37am On Jul 27, 2018
pocohantas:

The fastest route to a man's heart is through his stomach riding on his diiick.

I see you have been putting those culinary skills to good use. wink
Re: Random Promotion At Workplace- How Has It Affected You? by hfiuds: 8:38am On Jul 27, 2018
Get NGO Website At Value You Can Get Anywhere else!

Let’s support you to continue to put smiles on faces....the Digital Way

Get NOW for N19,999!

You also get a FREE Brand Logo plus other incredible add-ons!

Re: Random Promotion At Workplace- How Has It Affected You? by spencekat(m): 8:40am On Jul 27, 2018
Viking007:
It's all about office politics and asss licking. Do both of this well and watch your promotion grow like a soaked garri. It doesn't matter whether you are competent or worthy of the promotion or not. This is how the Nigerian office politics is played.
Nigerian office politics sucks

2 Likes

Re: Random Promotion At Workplace- How Has It Affected You? by mascot87(m): 8:43am On Jul 27, 2018
In my own case, tribalism on the part of management affected me where a less competent staff is promoted ahead of me. Anyway, i am leaving them for good. I deserve better in life

1 Like

Re: Random Promotion At Workplace- How Has It Affected You? by KevinDein: 8:55am On Jul 27, 2018
In the institution I work, employees are required to pass an exam before they are promoted. Recently just found out that my boss sends the questions and answers to her favourite employees. SMH. Explains why dundee heads get to rise up the ladder at the expense of genuinely brilliant guys.

Lost every ounce of respect I used to have for her.

2 Likes

Re: Random Promotion At Workplace- How Has It Affected You? by pocohantas(f): 9:01am On Jul 27, 2018
oyb:

The fastest route to a man's heart is through his stomach riding on his diiick. I see you have been putting those culinary skills to good use. wink

My boss is a woman actually and I am no lesbian.
I do give her food sometimes though...

1 Like

Re: Random Promotion At Workplace- How Has It Affected You? by seyigiggle: 9:05am On Jul 27, 2018
reward does not always comes with hard work. rule that out!

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ur Boss Slapped U: What Would You Do? / First Bank Pay Now 2.2 Million Naira? / 80% Of First Class, Second Class Upper Applicants Failed Nnpc Exam - Gmd

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.