Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,862 members, 7,817,543 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:06 PM

Oyinbo Soup - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Oyinbo Soup (4179 Views)

How To Prepare Egusi Soup - - The Ultimate Guide / ****Oyinbo Wey Share Love For EGUSI**** / A Picture Of Vincent Enyeama Cooking Okro Soup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oyinbo Soup by Hauwa1: 7:41pm On May 15, 2010
clam chowder
bean soup
tomato soup
celery and carrot soup (abi na wetin be the name sef) grin

you name it!!! when i first came here and i heard soup, i was like soup at the cafeteria? i was really excited grin
i thought "soup" was like the soup we have back home. i was disappointed. Today, i like the clam chowder and tomato soup they are my favorite. i hope to try chowder with eba one day.

what is your favorite oyinbo soup?
common in, share with us.

you are welcome to add any african soup as long it is a drinking soup  cheesy
Re: Oyinbo Soup by Travelista(f): 7:43pm On May 15, 2010
*walks in, reads op, rolls eyes and walks out again*
Re: Oyinbo Soup by Woke4all(m): 8:46pm On May 15, 2010
My favourite is Nelento scagi.
Re: Oyinbo Soup by Woke4all(m): 8:47pm On May 15, 2010
My favourite is Nelento scagi.
Re: Oyinbo Soup by maedan(f): 10:38pm On May 15, 2010
Travelista:

*walks in, reads op, rolls eyes and walks out again*

Priceless grin grin grin.

@ topic
Soups are mainly their starters in meals. I know they make them nice and thick, be it chicken, mushroom or what ever. But I don't do soups, so this topic will be a rain check for me cheesy.
Re: Oyinbo Soup by agathamari(f): 2:19am On May 17, 2010
"oyinbo soup"? is it remotely possible for you to ask a question without the slur?
Re: Oyinbo Soup by Hauwa1: 12:53pm On May 17, 2010
geez!! what's the slur in there? oyinbo is not a slur ma'am! i'm light skin and pple call me oyinbo so what is the big deal there? abeg, carry go okay.
do you want me to say white soup? white as in igbo white soup? or white as in native chalk soup? American soup? European soup? tell me so that i can change it to the term you prefer, ha!

anyway, tell us your fav soup.

agathamari:

"oyinbo soup"? is it remotely possible for you to ask a question without the slur?
Re: Oyinbo Soup by Hauwa1: 1:06pm On May 17, 2010
Agathamari, you like it now?

now back to topic and tell us your soup. post recipe if you have one
Re: Oyinbo Soup by spikedcylinder: 1:17pm On May 17, 2010
agathamari:

"oyinbo soup"?  is it remotely possible for you to ask a question without the slur?

Lol, calm down. The OP didn't mean to offend.
I don't know why I can't stop laughing.  grin grin grin
When will we go back to the days where people can say 'oyibo' pepper and it won't be seen as a racial slur. cheesy

@ topic
Will you regard soups and stews as the same under this umbrella? If yes then I'll say my fave is the South African Green Bean Bredie. Yu-mmy!
Re: Oyinbo Soup by spikedcylinder: 1:24pm On May 17, 2010
Forgot the recipe!

Vegetable oil
Lamb
Chopped onions
Chopped garlic
Fresh gingerroot
1 cup water
1 pound fresh green string beans, trimmed, washed, and cut diagonally
6 medium-sized boiling potatoes, peeled and cut into ½-inch dice
Finely chopped fresh hot chilli pepper
Dried thyme
Salt to taste
Freshly ground black pepper

In a large skillet heat the oil over moderate heat. Add the lamb and brown it in batches. Transfer pieces to a plate.

Add the onions, garlic, and ginger, and cook over low heat. Return the meat to the skillet. Cover tightly, and simmer for 30 minutes over the lowest heat. Stir in the water, green beans, potatoes, chilli peppers , thyme, salt,and bring to a boil. Cover again, reduce heat, and simmer for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally.

Re: Oyinbo Soup by Nobody: 1:47pm On May 17, 2010
chicken soup

wonton soup

tomato soup
Re: Oyinbo Soup by maedan(f): 4:00pm On May 17, 2010
What the---? People should learn to stand for their beliefs and not bend to the will of others. In short, the original title of the thread was more authentic and sensible. This new title is just hair-splitting and far from eye-catching. I would advise you to stick to "Oyinbo Soup". But then it's your topic, do what u will.
Re: Oyinbo Soup by spikedcylinder: 4:13pm On May 17, 2010
^^^^
True. In this regard, my South African soup should not even show face here.
Re: Oyinbo Soup by Nobody: 4:15pm On May 17, 2010
^^it can still show face if they brought it over from europe
Re: Oyinbo Soup by spikedcylinder: 4:18pm On May 17, 2010
^^^^
That recipe is a pride of South Africa like their Pumpkin Bredie is. Except their colonial masters took it there sha.
Re: Oyinbo Soup by Nobody: 4:23pm On May 17, 2010
^^oh, ok.

but you didnt add the name.

it looks interesting.
Re: Oyinbo Soup by spikedcylinder: 4:29pm On May 17, 2010
I did na:
spikedcylinder:

@ topic
Will you regard soups and stews as the same under this umbrella? If yes then I'll say my fave is the South African Green Bean Bredie. Yu-mmy!

Re: Oyinbo Soup by Hauwa1: 6:11pm On May 17, 2010
Spike, no abeg leave it cheesy

Meadan, no vex you see e be like say madam married our brother wink. wetin man pickin go do again, i just don't have trouser to wear or oja to tie for the usual roadside/NL fight grin
i lost track of time on NL and didn't know when oyinbo became racial slur.
anyway, let's talk abt soup am hungry.
Re: Oyinbo Soup by Hauwa1: 6:30pm On May 17, 2010
Omoge Tripp soup

shaki
gizzard
hot pepper/habenero/atarodo/ata wewe
kidney
celery
old bay
maggi
salt
potatoes
stock or water
oziza
carrot
orioma

boil the parts with salt, pepper and a lil maggi cook till soft
pour in more water or chicken stock, add old bay, oziza, orioma and potatoes cover and let it cook.
pour in carrot and celery and let cook together.

this is what am eating now. a raining weather calls for soup. phew! pepperish!
Re: Oyinbo Soup by maedan(f): 6:33pm On May 17, 2010
*Hauwa*:

Spike, no abeg leave it cheesy

Meadan, no vex you see e be like say madam married our brother wink. wetin man pickin go do again, i just don't have trouser to wear or oja to tie for the usual roadside/NL fight grin
i lost track of time on NL and didn't know when oyinbo became racial slur.
anyway, let's talk abt soup am hungry.

ok o wink.
Re: Oyinbo Soup by Hauwa1: 6:35pm On May 17, 2010
Tpia, you mean progresso or campbell tomato soup? that thing no get taste at all.
i found out that individual resturant tomato soup is more tasty. try Jason deli tomato soup, delish!
Re: Oyinbo Soup by Nobody: 7:13pm On May 17, 2010
^^really? @ the progresso and campbell thingy. Havent had a problem so far except for the calories and sodium.

i'll try the jason deli if it's available in stores. If not, then maybe a restaurant- never thought to order non-naija tomato soup that's not out of a can  shocked

@ topic

i dont think oyibo is a slur, unless old age is catching up with me and i wasnt aware when it became so. It means foreign, exotic, white or light skinned person, imo.

in fact, if a black person is called oyinbo, that's considered a compliment of the highest order.

but if it's on the list of offensive words nowadays, then so be it.
Re: Oyinbo Soup by agathamari(f): 11:47pm On May 17, 2010
^^^^^ oyibo is classified as a racial slur, feel free to look it up for yourself. you may not feel it is but others do.
Re: Oyinbo Soup by drrionelli(m): 12:01am On May 18, 2010
I certainly don't mean to digress from the topicality, but allow me to ask: I have been referenced here as "oyinbo" (also "oyibo"wink. It was, supposedly, because of my putative fondness for manifesting the formalities of the English language in my postings.

In fact, I am, indeed, a Black person (of Canadian birth, living now as a US citizen). Should I have been offended by this term? It was my assumption that the poster making the designation was doing so in a cavalier, good-natured manner.

What say thee?
Re: Oyinbo Soup by Nobody: 12:02am On May 18, 2010
agathamari:

^^^^^ oyibo is classified as a racial slur, feel free to look it up for yourself. you may not feel it is but others do.

^^can you provide a link to where it's listed as a racial slur?

its not presented that way on wiki.

I'm hearing this for the first time seriously.

also, are you aware of this site for expatriates living in nigeria:

http://www.oyibosonline.com/html/basics/oyibo/index.html
Re: Oyinbo Soup by Nobody: 12:04am On May 18, 2010
drrionelli:

I certainly don't mean to digress from the topicality, but allow me to ask: I have been referenced here as "oyinbo" (also "oyibo"wink. It was, supposedly, because of my putative fondness for manifesting the formalities of the English language in my postings.

In fact, I am, indeed, a Black person (of Canadian birth, living now as a US citizen). Should I have been offended by this term? It was my assumption that the poster making the designation was doing so in a cavalier, good-natured manner.

What say thee?

oyibo refers to a foreigner (ie non-nigerian), white or light-skinned black person. It can also apply to someone who sounds white or learned.

light skinned nigerians are also called oyibo.
Re: Oyinbo Soup by agathamari(f): 1:04am On May 18, 2010
http://www.rsdb.org/search?q=skin&sort=slur
http://www.realraptalk.com/f2/1-million-racial-slurs-z-196231/
http://www.mcgonigal.org/Data/general/RacialSlurDatabase.pdf

drrionelli:

What say thee?
as i understand, the original translation of the word means a skinless or weak person
Re: Oyinbo Soup by Nobody: 1:31am On May 18, 2010
^^hmm, well, i think many nigerians would feel slighted at being told a word they use as a term of admiration for even their own friends and family, is derogatory.(when it's not)

oyibo in general just means someone with foreign ways when applied to an average nigerian. Otherwise it stands for whites, can apply to highly learned people, light skinned blacks and foreigners who appear sophisticated.

when nigerians want to insult someone, the description wouldnt be as ambiguous as that.

look up insults in any nigerian language. The terms would most likely be adjectival, unlike oyibo which could even be portuguese for all one knows.

hmm, i learn something new everyday.

in nigeria though, to say you're going to "ilu oyinbo"(land of the white man) is a status symbol.
Re: Oyinbo Soup by agathamari(f): 1:48am On May 18, 2010
^^^^ sitting here saying that a word which is classified as a slur and is obviously a term used to describe a race is ok because teh USER is not offened by it is assinine. if a white person refered to yo with the N word (which means the color black in latin, not a skinless person as this word does) you would be up in arms for it. as per topic there is no such thing as a white soup nor is there such thing as a black soup. something common in spain isnt common in sweeden no more then something common in kenya being common in nigeria.
Re: Oyinbo Soup by Nobody: 1:58am On May 18, 2010
^^can you explain exactly how the word oyibo is derogatory.

are you making that assumption based on the 3 websites you pulled up?

if nigerians are telling you its not derogatory, then why do you insist it is? Are you trying to pick a fight with nigerians?

my great great grandma was called oyibo because she was very light skinned. Are you telling me, against the interpretation of that word as we know it in my village, that she was being insulted when in actual fact she was an object of admiration and was told so?

i dont get your logic.

oyibo isnt the same as the n word, contrary to what you think.

and i've never heard your interpretation of oyibo to mean skinless, anywhere in nigeria.
Re: Oyinbo Soup by agathamari(f): 2:09am On May 18, 2010
^^^^ oyibo in yoruba traditional means peeled skin/skinless person. how is this not derogatory in itself? people using a derogatory term often see nothing wrong with it. i could give a shit less if it is a nigerian calling me an oyibo or a white guy calling you a N. or someone calling somone esle a spik or any of a variety of other terms. i racial slur is a slur regardless of what it is and no one slur is worse then any other. you feel the N word is worse because it is used agaist you, just as an asian would feel gook is worse. strange thing is that on your own tv stations they have had numerous interviews with europeans and americans who have stated that that word is derogatory and offensive. i have even read interviews in punch to the same effect. offence lies in the reciever, as with any slur
Re: Oyinbo Soup by Nobody: 2:21am On May 18, 2010
^^the wiki link says oyibo is an igbo word, and breaks it down to give the meaning.

if people are trying to classify oyibo as a racial slur, then good luck to them in their misinformation, because they're deceiving themselves very terribly.

now, how much yoruba do you understand, and can you give me the breakdown of how exactly oyibo means what you claim it means, in yoruba.

how does oyibo translate as skinless person.

and are you aware oyibo also refers to the english language. Tell me how my illiterate grandma in the village is suddenly expected to know european geography like a pro, at her ripe old age of 80+ to 90 years. She doesnt even speak english mind you.

pineapple=ope oyinbo ie foreign/white man's palm tree. (that's a slur? )

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is There A Way To Skip Boiling Tomatoes In Stew Preparation? / I Just Finished Eating This Sexy Bread. (PICTURES) / See How ‘meat’ Is Being Wasted In Canada : Pictures Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.