Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,788 members, 7,817,262 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:02 AM

How Religion Contributed To Underdevelopment Of Nigeria - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Religion Contributed To Underdevelopment Of Nigeria (814 Views)

The Impetus Of Belief: How Religion Shapes Our Modern World / Christians, Churches And Tithes Are Not Nigeria's Underdevelopment Problems / A Heart-rending Narrative On How Religion Destroyed 'an Ideal Family' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Religion Contributed To Underdevelopment Of Nigeria by Kingsley10000: 8:51am On Apr 15, 2018
China is currently the world's leading economic power, in China there is Zero Church! Finland has the most stable economy in the world today. There are less than twenty churches in Finland! Switzerland has the second most stable economy in the world. Switzerland has fewer than thirty churches! Denmark is the third most stable economy in the world, there are about 23 churches in Denmark. These countries are considered to have the highest number of atheists, but they are blessed! Come to Nigeria, there are more than 70,000 churches. +25 000 churches in Lagos. +2 500 churches in Oyo +30000 churches in the south east In Africa, we have more churches than schools and hospitals combined! More pastors than doctors. Everyone is born again!o Everyone is covered with the blood of Jesus! Jesus even became the husband of all single women (according to them) in revival churches! Everyone is filled with the Holy Spirit! However, none of these claims reflect the moral elevation that is hoped for in a society. We are among the laziest, the most deceiving, the most corrupt, the most hypocritical, the most hateful on the planet today, with all our Jesus and the Holy Spirit! Our people need to distinguish between religion and stupidity or between spirituality and tradition!. Wake up!!! religion is the modern day slavery holding Africans down...

1 Like

Re: How Religion Contributed To Underdevelopment Of Nigeria by Adelaide2: 8:53am On Apr 15, 2018
How many mosques are in Nigeria? How many imams, alfas and almajiris are in Nigeria?

That said, I agree that religion has been one of the banes of Nigeria and both Christianity and Islam are culpable, more so the latter.

Big difference:

Christianity has been a drain on the poor and a source of wealth for the clergy (pastors and bishops, etc). It has also been a source of deceit (fake healings and fake prophesies).

Islam has been a drain on national development and a source of death for everyone. It is a big source of nepotism too.

Overall, when it comes to how these religions have NEGATIVELY affected Nigeria, then Islam takes the cake.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Religion Contributed To Underdevelopment Of Nigeria by eTECTIVe(m): 9:02am On Apr 15, 2018
Adelaide2:
How many mosques are in Nigeria? How many imams, alfas and almajiris are in Nigeria?

I agree that religion has been one of the banes of Nigeria and both Christianity and Islam are culpable, more so the latter.

He is simply using Christianity as an example.. I am a Christian and he is so very right. Christians pride demselves as more superior to other religions nd as such den shld b an example but dats not d case... Despite d number of religious centres we are no better off. Take for example our VP who happens to b a pastor. We re jus a terrible lot hiding behind religion

2 Likes

Re: How Religion Contributed To Underdevelopment Of Nigeria by Obainoneandonly(m): 9:08am On Apr 15, 2018
op u dey craze o,u said religion.why d emphasis on Christianity only.careful
Re: How Religion Contributed To Underdevelopment Of Nigeria by Kingpee2(m): 9:09am On Apr 15, 2018
Honestly religion has killed loads of souls in Nigeria ,I’m a Christian but I’m not stupid not to know what is right from wrong,Nigerians will take just everything into the spiritual realm forgetting that most things should be addressed with the physical,now that the election is fast approaching all pastors seems to be seeing one prophecy or vision ,God has left the rulers of the earth to take charge of the earth ,the earlier you realize the better for you,I don’t have problems with Muslims ,I’ve not seen any of their imam or Alhaji talk about seeing vision of who the next president will be or won’t be.Most of this wahala na Christians get am.

2 Likes

Re: How Religion Contributed To Underdevelopment Of Nigeria by Adelaide2: 9:22am On Apr 15, 2018
eTECTIVe:

He is simply using Christianity as an example.. I am a Christian and he is so very right. Christians pride demselves as more superior to other religions nd as such den shld b an example but dats not d case... Despite d number of religious centres we are no better off. Take for example our VP who happens to b a pastor. We re jus a terrible lot hiding behind religion

Your midget of a VP is after all a Nigerian pastor. Nothing much should be expected of him.
Re: How Religion Contributed To Underdevelopment Of Nigeria by Adelaide2: 9:28am On Apr 15, 2018
BTW, the traditionalists have not helped matters either. The traditional Nigerian religion falls in the same category of deceit as today's Christianity. Imagine a native doctor asking you to get a human head in order to become rich. You kill someone to get their head, but you never become rich = death and deceit rolled in one chain of event.

Nigeria is so fake you could touch that fakeness.

1 Like

Re: How Religion Contributed To Underdevelopment Of Nigeria by Nobody: 9:46am On Apr 15, 2018
Religion isn't the problem, our mentality is, in Nigeria our politicias are milking us dry, instead of us to protest vigorously so everything can change, we won't do that, but we would be hailing those same politicians that are short changing us.
China is a Buddhist state, but you can't be found to be corrupt or else you would be killed, in Nigeria if you are found you will be giving a pat on the back, and the matter swept under the carpet.

2 Likes

Re: How Religion Contributed To Underdevelopment Of Nigeria by Hhenryy: 12:03pm On Apr 15, 2018
@Kingsley10000, you have raised some thought provoking points but I still feel we as Nigerians/Africans need religion more than those western or other advanced countries you are making reference to.

we are very terrible as blacks and evil minded. Even our enlightened men of God/evangelists know this fact thus they usually say "black man, black/evil thoughts & character.... White man white/good thoughts & character"
The whites use their knowledge for the benefit and advancement of the society and if they see their colleague succeeding, they don't try to bring him/her down but as for blacks.... Well you know the rest.

Religion keeps people in check and under control. Without religion in Nigeria, things will be worse as our evil nature will manifest to its fullest & unrestrained. several years ago, i had a neighbor who was a devoted Christian, a strict born again Christian. There was a cashew tree behind their house and kids with other adults used to pluck it and mess up the whole place. One day the wife became angry and made a statement........... She said if not for the fact that she is now born again, she would have placed charms on the tree

I shook my head in utter displeasure that day. But that's blacks for you............. But think of it, if not for religion that is restraining her, she would have carried out her evil thought and that's how religion is restraining alot of people from carrying out their evil thoughts/plans especially blacks.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

. / What Is Termed "Moral"? / Biblical Lamech:the More You Killed,the More You Are Protected

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.