Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,658 members, 7,809,492 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:31 AM

JOHESU Strike: Nigerian Government Threatens ‘no Work, No Pay’ Policy - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / JOHESU Strike: Nigerian Government Threatens ‘no Work, No Pay’ Policy (11711 Views)

The Strike Continues As FG Threatens No Work No Pay For Doctors / NMA Threatens To Embark On Strike If FG Yield To The Demands Of JOHESU / Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: JOHESU Strike: Nigerian Government Threatens ‘no Work, No Pay’ Policy by Trumps: 9:42am On Apr 19, 2018
Cromcruach91:

Sabotage or no...we got a funding gap and it is this funding gap that is driving most of these strikes.

I don't know my union NMA's position on this strike...but I know that when NMA goes on strike...they are going to get the same answer. No money.

Sabotage does not come into it.

Hospital fees and taxes may have to go up.

By the way...no work no pay IS the law of the land. If NMA goes on strike..they would get the same thing.
Dr, you are biased & sentimental NMA's domination is the clog of progress in Nigeria health sector.

1 Like

Re: JOHESU Strike: Nigerian Government Threatens ‘no Work, No Pay’ Policy by Nobody: 9:45am On Apr 19, 2018
Trumps:
This Taxi driver of a man is being economical with the truth, FGN is yet to meet 90% of their demands.
Taxi driver

Re: JOHESU Strike: Nigerian Government Threatens ‘no Work, No Pay’ Policy by dokJ: 9:47am On Apr 19, 2018
Johesu ll come back to their duty post in shame as always ...I wish FG ll effect d no work no pay threat....Nonsense!
Re: JOHESU Strike: Nigerian Government Threatens ‘no Work, No Pay’ Policy by dokJ: 9:58am On Apr 19, 2018
hospital services ll keep running even without johesu......d earlier dey realize d better
Re: JOHESU Strike: Nigerian Government Threatens ‘no Work, No Pay’ Policy by obonujoker(m): 10:03am On Apr 19, 2018
Cromcruach91:
There will be strikes in the health care sector UNLESS government increases funding for hospitals...either by

1.Praying that oil goesup to $140 per barrel..so that we can fund the budget well well.(prayer and fasting oh! smiley)

2.Increasing hospital fees.

3.Increasing taxes...to at least 50% of everyone's annual income.

4.Running hospitals as public-private ...especially the tertiary hospitals...which leads to/one of the roads to no 2.

Strike out increase taxes... only thieves go this way.. Nigeria is not ripe for it yet....
Re: JOHESU Strike: Nigerian Government Threatens ‘no Work, No Pay’ Policy by adeblow(m): 10:13am On Apr 19, 2018
Mrakeli:
The Federal Government has reacted to the ongoing strike embarked on by members of the Joint Health Sector Unions (JOHESU).

Minister of Labour and Employment, Senator Chris Ngige, while reacting to the development, on Wednesday, said government was shocked by the decision of the union to embark on another round of nationwide strike, despite its commitment to the implementation of an agreement reached with them in September 2017.

http://www.akelicious.net/2018/04/johesu-strike-nigerian-government.html
Despite your government's commitment, yet you were warned severally, and your inept attitude toward settling the issue has caused the strike. Sometimes I don't know why the only language government understands is strike, like seriously
Re: JOHESU Strike: Nigerian Government Threatens ‘no Work, No Pay’ Policy by toyinojo: 10:32am On Apr 19, 2018
Hello everyone;

Please can someone help me with the list of all health workers strike that has happened in Nigeria in the past years.
Also, the date it started and ended (duration)

Thank you. God bless
Re: JOHESU Strike: Nigerian Government Threatens ‘no Work, No Pay’ Policy by obi58: 10:35am On Apr 19, 2018
Cromcruach91:

1.We doctors too want to be adequately paid by the same govt (lol!).

2.The problem is, you cannot expect much from a health budget of less than N700billion. In my opinion, the health budget needs to shoot up to three times that to ensure everyone is paid adequately...AND hospitals are well funded.

Which won't happen.

Bros stop giving excusues for the government. If an agreement was signed in 2017 by BOTH parties pray do tell why government should be reneging on it's side of the agreement?

Who told you that the health sector is not properly funded? What should be the focus is increased accountability and probity in the use of allocated public funds for the provision of medical services part of which is the agreed renumeration of staff amongst others.

Government should not now be offering excuses of lean resources after agreements were made especially at this time of swelling foreign reserves!
Re: JOHESU Strike: Nigerian Government Threatens ‘no Work, No Pay’ Policy by Nobody: 10:42am On Apr 19, 2018
obi58:

Bros stop giving excusues for the government. If an agreement was signed in 2017 by BOTH parties pray do tell why government should be reneging on it's side of the agreement?

Who told you that the health sector is not properly funded? What should be the focus is increased accountability and probity in the use of allocated public funds for the provision of medical services part of which is the agreed renumeration of staff amongst others.

Government should not now be offering excuses of lean resources after agreements were made especially at this time of swelling foreign reserves!

Seriously we need health to have a budget in the trillions of naira for it to be up to international standards.

Health is not well funded here. Unless you want to tell me that our hospitals are all in good shape, and we hospital staff have been lying to you.

If we fight corruption, things will only get slightly better
Re: JOHESU Strike: Nigerian Government Threatens ‘no Work, No Pay’ Policy by TheUpsetGirl1(m): 10:42am On Apr 19, 2018
Cromcruach91:

So, where do you expect the government to find the money?

Answer...another loan.

Mind you...I think that govt should answer JOHESU...but how do you expect them to get the money to answer them.

One of JOHESU's demands is that retirement age would be raised. (good idea...older staff can mentor new young intakes...and it would increase professionalisim). The problem is...it means an increase in staff numbers...which has to be funded.

Oil is at $70...and in 2016 it was at $29. We have had to take loans to keep things running as it is...and we are still taking loans because oil prices could still fall. Finding the money for JOHESU now means another loan...and you would be complaining it that happened.

stop ranting about oil..
so the Nigerian government can't do without oil abi?

what if there was no oil in the south?

reasons we need restructuring.. nonsense
Re: JOHESU Strike: Nigerian Government Threatens ‘no Work, No Pay’ Policy by Nobody: 10:45am On Apr 19, 2018
TheUpsetGirl1:

stop ranting about oil..
so the Nigerian government can't do without oil abi?

what if there was no oil in the south?

reasons we need restructuring.. nonsense

So, if we got ff oil today, that means that taxes are going to go up.

Agriculture, which I believe we should focus on more, isn't earning cash like it did in the 1960's and 70's.

Restructuring might solve the funding problem for some regions but not for all.
Re: JOHESU Strike: Nigerian Government Threatens ‘no Work, No Pay’ Policy by quatrevingtdix: 10:47am On Apr 19, 2018
im sure if you guys have malaria, you'lD shout NMAs responsible.
It has happened in some facilities before with the CMDs been drs. Effecting the no work no pay, university of ilorin teaching hospital[uith] a case study, uith doctors can testify, they didnt get paid wHenn they were on Strike .
Please can you guys let NMA rest, blaming NMA for your misfortunes,its no longer intetesting...

2 Likes

Re: JOHESU Strike: Nigerian Government Threatens ‘no Work, No Pay’ Policy by olatommy7(m): 11:00am On Apr 19, 2018
You can't but imagine the kind of nma of this country, I keep asking, the johesu agitations how does it concern nma? Are they the govt? Is the benefits coming from their pockets or from their forefathers pockets, they ought to mind their business, johesu doesn't come out to counter them, if they can function alone, let's see how they'll do it without records.

P
effty:
It won't work. I would advise the NMA to stop sabotaging the efforts of JOHESU. A tree cannot make a forest.
Re: JOHESU Strike: Nigerian Government Threatens ‘no Work, No Pay’ Policy by Smartademu(m): 11:13am On Apr 19, 2018
Cromcruach91:

Sabotage or no...we got a funding gap and it is this funding gap that is driving most of these strikes.

I don't know my union NMA's position on this strike...but I know that when NMA goes on strike...they are going to get the same answer. No money.

Sabotage does not come into it.

Hospital fees and taxes may have to go up.

By the way...no work no pay IS the law of the land. If NMA goes on strike..they would get the same thing.
That is a lie, NMA has gone on strike since JOHESU's like strike and there was no such threat. And mind you, CONMESS has been reviewed as a result of the strike why can't same be done with CONHES?
Re: JOHESU Strike: Nigerian Government Threatens ‘no Work, No Pay’ Policy by TheUpsetGirl1(m): 11:19am On Apr 19, 2018
Cromcruach91:

Agriculture, which I believe we should focus on more, isn't earning cash like it did in the 1960's and 70's.

who cares about other regions?

as long as it can solve the problems of the owners
Re: JOHESU Strike: Nigerian Government Threatens ‘no Work, No Pay’ Policy by obi58: 11:28am On Apr 19, 2018
Cromcruach91:

Seriously we need health to have a budget in the trillions of naira for it to be up to international standards.

Health is not well funded here. Unless you want to tell me that our hospitals are all in good shape, and we hospital staff have been lying to you.

If we fight corruption, things will only get slightly better

We keep giving excusues for the failure of the health sector. We don't need trillions to make hospitals work and get people to do their jobs.

Even if we cannot ensure all our government owned hospitals are world class, they certainly can be far more functional.
Re: JOHESU Strike: Nigerian Government Threatens ‘no Work, No Pay’ Policy by toyinojo: 12:04pm On Apr 19, 2018
Hello everyone;

Please can someone help me with the list of all health workers strike that has happened in Nigeria in the past years.
Also, the date it started and ended (duration)

Thank you. God bless
Re: JOHESU Strike: Nigerian Government Threatens ‘no Work, No Pay’ Policy by Nobody: 1:29pm On Apr 19, 2018
obi58:

Even if we cannot ensure all our government owned hospitals are world class, they certainly can be far more functional.

Define 'functional' ?

Note that we have to

1)Import most of the equipment we use in our hospitals...we don't manufacture any of them

2.)Maintain most of these equipment...which costs money.

3.Provide light 24/7 and water 24/7...which costs money(and now we pay more for the tiny power the DISCOS dash us).

4.)Pay for research work in the hospital.

5.)Pay for all the improved staff salaries and conditions of service that we expect when salaries go up when govt answers JOHESU AND NMA positively.

6.)Buy drugs...which cost money too.(and you people would want them free of charge).

Thing is, you want $20000 health care at $200. Impossible.

Someone was complaining that Barbabra Bush lived long because of good health care in the USA...paid for by high patitent bills,high taxes, and high insurance premiums. If we were to charge that in Nigeria, whahala go land.

1 Like

Re: JOHESU Strike: Nigerian Government Threatens ‘no Work, No Pay’ Policy by Donraqh(m): 2:07pm On Apr 19, 2018
Cromcruach91:

During GEJ 's time, oil was, from 2011-14 above $100 per barrel...so the money was 'techincally' there to meet demands.

Except that even at that....it was not enough. Failure to remove oil subsidy plus spending on heavy infrastructure plus bad economic practices left little money for salaries.

Now the problem has carried over to Bubu...who met oil at $70 , then it dropped to $29 , and now it is just up to$70 again. Unless govt takes another loan....

And you think it's wise to meet the demands of Doctors and abandon other health workers, FG managed to answer the Doctors then gave a deaf ear to the Nurses, Pharmacists and other staff.

These people are buying from the same market for crying out loud. I think you should do well to understand why JOHESU Embarked on strike. Ngige just served a peripheral piece to serve their wicked act towards JOHESU.

Find out what real problem is, thank you.
Re: JOHESU Strike: Nigerian Government Threatens ‘no Work, No Pay’ Policy by Nobody: 2:15pm On Apr 19, 2018
Donraqh:

And you think it's wise to meet the demands of Doctors and abandon other health workers, FG managed to answer the Doctors then gave a deaf ear to the Nurses, Pharmacists and other staff.

These people are buying from the same market for crying out loud. I think you should do well to understand why JOHESU Embarked on strike. Ngige just served a peripheral piece to serve their wicked act towards JOHESU.

Find out what real problem is, thank you.

1.Heck, I am not into NMA-JOHESU beef. That'snot my concern. Ever since i got into my line of work...I focus on patient.

2.Yes, the govt answered doctors...and I am here to tell you that in a few years, it would soon become unsustainable. Doctors too are also leaving the country in droves...what does that tell you (Hint...it isn't because JOHESU drove them away...it is because .....money!).

As I have said elsewhere...I am for government answering JOHESU positvely,I even think that retirement age should be raised! The problem is...with which money. NMA too should be asking that quesiton...with which money is government going to sustain our demands (And govt has not anwered our demands about facilities yet.).

ASUU got 200bn yearly for 5 years for unviersites in 2013. By 2015...GEJ had stopped paying because oil prices were falling. Now..no one remebers that ASUU money anymore.

My point is....Govt should give JOHESU and NMA what they want. Even much more! But it has to be paid for...and either way it is more taxes, more loans even higher hospital fees!

1 Like

Re: JOHESU Strike: Nigerian Government Threatens ‘no Work, No Pay’ Policy by phase1: 2:42pm On Apr 19, 2018
Cromcruach91:

You are ranting like a dog. You implied that the health budget is not enough to go road. But nigerians now know how you physicians loot the monies meant for health ministry.

The Aso rock clinic headed by a physician had no table paracetamol according to Aisha Buhari but million were disbursed for that hospital and your physician colleague who is the CMD of the hospital looted the money.

With the level pf rot you Physicians have instituted in the health sector, a serious government will ban many of you from holding any administrative post in the health sector at all level.

The leader of the World health organization Tedoros is not a physician but a Medical lab Scientist and a former Executive of the African society of clinical laboratory science.
Re: JOHESU Strike: Nigerian Government Threatens ‘no Work, No Pay’ Policy by Nobody: 2:45pm On Apr 19, 2018
phase1:

You are ranting like a dog.

And you need to grow up.

Good afternoon. My point is...is there enough funding to sustain salary and other increases for doctrors and nurses, pharmacists, etc...not your infantile fight with the doctors, nurses, et al.

Don't ever insult me again. I did not insult you, you chose to do so. Grow up.

1 Like

Re: JOHESU Strike: Nigerian Government Threatens ‘no Work, No Pay’ Policy by Omonoba1: 3:28pm On Apr 19, 2018
Cromcruach91:

We doctors are yet to get any answer from govt...on our own demands...our union too went on strike not too long ago.

The only way you are going to see answers..if we are going to see answers ... is IF there is anincrease in funding.

And with oil the way it is...I doubt. Fees or taxes have to go up.

Even if NMA sabotages JOHESU or vice versa....it still does not get rid of the FUNDING elephant in the room (It only hurts us more though).
All your comment so far is filled with either my union or we doctors grin Just makes your posts so boring to read.
Re: JOHESU Strike: Nigerian Government Threatens ‘no Work, No Pay’ Policy by obi58: 3:38pm On Apr 19, 2018
Cromcruach91:

Define 'functional' ? How much is the amount budgeted for health care?

Note that we have to

1)Import most of the equipment we use in our hospitals...we don't manufacture any of them

Perhaps... We can equip our teaching hospitals reasonably well even if it is 1 per state or 2 per zone

2.)Maintain most of these equipment...which costs money.

Refer to my answer in number 1. Besides is maintenance of equipment a daily business? Periodic maintenance will be done as at when due.

3.Provide light 24/7 and water 24/7...which costs money(and now we pay more for the tiny power the DISCOS dash us).

Light perhaps but with solar power/inverter technology, this can be achieved albeit with high initial investment
This though can be done in phases Nationwide.

Also note that power generation is improving Nationwide with the investment in the power sector

4.)Pay for research work in the hospital.
Hospitals can seek for funding for their research work from corporate organizations home and abroad
Government can play an enabling role by providing tax incentives to these companies to encourage these initiatives.

5.)Pay for all the improved staff salaries and conditions of service that we expect when salaries go up when govt answers JOHESU AND NMA positively.

This government can pay higher wages (within reason) if leakages are blocked and people employed are sufficiently funded to meet their basic necessities and reminded of their sense of duty and patriotism in undertaking medical worl

6.)Buy drugs...which cost money too.(and you people would want them free of charge).

Not a problem.... Drugs can be sold at subsidized rates if need be but patients in urgent need of medical care should not be denied health care for lack of funds.

Thing is, you want $20000 health care at $200. Impossible.

BROS IT IS POSSIBLE FOR OUR HOSPITALS TO WORK AND WORK WELL IF CORRUPTION IS ELIMINATED AND PEOPLE EMPLOYED DISCHARGE THEIR DUTIES PROFESSIONALLY

Someone was complaining that Barbabra Bush lived long because of good health care in the USA...paid for by high patitent bills,high taxes, and high insurance premiums. If we were to charge that in Nigeria, whahala go land.
Re: JOHESU Strike: Nigerian Government Threatens ‘no Work, No Pay’ Policy by Nobody: 3:44pm On Apr 19, 2018
obi58:
BROS IT IS POSSIBLE FOR OUR HOSPITALS TO WORK AND WORK WELL IF CORRUPTION IS ELIMINATED AND PEOPLE EMPLOYED DISCHARGE THEIR DUTIES PROFESSIONALLY

Well, yeah...but we still need the improved equipment to serve you better...and we need better salaries...all of us doctors,nurses,pharmacists, etc...
Re: JOHESU Strike: Nigerian Government Threatens ‘no Work, No Pay’ Policy by obi58: 5:38pm On Apr 19, 2018
Cromcruach91:

Well, yeah...but we still need the improved equipment to serve you better...and we need better salaries...all of us doctors,nurses,pharmacists, etc...

Public hospitals work well even in neighbouring Ghana here so why not Nigeria the giant of AFRICA?

Answer: Greed. Both on the side of government who are determined to perform their duties perfunctorily and workers who are unwilling to be reasonable in their salary demands even though they are not willing to give their best on the job.
Re: JOHESU Strike: Nigerian Government Threatens ‘no Work, No Pay’ Policy by dumodust(m): 6:53pm On Apr 19, 2018
Nigerians are getting it wrong with the health sector
like someone rightly said here, there is no dedicated funding source, no tax, no estimate... nothing
the government just constructs mighty empty shells then nothing gets done because nothing is available except a huge workforce that in health care you may be surprised to find that it is filled by admin staff that lobby to get jobs and not healthcare professionals.
the doctor patient ratio in Nigeria is appalling and more are leaving monthly. not like the job is easier elsewhere but at least you work, get paid and feel like you have done meaningful work.
Nigerian healthcare delivery is frustrating, this cash and carry medicine is nonsense sincerely and topical discussions like healthcare funding and insurance is not even up for discussion in nigeria, it simple here, just blame the doctor for your woes, refuse to pay him, blame him for failed deals with the government, etc
the funny thing is that the healthcare workers rightly asking for more pay cant even afford healthcare bills with the same pay if they really fall ill...its all a shame really
Re: JOHESU Strike: Nigerian Government Threatens ‘no Work, No Pay’ Policy by 400billionman: 7:13pm On Apr 19, 2018
cheesy grin JOHESU are lazy Nigerian youths always going on strike
Re: JOHESU Strike: Nigerian Government Threatens ‘no Work, No Pay’ Policy by kingviny: 8:52pm On Apr 19, 2018
Please can anyone connect me to a neurosurgeon asap? my mother in law who is between life and death was scheduled to be operated upon this week. Thanks to this wicked strike by ...ESU, Luth has asked us to move her away, someone that is unconscious!

These Federal Health workers are very very wicked. They are putting money first rather than saving lives. Can't they atleast provide skeletal services to critically I'll patient? They are asking us to go to a private hospital, those ones that can charge an arm and a leg to treat an headache!

Her life is in danger , any nairaland doctor who can link me to an affordable neurosurgeon will be highly appreciated. My contact is - 07081516945
Re: JOHESU Strike: Nigerian Government Threatens ‘no Work, No Pay’ Policy by steveDpro: 9:44pm On Apr 19, 2018
Ok
Re: JOHESU Strike: Nigerian Government Threatens ‘no Work, No Pay’ Policy by somehow: 6:20am On Apr 20, 2018
And should be replaced with?
AnyDevice:
Buhari is right. Nigerian youths are lazy. If you think he’s wrong, make sure he doesn’t return in 2019

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Want To Get Rid Of My Pimples / The Courageous Story Of A Nigerian Who Lost Both Kidneys / Ebola: NAFDAC To Prosecute Ewedu Cure Claimer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.