Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,972 members, 7,817,859 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:24 PM

Who Really Benefits From Nigeria's 'prosperity Gospel'? (BBC News) - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Who Really Benefits From Nigeria's 'prosperity Gospel'? (BBC News) (23059 Views)

Benny Hinn Repents Of The "Prosperity Gospel" - Daddy Freeze Reacts / Who Really Is Judas Iscariot: A Traitor Or Hero? / Benny Hinn: I Am So Wrong About Prosperity Gospel, I Don't Fly Private Jets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Really Benefits From Nigeria's 'prosperity Gospel'? (BBC News) by Chuksonyeike: 12:53pm On Apr 19, 2018
Proudlyngwa:

Who is stopping the tithers from eating from their tithe.

It's quite true that so called Christian Religious Institutions have abused and misused tithing.
Does not mean we should twist what tithing is.

Bring a fraction of your sweat, be it monthly or annually pending on when you got it to my house, so that those who work in my vineyard shall eat.

the bible never mentioned monthly or weekly
Re: Who Really Benefits From Nigeria's 'prosperity Gospel'? (BBC News) by dorox(m): 12:53pm On Apr 19, 2018
Cromcruach91:

1.i shifted no goalposts...

2.Missionaries did a lot of fundrasing...that was what they did when on leave. And a lot of money came from outside the church (donations, philantrophists bringing in cash).

(As an example, a certain American christian missionary established a series of printing presses across the world...including two here in Nigeria ..to print christian materials. He raised money from a variety of sources...including very wealthy philnatrophists. And no, he did not promise that they would be blessed with two fold blessing if they donated to his ministry, and he was not rich when he died)

3.The Church schools in Nigeria have high fees because they have to pay their teachers salaries. And they have to buy stuff for the school. And they have to keep on spending cash on upgrading the facilities, etc....AND they have to pay pastors, missionaries, church workers, and other workers in their varied church buisnesses...and they have to keep a reserve of cash for bad times.

That is where I think that rich christians, CAN etc should come in. Or maybe teachers too should take salary cuts...and pastor too should stop spending money on big jets and house.

(Note that our public schools are in a worse state because 1) we pay cheap fees, 2) we don't have enough money to spend on them)

PS: By the way, I don't support the rich lifestyles of many MOG's. My support for high fees is based on realisim....and yes, I don't like the idea...but either you charge high fees...or you clsoe schools with attendant job losses, take heavy loans...and people will suffer anyway.

But it is not as if the Oyedepos and Adeboyes of Nigerian church owners have been struggling to raise billions of naira for their palatial homes and private jets.
Re: Who Really Benefits From Nigeria's 'prosperity Gospel'? (BBC News) by ajbabs(m): 12:54pm On Apr 19, 2018
Proudlyngwa:

Who is stopping the tithers from eating from their tithe.

It's quite true that so called Christian Religious Institutions have abused and misused tithing.
Does not mean we should twist what tithing is.

Bring a fraction of your sweat, be it monthly or annually pending on when you got it to my house, so that those who work in my vineyard shall eat.

Bible says the people that are to bring tithe should eat from the portion of tithe. It is a must
Re: Who Really Benefits From Nigeria's 'prosperity Gospel'? (BBC News) by Proudlyngwa(m): 1:08pm On Apr 19, 2018
Chuksonyeike:

not everyone were farmers or cattle rearers yet tithes were never paid with money.Silver was never used.Now read the deut passage again this time slowly

22 Be sure to set aside a tenth of all that your fields produce each year. 23 Eat the tithe of your grain, new wine and olive oil, and the firstborn of your herds and flocks in the presence of the Lord your God at the place he will choose as a dwelling for his Name, so that you may learn to revere the Lord your God always. 24 But if that place is too distant and you have been blessed by the Lord your God and cannot carry your tithe (because the place where the Lord will choose to put his Name is so far away), 25 then exchange your tithe for silver, and take the silver with you and go to the place the Lord your God will choose. 26 Use the silver to buy whatever you like: cattle, sheep, wine or other fermented drink, or anything you wish. Then you and your household shall eat there in the presence of the Lord your God and rejoice. 27 And do not neglect the Levites living in your towns, for they have no allotment or inheritance of their own.

28 At the end of every three years, bring all the tithes of that year’s produce and store it in your towns, 29 so that the Levites (who have no allotment or inheritance of their own) and the foreigners, the fatherless and the widows who live in your towns may come and eat and be satisfied, and so that the Lord your God may bless you in all the work of your hands

Because in those days not everyone had the proceeds of his products monthly.

24 And if the way is too long for you, so that you are not able to carry the tithe, when the Lord your God blesses you, because the place is too far from you, which the Lord your God chooses, to set his name there,

25 then you shall turn it into money and bind up the money in your hand and go to the place that the Lord your God chooses

26 and spend the money for whatever you desire—
oxen or sheep or wine or strong drink, whatever your appetite craves. And you shall eat there before the Lord your God and rejoice, you and your household.

27 And you shall not neglect the Levite who is within your towns, for he has no portion or inheritance with you.
ENGLISH STANDARD VERSION.

The law was bring to the house of God, it never also said only foodstuffs either, neither did it say or not say not to give the levies money, it said don't neglect them, meaning you could equally give them part of the money to spend on what they wished or you could buy for them.
Re: Who Really Benefits From Nigeria's 'prosperity Gospel'? (BBC News) by Proudlyngwa(m): 1:11pm On Apr 19, 2018
ajbabs:

Bible says the people that are to bring tithe should eat from the portion of tithe. It is a must
and am asking who is stopping they people from eating their tithes
Re: Who Really Benefits From Nigeria's 'prosperity Gospel'? (BBC News) by ajbabs(m): 1:12pm On Apr 19, 2018
Proudlyngwa:
and am asking who is stopping they people from eating their tithes
Those are that threat the people with hell fire.
Re: Who Really Benefits From Nigeria's 'prosperity Gospel'? (BBC News) by Proudlyngwa(m): 1:20pm On Apr 19, 2018
ajbabs:

Those are that threat the people with hell fire.

Most people left orthodox churches to go to places where they will hear what they want to hear.

When they were abandoning salvation and screaming prosperity, my God is not a poor God, blablala and people were shouting yeah yeah, didn't they know it comes with a price.

People can either choose to listen to the word of God or listen to the word of men who want to use Christianity as a means of wealth.
Re: Who Really Benefits From Nigeria's 'prosperity Gospel'? (BBC News) by Chuksonyeike: 1:34pm On Apr 19, 2018
Proudlyngwa:

Because in those days not everyone had the proceeds of his products monthly.

24 And if the way is too long for you, so that you are not able to carry the tithe, when the Lord your God blesses you, because the place is too far from you, which the Lord your God chooses, to set his name there,

25 then you shall turn it into money and bind up the money in your hand and go to the place that the Lord your God chooses

26 and spend the money for whatever you desire—
oxen or sheep or wine or strong drink, whatever your appetite craves. And you shall eat there before the Lord your God and rejoice, you and your household.

27 And you shall not neglect the Levite who is within your towns, for he has no portion or inheritance with you.
ENGLISH STANDARD VERSION.

The law was bring to the house of God, it never also said only foodstuffs either, neither did it say or not say not to give the levies money, it said don't neglect them, meaning you could equally give them part of the money to spend on what they wished or you could buy for them.

you mean you don't even understand that simple bible passage? Where in that passage was anyone asked to pay any money? Is that passage no clear enough? You want me to translate to Igbo language? BTW dis anyone dispute that tithes were not paid to levites/ Its just that uynder Christianity we don't have levites as the levithical priesthood is dead

1 Like

Re: Who Really Benefits From Nigeria's 'prosperity Gospel'? (BBC News) by ajbabs(m): 1:38pm On Apr 19, 2018
Proudlyngwa:

Most people left orthodox churches to go to places where they will hear what they want to hear.

When they were abandoning salvation and screaming prosperity, my God is not a poor God, blablala and people were shouting yeah yeah, didn't they know it comes with a price.

People can either choose to listen to the word of God or listen to the word of men who want to use Christianity as a means of wealth.
I totally agree with your second and third paragraphs.
Re: Who Really Benefits From Nigeria's 'prosperity Gospel'? (BBC News) by Proudlyngwa(m): 1:40pm On Apr 19, 2018
Chuksonyeike:

you mean you don't even understand that simple bible passage? Where in that passage was anyone asked to pay any money? Is that passage no clear enough? You want me to translate to Igbo language? BTW dis anyone dispute that tithes were not paid to levites/ Its just that uynder Christianity we don't have levites as the levithical priesthood is dead
It said if your place is far, change your wares to money, and spend as you desire, without neglecting the levies.
The Bible says bring your tithes, to the house of God, it was modified to pay your tithe.

And we do have levites in Christiandom today, they are called Priests.
Re: Who Really Benefits From Nigeria's 'prosperity Gospel'? (BBC News) by Proudlyngwa(m): 1:41pm On Apr 19, 2018
ajbabs:

I totally agree with your second and third paragraphs.
Thanks
Re: Who Really Benefits From Nigeria's 'prosperity Gospel'? (BBC News) by Chuksonyeike: 4:01pm On Apr 19, 2018
Proudlyngwa:

It said if your place is far, change your wares to money, and spend as you desire, without neglecting the levies.
The Bible says bring your tithes, to the house of God, it was modified to pay your tithe.

And we do have levites in Christiandom today, they are called Priests.

kindly provide a biblical basis for what you just spewed here.You don't even understood who the levites are.Levites are the descendants of the jewish tribe of levi.Pastors are not levites.Stop creating strange doctrines to suit your greed.Who even gave you the powers to modify tithes?

1 Like

Re: Who Really Benefits From Nigeria's 'prosperity Gospel'? (BBC News) by Proudlyngwa(m): 4:10pm On Apr 19, 2018
Chuksonyeike:

kindly provide a biblical basis for what you just spewed here.You don't even understood who the levites are.Levites are the descendants of the jewish tribe of levi.Pastors are not levites.Stop creating strange doctrines to suit your greed.Who even gave you the powers to modify tithes?

Where did I say pastors where levies. Levite symbolised something in the bible.

The status of the tribe of Levi.Pastors symbolised something, and that symbol has been passed to Priests in Christiandom.
Re: Who Really Benefits From Nigeria's 'prosperity Gospel'? (BBC News) by Chuksonyeike: 4:23pm On Apr 19, 2018
Proudlyngwa:

The status of the tribe of Levi.Pastors symbolised something, and that symbol has been passed to Priests in Christiandom.
who are these priests you are talking about and how and when exactly were tthey concerted to levites? I Hope you know any claim you make here will have to be backed up with a valid proof.You have been making a lot of claims so far without any basis for them.You claimed tithes has been modified without providing any basis for that claim next priest are now levites!!! How exactly did priests become levites? If these priests are not pastors of today who exactly are they? How exactly was the symbol of the levites passed to them?
Re: Who Really Benefits From Nigeria's 'prosperity Gospel'? (BBC News) by Proudlyngwa(m): 4:44pm On Apr 19, 2018
Chuksonyeike:
who are these priests you are talking about and how and when exactly were tthey concerted to levites? I Hope you know any claim you make here will have to be backed up with a valid proof.You have been making a lot of claims so far without any basis for them.You claimed tithes has been modified without providing any basis for that claim next priest are now levites!!! How exactly did priests become levites? If these priests are not pastors of today who exactly are they? How exactly was the symbol of the levites passed to them?
You know how to twist words, where did I say tithes was modified.
I said the roles of Levis in Israel was symbolical and that symbolism has been handed over error to priests in Christiandom.
Re: Who Really Benefits From Nigeria's 'prosperity Gospel'? (BBC News) by Kingspin(m): 7:04pm On Apr 19, 2018
This is a personal thing period. You either give or refuse it.
Re: Who Really Benefits From Nigeria's 'prosperity Gospel'? (BBC News) by GuntersChain(m): 7:20pm On Apr 19, 2018
Chorus]
Waka, waka, waka!

So I waka waka waka
I go many places
I see my people
Them dey cry cry cry
Amen, Amen, Amen
Amen, Amen, Amen
Amen, Amen, Amen
Amen, Amen, Amen
I say I waka waka waka...

I waka many village anywhere in Africa
I waka many village anywhere in Africa
Pastor's house na him dey fine pass
My people them dey stay for poor surroundings
Pastor's dress na him dey clean pass
E hard for my people for them to buy soap
Pastor na him them give respect pass
And them do bad bad bad bad bad bad things

Through Jesus Christ our Lord
(Amen, Amen, Amen!)...
Re: Who Really Benefits From Nigeria's 'prosperity Gospel'? (BBC News) by Chuksonyeike: 9:56pm On Apr 19, 2018
Proudlyngwa:

all if us are priests in christianity.You have made no points

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. / Self Prophecy By Pastor Adeboye / Pastor Newman Edward Reveals 7 Revelations Shown To Him By God

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.