Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,204 members, 7,811,546 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 02:23 PM

Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? (26892 Views)

I Have A BSc Degree And Want To Join The Army / Do I Need A Degree To Become An HMO Officer? / See The Youngest Mechanic Apprentice In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by ewa20buredi100: 10:24pm On Apr 14, 2018
Hi,
I need your advice or counsel on this issue that has been giving me sleepless night.
I am sharing this on nairaland because i feel there are men and women of mature minds and who have lots of experiences on here from diverse walks of life who can be of help.

I have been unemployed for almost 10months now, though before now i worked as a Chemistry teacher for some years until tragedy struck early last year(lost a very vital person in my life). I had to quit the teaching job (because the incident happened at the time where the senior students were preparing for their WASSCE) and as the first born i had funeral rites to perform.
After the burial things weren't too pleasant with me, so i had to re-locate from Lagos to Benin (to stay with an Uncle). My plan was that after everything i would go for any professional course or do one of these HSE courses to boost my chances of getting a job, but due to re-location and financial constraint i had to think of something else.

It happens that where i am currently staying in Benin; along Benin-Agbor road, close to NNPC depot before Benin-Agbor by-pass; has this influx of trailers and heavy duty trucks transporting goods and PMS/diesel/coaltar to and from other states.
Hence the availability of lots of truck's spare-parts markets in the area as well truck mechanics with shops everywhere dealing in repairs of different types of truck (Scania, MACK, M.A.N diesel, etc).

Being that i have been idle for a while now, a thought just came to me that instead of staying idle why not apply to be a Diesel Injector engine mechanic apprentice.

I want to know if that thought is worth giving a try and what are the things that may likely happen being that i did not read an engineering course from the University and what may become of my life. I am 28years of age.

Please help a brother by pushing it to front page mod.
1forall

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by Nobody: 10:25pm On Apr 14, 2018
What do you hv bsc in
Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by SUPERPACK: 10:30pm On Apr 14, 2018
When the Desirable is not available, The available becomes the Desirable.

145 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by JerryLegend(m): 10:40pm On Apr 14, 2018
As long as you foresee a bright future in the work. Remember be diligent,respectful and your education should make a difference in how you relate with people. May God guide and bless you.

12 Likes

Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by donstan18: 10:41pm On Apr 14, 2018
Oga, cut down your pride and hustle.............28 years no be beans oo.

Ego and what people will say are the problems of most young men these days.

128 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by ewa20buredi100: 10:52pm On Apr 14, 2018
FortifiedCity:
What do you hv bsc in
Industrial Chemistry

13 Likes

Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by Nobody: 10:54pm On Apr 14, 2018
ewa20buredi100:

Industrial Chemistry
Do whatever ypu can but make sure you start something of your own.

Meanwhile there is a woman that fries sweet akara outside my estate, she needs an apprentice, You can put up with her for the mean time

20 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by ewa20buredi100: 11:00pm On Apr 14, 2018
donstan18:
Oga, cut down your pride and hustle.............28 years no be beans oo.

Ego and what people will say are the problems of most young men these days.
Sir, I just have this fear of uncertainty of what may become of me in years to come and again the way things are in Nigeria. I don't want to end up regreting the decision.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by donstan18: 11:27pm On Apr 14, 2018
ewa20buredi100:

Sir, I just have this fear of uncertainty of what may become of me in years to come and again the way things are in Nigeria. I don't want to end up regreting the decision.

Every attempt of hustle in this world is a risk and likely to have some atom of regret possibility.

You aren't throwing your certificate, you are going for the available since the desirable is not available, while you indulge in the apprentice work, you'll still be looking for jobs or a fellow to partner and start a chemical related business since that's your field.

I understand you, I sure do, but you have to get something doing at the moment to avoid negative mindset and influence from friends.

Destiny can only be delayed, but can't be denied

124 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by erocorp01: 11:33pm On Apr 14, 2018
Young man...if I had the knowledge I had today trust me I would have learnt a hand work or gone to a more technical school and leave all this BSc issue. I advice you take up the opportunity and learn the hand work it doesn't stop you from being who you are, you can actually be applying for jobs while learning the mechanic, which ever comes first, if u finish and no work well you have a hand work and can stand onenyour own. If a very good job comes and its good enuf to go for then you go. But start doing something. Also being a graduate I believe you would be able to apply your self better and package better than your master, trust me these mechanic guys are quite rich. As long as you don't begin to cheat people and drink and womanise because that's what finishes thier money. Go ahead man, don't ever be scared of failure. NOTHING BEATS HAVING A SKILL OR HAND WORK.

239 Likes 24 Shares

Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by highpriestess: 5:22am On Apr 15, 2018
as long as you are idle, just find something to busy yourself with.
mechanic isn't a bad option,atleast you can be able to fend for yourself.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by graphicsgal3000(f): 7:12am On Apr 15, 2018
r
Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by Lexusgs430: 7:15am On Apr 15, 2018
Been a competent mechanic would constantly put food on your table........

A skill that you can always pick up and drop, when other options become available.....

Bsc certificate is worthless, If its not providing you the employment options you desire.......

52 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by akpur1(m): 7:15am On Apr 15, 2018
Q
Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by Sunnycliff(m): 7:17am On Apr 15, 2018
It's all about passion, fulfilment and provision of your basic needs. If you don't see this in your BSc, but in mechanics u feel better, then go for it... After all, life is not all about certificates but personal fulfilment

9 Likes

Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by feldido(m): 7:17am On Apr 15, 2018
Best choice bro... Thats the reason for your education.
Adaptability.

I dished my degree since I dropped my pen over 10years ago and I don't regret it.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by dake40(m): 7:17am On Apr 15, 2018
What job/work are you currently doing to survive? Nothing?. The uncle you're staying with will soon see you as a disaster.

You already know the answer but you want people to dictate for you, be a man. No knowledge is wasted and that doesn't stop you from being who you want to be.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by delishpot: 7:18am On Apr 15, 2018
Being a mechanic doesnt mean you have to dump your degree. It is a phase face it, make the best out of it and enjoy the ride. Do not see it as bad condition. I have seen CEO of oil companies learning how to cook. Some engineers know carpentry, some pilots learn how to fish. So learning about mecjanics and fixing cars is what it is. LEARNING and there is no need for self pity. Learn it, master the skill and if you find that you like it and can do better with it you do so.

20 Likes

Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by eezeribe(m): 7:18am On Apr 15, 2018
OK

1 Like

Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by otswag(m): 7:19am On Apr 15, 2018
It really isnt a bad idea to think outside the box but have you considered the time required to graduate from this type of apprenticeship? I know mechanics train for many years before their freedom. I suggest you consider other hand works you can learn in a relatively short period of time e. g Tailoring, making shoes, e. T. C which u can pick up in one year. With commitment and a creative eye, u will surely blow cos your crafts alone will advertise themselves.

20 Likes

Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by partnerbiz4: 7:20am On Apr 15, 2018
You can do advanced stuff like diagnostics with machines, not necessarily like the average mech on the street.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by Dayoara: 7:20am On Apr 15, 2018
Dear friend and brother, I will say it's a great chance for you.... Go ahead with the apprenticeship and after becoming a master.... You could pursue a degree course in that line.... It will give you a better leverage in the market not engineer can loose a nut on their personal car..... Bro Godspeed..... From me Dayoara.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by kevoh(m): 7:20am On Apr 15, 2018
For you to have the foresight about heavy duty vehicles passing a certain area and to install yourself to tap from this opportunity means you are a smart person. Don't waste time anymore, go for the mechanic apprentice.

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by Adebowale89(m): 7:21am On Apr 15, 2018
to hustle my brother anything aside joining bokoharam, armrobber, doing yahoo, ritual no job I no fit do oo

take those advise above, handiwork pays, who knows, you might meet your helper there

one just need to take a steps as you're trying to do, nothing to regret in taking steps with your dream

14 Likes

Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by noblesail(m): 7:21am On Apr 15, 2018
It's so important that you have what you can do without your degree. What I'm saying is this, skills are so so important. Grab every opportunity you have to acquire any one.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by Alvin007: 7:22am On Apr 15, 2018
erocorp01:
Young man...if I had the knowledge I had today trust me I would have learnt a hand work or gone to a more technical school and leave all this BSc issue. I advice you take up the opportunity and learn the hand work it doesn't stop you from being who you are, you can actually be applying for jobs while learning the mechanic, which ever comes first, if u finish and no work well you have a hand work and can stand onenyour own. If a very good job comes and its good enuf to go for then you go. But start doing something. Also being a graduate I believe you would be able to apply your self better and package better than your master, trust me these mechanic guys are quite rich. As long as you don't begin to cheat people and drink and womanise because that's what finishes thier money. Go ahead man, don't ever be scared of failure. NOTHING BEATS HAVING A SKILL OR HAND WORK.
Dear Op, kindly, follow this advice.

6 Likes

Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by oluomo2013: 7:22am On Apr 15, 2018
Brother! go ahead with ya plan its a very good one, all u need is packaging. There is money in Automobile business.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by SternProphet: 7:24am On Apr 15, 2018
This is NIGERIAN THINKING at its worst. The IQ is so low that people post meaningless stuff because they are thinking in Nigerian language instead of just thinking. Look at this premise for instance. In what way does doing auto mechanics ( a very good and rewarding line of work ) invalidate your chemistry degree?
Why does one render the other useless and indeed what kind of inferior educational system even develops the mind to think this way?

12 Likes

Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by Day169: 7:24am On Apr 15, 2018
You can take up the apprenticeship until a better opportunity comes your way.
Life is all about planning and taking chances when opportunity knock.
All the best.
Re: Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? by xtophy(m): 7:24am On Apr 15, 2018
Only God and the angels know how people think on this forum. Please, if he possibly put up for the apprenticeship, what will he be eating throughout the years? And hope you guys know how many years it takes to be well grounded in automobile repairs especially if u have bosses that hide works? Guy, please THINK, THINK AND DON'T FORGET TO THINK...SHALOM

7 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Ladies, Which Of These Can You Do For A Living? / I Resigned From The "Land Of Slavery" In 2015, My Testimony Now / Two Senior Nigerian Lawyers Punished, SAN Title Removed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.