Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,067 members, 7,956,988 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 01:40 AM

Oyinbo Soup - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Oyinbo Soup (4254 Views)

How To Prepare Egusi Soup - - The Ultimate Guide / ****Oyinbo Wey Share Love For EGUSI**** / A Picture Of Vincent Enyeama Cooking Okro Soup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oyinbo Soup by Nobody: 2:28am On May 18, 2010
Oyibo is a Nigerian word for "white person". Its origin is of Igbo Language. The first "White people" to settle in Nigeria as colonial masters were the English people. In Igbo language demonym takes the form " onye + the place of origin" of the person, hence, and Igbo person is called " Onye Igbo". A Yoruba person is called " Onye Yoruba". A German is "onye Germany". Thus the first white people were called "onye ocha" for singular and "ndi ocha" for plural meaning "white person and white people" respectively. This was because the Igbo people of those days did not know from where the white people came. Interaction between the Igbos and the white people resulted in the white people trying to refer to the Igbos with a name similar to what the Igbos called them, but there was problem in pronouncing Igbo words due to presence of double lettered alphabets which involve nasal pronunciation,in some of the consonants such as 'ch','gb', 'gh','gw', 'kp' ,'kw', 'nw', 'ny', 'sh'. These were not present in English language hence the difficulty in the white man's effort in giving the Igbos similar demonym as the Igbo people had given to him, instead a name resulting from a mutilation of Igbo words was produced "Oyi ibo' instead of " onyi igbo' meaning 'Igbo person' just as he 'the white man' was called ' onye ocha' meaning 'white person'. It was this 'oyi ibo' that the Igbos later started referring to as 'white person' in a way of mocking the white man for his inability in saying "Onye Igbo". This would later be adopted by other Southern Nigerian tribes as the standard name for the white man and coupled with dialect variance one obtains different pronunciations such as "Oyinbo' in Yoruba and other western Nigerian tribes. Also, 'Oyibo' means English Language in Igbo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oyibo

you can notice the ibo part of oyibo.

not to mention the fact that "oyi" can also sound like "yuro" as in european.

**shaking head in amazement**

i go soon vacate this thread.
Re: Oyinbo Soup by agathamari(f): 2:52am On May 18, 2010
you do know wikipedia is notoriously unrelaiable. you can go on there now and write an article saying the moon is made of dryer lint and it will be added to thier site. it is writen by random people online and requires NO documentation of the info. besides that - this article even states it was used to MOCK! white people because of thier accents.
Re: Oyinbo Soup by Nobody: 2:53am On May 18, 2010
^^ are the sites you posted more reliable than wiki?

children running after a foreigner in nigeria and yelling oyibo shouldnt be taken to mean people are mocking whites.

i myself was recently called negrito in a store by a misguided kid and her parent, but i wouldnt lose sleep over it since i could take their intentions any which way.

i have also been called worse insults which werent ambiguous at all, but should i decide to take offence at every single thing which[b] i think [/b] might be insulting, i doubt i'd get very far in life.

In nigeria, children also run after those long buses travelling through their towns and yell the name of the bus company, just for fun since life back home is pretty slow and any thing out of the norm is considered an event.
Re: Oyinbo Soup by agathamari(f): 2:55am On May 18, 2010
one from a university compiled by professors (3rd on my list) and one probably written by a 13 year old

hmmmmmm, i wonder which is more relable

so because bored children refer to buses by thier name it is ok to teach your child to call someone negrito or any other? this mentality does nothing but promote inapproprate racial relations
Re: Oyinbo Soup by Nobody: 3:00am On May 18, 2010
^a user id called mekuxxx claims to have a phd.

go through his posts and if you consider him a reliable source of information, then i have nothing more to say.
Re: Oyinbo Soup by Nobody: 3:05am On May 18, 2010
from your link

http://www.mcgonigal.org/Data/general/RacialSlurDatabase.pdf

Betty Crocker
Whites
Refers to white women in general

should betty crocker also be placed on the list of banned words as an unacceptable gender/racial slur since it's on that site?

as it is, i'm still on B and so far the number of slurs aimed at blacks still far surpasses that of any other race. undecided
Re: Oyinbo Soup by agathamari(f): 3:09am On May 18, 2010
betty crocker is considered a derogatory term, used mostly for house wives who act like stepford wives
Re: Oyinbo Soup by maedan(f): 4:11am On May 18, 2010
Gosh, I vowed not to post here again till the title was changed back to "Oyibo Soup" - but seriously @ agathamari you seriously demoted this thread with your (foolish) comment about the word being a slur/derogatory. We were only referring to their soups for heck's sake! Not like we were trying to put anyone down. You really need to lighten up, it's just the flipping internet!
Re: Oyinbo Soup by agathamari(f): 4:41am On May 18, 2010
^^^ yet if the title was N*ger soup you would be having a cow
Re: Oyinbo Soup by maedan(f): 4:56am On May 18, 2010
Wow. How on earth can you equate "Oyibo" with the "N" word? Talk about extreme views. Please stick to the Racist/Politics section and leave the food topics alone, you can't seem to handle them well undecided.
Re: Oyinbo Soup by agathamari(f): 5:09am On May 18, 2010
^^^ really that different? both are off hand remarks to describe another race. you want to claim that oyibo has benign roots therefor it is OK? hell the n word means the color black in Latin. cant get any more benign than that yet everyone knows it isn't acceptable to be said. you claim that because you feel it is OK there for it should be, there are thousands who say the n word is OK, doesn't make it so. the only reason why you take offence to n word is because it describes you. you all bitch and complain about how others speak about Nigerians but don't give a shit about how Nigerians talk about others.
Re: Oyinbo Soup by maedan(f): 5:18am On May 18, 2010
agathamari:

^^^ really that different? both are off hand remarks to describe another race. you want to claim that oyibo has benign roots therefor it is OK? hell the n word means the color black in Latin. cant get any more benign than that yet everyone knows it isn't acceptable to be said. you claim that because you feel it is OK there for it should be, there are thousands who say the n word is OK, doesn't make it so. the only reason why you take offence to n word is because it describes you. you all naughty woman and complain about how others speak about Nigerians but don't give a poo about how Nigerians talk about others.

Bla bla you contradict yourself. And you show up your lack of knowledge. Thank God you know "Oyibo" is merely a descriptive word, like saying "White Person". "Negro" is the word used to describe blacks, "Nig-ger" is the "N" word and the derogatory version. Calling a topic "White People's Soup" is no way offensive, I don't think even white people (yeah, I still call them that, easier than saying Caucasian - or is that word derogatory too? FFS!!!) will find the topic heading derogatory or racist once they understand that it is merely an adjective. Now run out of the kitchen, it seems too hot for you to handle. Making a mountain out of a molehill.
Re: Oyinbo Soup by Nobody: 5:27am On May 18, 2010
agathamari:

^^^ really that different? both are off hand remarks to describe another race. you want to claim that oyibo has benign roots therefor it is OK? hell the n word means the color black in Latin. cant get any more benign than that yet everyone knows it isn't acceptable to be said. you claim that because you feel it is OK there for it should be, there are thousands who say the n word is OK, doesn't make it so. the only reason why you take offence to n word is because it describes you. you all naughty woman and complain about how others speak about Nigerians but don't give a poo about how Nigerians talk about others.

i've said this at least three times now.  Let me say it again for the fourth time.

1. oyibo refers not only to whites, but any non-african foreigner even if you're not european.

2. learned nigerians/people can be also called oyibo in admiration.

3. light skinned blacks/nigerians are called oyibo.

4. A nigerian who is very sophisticated can also be referred to as oyinbo.

kindly point out exactly where in these statements, there is anything that indicates oyibo is a slur.

Is it light skin, learned or sophisticated which you consider derogatory? I'm trying really hard to see your point of view.

you say it's a yoruba word- break down the syntax which gave you that conclusion.
Re: Oyinbo Soup by Nobody: 5:32am On May 18, 2010
btw, in case you're thinking oyibo means albino, that's not the case.

there's a different word for albino but that's neither here nor there.
Re: Oyinbo Soup by spikedcylinder: 9:51am On May 18, 2010
Agatha, you need to quit your charade.
Several people have come on this thread to refute your claims that 'oyinbo' is a derogatory word. Yet you refuse claiming to know Nigerians, specifically, Yoruba words better than Nigerians themselves.
If you choose to take offense to that, that is entirely your problem alone but I think I'll speak for a lot of people if I say we should go on posting our oyinbo recipes.
Hauwa, please, change the topic back, you cannot please every Tom, Peter and Agatha. undecided
Gosh!
Re: Oyinbo Soup by Abbygyal(f): 1:08pm On May 18, 2010
@ topic
i really dunno. . . .
Re: Oyinbo Soup by Hauwa1: 2:19pm On May 18, 2010
i have ojare. . . now back to my oyibo soups  wink
now agathamari, post a soup for us for wasting our time
Re: Oyinbo Soup by Hauwa1: 2:23pm On May 18, 2010
really? oh! who would like fish and chip soup b.t.w cheesy

i like all our soup too even the black hausa soup me like cool.
Re: Oyinbo Soup by maedan(f): 2:29pm On May 18, 2010
@ topic

Better wink. The thread has regained its respectability. Now let the topic of Oyinbo/Oyibo Soups be discussed with ease and abandon cheesy.
Re: Oyinbo Soup by Nobody: 10:55pm On May 18, 2010
geez!! what's the slur in there? oyinbo is not a slur ma'am! i'm light skin and pple call me oyinbo so what is the big deal there? abeg, carry go okay.
do you want me to say white soup? white as in igbo white soup? or white as in native chalk soup? American soup? European soup? tell me so that i can change it to the term you prefer, ha!

anyway, tell us your fav soup.
cheesy grin cheesy

I've yet to come upon a Non-Nigerian soup that I'd be interested to give a second taste.
Re: Oyinbo Soup by oyinda3(f): 5:43pm On May 20, 2010
@ agatha
you are not serious at all o cheesy your english language has a word for black people (can be considered derogatory since most africans are NOT literally black). but yoruba people are not allowed to have a word for oyinbo people? 
and oyinbo is not just for whites only. most non-africans are oyinbo and that includes lebanese, asian and even biracials are considered oyinbo!

anyways, the soups i prefer are asian soups not european/american ones.  tongue
Re: Oyinbo Soup by dayokanu(m): 6:09pm On May 20, 2010
I prefer any soup prepared by oyinda kiss kiss kiss
Re: Oyinbo Soup by xxcarolxx(f): 11:58pm On May 20, 2010
Wow wot a fuss over a word, im oyinbo and i take no offence from this word at all.
Re: Oyinbo Soup by oyinda3(f): 3:28am On May 21, 2010
dayokanu:

I prefer any soup prepared by oyinda kiss kiss kiss

awww my love. problem is i don't know how to prepare soup. will u teach me? kiss kiss kiss
Re: Oyinbo Soup by dayokanu(m): 5:41pm On May 21, 2010
awww my love. problem is i don't know how to prepare soup. will u teach me?

So what do you know how to prepare.

We can learn a lot from one another
Re: Oyinbo Soup by oyinda3(f): 12:18am On May 22, 2010
naija food now grin
learn from one another as in. . . you know how to make oyinbo soup? who taught you? tongue
Re: Oyinbo Soup by 4sure72(f): 7:01am On May 22, 2010
can someone pls explain to me how to make/cook curry sauce (soup). The one that can be use for rice or other food, pictures 'll be grate as well, thx

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Avoid Having Heartburn After Eating Beans / Learning To Make Pizza / 12 nourishing and filling foods

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.