Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,645 members, 7,809,429 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:28 AM

Beautiful Cities Of Poland - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Beautiful Cities Of Poland (7056 Views)

7 Most Beautiful Cities To Visit In Nigeria - Pictures / 12 Most Beautiful Cities In Africa 2018 (pictures) / 10 Most Beautiful Cities In Nigeria (pics, Video) - Ovoko.com.ng (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Beautiful Cities Of Poland by Ejadike(m): 7:31am On Apr 20, 2018
chukslawrence:

You guys have started.. Em hustlers, Lol.
just answer the damn question na. It might be helpful to him.
Re: Beautiful Cities Of Poland by revontuli(f): 1:24pm On Apr 20, 2018
Ejadike:
just answer the damn question na. It might be helpful to him.

I went there as a tourist, no idea about opportunities. I didn't see any African people other than a tourist couple eating at the restaurant. I think it may be language wahala cause people don't speak much English, but I saw a few Turkish and Arab kebab shops around so there is restaurant business opportunity for foreigners.
Re: Beautiful Cities Of Poland by Ejadike(m): 6:00pm On Apr 20, 2018
revontuli:

I went there as a tourist, no idea about opportunities. I didn't see any African people other than a tourist couple eating at the restaurant. I think it may be language wahala cause people don't speak much English, but I saw a few Turkish and Arab kebab shops around so there is restaurant business opportunity for foreigners.
Now you're talking... Thanks anyway for the insight, I'm sure you're enjoying your time over there.

2 Likes

Re: Beautiful Cities Of Poland by revontuli(f): 7:21pm On Apr 20, 2018
These are called Prussian hags, they are anthropomorphic stone statues from very ancient times, and were present where the old Prussian people lived in the medieval aged.

Info I found about them: "These rare statues range in height up to two meters tall and are roughly carved from granite or sandstone rock. They feature either a warrior with a horn (a ritual drinking vessel) in one hand and a sword in the other or, presumably, a religious figure with arms crossed over the chest in a self embrace. Some include details like a belt, necklace, quiver, or shield.

The statues hail from two regions in the area: Bartoszyce, in the north east of Poland near the border with Kalingrad, and Iława, in the northern central part of the country just south of Gdańsk.

Archeologists still debate the significance of the stones, whether they were originally depictions of Old Prussian Gods, local warriors, or tombstones for tribal leaders. Another hypothesis is of a purely pagan origin: in Old Prussian folklore, figures of this type are often associated with people who were magically turned into stone for various offenses and several are attributed to local legends. Still, some scholars believe the stones to be boundary markers for local communities."

1 Like

Re: Beautiful Cities Of Poland by revontuli(f): 7:26pm On Apr 20, 2018
More decorated buildings, a small park and a castle-like fantasy fairytale cathedral structure. That could easily be a sorcerer's tower and magic school!
I wish I lived in a place like this, seeing magic everywhere.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Beautiful Cities Of Poland by Nobody: 9:00pm On Apr 20, 2018
revontuli:
This is a stunning cathedral complex from the 17th century. Unfortunately I didn't have a zoom lens to zoom in the beautiful statues adorning the building, they were amazing works of art.

when you said 17th century. does it means those buildings can withstand centuries of weather
Re: Beautiful Cities Of Poland by revontuli(f): 9:05pm On Apr 20, 2018
WinningSun:

when you said 17th century. does it means those buildings can withstand centuries of weather
Yes, many of the old buildings, townhouses and cathedrals were from the 17th-18th century. I've seen even older intact buildings elsewhere. But they had renovations in the 19th and 20th centuries to repair damages. Nowadays there are regular restorations and maintenance to keep them in even better shape.

1 Like

Re: Beautiful Cities Of Poland by Nobody: 9:21pm On Apr 20, 2018
revontuli:

Yes, many of the old buildings, townhouses and cathedrals were from the 17th-18th century. I've seen even older intact buildings elsewhere. But they had renovations in the 19th and 20th centuries to repair damages. Nowadays there are regular restorations and maintenance to keep them in even better shape.

that's nice hope you enjoyed your holiday.
Re: Beautiful Cities Of Poland by revontuli(f): 9:36pm On Apr 20, 2018
WinningSun:

that's nice hope you enjoyed your holiday.

I froze to my bones since we were outdoors taking photos all 4 days, but it was a wonderful time with all the magnificent sights and great food.

1 Like

Re: Beautiful Cities Of Poland by revontuli(f): 9:39pm On Apr 20, 2018
Here is a marketplace where they sell fruits, vegetables and flowers.

4 Likes

Re: Beautiful Cities Of Poland by revontuli(f): 9:43pm On Apr 20, 2018
Too bad the towers were closed. They are open only in summer. I will definitely come back to climb those towers and take photos from there!
These red brick towers are so beautiful to look at, they withstood the time and the elements for centuries.

2 Likes

Re: Beautiful Cities Of Poland by revontuli(f): 9:46pm On Apr 20, 2018
This establishment sign style is a legacy from the medieval times.
Most people weren't literate back then, so the signs for bars, eateries and shops featured pictures showing what they sell, sometimes even a 3d symbol like a little ale keg or shoe made of wood and painted with vibrant colors.

2 Likes

Re: Beautiful Cities Of Poland by revontuli(f): 9:58pm On Apr 20, 2018
Picture 1: Old mill building
Picture 2: Cute little lion statue
Picture 3: Back of the mill
Picture 4: Mill from the side

2 Likes

Re: Beautiful Cities Of Poland by revontuli(f): 10:01pm On Apr 20, 2018
More examples of the impressive architecture and artistic touches in Gdansk.

2 Likes

Re: Beautiful Cities Of Poland by revontuli(f): 10:12pm On Apr 20, 2018
Some examples of the stunning art images on the building facades. I've never seen that kind of facades before Poland. So much beauty!

2 Likes

Re: Beautiful Cities Of Poland by gentleking90(m): 5:06am On Apr 21, 2018
please I want to visit Poland.. anybody to offer accommodation for a few days?

2 Likes

Re: Beautiful Cities Of Poland by Nobody: 9:00am On Apr 21, 2018
revontuli:

I froze to my bones since we were outdoors taking photos all 4 days, but it was a wonderful time with all the magnificent sights and great food.

aww that is good to hear
Re: Beautiful Cities Of Poland by y3mi(m): 4:57am On May 02, 2018
revontuli
Funny how you never covered or mentioned Warsaw which never saw war until war saw Warsaw. Neptune is the Roman equivalent of the Greek Poseidon. Both of which are mythological, unlike the 401 Yoruba divinities which are real supernatural forces but were unfortunately demonized by both the Euro-Arab colonialists and jihadists respectively and worst is the continual demonization of the Yoruba pantheon by my brainwashed people who see nothing eerie about European deities whenever it is exhibited as part of the cultural beauty arising from an heritage of their paganistic past as you have done here with this thread. While it attracting tourism and economic capital to their nations, the majority of my so-educated but deeply shallow fellow negroes continue to always regard whatever has to do with their ancestral believe system both in the past, present and future as objects of scorn, frights and horror. My fellow negroes have being heavily mindwashed by Abrahamic mytheology to reason in ways that must regard whatever has to do with our ancestral believe system to be utterly negative, primitive and diabolic while remaining ignorant of the fact that - the victors who rewrote their history with falsehood did not only feed our Christinized and Islamized forefathers but fed them long enough for them to continue to pass the self-condemning, ancestor-hating falsehood down the minds of their very own upcoming generation which can be verily seen on so many threads on this forum, just as commonly said offline in real life in discussion regarding discussion touching on this highlighted subject

Stallion93:
When the White men were building gallant houses years ago, our own fathers were busy selling off their bothers to slavery, living in mud houses and drinking palm wine, eating bushmeat all day, bleeding away the future of their children
Stallion93 just accept it as I hereby call you a nitwit, yes you just have to because that's what you are, and not just you alone but you and everyone like you who think they know but actually don't know anything except for the garbage they've been fed to grow with. You all just go to school to learn nothing muchless of developing that ability to analyze things, only but to play, have fun, gist about Wizkid, talk about latest dance moves and fashion trend and argue on non-educative nonsense like BBNigeria without ever making any attempt to learn something extraordinary in your respective lifetime such as conducting personal research born out of genuine curiosity with a burning desire for the need to want to know, I also say therefore paramecium has more purpose than you all. That is why you all come here and display how brainwashed and purposeless you all are. You said "When white men were building house years ago", let me help you out...

Since your statement implies that it was the Caucasian race who were wise enough to come up with the idea of building houses, well since it would come of no fruition if you are referred to go read up some suggested books on history as you all are busy desperately chasing after money and materialism while pretending to be studying in any of the fvcked high institution in this shithole, then I am inclined therefore to inform you that my own negroid ancestors for thousands of years had lived under accommodating structures built for sheltering purposes thousands of years before Semite, Mongoloid and Caucasian races, all of whom before their dispersal, lived in caves and caverns got out of their dwellings to get civilized by the advanced negro race of humans living in the continent of ancient Africa.

Even, not only does science establishes this as fact but also acknowledges it in various theory such as the 'Out of Africa' theory of human evolution. As expected, you all brainwashed cretins can continue to exercise your right to believe in the unscientifically disastrous, utter nonsense of accepting the Judaic Adam and Eve as your primogenitor.

3 Likes

Re: Beautiful Cities Of Poland by kenevision(m): 12:29pm On May 02, 2018
Stallion93:
When the White men were building gallant houses years ago, our own fathers were busy selling off their bothers to slavery, living in mud houses and drinking palm wine, eating bushmeat all day, bleeding away the future of their children

Did "Our forefathers" sell off their brothers WILLINGLY into slavery, or were they forced?

1 Like

Re: Beautiful Cities Of Poland by Davidson5(m): 11:16am On May 06, 2018
Mesmerising architect!
Re: Beautiful Cities Of Poland by LadyJasper: 2:31pm On May 06, 2018
kenevision:

Did "Our forefathers" sell off their brothers WILLINGLY into slavery, or were they forced?
They weren't forced, in fact, there has been slavery in our society, even before the coming of the white man, during those intertribal wars. When the white man came, he merely enticed our forefathers with cheap goods to do so.
Re: Beautiful Cities Of Poland by chukxie(m): 5:05pm On May 06, 2018
Beautiful Gothic architectures. I'm dazed by the beauty of Poland. I would like to travel there sometime.
Re: Beautiful Cities Of Poland by Stallion93(m): 8:24pm On May 06, 2018
kenevision:

oga they were selling them off using the proceeds to marry more wives and more meat for their selfish house
Re: Beautiful Cities Of Poland by Nobody: 8:37pm On May 06, 2018
this fucking_ racist country. I wonder what people go there to do

1 Like

Re: Beautiful Cities Of Poland by revontuli(f): 9:17pm On May 10, 2018
y3mi:
revontuli
Funny how you never covered or mentioned Warsaw which never saw war until war saw Warsaw.

I am going with order, I will post the Warsaw photos once I go through the others.
Also why such a huge rant on a travel photo thread? What does any of that have to do with appreciation of artful buildings and beautiful cities?

Anyways, I am back, I have been quite unwell and wasn't able to post anything.
Now I'm better so I can continue. The next stop of my trip was Poznan, which was quite lovely also.
Here are some examples of the architecture, on the way to the old town square.

3 Likes

Re: Beautiful Cities Of Poland by revontuli(f): 9:19pm On May 10, 2018
Colorful, gorgeous historical buildings surrounding the old town square.
The colonnaded walkway was a great shelter from the rain.

2 Likes

Re: Beautiful Cities Of Poland by revontuli(f): 9:27pm On May 10, 2018
The carved relief facades are as beautiful as the painted ones.
There was whipping cold rain, which left the streets wet and the temperature drop made it painful to take off the gloves to do camera settings.
But it was well worth it!

2 Likes

Re: Beautiful Cities Of Poland by revontuli(f): 9:32pm On May 10, 2018
Poznan city hall is a majestic building, even more gorgeous than the one in Gdansk.
First two photos feature the city hall.

3 Likes

Re: Beautiful Cities Of Poland by revontuli(f): 9:42pm On May 10, 2018
1: Statues on top of major buildings. I've seen dragons, warriors, birds, mythical creatures and Greek gods on the roofs of various buildings.
2: The castle, which has been extensively renovated. Unfortunately it was closed cause of Easter holiday so I was able to take photos from the outside only.
3: A magnificent painting adorning a building facade. A true work of art.
4: Weird little attic room windows. They look like something from a fairy tale!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Beautiful Cities Of Poland by revontuli(f): 10:30pm On May 10, 2018
I love those attic room window boxes. It must be awesome to live in such a place and look at the city from above.
They made me think of Harry Potter style magic places.

4 Likes

Re: Beautiful Cities Of Poland by revontuli(f): 8:16pm On May 11, 2018
More examples of the beautiful buildings and statues of Poznan.

3 Likes

Re: Beautiful Cities Of Poland by revontuli(f): 8:20pm On May 11, 2018
And here is the grand cathedral of Poznan, it is from the 17th century and has been renovated numerous times. The iconography, stained glass windows and the architecture is breathtaking.

These ancient cathedrals are home to some of the most amazing examples of Catholic art.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

People Afraid of Flying: What Remedy? / Stowaway Dies On Arik Flight In Lagos / My South Korea Travel Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.