Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,247 members, 7,825,942 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 07:04 AM

I Want To Be A Programmer - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / I Want To Be A Programmer (1869 Views)

Teach Me How To Become A Programmer / Which Phone Will You Recommend For A Programmer? / Who Is A Programmer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Want To Be A Programmer by Nobody: 10:59am On May 14, 2010
Please, I desire to be a programmer and i don't know where to start from. Please I need suggestions on how to go about it.
I am interested in Java and C++ languages.
Re: I Want To Be A Programmer by joefazee(m): 11:38am On May 14, 2010
Are you currently in school or you are planning to take a programming class? If you want to develop yourself in programming I advice you to start with scripting language like Python or PHP. C++/Java are wonderful languages but it can bring pain on your ass, so try to lay your hand on what you will be learning and also you can be making little money.

When you are learning PHP/Python you can quickly create dynamic website/intranet application for anybody and get paid for it but for C++/Java it will take very longtime before you start making money with it as very small application can take more time than expected and no client is ready to wait…

If you want to become a professional programmer, consider Assembly and C. both are not Object Oriented language but allow you to manipulate bit by bit and you have total control over the system

What did you want to do?
If you want to design phone application start Java
For Advance Desktop based application start C++
If you want to write library for another programming languages start C,C++,Assembly
If you want to create dynamic web application like facebook, youtube, google, yahoo etc, start PHP or Python (the best two options to me, java will waste too much of your time but robust)
If you want to crack/hack start Assembly or C, Python

If you want to kill a man get gun or knife hehehe… that’s just it, always think as a freemind person.

Join me at http://www.tuwana.com (Freemind platform for programmers)
Re: I Want To Be A Programmer by Nobody: 11:54am On May 14, 2010
Thanks,
I am a student. I just wrote utme but I want to develop a hobby to keep my busy. I think I will start easy since I am a complete neophyte in this field. I will go for PHP or other scripting programs for now. Where can I get resource materials? Thanks.
Re: I Want To Be A Programmer by joefazee(m): 12:11pm On May 14, 2010
Get XAMPP from apache friends at http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html#641 (Windows).
Xampp have all you need to start, from smtp server to http server, php, mysql ftp server all in one.

Get php manul from http://www.php.net
Get free PHPIDE from www.phpide.com/

welcome to the coding world
Share with free mind at http://www.tuwana.com
Re: I Want To Be A Programmer by Nobody: 6:52pm On May 14, 2010
Thanks bro. I will download and start right away.
Re: I Want To Be A Programmer by netghost: 4:47pm On May 15, 2010
@joefazee, u did well

@poster, if you are new to the programming concept in general i will say that you start with python, but you also have to put into consideration what you want to do with the programs that you will end up writing, "FUN OR SALE"

if you want to write programs with ease and with market values , learn C# and asp.net though broad, but the good thing about the language is that you do not need to have any knowledge of c or c++ to get started with it as long as you get a good text book on it, though knowledge on them will help,

personally am not a big fan of php, and i will not advise that you try diving into assembly language or you might end up never programming again,
C# also has a very large market demand world wide just like java, but its a lot easier to comprehend

GOOD LUCK
Re: I Want To Be A Programmer by Nobody: 7:19pm On May 15, 2010
netghost:

@joefazee, u did well

@poster, if you are new to the programming concept in general i will say that you start with python, but you also have to put into consideration what you want to do with the programs that you will end up writing, "FUN OR SALE"

if you want to write programs with ease and with market values , learn C# and asp.net though broad, but the good thing about the language is that you do not need to have any knowledge of c or c++ to get started with it as long as you get a good text book on it, though knowledge on them will help,

personally am not a big fan of php, and i will not advise that you try diving into assembly language or you might end up never programming again,
C# also has a very large market demand world wide just like java, but its a lot easier to comprehend

GOOD LUCK
Thanks. You have given a rather wide range of choices. Personally, I want to program just for the fun of it (but one always get to the fund with fun), to keep the mind storming. I think you should throw more light on Python and its functionalities(never heard of it). I just started basic HTML work, how about it? Is it a good foundational work? I need a lot of knowlege. Thank.
Re: I Want To Be A Programmer by netghost: 10:24pm On May 15, 2010
my advice to you is google anything you can thing about along side "python programming language", also google this book THINKING IN PYTHON
its about 186 pages, its a good place to start from,

i came across this article some days back check it out

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/3882
Re: I Want To Be A Programmer by Nobody: 3:55pm On May 16, 2010
HTML is not a Programming language!

I think it will be better you know what you want. When i started, i wanted to learn Web Development, so i started with HTML, CSS and because the web has advanced need for web based programming became a neccesity, so i picked up JavaScript Ajax and PHP. Now i am into Desktop Based APP Development with Java.

Honestly, i will not like to decieve you, if you start with HTML/CSS and the Web as a whole it will favour you, Cause u will quickly and easily learn Java, Got to know the fact that Java and PHP use the same pattern, So by the time you learn PHP you can quickly switch to Java for Desktop Based APP. And even Java has JSP for Website APP development.

But like one poster said, it is a waist to time coding for 1 month when u can do the same in 4 days with PHP (I mean for the Web).

And take it or not, Web Based APP are more paid for and Robust than Desktop based APP.

Think of Banking APP, currently developing an APP fro Gas Companies in Nigeria, That a lotta work, with a lotta money, Simply because they want it to fly on a server for multiple users/Administrators across different state to be able to alter things, it should be Web Based!

www.marknollis.com/students.html should be of assistance!
Re: I Want To Be A Programmer by Nobody: 8:08pm On May 16, 2010
@Donpuzo,
So you are invariably advising me to stick to web-based applications with a gradual shift to desktop applications with Java? Noted. I am currently practicing HTML. So I think I am on the right track. Eh man, thanks for the support, I would love to be like you when I grow up (programmingwise). Thanks. grin
Re: I Want To Be A Programmer by Nobody: 9:15pm On May 16, 2010
You are welcome, I like new bies,

Learn it well then learn CSS. I have a book on my site on proffesional CSS patterns.

No wish to be like me, wish to be better, Me i am still on the matter! Learning never stops, It's just that u have to learn fast, cause there is a lot to be learnt,
Re: I Want To Be A Programmer by Nobody: 11:43pm On May 16, 2010
I am equal to the task. With people like you on standby to help, I think I am the luckiest newbie. I am currently downloading Web Design ebook from your website. I can't wait to rock it. Thanks for the resource.
Re: I Want To Be A Programmer by Nobody: 12:47am On May 17, 2010
You are welcome,

Feel free to drop your request in the forum section of the site, and hit me up whenever neccesary,

I will be glad to assist!
Re: I Want To Be A Programmer by saints4rea(m): 2:41am On May 22, 2010
hello pls l am also a student and love and passionate to create valuable programs.l hv heard a lot bout joefazee .l am presently studing free and ready to commence coding in python which was emphasize on this topic.pls direct me to a link where l can download for free explainatory e-books on the python language.l will so much appreciate it.thank you grin

xpecting reply from all of you.you are all my inspiration to become a great and acclaimed programmer(proudy nigerian)
Re: I Want To Be A Programmer by Nobody: 4:09am On May 22, 2010
saints4rea:

hello pls l am also a student and love and passionate to create valuable programs.l hv heard a lot bout joefazee .l am presently studing free and ready to commence coding in python which was emphasize on this topic.pls direct me to a link where l can download for free explainatory e-books on the python language.l will so much appreciate it.thank you grin

xpecting reply from all of you.you are all my inspiration to become a great and acclaimed programmer(proudy nigerian)
Take a look at this website www.diveintopython.org. I think there are lots of resources there to start up with. Just download and learn. Thanks.
Re: I Want To Be A Programmer by Wysesol: 2:46pm On May 22, 2010
Thanks men for those posts, i've really not visited this forum the first time. Pls Donpuzo, I am still learning and would like to have the link for the ebook on website design. I'll really love to have it. Thanks.
As a newbie, what do you advise i do, use free google's blogger or wordpress; or to learn web design and buy a domain name i'll have to customize my own way. Pleas i need your advise on this. Thanks once more.
Re: I Want To Be A Programmer by xlfemzy(m): 3:03pm On May 24, 2010
@agi tuedor:plz am also intrested,i ve no idea of programming.u can post any useful material 2my mail xlfemzy@gmail.com.plz i dnt always ve assets 2 internet service.tanx 4 ur undstding.
Re: I Want To Be A Programmer by Nobody: 3:56pm On May 24, 2010
If you guyz need C# ebooks by Dietel, or java books and videos, or python books, you should let me know, then i will upload it online 4 u. I just wanna make sure Nigerians move forward in Information Technology.
Just keep reading, , dont stop reading, You will get there,
Share with free mind.
Re: I Want To Be A Programmer by netghost: 8:34pm On May 24, 2010
do you have videos on c#and python
Re: I Want To Be A Programmer by tundebabzy: 12:54pm On May 25, 2010
You can also learn Scheme (which is a dialect of LISP) and then use that to enter into java.
You can get materials from MIT's OCW (www.ocw.mit.edu). You will have access to MIT(Massachusetts Institute of Technology) undergraduate and graduate courses materials for free and that includes videos and audio recordings.
Best of luck
Re: I Want To Be A Programmer by Nobody: 9:31pm On May 26, 2010
@netghost, try dis link http://showmedo.com/
when i get d second one, am going 2 post it. These are 4 python. While 4 c# i only have Dietel ebook with nice graphics illustration on my pc; but i can upload it.
Re: I Want To Be A Programmer by Nobody: 5:03am On May 27, 2010
Nice python videos m.youtube.com/results?desktop_uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fresults%3Fsearch_query%3DPython%2Btutorials%26aq%3Df&aq=f&search_query=Python+tutorials&gl=US
Re: I Want To Be A Programmer by Nobody: 5:15am On May 27, 2010
hmm broken link. Just go to youtube and type python tutorials den click search, you will find a whole lot of nice videos there
Re: I Want To Be A Programmer by Nobody: 12:13pm On Oct 23, 2012
Develop3r: If you guyz need C# ebooks by Dietel, or java books and videos, or python books, you should let me know, then i will upload it online 4 u. I just wanna make sure Nigerians move forward in Information Technology.
Just keep reading, , dont stop reading, You will get there,
Share with free mind.

hey Develop3r please i will like to talk to you , i will appreciate if you can email me your details @ nsikak.joseph@centrexng.com URGENT PLEASE....

(1) (Reply)

Recommend Python Practice Projects For Freshers, / Digital Signature - An Image Utility Software / Who Can Develop College Course Registration System, And Result Upload For Nce

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.