Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,320 members, 7,819,097 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:08 AM

Beautiful Cities Of Poland - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Beautiful Cities Of Poland (7080 Views)

7 Most Beautiful Cities To Visit In Nigeria - Pictures / 12 Most Beautiful Cities In Africa 2018 (pictures) / 10 Most Beautiful Cities In Nigeria (pics, Video) - Ovoko.com.ng (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Beautiful Cities Of Poland by revontuli(f): 11:12pm On Apr 18, 2018
I went to Poland for a few days on Easter and saw 4 different cities. Going to share the photos here since I'm a photography hobbyist and you guys love travel photos smiley

Starting with Gdansk, which used to be once German and called Danzig.
Gdansk is a harbor city on the north side of Poland. Its old town district looks like a place out of fairy tales. My photos don't really do the justice.
I took hundreds of photos, I will sort them out and post the best ones here.

The photos here are the train station, its tower, a big cathedral and the mill building.

10 Likes

Re: Beautiful Cities Of Poland by revontuli(f): 11:15pm On Apr 18, 2018
This is the old town district of Gdansk, buildings catch your eye with their vivid colors and distinct architecture.
But this isn't even the best of it.

4 Likes

Re: Beautiful Cities Of Poland by whitebeard(m): 11:19pm On Apr 18, 2018
Do they speak English or polish
Re: Beautiful Cities Of Poland by revontuli(f): 11:24pm On Apr 18, 2018
whitebeard:
Do they speak English or polish

Their native language is Polish but most people in the service sector speak English but not very good. Some speak also German since there are many German tourists.

4 Likes

Re: Beautiful Cities Of Poland by whitebeard(m): 11:26pm On Apr 18, 2018
revontuli:

Their native language is Polish but most people in the service sector speak English but not very good. Some speak also German since there are many German tourists.
wow..thanks.!
Re: Beautiful Cities Of Poland by revontuli(f): 11:29pm On Apr 18, 2018
This is a stunning cathedral complex from the 17th century. Unfortunately I didn't have a zoom lens to zoom in the beautiful statues adorning the building, they were amazing works of art.

8 Likes

Re: Beautiful Cities Of Poland by 2O17: 11:33pm On Apr 18, 2018
Re: Beautiful Cities Of Poland by Kingsley1000(m): 6:11am On Apr 19, 2018
How much will it take one to poland from nigeria?and what are job opportunities there

2 Likes

Re: Beautiful Cities Of Poland by chukslawrence(m): 6:54am On Apr 19, 2018
Kingsley1000:
How much will it take one to poland from nigeria?and what are job opportunities there
You guys have started.. Em hustlers, Lol.

16 Likes

Re: Beautiful Cities Of Poland by revontuli(f): 10:40am On Apr 19, 2018
This is the roads leading to Gdansk old town square.
Old town districts are distinguished with the well-preserved civil buildings, grand cathedrals and beautifully decorated apartment buildings.
Squares are surrounded by buildings painted in awesome vivid colors and patterns.

6 Likes

Re: Beautiful Cities Of Poland by revontuli(f): 10:51am On Apr 19, 2018
Many old buildings had dragon, bird, warrior, ancient deity and mythical creature statues on top of them or near the roofs.
Here are two examples, too bad I didn't have a proper zoom lens to zoom into the glorious dragons and warriors.
I travel light so I packed only my wide angle lens to take architecture and city square photos. I didn't know they had all those interesting statues on top of the buildings!

cc; shaybebaby CassieV Stallion93

6 Likes

Re: Beautiful Cities Of Poland by revontuli(f): 11:10am On Apr 19, 2018
Here is one of the intricately decorated buildings with close-up of the top part.

There is Neptune with his trident. Neptune was all over the place as the city symbol, he seemed to be the patron deity of old times.

6 Likes

Re: Beautiful Cities Of Poland by CassieV(f): 11:17am On Apr 19, 2018
I especially love Europe for its historical and architectural buildings.
This is a beautiful thread Revontuli, I am definitely following.

5 Likes

Re: Beautiful Cities Of Poland by revontuli(f): 11:36am On Apr 19, 2018
Stunning carved reliefs, lace-like patterns and stylish tops decorated with statues are the hallmark of this city.

1 Like

Re: Beautiful Cities Of Poland by shaybebaby(f): 11:42am On Apr 19, 2018
revontuli:
Many old buildings had dragon, bird, warrior, ancient deity and mythical creature statues on top of them or near the roofs.
Here are two examples, too bad I didn't have a proper zoom lens to zoom into the glorious dragons and warriors.
I travel light so I packed only my wide angle lens to take architecture and city square photos. I didn't know they had all those interesting statues on top of the buildings!

cc;
Looks lovely. More pics hun.
Re: Beautiful Cities Of Poland by revontuli(f): 11:44am On Apr 19, 2018
This is the grand cathedral of Gdansk, if I remember right it is from the 17th century.
There was renovation and painting work going on, so I could take only a few photos.
Polish people are extremely religious Catholics, all churches and cathedrals were full at service hours through the entire trip since it was the Easter time. I've never seen so many people praying in any Northern European city. There were a lot of young people and families with small kids.
People kneeled before the holy shrines, something I have never seen before. These people are really religious!

This cathedral was different from all other I have seen, it felt like outside with the cobbled stone floor and super high domes.

2 Likes

Re: Beautiful Cities Of Poland by revontuli(f): 11:48am On Apr 19, 2018
Here is the Catholic art decorating the walls of this majestic cathedral.
The massive zodiac clock and the painting depicting heaven and hell with Jesus were the most stunning pieces, I looked at them for at least an hour. The lighting inside was quite dim and I didn't do the exposure settings right so the photos came out a bit dark.

4 Likes

Re: Beautiful Cities Of Poland by Stallion93(m): 12:24pm On Apr 19, 2018
revontuli:

cc; shaybebaby CassieV Stallion93
When the White men were building gallant houses years ago, our own fathers were busy selling off their bothers to slavery, living in mud houses and drinking palm wine, eating bushmeat all day, bleeding away the future of their children

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Beautiful Cities Of Poland by obaaderemi: 2:31pm On Apr 19, 2018
Stallion93:
When the White men were building gallant houses years ago, our own fathers were busy selling off their bothers to slavery, living in mud houses and drinking palm wine, eating bushmeat all day, bleeding away the future of their children
It's easy to blame ancestors. What about our own generation? Anyway, beautiful thread.

3 Likes

Re: Beautiful Cities Of Poland by obaaderemi: 2:34pm On Apr 19, 2018
revontuli:
Here is the Catholic art decorating the walls of this majestic cathedral.
The massive zodiac clock and the painting depicting heaven and hell with Jesus were the most stunning pieces, I looked at them for at least an hour. The lighting inside was quite dim and I didn't do the exposure settings right so the photos came out a bit dark.
Did you take pictures of parks?I have a soft spot for trees and greenery.
Re: Beautiful Cities Of Poland by revontuli(f): 2:39pm On Apr 19, 2018
obaaderemi:
Did you take pictures of parks?I have a soft spot for trees and greenery.

There was nothing green, parks looked dead cause it was still too cold.
I will post greenery from Finland, there is an abundance of parks and forests here!
Re: Beautiful Cities Of Poland by obaaderemi: 3:46pm On Apr 19, 2018
revontuli:

There was nothing green, parks looked dead cause it was still too cold.
I will post greenery from Finland, there is an abundance of parks and forests here!
Means Poland is just coming out of winter.
Re: Beautiful Cities Of Poland by revontuli(f): 5:21pm On Apr 19, 2018
The buildings make this place look like a fairy tale.

2 Likes

Re: Beautiful Cities Of Poland by revontuli(f): 5:26pm On Apr 19, 2018
Neptune the Roman sea deity seems to be the symbol of Gdansk. The statue was built in 1615.
He is on all kinds of souvenirs. This fountain is one of the major landmarks of the city. Here is info about it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neptune%27s_Fountain,_Gda%C5%84sk

I tried to take photos from different angles, featuring the town hall and its tower.

2 Likes

Re: Beautiful Cities Of Poland by revontuli(f): 5:27pm On Apr 19, 2018
A seagull decided to photobomb here.

6 Likes

Re: Beautiful Cities Of Poland by revontuli(f): 5:46pm On Apr 19, 2018
Polish builders had such an elegant and beautiful style. Many of these buildings have sustained damage during World War II, but have been restored good as new with the community effort.

6 Likes

Re: Beautiful Cities Of Poland by revontuli(f): 6:06pm On Apr 19, 2018
I'm a big fan of arched gateways and whenever I see one, I frame a photo with it.
Here are some of the city gates of Gdansk. The first one is the main gate of the old town, the others are side gates.

6 Likes

Re: Beautiful Cities Of Poland by iheartellah(m): 6:06pm On Apr 19, 2018
revontuli:
Neptune the Roman sea deity seems to be the symbol of Gdansk. The statue was built in 1615.
He is on all kinds of souvenirs. This fountain is one of the major landmarks of the city. Here is info about it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neptune%27s_Fountain,_Gda%C5%84sk

I tried to take photos from different angles, featuring the town hall and its tower.

The second picture tho grin grin grin
Re: Beautiful Cities Of Poland by revontuli(f): 6:40pm On Apr 19, 2018
iheartellah:
The second picture tho grin grin grin

Birds give plenty of opportunities like that smiley

2 Likes

Re: Beautiful Cities Of Poland by revontuli(f): 6:46pm On Apr 19, 2018
Now we are getting to the good parts: Riverside district.
Some of these buildings are new, and as you can see, there is ongoing construction. They are designing the new buildings to match the historical ones. No eyesore modern architecture here. These people are big on preservation.
There were a lot of tourists in this area, mainly Germans and Chinese.
The architecture is so stunning, we stared at all the details for hours.
Doesn't it look like a fairy tale?

6 Likes

Re: Beautiful Cities Of Poland by revontuli(f): 11:07pm On Apr 19, 2018
There was this cool tower on the riverside. It looks like a wizard's tower. The ivy-covered cafe next to it looks cool too. Great inspiration for fantasy art and stories.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Beautiful Cities Of Poland by revontuli(f): 11:09pm On Apr 19, 2018
The tower above is a part of a harbor structure from the old times. They made a model of it with info in Braille alphabet for the blind visitors.
I have seen other info placards at landmark sites with Braille alphabet.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Rail Passenger Traffic Dropped In Q1 2019, Says NBS / Application For Right Of Abode On Nigerian Passport / Owerri Is Beautiful Than Awka And Enugu, Umuahia.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.